Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Toriori posted:

It's a shame because I found preston to be one of the more interesting characters, he just wants to make the world a better place! He trips all over his own words when you romance him and goes into detail about being suicidal.

If you complete the main quests without talking to Preston, do you find his dead body? I'd like to think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Toriori posted:

It's a shame because I found preston to be one of the more interesting characters, he just wants to make the world a better place! He trips all over his own words when you romance him and goes into detail about being suicidal.

Yeah, Preston's got issues.

After a while you go like, look, Preston, I get it, right? You want someone else to be responsible, someone above you who can catch the uncaring world before it crushes you. I'm fine with being that person, don't get me wrong, but I want you to look at a few things, okay?

I want you to look at all the grateful people showering you with gifts, all "thank you, noble Minuteman savior!" I want you to look at the people sidling up to me, all "took you long enough, nameless Minuteman stooge, now shoot these ghouls two zip codes over." I want you to look at who is telling who what to do here and think about who is actually the general.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

wipeout posted:

If you complete the main quests without talking to Preston, do you find his dead body? I'd like to think so.

Guaranteed if you skip Concord entirely and came back there after blowing up the institute or whatever they would still be holding off that one raider attack. WE'VE BEEN HOLDING OUT HERE FOR YEARS. I mean I haven't tried it, but I just can't imagine Bethesda would have worked any kind of alternate scripting to that event.

Also hilarious would be the fact that you would have like a decked out suit of X-01 and 300 power cores on you, and you could just jet back down and murder all the raiders and the deathclaw with like a pipe wrench or something because you out level them so much.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 20, 2016

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Glazius posted:

Yeah, Preston's got issues.

After a while you go like, look, Preston, I get it, right? You want someone else to be responsible, someone above you who can catch the uncaring world before it crushes you. I'm fine with being that person, don't get me wrong, but I want you to look at a few things, okay?

I want you to look at all the grateful people showering you with gifts, all "thank you, noble Minuteman savior!" I want you to look at the people sidling up to me, all "took you long enough, nameless Minuteman stooge, now shoot these ghouls two zip codes over." I want you to look at who is telling who what to do here and think about who is actually the general.

I actually gave Preston the General coat and hat(and some cool patrolman shades) in my current playthrough, and consider him the face of the Minuteman. I'm just the person that kills stuff real good.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

McSpankWich posted:

Guaranteed if you skip Concord entirely and came back there after blowing up the institute or whatever they would still be holding off that one raider attack. WE'VE BEEN HOLDING OUT HERE FOR YEARS. I mean I haven't tried it, but I just can't imagine Bethesda would have worked any kind of alternate scripting to that event.

Also hilarious would be the fact that you would have like a decked out suit of X-01 and 300 power cores on you, and you could just jet back down and murder all the raiders and the deathclaw with like a pipe wrench or something because you out level them so much.

And! and!..... And!

You could bring Hancock with you and your character would still go "what's a ghoul?" and then Preston tells you about the suit of power armour and your character would go "Power armour? oh wow that sounds amazing"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Minigun? Now we're talkin'! *holsters maxed-out legendary gauss rifle*

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I mean, you can also go back to Goodsprings after doing all the DLC and reaching the penultimate quest and then do the tutorials to learn about shooting things and cooking, then ask Trudy about the NCR and Legion.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

I mean, you can also go back to Goodsprings after doing all the DLC and reaching the penultimate quest and then do the tutorials to learn about shooting things and cooking, then ask Trudy about the NCR and Legion.

Yeah as a line of criticism it's pretty weird. Sequence-breaking is a thing that happens all the time in videogames.

As an idea to riff on, eh, I've seen worse.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

!Klams posted:

There's some mission near the end where you have to break into a town to get to some synths and either shut them down or kill them or rescue them or whatever. I guess it's meant to be this big three way war, and a climactic battle, but at this point I was friends with all factions, so I just walked through unimpeded.

Then I went back to the railroad, and some dude kept running up and telling me I should care about some drops our some bollocks, and the Android woman just kept running on the spot, and the leader woman was really demanding despite me having done more than all of them put together, so I thought gently caress it, put mines everywhere and shot a fat man.

