Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Guys

Reality Smasher is completely absurd. The card just steals games by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

BJPaskoff posted:

An employee at my LGS and I were talking to some people about Emrakul's likely relation to Shadows Over Innistrad, and one of them said, "Wow, they're really running out of ideas, huh?". I didn't know what that was supposed to mean. A continuing story across blocks sounds like the opposite of "running out of ideas".

BFZ/OGW - The Eldrazi are BACK, baby!

Shadows - The Eldrazi are BACK, baby, but in Innistrad!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Devor posted:

BFZ/OGW - The Eldrazi are BACK, baby!

Shadows - The Eldrazi are BACK, baby, but in Innistrad!

Oh man, in a couple years when people are clamoring for shockland reprints again (they won't, lol at this bubble), we'll get Eldrazi back on ravnica! And now with all-new shocklands that also tap for colorless. :3:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Entropic posted:

Wasn't Legacy not allowed as an FNM format until recently?

It wasn't tech ically FNM it was the weekly sanctioned legacy tournament. Just happened on Friday and you didn't get promos and stuff.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They did say they were switching over to a more continuous story structure. And I guess Emrakul drones are likely to be pretty different this time around.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They did say they were switching over to a more continuous story structure. And I guess Emrakul drones are likely to be pretty different this time around.

Eldrazi thirster
Creature - Eldrazi scion vampire
Sac to add. <>
Flying
1/1

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
very sad bfz wasn't zendikar asunder or something so i could write a limited article called Secret of the OOZ

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BJPaskoff posted:

An employee at my LGS and I were talking to some people about Emrakul's likely relation to Shadows Over Innistrad, and one of them said, "Wow, they're really running out of ideas, huh?". I didn't know what that was supposed to mean. A continuing story across blocks sounds like the opposite of "running out of ideas".

Yeah, you're all probably right about Wastes and colorless mana. I don't think they'd have Shadows Over Innistrad not care about colorless mana and then Innistrad Small Set have a bunch of colorless-mana-matters cards and Wastes. Yes, Battle for Zendikar to Oath of the Gatewatch was kind of like that, with colorless-mana-matters only in the small set, but BFZ also had some things to ease into it such as most of the Eldrazi only costing a single colored mana to make them easier to cast when you're splashing the third color (for game purposes) of colorless mana.

We don't know how the Eldrazi operate, do we? They came to Zendikar, hosed up everything, and were trapped away by Sorin, Nahiri, and Ugin, but who knows what their MO for invading a plane is, because that much wasn't talked about (I don't really read the lore). Maybe they poke around and corrupt the inhabitants a bit to prepare for their arrival.

The concept of anything in Innistrad being mechanically similar to BFZ is pretty silly. poo poo, OGW is only barely mechanically similar to BFZ.

There's a lot of lingering plot threads anyways that they can pick up wherever they want - Bolas is still a dick, Eugene's still an unknown quantity, Ob Nixilis has apparently made it his life's mission to be a Superdick to the Gatewatch, and the Phyrexians are still assholes (and can show up on a million planes due to LOLKarn, who himself isn't apparently doing anything helpful)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Angry Grimace posted:

The concept of anything in Innistrad being mechanically similar to BFZ is pretty silly. poo poo, OGW is only barely mechanically similar to BFZ.

There's a lot of lingering plot threads anyways that they can pick up wherever they want - Bolas is still a dick, Eugene's still an unknown quantity, Ob Nixilis has apparently made it his life's mission to be a Superdick to the Gatewatch, and the Phyrexians are still assholes (and can show up on a million planes due to LOLKarn, who himself isn't apparently doing anything helpful)

I would prefer to soo Ob in SoI since his fight with Sorin would be pretty cool and he is a demon so it fits the flavor.

But it's probably Emrakul, which I find silly.

Edit: all I want it to go back to Shadowmoor and watch to turn back into Lorwyn again.

BRING BACK REBECCA!!!

Vvv Oh drat, what if it's Iona impersonating Avacyn after whipping her rear end and sealing her away somewhere.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 21, 2016

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
I would like to see an evil Iona, Sword of Emeria in SoI

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Angry Grimace posted:

While this is true, I hope this new storytelling initiative doesn't lead to every single set being "the Gatewatch heads to <plane> where they encounter <threat to the multiverse> and fend them off" ad infinitum.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Angry Grimace posted:

I really want a Legion of Doom made up of Elesh Norn, Nicol Bolas, Emrakul, Ob Nixilis, and Heliod, that exist solely to scheme about destroying the Superfriends Gatewatch.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I think Sorin and Ugin are likely to be the next headliners. Remember Sorin knows something about Nahiri's fate, something that he doesn't want Ugin to find out because Ugin would be mad at him.
Does that have something to do with Innistrad? WHO KNOWS

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

stinkles1112 posted:

Guys

Reality Smasher is completely absurd. The card just steals games by itself.

Really want to play it in everything, honestly.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nibble posted:

While this is true, I hope this new storytelling initiative doesn't lead to every single set being "the Gatewatch heads to <plane> where they encounter <threat to the multiverse> and fend them off" ad infinitum.

i dont want this either however

Fish Of Doom posted:

I really want a Legion of Doom made up of Elesh Norn, Nicol Bolas, Emrakul, Ob Nixilis, and Heliod, that exist solely to scheme about destroying the Superfriends Gatewatch.

i do want this

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Fish Of Doom posted:

Which one is Solomon Grundy? I hope it's Emrakul because I want flavor text with Emrakul demanding pants.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Yawgmoth posted:

Which one is Solomon Grundy? I hope it's Emrakul because I want flavor text with Emrakul demanding pants.

