Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Rabhadh posted:

Axes are barbarian weapon is probably just a dumb DnD thing from the 70s or whenever, reinforced by heavy metal covers.

I think this goes part way to explain it, but the source more likely has to do with vikings becoming the quintessential barbarian in popular thought, and the Dane axe being a named weapon that can be directly associated with them. You also have the treatment of the pre-conquest English (and, from the 12th century, Celts too) as a barbarian people, which may have further stigmatized the weapon.

quote:

It's not uncommon to see knights with axes in medieval images, I would imagine it's entirely personal preference.

Somewhat, but a knight would not be considered completely armed without his sword. This was not just a function of price but rather, I think, because the sword was both effective and a fundamentally warlike piece of kit. We do not hear of peoples being put to the spear, despite the association of spears with war. Being made wholly of steel (OK, ferrous metal) it was more resilient than the spear or the axe, and able to be carried on one's person at all times. To speak of the spear as the "primary" weapon obfuscates that, unlike the modern assault rifle, a spear would be expected to break during use, and was mostly disposable.

I certainly agree though that axes were appropriate for nobility. Aside from the depictions you mention, kings including Robert Bruce, Edward III, and Jean II wielded axes.

It is interesting to note, though, that these men were contemporaries. The Rule of the Templars, which predates these men, makes allowances for knights to carry a "Turkish mace" in addition to his sword, but no mention of axes. Could be a cultural thing or it could be about perceived effectiveness.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rabhadh posted:

Axes are barbarian weapon is probably just a dumb DnD thing from the 70s or whenever, reinforced by heavy metal covers.

I was going to ask if anyone actually used double axes like this, since I didn't see any in the WP axe article. Apparently they did, but it was (and is) primarily a forestry tool.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The Franks liked them so much they named themselves after an axe

Where'd you get this?

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Frank&allowed_in_frame=0

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I had always heard it told that the Francisca is where the name Frank came from, your link claims its a javelin which i've never heard before.

No time to actually look into it at the moment, here is a quote from wikipedia just to illustrate I'm not the only person who has said this. Not using this as an argument. "It is traditionally assumed that Frank comes from the Germanic word for "javelin" (such as in Old English franca or Old Norse frakka).[7] There is also another theory that suggests that Frank comes from the Latin word francisca meaning ("throwing axe").[citation needed] "

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I meant more that it's etymologically unknown : the javelin thing is someone's best guess. So really not anything to base other assumptions on.

It also points out that even with that hypothesis, the direction is unknown.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
Does anyone have any good information about the early development of polearms?

My amateur interest is mostly in 10th-12th century Europe (particularly Italy), in which polearms - aside from, perhaps, the "Dane Axe" - seem almost nonexistent, and I'm interested in how that changed. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say it's probably linked to developments in the availability of armor - medieval European footmen up to the 12th century seem to have had mail only rarely, so the kite shield was pretty much the whole ballgame when it came to personal defense (along with a helmet). Under those circumstances it's understandable that you wouldn't want to be using a weapon that precluded the use of a shield. But I don't know enough about the spread of mail among foot troops and the development of early polearms to say whether these things actually tracked together.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Glass Hand posted:

My amateur interest is mostly in 10th-12th century Europe (particularly Italy), in which polearms - aside from, perhaps, the "Dane Axe" - seem almost nonexistent, and I'm interested in how that changed. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say it's probably linked to developments in the availability of armor - medieval European footmen up to the 12th century seem to have had mail only rarely, so the kite shield was pretty much the whole ballgame when it came to personal defense (along with a helmet). Under those circumstances it's understandable that you wouldn't want to be using a weapon that precluded the use of a shield. But I don't know enough about the spread of mail among foot troops and the development of early polearms to say whether these things actually tracked together.

The evolution of polearms could also be linked with the increased number of peasant revolts, because most of the polearms were just peasants' tools on longer poles.

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac

Glass Hand posted:

Personally I lean away from armour being used as an explanation for the adoption of polearms, just because I see unarmoured troops with polearms. The early Swiss halberdiers tended not to be that heavily armoured most of the time. Later on, pikemen with limited armour seems fairly normal as well. One example I quote a lot is Duke Albrecht's order around 1421, requiring “iron hat, body armour of iron or jerkin, gauntlets and a sword or knife” along with out of every 20 people, there be 4 pikes, 4 war flails, 3 handguns and 8 crossbows (and 1 unknown?).

