Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Pre battle lands we had Scry lands though. those were HUGE in terms of mana fixing.

Origins didn't have battle lands either and didn't have scry lands. It also didn't have any real reason to use painlands over trilands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Abzan can splash colorless easily enough with 6-8 pains and 2-4 Holdout Settlement.

Don't underestimate Holdout Settlement.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Abzan can splash colorless easily enough with 6-8 pains and 2-4 Holdout Settlement.

Abzan wants to turn its creatures sideways for things other than mana though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Origins didn't have battle lands either and didn't have scry lands. It also didn't have any real reason to use painlands over trilands.

The scry lands didn't rotate until BFZ came out.

The Shortest Path posted:

I think Crumbling Vistage would be better in Abzan than Holdout...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I think Crumbling Vistage would be better in Abzan than Holdout...

Agreed, tbh

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Nahiri is Avacyn.
Avacyn is Nahiri.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ramos posted:

That's starting to sound really painful. I wonder if it'll be a good weekend for burn.

I think there's like 3 spells that go to the face now, two of which are Fireball variants.

I was being somewhat facetious when I suggested Siege Rhino into Reality Smasher. I imagine Matter Reshaper into Thought-Knot Seer into Reality Smasher is going to replace Siege Rhino without being any less annoying/mindless. LSV posted a little shell which, while probably not THE deck is probably close to what you'll see:

Creatures

3 x Reality Smasher
4 x Thought-Knot Seer
4 x Matter Reshaper
2 x Eldrazi Mimic
4 x Bearer of Silence
4 x Wasteland Strangler
2 x Sifter of Skulls
2 x Blight Herder

Spells

2 x Complete Disregard
4 x Transgress the Mind
4 x Warping Wail

Lands
7 x Swamp
4 x Sea Gate Wreckage
4 x Crumbling Vestige
4 x Ruins of Oran-Rief
4 x Caves of Koilos
2 x Llanowar Wastes

I'm not convinced the processor package is even vaguely good in standard where your guaranteed way to get stuff into exile is a 2 mana sorcery.

Incitatus posted:

Nahiri is Avacyn.
Avacyn is Nahiri.

AVACYN IS A MAN

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 21, 2016

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Hellsau posted:

I like how Jace has this beefed up badass body with like kevlar body armor, and still has his dumb nerd babyface.

Also interesting how the anime version of Jace manages to be less anime than most of his card art.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I think there's like 3 spells that go to the face now, two of which are Fireball variants.

Fine, whatever, Atarka Red is looking to have a potentially very good weekend.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ramos posted:

It looks more to me like Atarka Red looks completely horrible with Kozilek's Return and Flaying Tendrils entering the card pool.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The safest decks to play this weekend are the decks that were good last weekend.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

The safest decks to play this weekend are the decks that were good last weekend.

So my sealed deck?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

Nah, I'm switching from Jund to Junk cuz of the butts that are gonna play worm coils.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

Bloom?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Ramos posted:

it's the first weekend after a new set so that's probably a good bet

i thought about putting it together to have a vaguely reasonable deck this season b/c i have all the fetches and most of the cards from red heroic last time are still around but turns out atarkas commands and cinder glades alone plus a bit of chaff was 90 bucks and i'd play it in maybe two events over the next three months before rotation so nope

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i'm looking forward to my tron getting turbo stomped by an unending cavalcade of land destruction and infect at modern for at least this week

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So, looks like the Shadow over Innistrad is not Emrakul after all.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

I was being somewhat facetious when I suggested Siege Rhino into Reality Smasher. I imagine Matter Reshaper into Thought-Knot Seer into Reality Smasher is going to replace Siege Rhino without being any less annoying/mindless. LSV posted a little shell which, while probably not THE deck is probably close to what you'll see:

Creatures

3 x Reality Smasher
4 x Thought-Knot Seer
4 x Matter Reshaper
2 x Eldrazi Mimic
4 x Bearer of Silence
4 x Wasteland Strangler
2 x Sifter of Skulls
2 x Blight Herder

Spells

2 x Complete Disregard
4 x Transgress the Mind
4 x Warping Wail

Lands
7 x Swamp
4 x Sea Gate Wreckage
4 x Crumbling Vestige
4 x Ruins of Oran-Rief
4 x Caves of Koilos
2 x Llanowar Wastes

I'm not convinced the processor package is even vaguely good in standard where your guaranteed way to get stuff into exile is a 2 mana sorcery.

AVACYN IS A MAN

Some thoughts on this archetype as I'm testing it too.

I don't think you need Sifter or Blight Herder. Sifter I think it just bad and I would cut a Hearder for a 4th reality smasher, you know, the card that is the reason to play this deck.

I think we need Silkwrap in this deck badly as a 4 of and in order to be able to cast that i'm playing 3 Swamp/3 Plains and 3 Evolving Wilds and 3-4 Shambling Vents, cutting the Llanowar wastes and 2 Ruins or Orin Reef. White also gives you access to Gideon or Sorin which are both awesome in this deck.

I love the transgress but maybe as a 2x not 4x and I hate 4 warping wail. It's been a bit underwhelming. Also Murderous Cut > Disregard, all day everyday.