Evil Garruk.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Emrakul Grundy, born on every moment across infinity simultaneously, buried never.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

Really want to play it in everything, honestly.

What people think will happen:

Reality Smasher decks will finally supplant Rhino decks

What will actually happen:

Curving Anafenza into Siege Rhino into Reality Smasher

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Nibble posted:

Considering how hard wizards has been leaning into the "planeswalkers are superheroes" concept lately you probably want to keep your hopes in check

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

What people think will happen:

Reality Smasher decks will finally supplant Rhino decks

What will actually happen:

Curving Anafenza into Siege Rhino into Reality Smasher

I don't think the mana is good enough to support that.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Is there anything to watch out for when buying whole boxes of bfz/oaths on tcg player? Box/case mapping rares isn't a thing anymore right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I don't think the mana is good enough to support that.

The mana is definitely good enough to do that for azban decks but the mana overall for every other part of the deck would get worse. The question seems to be if smasher is good enough to make your mana less streamlined and more painful.

Spikes32 posted:

Is there anything to watch out for when buying whole boxes of bfz/oaths on tcg player? Box/case mapping rares isn't a thing anymore right?

Rumors are that its still a thing, just less reliable than before and requires more sealed product to figure out.

The things to watch out for when it comes to buying boxes is that you rarely get the value of the box out of them.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 21, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So, random fun fact, Jace and Nicole are showing up in a Kaijudo set (which is apparently still going strong in Japan).

When this card enters the battlefield, draw three cards and put two cards from your hand on top of your library.
When this creature attacks, return target creature an opponent controls to it's owner's hand.

If this card enters the mana zone, it comes into play tapped.
Double Breaker
When this creature enters the battlefield, your opponent chooses seven cards from his hand and discards them.
Whenever this creature attacks, destroy target creature an opponent controls.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sickening posted:

The mana is definitely good enough to do that for azban decks but the mqan overall for every other part of the deck would get worse. The question seems to be if smasher is good enough to make your mana less streamlined and more painful.

With 4 filter and 4 cities of brass that all give <> it seems doable.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sorry for the #mtgfinance, but Modern Event Deck at 85 CAD (60 USD) is a pretty good deal right now, I'm guessing?

Hang on to it sealed?

edit: How does City of Brass tap for colourless? Did the rules change?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

City of Brass definitely does not tap for colorless, where did you get that?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I assume he's talking about the new one for devoid spells but how is that useful in a deck playing anafenza and rhinos?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

The mana is definitely good enough to do that for azban decks but the mqan overall for every other part of the deck would get worse. The question seems to be if smasher is good enough to make your mana less streamlined and more painful.

Playing Abzan + Colorless is much harder than playing Abzan Blue or Abzan Red though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Zoness posted:

I assume he's talking about the new one for devoid spells but how is that useful in a deck playing anafenza and rhinos?

Yep, forgot it only did devoid. And I couldn't remember the name.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
T1: Llanowar Wastes > Warden of the First Tree
T2: Llanowar Wastes > Rakshasa Deathdealer
T3: Plains > Anafenza the Foremost
T4: any land > Seige Rhino
T5: any land > Reality Smasher

Llanowar Wastes is the key.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Sickening posted:

Rumors are that its still a thing, just less reliable than before and requires more sealed product to figure out.

The things to watch out for when it comes to buying boxes is that you rarely get the value of the box out of them.

Thanks, it would be for drafting with friends so the returned value isn't what we're looking for.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

T1: Llanowar Wastes > Warden of the First Tree
T2: Llanowar Wastes > Rakshasa Deathdealer
T3: Plains > Anafenza the Foremost
T4: any land > Seige Rhino
T5: any land > Reality Smasher

Llanowar Wastes is the key.

Of which there are four in your deck with no way to fetch or tutor them up. That doesn't sound very consistent.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Of which there are four in your deck with no way to fetch or tutor them up. That doesn't sound very consistent.

You could play caves of koilos and Yavimaya coast too I guess.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Playing Abzan + Colorless is much harder than playing Abzan Blue or Abzan Red though.

Of course the mana isn't as good for a number of different reasons. I would consider the mana for colored decks to be about as perfect as it ever gets in standard right now.

Painlands however would make the mana work to the level that was reasonable for about any 3 color deck pre-battle lands. The question is if reality smasher and other deviod stuff is powerful enough to make the mana worse for it. I have no idea because I haven't playtested any new standard at all. We will find out this weekend though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

You could play caves of koilos and Yavimaya coast too I guess.

That's starting to sound really painful. I wonder if it'll be a good weekend for burn.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Of course the mana isn't as good for a number of different reasons. I would consider the mana for colored decks to be about as perfect as it ever gets in standard right now.

Painlands however would make the mana work to the level that was reasonable for about any 3 color deck pre-battle lands. The question is if reality smasher and other deviod stuff is powerful enough to make the mana worse for it. I have no idea because I haven't playtested any new standard at all. We will find out this weekend though.

Pre battle lands we had Scry lands though. those were HUGE in terms of mana fixing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ramos posted:

That's starting to sound really painful. I wonder if it'll be a good weekend for burn.

yeah mono-red (with atarka's command i guess) will be real good if thats what mana looks like

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah mono-red (with atarka's command i guess) will be real good if thats what mana looks like

2 color decks with colorless spells are going to be very good mana wise though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ramos posted:

So, random fun fact, Jace and Nicole are showing up in a Kaijudo set (which is apparently still going strong in Japan).

When this card enters the battlefield, draw three cards and put two cards from your hand on top of your library.
When this creature attacks, return target creature an opponent controls to it's owner's hand.

I like how Jace has this beefed up badass body with like kevlar body armor, and still has his dumb nerd babyface.

• Locked thread