I would interpret that as meaning that body armour of “jerkin” (presumably gambeson or heavy quilted jack) was considered enough. Although it is possible that the ones with iron armour would be armed with pikes and flails while the ones with “jerkin” use handguns or crossbows, but that's just speculation. There doesn't seem to be any suggestion that jerkin would require a shield.

Also the Flemish spiked staff (aka; goedendag) did not seem to be reserved for heavily armoured troops either. Essentially I don't think polearms necessarily required the wielder be in mail armour, I think polearms wielded by men in cloth armour seem more common, so I tend to be cautious about assuming armour was the reason people abandoned the shield in favour of polearms. On the other hand, polearms could reasonably be linked to developing/spreading armour as a countermeasure to armoured foes being more common. Personally I think developments in tactics and formations, especially combined arms, would be a major factor.

Scholagladiatoria mentions that Italy had a notable spear-and-shield tradition (I think citizen militia tradition?) that was notable in Europe – although I don't remember the exact video. Personally I see a lot of polearms as just developing from heavier spears, or winged spears, which if it is beefier would be a partisan. A hewing spear as a heavier version would be a glaive. And so on with no clear point where the variation of a spear ends and the other kind of polearm begins.

I know this is kind of vague but I hope it helps.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Railtus posted:

Personally I lean away from armour being used as an explanation for the adoption of polearms, just because I see unarmoured troops with polearms. The early Swiss halberdiers tended not to be that heavily armoured most of the time. Later on, pikemen with limited armour seems fairly normal as well. One example I quote a lot is Duke Albrecht's order around 1421, requiring “iron hat, body armour of iron or jerkin, gauntlets and a sword or knife” along with out of every 20 people, there be 4 pikes, 4 war flails, 3 handguns and 8 crossbows (and 1 unknown?).

Not to mention later on the early modern, when the standard soldier dude (if not a musketeer) is an unarmoured guy with a pike. The whole point of having a big bunch of guys with polearms is that guys with swords can't get in close enough to hurt them (plus, the pike guy will have a sidearm and drop his pike and use that instead if someone does get in close).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Not to mention later on the early modern, when the standard soldier dude (if not a musketeer) is an unarmoured guy with a pike.
he is, in fact, one third of the standard soldier dude. Statistically speaking.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

he is, in fact, one third of the standard soldier dude. Statistically speaking.

Doesn't that vary a bit by period/army? I seem to recall the Covenanters for example being closer to 50/50 (because a pike is a lot cheaper than a musket, see)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Doesn't that vary a bit by period/army? I seem to recall the Covenanters for example being closer to 50/50 (because a pike is a lot cheaper than a musket, see)
i know nothing about whatever tiny little wars a heap of insignificant nations ended up getting up to

but it does vary to a small extent, all the companies i'm looking at right now are 80:20:200 pike:halberd:musket

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
O'Neill's Ulster army around 1600 is rocking 5:1 ratio of trained musketeers to pikes.

e: with pikes being considered "unsuitable for offensive action" in the Irish landscape

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rabhadh posted:

O'Neill's Ulster army around 1600 is rocking 5:1 ratio of trained musketeers to pikes.

e: with pikes being considered "unsuitable for offensive action" in the Irish landscape
well yeah, there's a lot of broken ground there, and marsh

i crossed a wet moat with a pike in my hands once and it was way more difficult than i expected

edit: the heavy ground, brush, etc will be some protection for musketeers on its own, especially if they know how to take cover and form little teams while they wait for one another to reload. the same thing that hinders pikes makes them redundant in this situation

edit 2: i finally found the period depiction of what fighting in heavy ground is supposed to look like. yes, they did have light infantry tactics:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 21, 2016

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

feedmegin posted:

I don't know the specific ratio, but I'd be surprised. Covenanter armies were comparatively up-to-date, compared with the English troops of the period. They were the first armies in Britain (some of the first in Europe) to wear a recognisable uniform across different regiments, although admittedly it was a type of undyed gray cloth that was about the cheapest available.

Covenanter tactics were very Swedish, because most of their military leaders had been high-ranking officers with Gustavus Adolphus. The one big difference is they didn't have access to heavy horses, so their cavalry was mostly light lancers (with equipment basically unchanged from the reiver troops of a century earlier).

This is in contrast to the highlanders (or Catholics and Episcopalians, or Royalists, or however you choose to define the non-Covenanter soldiers in Scotland), some of whom were pretty old-school, making widespread use of the bow and various pole arms.

Edit: in English armies the ratio of pikes to muskets falls through the period, as tactics catch up to European standards. The New Model Army had about 2:1.