Then I felt bad, because all I'd done was cut off a bunch of quests, but they're so ineffectual it's of no benefit to anyone to kill them. So I reloaded a quicksave, went to the institute and got a mission 'murder all the railroad'. Really at that point I felt like I was done with the game.

Your most definitely talking about the battle for bunker hill. Undoubtedly the worsed scripted battle in the entire series so far.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Showing up to the Prydwyn for the first time wearing mkVI X-01 armor "oh boy I get t60 armor goody goody"

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

MarshyMcFly posted:

Your most definitely talking about the battle for bunker hill. Undoubtedly the worsed scripted battle in the entire series so far.

I just walked through it because I was still friendly with every side. I did end up shooting a vendor by accident because the game give me a red bar for him but he didn't die because he couldn't be killed and there were no repercussions. He forgot about it.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
I'm sick of playing Fallout games as a high agility/luck gun shooting talky man. What are some other fun playstyles? Is taking explosives as your main weapon type viable?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

MarshyMcFly posted:

Wow really you kept him alive? Danse even told you that you have to kill him. I didn't really even think twice about killing him. Its what a soldier in the Brotherhood would do in that situation and if you decide to kill him he actually says he's proud of you and that it's the right thing to do.

In my playthrough I killed him by shooting him in the head, and his head exploded, and then while the chunks were flying in the air he told me how proud of me he was, despite not having a mouth or face or head

McSpankWich posted:

I did the Concord quest up to killing the Deathclaw etc., and the next objective was to go back inside where they're all waiting for you just inside the door. But I didn't go back in there until after the end of the game and yeah they were still standing there waiting.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Greaseman posted:

I'm sick of playing Fallout games as a high agility/luck gun shooting talky man. What are some other fun playstyles? Is taking explosives as your main weapon type viable?

That would leave you without a way to deal with dudes who get close, which will happen. Also grenades are weak because you can't use them in VATS.

Try being a Teleporting Ninja; Big Leagues, Blacksmith, and Blitz.

Or maybe Power Armor All The Time Man: Nuclear Physicist, Armorer, Cap Collector (to buy cores cheaper) and Fortune Finder (more money to buy cores)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Or maybe Power Armor All The Time Man: Nuclear Physicist, Armorer, Cap Collector (to buy cores cheaper) and Fortune Finder (more money to buy cores)

Don't forget the (ammunition efficient!) gatling laser.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Greaseman posted:

Idiot build and be Jimmy Wichard from King of the hill

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Preston's character is really disappointing. You meet this dude holed up in a building under siege, almost everyone he's even known has died recently including most of the people he pledged to protect. Everything he believed in has collapsed around him. He wants to die. He dresses up like a soldier from the 1800s. This dude should be completely off his loving rocker. We're talking No-Bark's long lost cousin here. Instead he's the guy from the neutral planet in Futurama.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So you wanted the Long guy to be your companion instead?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Pwnstar posted:

Preston's character is really disappointing. You meet this dude holed up in a building under siege, almost everyone he's even known has died recently including most of the people he pledged to protect. Everything he believed in has collapsed around him. He wants to die. He dresses up like a soldier from the 1800s. This dude should be completely off his loving rocker. We're talking No-Bark's long lost cousin here. Instead he's the guy from the neutral planet in Futurama.

that's what happens when you give one of your long-term 'random npc 431' voice-actors a lead role

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Greaseman posted:

You could drop Luck for Perception and go full ninja mode on peeps, I've been having a good time with this:

STR: 1 + You're Special
PER: 7
END: 1
CHR: 3
INT: 5
AGI: 8
LCK: 3

It starts out as the usual stealth sniper, but once you get the agility bobblehead, take Blitz, upgrade your melee damage and teleport on some motherfuckers. Both Pistol and Rifle specializations work really well, but I'd recommend rifles on the first try because you can wreck things at longer range and gain the benefit of the Sniper perk.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How decent are the luck perks' chances such as bloody mess, mysterious stranger, the backfire one at the end, etc? I thought it might be fun to make a character with tons of luck perks so enemies are constantly exploding into caps, having bloody mess chain to them, getting mysterious strangered, having their weapons backfire and kill them when they try to fight back against the most impossibly lucky woman alive. But it seems like if the chances aren't good enough it will just be useless, and most of those fun effects only come at the last rank of those perks, so it wouldn't be interesting until higher levels.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I just wrapped up an Institute run, and Idiot Savant triggered when I turned in the final quest for the ending slides.

