Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

hey little boy, want to be part of my presidential nomination? i've got candy in this campaign van

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 22, 2016

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Carly and Ted should gently caress and produce a bloodline of the most hateable people in existence.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
does this mean we will have a national "#1 Trump Supporter" trophy

will it be a hand giving the finger?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ted Cruz is a cuck because his children hair color.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Ted Cruz is a cuck because his children hair color.

Rafael Ted Cruz
Two towheaded kids
Still hasn't realized
They ain't even his

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Ok...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/22/us/politics/donald-trump-ted-cruz-republican-establishment.html?referer=https://t.co/81f0CQ0mkD&_r=1

This whole article is great, but the thrust is that GOP intellectuals backing Cruz have come to the horrifying realization that GOP lobbyists and politicians would rather blow the general and lose with Trump than risk winning with Cruz.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Today I learned how to make .gifs from videos

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/690223818514763777

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

jackofarcades posted:

So working class whites with no college degree are depressed / anxious and that's made them turn to substance abuse and suicide. Trump is appealing to these emotions to get votes.

(the tweet seems to imply that Donald Trump is causing people to commit suicide, I guess)

Makes sense, Trump's base of support is definitely strongest in depressed/angry poor white people. He's hitting the usual populist (or fascist) notes, pitching a nationalistic/protectionist economic policy while also embracing socially conservative talking points that middle America so loves. I thought this article covered the point pretty well about how Trump appeals to disadvantaged white people by not worshipping free market orthodoxy and simultaneously bashing on immigrants/Muslims http://theweek.com/articles/599577/how-obscure-adviser-pat-buchanan-predicted-wild-trump-campaign-1996

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Patter Song posted:

Ok...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/22/us/politics/donald-trump-ted-cruz-republican-establishment.html?referer=https://t.co/81f0CQ0mkD&_r=1

This whole article is great, but the thrust is that GOP intellectuals backing Cruz have come to the horrifying realization that GOP lobbyists and politicians would rather blow the general and lose with Trump than risk winning with Cruz.

How long would it take the house to swing back to the Democratic party if the Democrats had the presidency until 2032?

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Within a week Silver will be wearing a Trump hat. :getin:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Patter Song posted:

Ok...

quote:

Conservative intellectuals have become convinced that Mr. Trump, with his message of nationalist-infused populism, poses an existential threat to conservatism, and plan to issue a manifesto on Friday to try to stop him.

Yes, a strongly worded letter will surly stop Trump.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xenophon posted:

Just throw ya PAC money in the air
And buy ads like you just don't care

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked the blurb on how GOP PACs haven't spent a single cent in Iowa on Trump attack ads.

They are scared shitless

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is Carly Fiorina a real person, what the gently caress

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Oh No!

Not the Conservative Intellectuals!

Anything but a 1200 word op/ed, please. Have mercy.

The not-at-all anti-intellectual base is sure to spin on a dime and come to its senses.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Xenophon posted:

Your NXT Women's Champion

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

nachos posted:

Is Carly Fiorina a real person, what the gently caress

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Do It Once Right posted:

Oh No!

Not the Conservative Intellectuals!

Anything but a 1200 word op/ed, please. Have mercy.

The not-at-all anti-intellectual base is sure to spin on a dime and come to its senses.

quote:

Rich Lowry, editor of National Review — embracing the role of his predecessor, William F. Buckley, who in the 1950s confronted the Birch Society members — has reached out to conservative thinkers to lend their names to the manifesto against Mr. Trump. He has drawn some of the country’s leading conservatives, including Erick Erickson, William Kristol and Yuval Levin, to write essays buttressing the argument that Mr. Trump has no commitment to restraining the role of government and possesses authoritarian impulses antithetical to conservative principles.

“Donald Trump is a menace to American conservatism who would take the work of generations and trample it underfoot on behalf of a populism as heedless and crude as The Donald himself,” the magazine says in an editorial that will anchor a coming special issue.

Rich Lowry, Eric Erickson, Billy Kristol, and Yuval Levin... I'm sure a few Jeb! Supporters will read it and nod along in agreement.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

I'm pretty sure George W. destroyed the Bush brand. Jeb is just the refresher course.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

But... but... my statistics :qq:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trees and Squids posted:

But... but... my statistics :qq:

Nate Silvers gets to join the honorary stumped by Trump list.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I'll need a dental breakdown to be sure (do not actually do this)

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

This is the best election cycle ever.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I want to get in a year-long groundhogs day loop of 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Not even Obama inspired anime before he became president.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Nonsense posted:

Not even Obama inspired anime before he became president.

Seriously. I guess Trump truly is the candidate to make anime real.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Montasque posted:

Rich Lowry, Eric Erickson, Billy Kristol, and Yuval Levin... I'm sure a few Jeb! Supporters will read it and nod along in agreement.

A dough faced man child, a fat blogger, a smug old conservative Jew, and some guy I've never heard of are coming out with an anti-Trump manifesto???

OH BOY, BETTER RECONSIDER MY TRUMP SUPPORT.

I mean, as much as I care about my fellow Americans, black and white, who have been ravaged by unfair trade, the importation of cheap blue collar labor via our porous borders, the importation of cheap white collar labor via VISA abuse, and the outsourcing of any and all jobs to our "trade partners" that can be feasibly exported, I SURELY wouldn't want to upset my establishment betters at RED STATE and NATIONAL REVIEW.