Mr Enderby fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 21, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

Covenanter tactics were very Swedish, because most of their military leaders had been high-ranking officers with Gustavus Adolphus. The one big difference is they didn't have access to heavy horses,
what are you talking about, lovely cav is extremely swedish

edit: and the word milhistorians use for clothing situations like that is proto-uniforms

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 21, 2016

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I came across some references today in some Carolingian sources to individuals fighting judicial combats with big sticks (fustes) rather than swords, etc. Does this happen in other times/places? I was under the impression that most judicial duels were fought with potentially lethal weapons.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

deadking posted:

I came across some references today in some Carolingian sources to individuals fighting judicial combats with big sticks (fustes) rather than swords, etc. Does this happen in other times/places? I was under the impression that most judicial duels were fought with potentially lethal weapons.

Now, I'm not certain whether this actually was a judicial duel, but I'll take any excuse to post Talhoffer's illustrations of "man with mace in a hole against woman with flail"

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Perestroika posted:

Now, I'm not certain whether this actually was a judicial duel, but I'll take any excuse to post Talhoffer's illustrations of "man with mace in a hole against woman with flail"

It is. And he's in the hole to make it more even.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i'm the early modern workout clothing

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Perestroika posted:

That is an awesome image, thanks for sharing! When and where is it from out of curiosity?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

deadking posted:

That is an awesome image, thanks for sharing! When and where is it from out of curiosity?

german from the language in the caption...early 16th century from the style of handwriting? i'm terrible at dating script

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAL posted:

german from the language in the caption...early 16th century from the style of handwriting? i'm terrible at dating script

mid 1400's was when talhoffer wronte fencing manuals i think

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's from this fencing manual, dated 1459.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kassad posted:

It's from this fencing manual, dated 1459.

50 years off, i suck completely

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

HEY GAL posted:

50 years off, i suck completely

Post more picks of you and your kit and we'll let it slide

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

DandyLion posted:

Post more picks of you and your kit and we'll let it slide

BBQ reenactment

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
don't post pictures of my weekend

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr Enderby posted:

I don't know the specific ratio, but I'd be surprised. Covenanter armies were comparatively up-to-date, compared with the English troops of the period. They were the first armies in Britain (some of the first in Europe) to wear a recognisable uniform across different regiments, although admittedly it was a type of undyed gray cloth that was about the cheapest available.

That's kind of what I was getting at - Scotland wasn't backward or run by stupid people or anything, and I'm sure they'd like as much shot to pike as they could get, but Scotland was a smaller and poorer country than England so it was kind of running its military on a shoestring. While it was indeed very modern for the time, I suspect the reason for the state issuing hodden grey to the troops was a comparative lack of rich dudes willing to buy uniforms for and equip regiments themselves. That said I couldn't find anything too informative looking around about Scottish pike to shot ratios, so I could be wrong on that particular point v0v

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

JaucheCharly posted:

BBQ reenactment

I'M SO SORRY IT HAD TO END LIKE THIS HERR WILLIKERS

this is so hard

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Glass Hand posted:

My amateur interest is mostly in 10th-12th century Europe (particularly Italy), in which polearms - aside from, perhaps, the "Dane Axe" - seem almost nonexistent, and I'm interested in how that changed.

We do know that there were some kinds of polearms around in the 11th and 12th centuries. Wace, writing in the mid-12th century, describes English soldiers wielding long "gisarme" at Hastings, and he uses this as a word distinct from spear or axe. What the gisarme was, however, is anyone's guess.

We also know longer spears were around. We know from the Praecepta Militaria that the average Byzantine spearman of that time wielded a weapon of around 13 ft. in length, and there was also the somewhat shorter, but much stouter, menavlion, a particularly heavy spear for dealing with kataphraktoi, which was about 11 ft. in length. I'm fairly sure Galbert of Bruges mentions pikes in the early/mid 12th c, though I haven't looked at The Murder of Charles the Good in a while.

quote:

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say it's probably linked to developments in the availability of armor - medieval European footmen up to the 12th century seem to have had mail only rarely, so the kite shield was pretty much the whole ballgame when it came to personal defense (along with a helmet). Under those circumstances it's understandable that you wouldn't want to be using a weapon that precluded the use of a shield. But I don't know enough about the spread of mail among foot troops and the development of early polearms to say whether these things actually tracked together.

Here you are mistaken! Mail may have been uncommon (though other armours were available) but it was not rare, per se. It seems probable, for example, that most of the English combatants at Hastings were mail-armoured, and all the combatants at Brémule certainly were. Indeed, Suger refers to the Norman foot soldiers as super armatos pedites. Galbert, meanwhile, makes special mention of the men of Ghent as being particularly well armored when they arrived at the siege of Bruges. Peter of Eboli, in the late 12th c., described crossbowmen as wearing mail and iron cap, contrasting them to selfbow archers who went without armour.

On the other hand, of course, Byzantine heavy infantry in the Praecepta (the guys with the long spears above) wore padded armour, including a felt cap that was wound something like a turban, and the light infantry and archers were even more lightly armored. But then these are 100-200+ years apart depending on what source you're comparing it to.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

re: pike combat, what does two pike "walls" encountering each other look like? for example, how well can one aim a thrust at the opposing line? i've always had this image of people just jabbing out blindly but that seems unrealistic. would thrusts have been "measured", with each pikeman picking a specific target and striking at will, or was it a synchronized action similar to a musket volley?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

feedmegin posted:

That said I couldn't find anything too informative looking around about Scottish pike to shot ratios, so I could be wrong on that particular point v0v

Ha, true that. Googling this stuff takes you down a rabbit hole of Sealed Knotters and miniature painters. There was some dude on a forum claiming that there was a Covenanter regiment who wore black coats, which were minister's offcasts, which would be cool if true.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

shallowj posted:

re: pike combat, what does two pike "walls" encountering each other look like? for example, how well can one aim a thrust at the opposing line? i've always had this image of people just jabbing out blindly but that seems unrealistic. would thrusts have been "measured", with each pikeman picking a specific target and striking at will, or was it a synchronized action similar to a musket volley?

I started listening to Mike Duncan's "Revolutions" podcast last night and he had a chapter about this in the English Civil War.

He described it as a push of pike, in which two opposing formations would....push on each other until one broke and routed.

He also mentioned that it would depend on the fighting spirit of the armies a little bit--including instances where neither side really felt like killing and dying and would just sort of make a show of it and hope no officers were paying attention to them.

Not that half-listening to a podcast episode in the background while playing a video game makes me an expert or anything.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

He described it as a push of pike, in which two opposing formations would....push on each other until one broke and routed.

Here is some historical footage of a Civil War battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t_4g5f04PA

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I started listening to Mike Duncan's "Revolutions" podcast last night and he had a chapter about this in the English Civil War.

He also mentioned that it would depend on the fighting spirit of the armies a little bit--including instances where neither side really felt like killing and dying and would just sort of make a show of it and hope no officers were paying attention to them.

Not that half-listening to a podcast episode in the background while playing a video game makes me an expert or anything.

Fortunately we have someone literally doing a PhD on this stuff itt!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

feedmegin posted:

Fortunately we have someone literally doing a PhD on this stuff itt!

They probably know more than me!

I guess the more I think about it the less I understand what it would a "push" would look like. I'd assume the ones in front would use the pointy end, and that would have to kill some people.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

We do know that there were some kinds of polearms around in the 11th and 12th centuries. Wace, writing in the mid-12th century, describes English soldiers wielding long "gisarme" at Hastings, and he uses this as a word distinct from spear or axe. What the gisarme was, however, is anyone's guess.

My strong suspicion would be gisarme as the French term for the English bill and similarly constructed weapons.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

shallowj posted:

you walk as fast as everyone else so you arrive where you're getting at the same time as everyone else, but it's doable--if you're in the front row, which I always am--to pick an opponent and set out to stab him, or to separate him from the rest of them by kind of "nudging" your pike along his. Remember, you would be starting out at least three feet away from every other pikeman in your block, so if there are no musketeers between you it's pretty open before people start bunching up.

the first thing my corporal told me was when you close with the other guys, "pick your opponent, look him in the eye, and think: i will go through you." of course, this is a game we have based on something kind of like "what it really was," it's not that similar to the actual combat

Ainsley McTree posted:

They probably know more than me!

I guess the more I think about it the less I understand what it would a "push" would look like. I'd assume the ones in front would use the pointy end, and that would have to kill some people.
The ones in back use the pointy end too, they lever it over your shoulder and the points come out between the points of the people in the front row. This is why among the first few things you learn is never duck while you're fighting with someone else, because when your head comes back up there'll be a pikeshaft there and you'll bonk yourself

edit: imagine one guy attempting to stab another guy with a pike and then multiply them by 1000-600

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Have any reenactors tried strapping Gopros to their head/weapons yet? Because someone should.

• Locked thread