I gained 5 levels. :stare:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

So what offers the biggest XP bonus?

Max intelligence + Savant or minimal intelligence and Savant?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

Iirc the stars align at Int 4 + savant.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Zephyrine posted:

Max intelligence + Savant if you don't mind dragging around +INT gear to put on every time you turn in a quest. Otherwise, min intelligence + Savant.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Though I'll need 5 points in intelligence for the scrapper perk. 6 if I want to mod my weapons with the best scopes and such.

Very helpful chart.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Zephyrine posted:

Though I'll need 5 points in intelligence for the scrapper perk. 6 if I want to mod my weapons with the best scopes and such.

Very helpful chart.

You can always reduce your INT with alcohol before any big XP gains. :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pakled posted:

You can always reduce your INT with alcohol before any big XP gains. :v:
Bethesda brought back active stat manipulation for min-maxing :buddy:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Bethesda brought back active stat manipulation for min-maxing :buddy:

Like switching to a charisma outfit before selling stuff. Yuck no.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

My character is bald, but as fair as every vendor in the Commonwealth knows he has a full, luscious pompadour.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Anyone have a settlement at Croup Manor? I just built up the mansion for myself there, but my settlers keep falling off the cliff into the water, and I cannot build down there to make steps for them to come back up. I built a fence there, but they somehow find themselves down there everytime I fast travel in.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Normally this minigun ammo would run you 3 caps a bullet, but in that dress and that mismatched cowboy hat, it's 2 caps for you, baby

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

Wear your +CHA stuff and always use power armor. Get out of the armor when you get to town.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

JawKnee posted:

that's what happens when you give one of your long-term 'random npc 431' voice-actors a lead role

Actually this looks like the first time he's worked for Bethesda according to IMDB. I would have much preferred had they actually done what you said and given the role to Michael Mack. (every Redguard until Skyrim)

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Greaseman posted:

I played sneak Gunslinger, sneak Rifles, and sneak Melee and got tired of sneaking so I made a Commando/Explosives dude. Just pick up Spray n' Pray early while investing points into Demolitions Expert and you'll be wrecking poo poo. If you're lucky enough to pick up/willing to farm an Explosive Minigun, you can easily convert to a Heavy Gunner build.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

So I just beat the game for the 3rd time and I have to say that you get the best rewards for completing the game with the brotherhood than any other faction.

With the brotherhood you get: a jet pack and a medic pump for your power armor.

With the railroad you get: a railway rifle and a mod for beating the game.

With the institute you get literally nothing. Besides the cool paint job that was useless on my full idiot savant character lol.

But with all factions you get a unique paint job for beating the game as well.

Is there really nothing besides the paint job you get from the institute for your hard work beating the game for them?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MarshyMcFly posted:

Is there really nothing besides the paint job you get from the institute for your hard work beating the game for them?

Father's lab coat! :v:

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
What kind of bizzaro-fallout are you playing??

Jet pack and medic pump can be made by crafting . Vertibirds can be re-commisioned by the Minutemen or Railroad so you don't actually have to pick BoS to be able to use them.

Institute gives you:
- The best power armor paint in the game (and the only unique paint that can be used on X-01; BoS paint can only be used on T60, Minutemen on T51, and Railroad is too poor to afford PA).
- Instant teleportation. Might seem stupid but if you're popping chems/buffs, it's the only way to maintain them while fast traveling (especially Well Rested/Lover's Embrace +xp% boosts). Plus it's annoying as gently caress to reach DC just as everything is closing.
- Free medical care. All those other cheap fucks charge you to cure rads and poo poo. What the hell?
- Maxson's and Brandis's unique outfits.
- An opportunity to mass-murder the Railroad hippies.
- The Classical radio station. Destroying the Institute removes this station.

Institute #1 faction

dangerous.hotdog fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 21, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Vertibirds can be re-commisioned by the Minutemen so you don't actually have to pick BoS to be able to use them.

How do you make this available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Destroy the Prydwen with the Minutemen.

• Locked thread