Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

do people still write music reviews like this

oh my, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

PupsOfWar posted:

i just think it's telling that somebody's idealized super-futuristic utopia would be what amounts to a space-borne recreation of Shropshire

high frontier is actually a really cool read and also incredibly depressing in how enthusiastic and optimistic it is about the now-present

since it was written before the awful fuckers that have since latched onto the concept did so it does not have the stench of awfulness about it that is so ubiquitous now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

its good but lol did a bunch of uptight EDMlords get salty about it

the hell why.

also i remember watching an xx performance from right when they were taking off and seeing Jaime in the back banging on the percussion pads and was like "pfff who's this obvious Friend of the Band"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i cant find it anymore but there was a review of the jamie xx album that seriously docks it like 35 points out of 100 for an elaborate fantasy the author invents where he gets priced out of house shows by soccer moms

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i cant find it anymore but there was a review of the jamie xx album that seriously docks it like 35 points out of 100 for an elaborate fantasy the author invents where he gets priced out of house shows by soccer moms

gratz to badger on his nme gig

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Good news! You're already getting the benefits you deserve.

>.<

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i still rmemeber in a time before grad school when I kept up with music blogs the author would just write some brief prose in no way related to the album or possibly how they felt about the album and hit submit

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

i still rmemeber in a time before grad school when I kept up with music blogs the author would just write some brief prose in no way related to the album or possibly how they felt about the album and hit submit

tiny mixtapes is still an ongoing concern

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

I bet he cried when Pavement broke up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Do y'all actually read music reviews or is it just like cined for the lulz kinda thing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

also i cant stop giggling at this page
http://new.chubb.com/en/us/

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
have any gop candidate issued a "policy" re:heroin epidemic? i mean a "policy" in so far as they have "policies" like three page tax codes or nuking isis or whatever, something at least more specific than "do something" or "garsh thats bad"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
tiny mixtapes writes reviews like this

like one line paragraphs with no punctuation

and while on one hand, its not like i can throw shade about this particular writing method

gently caress you dude, two thousand words of this is unreadable. it makes my eyes unfocus.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

zoux posted:

tiny mixtapes is still an ongoing concern

like it would drive me nuts

now I prefer to just get a list of new releases and for unknowns more or less wing it by album art

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

site posted:

Do y'all actually read music reviews or is it just like cined for the lulz kinda thing?

I read them just to see how someone else felt about an album, but only after I've listened myself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

site posted:

i sometimes scan reviews of singles for people ive never heard of

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jagchosis posted:

have any gop candidate issued a "policy" re:heroin epidemic? i mean a "policy" in so far as they have "policies" like three page tax codes or nuking isis or whatever, something at least more specific than "do something" or "garsh thats bad"

Heroin users = gop voters, so I suspect no.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
like, uh, glasser got into the pitchfork top hundred tracks in about 2011 or so

im not sure how to feel about that. 2011 was not a very strong year in music, maybe.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

site posted:

Heroin users = gop voters, so I suspect no.

thats why im curious

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

can you even get the eitc if you're single

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't think I've ever read an album review in my life.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Badger of Basra posted:

can you even get the eitc if you're single

Yes

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

badge I regret to inform you I am having another bad hair day

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did anyone else kinda feel bad for Judas Iscariot.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

badge I regret to inform you I am having another bad hair day

not me

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvVr2uks0C8

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

zoux posted:

yeah, blood money is my fav song from the play tho

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's kinda weird having Berke's posts highlighted in yellow.

He's special.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i never saw jesus christ superstar

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

can you please change the quote icon in YCS to this:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

UberJew posted:

high frontier is actually a really cool read and also incredibly depressing in how enthusiastic and optimistic it is about the now-present

since it was written before the awful fuckers that have since latched onto the concept did so it does not have the stench of awfulness about it that is so ubiquitous now

elysium was the best representation of megastructure space habitats because you know if we built a stanford torus white people would just cover the thing in McMansions

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

i never saw jesus christ superstar

you should watch it

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

nothing like getting out of work two hours early

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

PupsOfWar posted:

elysium was the best representation of megastructure space habitats because you know if we built a stanford torus white people would just cover the thing in McMansions

i never saw that actually

but yeah it's really weird reading books (by white people anyway) from the 70s like high frontier because it feels like everyone might as well be from mars or narnia or something for how little relation it has to reality, so it's this weird situation where i can sort of theoretically understand why the enthusiastic tone might exist but it feels like it was from the world's most naive person rather than a grown rear end adult

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Trying to find new music by reading music reviews or checking "best of" lists is something that is really hard. For me, at least. It's basically slow motion NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

UberJew posted:

i never saw that actually

It was kinda bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

you should watch it

feh musical theater

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
is the fact that they're all addicted to heroin the reason gop voters have become increasingly detached from reality? like just nodding off too much to see whats going on in the real world

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

feh musical theater

hamilton bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

The Warszawa posted: