Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

What kind of bizzaro-fallout are you playing??

fallout 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I walked right into that one.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Institute gives you:
- The best power armor paint in the game

The best paint is obviously the shark paint :colbert:.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Hot Pink or nothing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Atom Cats' paint is the best

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find that the companion writing in this game is definitely a step up from Fallout 3, but I am annoyed at how much of it still relies on poo poo that happened before the bombs fell, or how everything is way too connected. Hancock doesn't need to be McDonough's brother, for example. It doesn't really add anything. And I was frustrated with how Nick and MacCready's quests relied on stuff from the prewar. That alone wasn't a big issue for me, but the fact that Winter and the serum were still lying around that long made things feel way too convenient. It would have been great to see Nick go on this huge vengeance hunt, only to find that Winter had died years ago, and Nick was the only one keeping the old Valentine alive with his obsession. But no, Winter has to be alive in his bunker because Ghouls apparently don't have to eat anymore.

The MacCready one isn't as bad, but I'm still getting sick of diving into old world ruins for the magic cure.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

dangerous.hotdog posted:

What kind of bizzaro-fallout are you playing??

Jet pack and medic pump can be made by crafting . Vertibirds can be re-commisioned by the Minutemen or Railroad so you don't actually have to pick BoS to be able to use them.

Institute gives you:
- The best power armor paint in the game (and the only unique paint that can be used on X-01; BoS paint can only be used on T60, Minutemen on T51, and Railroad is too poor to afford PA).
- Instant teleportation. Might seem stupid but if you're popping chems/buffs, it's the only way to maintain them while fast traveling (especially Well Rested/Lover's Embrace +xp% boosts). Plus it's annoying as gently caress to reach DC just as everything is closing.
- Free medical care. All those other cheap fucks charge you to cure rads and poo poo. What the hell?
- Maxson's and Brandis's unique outfits.
- An opportunity to mass-murder the Railroad hippies.
- The Classical radio station. Destroying the Institute removes this station.

Institute #1 faction

Well besides the "best paint job in the game" I'm talking about immediate rewards for beating the game not just being friendly with a faction. You can get all that stuff without beating the game with the institute. And you can only teleport if you fast travel from the institute so you need to go through 2 loading screens to teleport somewhere if your not in the institute already. Ughhhhhhh.....

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

dangerous.hotdog posted:

- The best power armor paint in the game (and the only unique paint that can be used on X-01; BoS paint can only be used on T60, Minutemen on T51, and Railroad is too poor to afford PA).

Railroad paint is T-51 specific and looks pretty cool, minutemen is T-45, not T-51

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Arcsquad12 posted:

It would have been great to see Nick go on this huge vengeance hunt, only to find that Winter had died years ago, and Nick was the only one keeping the old Valentine alive with his obsession.

God, I hoped so much that this was going to be the case.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I made a goof. I used scrapall to clear out Sanctuary, but unfortunately it scrapped the Power Armor Station. Is there an easy way to get it back without putting a lot of points in Charisma and Local Leader?

If not I may just move my power armor collection to the Red Rocket station. I'm just worried because I heard my armor can get stolen. Does that still happen?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Where's this scrapall option? I have never seen it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Zephyrine posted:

Where's this scrapall option? I have never seen it.

It's a console command so if you're not on PC you're outta luck

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Quick settlement question - is there a way to have settlers automatically arm and equip themselves, or do I have to hand weapons/armor to each one individually?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Travic posted:

So I made a goof. I used scrapall to clear out Sanctuary, but unfortunately it scrapped the Power Armor Station. Is there an easy way to get it back without putting a lot of points in Charisma and Local Leader?

There isn't save for console command spawning one. In the future be careful using 'scrapall' or 'markfordeletion', they do exactly what their name says. If you accidentally select your own id you can even mark the player object for deletion.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

CJacobs posted:

There isn't save for console command spawning one. In the future be careful using 'scrapall' or 'markfordeletion', they do exactly what their name says. If you accidentally select your own id you can even mark the player object for deletion.

Lesson learned.

Would my armor be safe at Red Rocket or will it get stolen? Can I put up a building with no doors to keep it safe?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Technically your power armor can be jacked from anywhere if you leave it long enough, but if you take the power core out of it, it can't be stolen. Just access its inventory and you can do it from there.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The best faction to side with is the Railroad because you only have one loading screen and then you're in their tiny rear end basement with all the relevant quest NPCs.

Institute and BoS require multiple loading screens and running around.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

DaveWoo posted:

Quick settlement question - is there a way to have settlers automatically arm and equip themselves, or do I have to hand weapons/armor to each one individually?