LOL get hosed scum. Wet your lips and get ready to kiss PRESIDENT Trump's rear end.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Xenophon posted:

What's the story behind this gif? It looks like he's running a low impact aerobics class for olds (also a description of his campaign)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Carl Killer Miller posted:

What's the story behind this gif? It looks like he's running a low impact aerobics class for olds (also a description of his campaign)

He looks like one of those weird things outside some tire/mechanic shops (?) that flap in the wind

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mitt Romney posted:

How long would it take the house to swing back to the Democratic party if the Democrats had the presidency until 2032?

A long fuckin time. Maybe by 2030 the Ds will be competitive in the House but the simple basic problem is that even without the House being gerrymandered to poo poo rural America is heavily conservative and liberals haven't (yet) managed to construct a workable coalition to get people elected in red states. Same thing with state governments, most of them are going to be red for decades

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Boosted_C5 posted:

A dough faced man child, a fat blogger, a smug old conservative Jew, and some guy I've never heard of are coming out with an anti-Trump manifesto???

OH BOY, BETTER RECONSIDER MY TRUMP SUPPORT.

I mean, as much as I care about my fellow Americans, black and white, who have been ravaged by unfair trade, the importation of cheap blue collar labor via our porous borders, the importation of cheap white collar labor via VISA abuse, and the outsourcing of any and all jobs to our "trade partners" that can be feasibly exported, I SURELY wouldn't want to upset my establishment betters at RED STATE and NATIONAL REVIEW.

LOL get hosed scum. Wet your lips and get ready to kiss PRESIDENT Trump's rear end.

The conservative movement is being found out as an identity not a coherent political ideology, and these egg heads can't handle it.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Mitt Romney posted:

they might win the house with a double digit presidential win, lots of gerrymandered districts are set up to be about 50something% republican so a really big swing can flip some of those. plus with the median house district voting for Romney by a couple points, it's not a completely impossible task like democrats winning the Wyoming legislature or Republicans winning the Hawaii legislature. they'd almost certainly lose it in the next midterm election though, and it'd basically take this year's gop worst case scenario repeating every presidential election to keep democrats in charge of congress even half the time. assuming democrats don't start showing up for midterm elections all of a sudden for some reason, probably safe to assume that won't happen

that's with the current maps. but either a wave of fair redistricting laws or referenda or a ton of democratic takeovers of state legislatures, not this year but in 2020, would have to happen to change the maps significantly. and fair districting draws maps that skew Republican since compactness and communities of interest are priorities, and democrat voting communities tend to be more concentrated than Republican ones, with higher margins of victory and therefore 'wasted' votes. still, the median district would shift slightly more democratic if Republican gerrymanders were undone, it's not the whole explanation for the median being to the right of the mean but it makes it more so

to make a house map biased toward democrats a wave of democratic gerrymanders like the ones in Maryland and Illinois would be necessary and that's really not very likely since even if democrats got control over enough states the good government tendencies of their supporters would make them less willing, and splitting concentrated centers of democratic support harms the job security of a handful of minority democrat legislators so they tend to support Republican districting plans over their own parties'. that's why corinne brown in the hideous gerrymandered district in Florida is fighting against her own party's efforts to split up her safe district so the party as a whole can win more seats

also the potential candidates in districts that voted for Romney, especially the local politicians whose careers are based on winning low turnout races in non presidential years, are more conservative than the democrats who can make it to the house currently, so a democratic congress wouldn't just mean the democratic minority getting all the things they want. there might actually have to be compromises

so i think democrats can win the house and even many state legislatures, which would let them make the maps a little better, but they're not winning the house in a neutral year without a ton of gerrymanders or getting closer to half of non urban whites to vote for them

yuval levin is the one health care 'wonk' who tells republicans what they want to hear, i think. he made a very nice career for himself these last few years providing rhetorical cover for the idea that republicans card about improving health care outcomes or had some sort of plan or alternative

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 21, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

A long fuckin time. Maybe by 2030 the Ds will be competitive in the House but the simple basic problem is that even without the House being gerrymandered to poo poo rural America is heavily conservative and liberals haven't (yet) managed to construct a workable coalition to get people elected in red states. Same thing with state governments, most of them are going to be red for decades

That's way too dire a prediction. People were talking about a Permanent Democratic Majority back in 2008-9. There is absolutely a chance that Donald Trump or Ted Cruz drives down GOP turnout enough to eke out a few state houses in the elections leading up to 2020, the election that matters.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/690224721846206465

Good news for Cruz here.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I'm not sure. A National Review reporter (Alexis Levinson) tweeted the video and said something about ol' Jebbo, and I don't have my earphones with me at work today.

redreader posted:

He looks like one of those weird things outside some tire/mechanic shops (?) that flap in the wind

when I saw it, my mind when BEEP BOOP JEB BOT ACTIVATED JEB BOT RUNNING AMOK JEB BOT POWERING DOWN BEEP

Montasque posted:

The conservative movement is being found out as an identity not a coherent political ideology, and these egg heads can't handle it.

This is a really loving good way of describing the current atmosphere.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Thump! posted:

Seriously. I guess Trump truly is the candidate to make anime real.

Alllll going according to keikaku

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Montasque posted:

Pretty much.

This months Atlantic actually has a really good article about the Republican schism. Don't know if it's been posted, but: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/01/the-great-republican-revolt/419118/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jeb! vs Rubio is like a like a bunch of brats fighting each other at the kids table during Thanksgiving dinner.

• Locked thread