Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

corn in the bible posted:

February botm should be Finnegan's Wake

tell the rest of the forum Finnegan is a spaceship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S5UTbUSiLM

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In high school, we had to read Waiting for Godot. We had to write a paper explaining who we thought Godot was. One guy argued that Godot was a polar bear. He got an A

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

tell the rest of the forum Finnegan is a spaceship

that is in fact the correct reading.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Smoking Crow posted:

In high school, we had to read Waiting for Godot. We had to write a paper explaining who we thought Godot was. One guy argued that Godot was a polar bear. He got an A

If I had a talking polar bear friend I'd wait as long as it took to hang out with him. Seems legit.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Earwicker posted:

that is in fact the correct reading.

Actually, the opposite interpretation is true.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Smoking Crow posted:

Godot is Clov

*mind blown*

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I choose to believe Godot is a really rad nineties dude on a skateboard, and he's like hella cool and he does wheelies

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I choose to believe Godot is a really rad nineties dude on a skateboard, and he's like hella cool and he does wheelies

Waiting for Gogurt - the Radical Yogurt

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

My story was a true story and it's a great one, you ungrateful fucks.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I do not doubt it, but the problem is that there is sort of nothing to talk about.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Actually, the opposite interpretation is true.

what is the opposite of a spaceship?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Waiting for Gokot

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Earwicker posted:

a clipper or dinghy

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

blue squares posted:

My story was a true story and it's a great one, you ungrateful fucks.

my grandfather was a moldovan sheep farmer

and i'm a 1/4 sheep

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Did you leave in the possessive apostrophe on purpose?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Earwicker posted:

Something that comes from space and goes to the earth...
A meteorite!

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
Speaking of Italian women, I just finished Focault's Pendulum and I want to talk about how Eco used his female characters to represent different kinds of truth or knowledge or whatever.
It's explicitly mentioned that Lorenza represents occult knowledge, which is unattainable by non-initiates but seems to be possessed by a chosen elect which is how Casaubon perceives the relationship between Lorenza and Belbo.
Lia is knowledge obtained through reason, as she figures out the truth behind the "poem" discovered by Colonel Ardenti and forces the reader and Casaubon to realize that the Plan is a farce even if the occultists believe in it.
Amparo represents ideological knowledge when she refuses to believe in her cultural traditions and is angry/disgusted at herself for succumbing to that belief.

Once we look at the book this way it's clear that Casaubon's relationships with these characters reflects his relationship with the knowledge they represent, he discarded his ideology when he came back from South America after Amparo left him, and he found that Italy had moved on politically. In the latter half of the book he is in a serious relationship with Lia but is tempted by Lorenza (even though I don't think its ever made clear whether Lorenza is trying to seduce him) which is representative of him being obsessed with the Plan while trying to pretend that its all just a joke. Once everything falls apart after the meeting in the Consortium, Casaubon is able to take solace that Lia and his child will be alright, whereas Lorenza was killed by the occultists who were supposed to have protected her.

I hope you enjoyed all these loving words I wrote about this book I really like.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

TheManFromFOXHOUND posted:

I hope you enjoyed all these loving words I wrote about this book I really like.

I didn't, because I intend to read it myself and don't want spoilers, but once I do I will comment on them.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah so gently caress Sophia. Sorry, but I find the writing style so unbelievably insufferable. It actually makes me a little mad. It's all these short little segments. Here's an example:

quote:

A fugitive walks through the football stadium filling with snow. A trillion stars flicker in the theoretical multiverse. Eli, I wonder if Jesus ever had a wet dream?

I can only imagine the writer sat back and smiled the smuggest smile in the world after he wrote that for his MFA class.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 21, 2016

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Why are you guys suddenly posting so fast

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Yeah so gently caress Sophia. Sorry, but I find the writing style so unbelievably insufferable. It actually makes me a little mad. It's all these short little segments. Here's an example:

I can only imagine the writer sat back and smiled the smuggest smile in the world after he wrote that for his MFA class.

I can understand that. I just dig on how unbelievably absurd the events become and the mixture of the profane with the boozed out ramblings of a half competent junkie preacher.

Dffrent Strokes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mallamp posted:

Why are you guys suddenly posting so fast

Sitting in my office trying to construct a syllabus for an SAT prep course for Saudi geniuses and I need a break

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nakar posted:

Did you leave in the possessive apostrophe on purpose?

yes. who the gently caress do you take me for

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

february botm should be albert of adelaide

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

yes. who the gently caress do you take me for
I wouldn't have even asked if I didn't suspect you did it intentionally.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
http://www.theawl.com/2016/01/the-50-most-unacceptable-sentences-in-city-on-fire-in-order

I was planning to read City on Fire next but this is making me think it's bad, is it bad?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

peanut- posted:

http://www.theawl.com/2016/01/the-50-most-unacceptable-sentences-in-city-on-fire-in-order

I was planning to read City on Fire next but this is making me think it's bad, is it bad?

I liked a couple of those lines actually

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

#1 owns

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

8, 9, and 17 too

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Yeah, let these sentences devoid of context that are being used specifically to make you think the novel is bad shape your opinion.

I have about two hundred pages left in it. It's worth reading.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like 9 objectively owns and 1 is funny as hell

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

peanut- posted:

i'm really enjoying it, a little more than halfway

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hell I am gonna pause Ferrante now and read City on Fire

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
talking about gay american authors: has anybody here read richard ford's 'canada'? there's something about its narrative structure that i've been wondering about ever since i read it last week.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

City on Fire is by far my book of the year. His metaphors run the gamut from profound to puzzling to hilarious, like a homeless man who reads the future in the tea-leaf patterns of used diapers.

(That one is mine)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

talking about gay american authors: has anybody here read richard ford's 'canada'? there's something about its narrative structure that i've been wondering about ever since i read it last week.

Read it, what do you wanna know

it owns btw

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

like a homeless man who reads the future in the tea-leaf patterns of used diapers.

(That one is mine)

and you say you don't like Sophia

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It seems kind of unfair to take things that are obviously from dialogue and hold them out as bad sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

blue squares posted:

His message is perfectly clear. The meaning of a book is something that is created between each pair of reader & author. There is no one right thing. Each reader comes to the table with a different set of experiences and knowledge which will influence that reader's experience of the book. No two people will ever experience a book the same way, ever, so there can be no identical readings from a book between any two people, ever, so there is no one right answer, ever.

Yes this is it. For example now that I'm vegan I do a vegan reading of everything I read/watch, like The Revenant.