I've had 50/50 :bethesda: odds with them taking weapons out of boxes if they happen to pass the box on the way to a fight. They don't take armor, and they tend to take lots of ammo, so :shrug:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Pellisworth posted:

It's a console command so if you're not on PC you're outta luck

I am in fact. Does it just scrap the settlement you're standing in?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Yes, open the workshop, open the console, type scrapall and everything that is scrappable will be broken down into components and put in your workbench. This includes containers, wires, prehung lighting, etc. Good places to NOT do this are The Castle and Spectacle Island, as there are some elements there that cannot be reproduced.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I find that the companion writing in this game is definitely a step up from Fallout 3, but I am annoyed at how much of it still relies on poo poo that happened before the bombs fell, or how everything is way too connected. Hancock doesn't need to be McDonough's brother, for example. It doesn't really add anything. And I was frustrated with how Nick and MacCready's quests relied on stuff from the prewar. That alone wasn't a big issue for me, but the fact that Winter and the serum were still lying around that long made things feel way too convenient. It would have been great to see Nick go on this huge vengeance hunt, only to find that Winter had died years ago, and Nick was the only one keeping the old Valentine alive with his obsession. But no, Winter has to be alive in his bunker because Ghouls apparently don't have to eat anymore.

The MacCready one isn't as bad, but I'm still getting sick of diving into old world ruins for the magic cure.

I could've lived with Winter being alive if the quest sort of fizzled out once you realize that he's just one guy sitting alone in a lovely little bunker for 200 years. Even if he's still an rear end in a top hat, as far as you can tell he's just been holed up in there drinking beer and jerking off. He's basically been in a cell the entire time.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 22, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

McSpankWich posted:

Yes, open the workshop, open the console, type scrapall and everything that is scrappable will be broken down into components and put in your workbench. This includes containers, wires, prehung lighting, etc. Good places to NOT do this are The Castle and Spectacle Island, as there are some elements there that cannot be reproduced.

Also be aware that scrapall takes out things like Weapons and Armor workbenches and Power Armor stations, which you can't rebuild unless you have the second rank of the Local Leader perk.

Basically, only use it on new empty settlements that you aren't using as your main base, to clear the slate and get all the resources before you build what you want to build there.

Make sure you check the workbench inventory after doing a scrapall, because that's where it dumps any weapons / apparel / aid / misc items that were in containers that got scrapped.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So much stuff about Fallout games would make more sense if it took place like 40-60 years after the war instead of 200.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 22, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Hey idiots that scrap all before looking, if you toggle God mode on, you can build crafting benches and high level turrets. The only thing you can't build with tgm alone is shops.

Hth

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

I could've lived with Winter being alive if the quest sort of fizzled out once you realize that he's just one guy sitting alone in a lovely little bunker for 200 years. Even if he's still an rear end in a top hat, as far as you can tell he's just been holed up in there drinking beer and jerking off. He's basically been in a cell the entire time.

But that was the result/discovery of the quest?

Honestly I liked the Valentine quest ending. It basically covered the theme I think they were trying to emphasize in the main quest- that you can't go back to what you had before- in a much better way than the main plot. Winters points out how absurd the whole situation is and has some funny lines, and Valentine does a appropriately Bogart-y style character speech to unwind it all.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I liked Valentines quest ending because after getting his perk there was no reason to keep such a judgemental prick as a companion.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nasgate posted:

I liked Valentines quest ending because after getting his perk there was no reason to keep such a judgemental prick as a companion.

After getting any companion's perk it's right back to Dogmeat and the Lone Wanderer bonuses.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I'm level 25 and I just figured out I didn't need to go down the entire path to get a perk I wanted... Could have made some things easier, but oh well.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I'm about tapped out on this game and was wondering if I've overlooked some especially good content. Note that I'm not expecting good writing or characters because I know what game I'm playing, but quests or areas that are better than a place where you loot things and shoot the same enemies you've always been shooting would be nice. So far I've liked Vault 81, USS Constitution, Silver Shroud, Atom Catz, and the Secret of Cabot House. Dunwich Borers was a pretty good dungeon. Museum of Witchcraft, Spectacle Island, and the Castle have had some memorable battles as well. I still haven't made it to the Glowing Sea yet, but I will since it's the next part of the main quest I need to do. I haven't done any faction quests at all except the Minutemen up through the Castle because I haven't heard good things. Any especially good stuff sidequest stuff I haven't mentioned?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is ashmaker bugged? I thought it would be amazing like the explosive/bleeding weapons but it doesn't seem to be doing any extra damage or even setting things on fire, besides the visual effect.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
If you're on pc, add the lockpick/ hacking perks and just explore honestly. Side quests are usually not as fun as the exploration imo. The glowing sea is a great example of this. There's really not much loot, but I remember more cool things in the glowing sea than elsewhere.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Digirat posted:

Is ashmaker bugged? I thought it would be amazing like the explosive/bleeding weapons but it doesn't seem to be doing any extra damage or even setting things on fire, besides the visual effect.

+Fire doesn't stack like +bleed or explosive. It adds 10 damage to the first bullet only, then 10 more ~3 sec later, etc for a basic flat +3 dps.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
hahah goddamn I'm an idiot. I leveled up almost everything fully in my first row of perks before ever realizing it was an in depth perk chart that continued downward. Oh well. Now it's just easy to basically upgrade any tier I want.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Okay, so I've noticed that my companions sometimes gently caress off to go drink water or sit on a couch during thematically inappropriate moments, but has anyone seen their companion actually take stuff? I just watched MacCready take two boxes of 10mm ammo off a desk. Also, has anyone gone to the asylum yet? Is it worth going?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

cash crab posted:

Okay, so I've noticed that my companions sometimes gently caress off to go drink water or sit on a couch during thematically inappropriate moments, but has anyone seen their companion actually take stuff? I just watched MacCready take two boxes of 10mm ammo off a desk. Also, has anyone gone to the asylum yet? Is it worth going?

Yeah they'll pick up ammo and weapons.

You can't get into the asylum until you pick up the associated quest, which is one of the best ones. The Secret of Cabot House. Get it at Bunker Hill or with high CHA at the house in north Boston, near Fanueil Hall.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

eating only apples posted:

Yeah they'll pick up ammo and weapons.

You can't get into the asylum until you pick up the associated quest, which is one of the best ones. The Secret of Cabot House. Get it at Bunker Hill or with high CHA at the house in north Boston, near Fanueil Hall.

Be aware that the second phase of the quest chain, Emogene Takes a Lover, is often incompletable due to a bug. If Emogene appears to be behind a plot-locked door in Cabot House, open the console and type setstage 00022A00 750 . (Not on PC? Haha you're screwed, thanks Bethesda)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Gynovore posted:

Be aware that the second phase of the quest chain, Emogene Takes a Lover, is often incompletable due to a bug. If Emogene appears to be behind a plot-locked door in Cabot House, open the console and type setstage 00022A00 750 . (Not on PC? Haha you're screwed, thanks Bethesda)

Good tip, thank you. I remember a bugged quest in Skyrim really opened my eyes to the fantastic world of console commands.

But seriously, the weirdest part of this game so far is that my companions have lives and interests outside just following me around and telling me they are a bard or whatever. It also makes me feel super guilty about stacking them into settlements, especially when one of them goes, "Hey! Thought you forgot about me!" :smith: I did, buddy. I did.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
So my new build - starting out with intelligence 9, agility 6, everything else like 3ish - is working out great. It was a little hard at first because of a lack of good weapons and ammo, but once you build up Gun Nut and Science! you can mod the poo poo out of your weapon and the became becomes like, ridiculously easy. I still die occasionally because my endurance is poo poo (I had to get it up high enough so I could go swimming, but otherwise I've stopped), but clearly the hardest part of the game is the first segment, until you reach a certain threshold where you can get your weapons good enough to kill everything from afar, and then everything else falls into place.

I'm also doing a lot with electricity in my settlements. The settlers don't care about it (which is good, because man, there's a lot of switch doohickeys and no good manual for them) but it really looks nice to see my settlements lit up at night, with the TVs needlessly on and the radios playing in each house in Sanctuary Hills.

I'm playing a woman this time and the dialogue seems to be way more buggy, in terms of conversations dropping out because sprites just walk off, but that might just be me.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Nasgate posted:

If you're on pc, add the lockpick/ hacking perks and just explore honestly. Side quests are usually not as fun as the exploration imo. The glowing sea is a great example of this. There's really not much loot, but I remember more cool things in the glowing sea than elsewhere.

The sky at night in the Glowing Sea was atmospheric as hell. I haven't been so moved by a video game in a long time.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

cash crab posted:

The Asylum is totally worth it. There's a bobblehead in there, and a great Lovecraftian plot that references classic stories like The Nameless City and Beneath the Pyramids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I wouldn't call it it great.

• Locked thread