Lastly, I think Hangerback walker should be in here in some numbers. In an unknown meta it's one the best things you can be doing in the early game before you get your gas online and eldrazi mimic is a big fat meh to me

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Nah, I'm switching from Jund to Junk cuz of the butts that are gonna play worm coils.

Eh, its hard to say Junk is any better against tron than Jund. Its slightly harder to cast turn 3 fulminators and you don't have kolaghan's command to keep them coming. I don't think dealing with wormcoil easier is much of a sell to me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

legoman727 posted:

New Bolas is a cool as hell proposition and I've been looking forward to that for a while.

Guess that means Avacyn's getting sacrificed at the end of the turn though :(

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

Eh, its hard to say Junk is any better against tron than Jund. Its slightly harder to cast turn 3 fulminators and you don't have kolaghan's command to keep them coming. I don't think dealing with wormcoil easier is much of a sell to me.

Nah I'm just playing it cuz I got tired of Jund and because my friend will laugh when I am playing a deck that turns creatures sideways. I'm mostly playing it to troll the couple players who I know will switch to burn so I can play kor firewalker. :evilbuddy: Maybe one day control will come back to modern. :unsmith:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

New Bolas is a cool as hell proposition and I've been looking forward to that for a while.

Guess that means Avacyn's getting sacrificed at the end of the turn though :(

Huh, interesting.

Well, at least they won't have to shoehorn in a dragon to each set.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

legoman727 posted:

Completely fine with this since that means a new Nicol Bolas card.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I hope the plot twist is that it's actually the stupid ghost projection of bolas that Ajani made. Maybe the second set could be called Ghost Dragon in the Shell.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

legoman727 posted:

Source?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

I hope the plot twist is that it's actually the stupid ghost projection of bolas that Ajani made. Maybe the second set could be called Ghost Dragon in the Shell.

What do you have against Ajani's Bolas stand

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

legoman727 posted:

:eyepop: the bloodborne sequel is looking good.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Dragons aren't spooky at all this is just ridiculous

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

:eyepop: the bloodborne sequel is looking good.

The MTG storyline makes about as much sense as the Bloodbourne storyline. i.e. not at all.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

What do you have against Ajani's Bolas stand

Can it stop time?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Dragons aren't spooky at all this is just ridiculous

Dragons sell packs though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

The MTG storyline makes about as much sense as the Bloodbourne storyline. i.e. not at all.

Unlike the MTG storyline, the bloodborne leaves you with clues you can piece together yourself. You know, similar to what used to happen with the tidbits of info in the flavor text.

E: Oh right MTG always had those dumb tie-in novels that used to come with fat packs. :lol: Yeah I'll give the point to the bloodborne for this one

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Dragons sell packs though.

This is apparently just fanart that was on Reddit like 2 days ago which is good because scheming dragons aren't spooky at all

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

lol

Bloodborne is pretty simple.

Also, gently caress Bolas. Welcome back the most boring and overrated villain ever in Magic's history.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chill la Chill posted:

Nah I'm just playing it cuz I got tired of Jund and because my friend will laugh when I am playing a deck that turns creatures sideways. I'm mostly playing it to troll the couple players who I know will switch to burn so I can play kor firewalker. :evilbuddy: Maybe one day control will come back to modern. :unsmith:

Fire walker can die to KReturn and Nacatyl... Sanctimony on the other hand lasts unless they SB revelry.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

lol

Bloodborne is pretty simple.

Also, gently caress Bolas. Welcome back the most boring and overrated villain ever in Magic's history.

Bring back time spiral bolas who at least begrudgingly helped Teferi, not that he wanted to, stupid.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

UberJew posted:

it's the first weekend after a new set so that's probably a good bet

i thought about putting it together to have a vaguely reasonable deck this season b/c i have all the fetches and most of the cards from red heroic last time are still around but turns out atarkas commands and cinder glades alone plus a bit of chaff was 90 bucks and i'd play it in maybe two events over the next three months before rotation so nope

Huh? Atarka's Commands are 12 dollars a pop and Cinder Glades are 3. You run what 2 Cinder Glades in Atarka Red? Considering Atarka's Command is a Modern card as well thats not too crazy by MTGFINANCE! standards.

Where are you getting 90 from? I'm guessing It's the Abbots you don't have, and Abbot is a borderline Modern playable card in and of itself.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

If you wanting to watch something funny Paul is trying to figure out how to play infect, failing a little bit, and going full MJ and banning people who disagree with his plays. About as funny as MTG streams get.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

anglachel posted:

Huh? Atarka's Commands are 12 dollars a pop and Cinder Glades are 3. You run what 2 Cinder Glades in Atarka Red? Considering Atarka's Command is a Modern card as well thats not too crazy by MTGFINANCE! standards.

Where are you getting 90 from? I'm guessing It's the Abbots you don't have, and Abbot is a borderline Modern playable card in and of itself.

yeah it was abbots, and you're right i probably shouldn't lump them as chaff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Fire walker can die to KReturn and Nacatyl... Sanctimony on the other hand lasts unless they SB revelry.

you are not siding in kor firewalker against any decks that actually run kozilek's return

• Locked thread