Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So I was thinking about how to make double-T70 work and came up with this:

99 points

Pilots
------

“Red Ace” (36)
T-70 X-Wing (29), R2-D2 (4), Comm Relay (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (37)
T-70 X-Wing (31), R5-P9 (3), Push the Limit (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

Jake Farrell (26)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Wired (1)

Opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Has there been a ruling on what counts as "modifying" dice for Omega Leader purposes? I've seen some people claiming that it prevents evade tokens and C-3PO from working, which seems unintuitive to me. (but no more unintuitive than that autothrusters stuff)

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Has there been a ruling on what counts as "modifying" dice for Omega Leader purposes? I've seen some people claiming that it prevents evade tokens and C-3PO from working, which seems unintuitive to me. (but no more unintuitive than that autothrusters stuff)

It's clearly laid out in the rules reference:

quote:

MODIFYING DICE
Players can modify dice by spending focus, evade, and target lock tokens and by resolving card abilities.
Dice can be modified in the following ways:
• Add: To add a die result, place an unused die displaying the result next to the rolled dice. A die added in this way is treated as a normal die for all purposes and can be modified and canceled.
• Change: To change a die result, rotate the die so that its faceup side displays the new result.
• Reroll: To reroll a die result, pick up the die and roll it again.
• Dice can be modified by multiple effects, but a die cannot be rerolled more than once.

Evade tokens and C3PO both add results, so Omega Leader stops them.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Corbeau posted:

99 points

Pilots
------

“Red Ace” (36)
T-70 X-Wing (29), R2-D2 (4), Comm Relay (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (37)
T-70 X-Wing (31), R5-P9 (3), Push the Limit (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

Jake Farrell (26)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Wired (1)

Opinions?

I'd take VI on Jake over Wired. That is similar to what a guy ran here last night, went 3-0 with it too. The other 3-0s were Palp, Omega Leader, Soontir, and me with Howl/Scourge/Mauler/3xBlack Crack swarm.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Ojetor posted:

The only counterintuitive things about omega leader are that he doesn't stop palpatine, and hlc crits are not changed to hits against him. He prevents everything else, as far as I know.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

hoiyes posted:

Though I never expected the inquisitor to cancel Autothrusters at range 3, Frank's ruling is pretty dumb, despite being an uncommon edge case.

If his ability says to treat all attacks as if they are at range 1 (which it does), why would you not expect it to cancel Autothrusters?

Either way, I don't expect much of these rulings to affect me personally, except for the 3PO beating Omega Leader thing (I think I posted this as beating Juke earlier, which is because I haven't slept yet). Some edge cases will arise, of course, I guess, but I'm not super worried.

thespaceinvader posted:

Seriously, TAPs are going to be really good. They're only two points more than F/Os with a built in double action from the title.

Comparing them to A-Wings is just embarrassing to the poor a-wings now though. I'm just hoping the PS4 is a generic with an elite slot for 18, so you can do Vessery/TIED/Crack Shot/Tractor Beam and 3 Generic Elite TAPs with Juke and the title...

They have identical stats with strikingly similar movement dials and comparable costs (15 to 17 with the commonly accepted auto-includes). The title gives you Evades only when you can acquire a lock, which potentially hurts you on the first pass since you have to move before most relevant pieces. I'm sorry, that doesn't scream "really good" to me. Decent, sure. They're pretty alright.

Ojetor posted:

According to the e-mailed response I read, Omega Leader does not stop 3PO.

EDIT: I really need to sleep. I was right the first time. It's Juke that 3PO gets to beat, not Omega Leader.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 21, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Pretty much anything in the modify dice step, like Ojetor said.

Word from the FFG forums says this also stops Heavy Laser Cannons from changing crits to hits, so that's kind of hilarious. It's not in the official FAQ yet, though.

Giant space lasers? My one weakness! HOW DID THEY KNOW?!

At this point the only real unknown is how he interacts with Palpatine. Which ship do you need to have locked to stop him? Can you stop him?

Assuming that HLC ruling isn't bullshit, O'Leader's ability could be summed up as "what they roll is what they get" when attacking or defending against O'Leader. I give it 85/15 in favor of Palp can't modify the dice of a ship that O'Leader has locked if that ship is interacting with O'Leader.

Edit: We really need an official FAQ for him.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Ojetor posted:

Oh okay, I didn't know that the rules specified that adding a dice result counted as "modifying a dice", that makes sense then. (unless it really doesn't work on C-3PO, in which case it is back to not making sense)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

For my store championships I'm going to treat is as "Omega Leader makes the dice you roll land how they were, nothing gets added or changed" because that's clean and easy. If they FAQ it in the meantime, I'll go with that, but none of this "I got an E-mail from FFG and they CC'ed my uncle at Nintendo" stuff.

So, I'm going to review the FAQ thoroughly, but this is the first event I'm running and I'm a bit anxious about getting it all right. Any other corner cases or un-FAQ'ed interactions I can expect to be particularly thorny to rule on? It's going to be Feb 8th, so Inquisitor's TIE might be out by then. I guess I need to decide which side of the Inquisitor vs. Jax and Autothrusters thing I come down on.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Corbeau posted:

Opinions?

I will never not evangelize my list. I will not stop until the heat death of the universe.

quote:

Aces High

Poe Dameron (36)
T-70 X-Wing (31)
Adaptability (Elite: 0)
R5-P9 (Astromech: 3)
Autothrusters (Modification: 2)

"Red Ace" (38)
T-70 X-Wing (29)
R2-D2 (Astromech: 4)
Comm Relay (Tech: 3)
Autothrusters (Modification: 2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (26)
Y-Wing (18)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (Title: 0)
R3-A2 (Astromech: 2)
Twin Laser Turret (Turret: 6)

Total: 100

I happen to like Jake, but the Y-Wing gives you much more table control and forces them to either ignore the stressbot to contend with Poe, or ignore Poe to kill the stressbot, and either scenario can be played to your advantage. Poe and Red Ace are super hard to kill. It is fun and good.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Brunas posted:

The only counterintuitive things about omega leader are that he doesn't stop palpatine, and hlc crits are not changed to hits against him. He prevents everything else, as far as I know.

Well both of those are consistent I think, not counterintuitive. Omega Leader stops all modification, and changing crits to hits via HLC is still a modification, even if it is beneficial to the other player. Palpatine isn't disabled by Omega Leader's ability because it specifies "Enemy ships that you have locked" so if Palpatine is not on the ship, he's not affected by the ability.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Reading Autothrusters again the ruling matches the card RAW but it's not intuitive. The condition of range never states in arc. Kinda lovely but it shouldn't happen very often.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Ojetor posted:

Well both of those are consistent I think, not counterintuitive. Omega Leader stops all modification, and changing crits to hits via HLC is still a modification, even if it is beneficial to the other player. Palpatine isn't disabled by Omega Leader's ability because it specifies "Enemy ships that you have locked" so if Palpatine is not on the ship, he's not affected by the ability.

Yep, I only put them as counter intuitive as the ruling is that the ruling could have gone either way. Palpatine is more straightforward, but the HLC ruling means there's a new attacker modifies dice step for just HLC that happens before the defender modifies, whereas before defender modified first.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Brunas posted:

Yep, I only put them as counter intuitive as the ruling is that the ruling could have gone either way. Palpatine is more straightforward, but the HLC ruling means there's a new attacker modifies dice step for just HLC that happens before the defender modifies, whereas before defender modified first.

That step still doesn't exist, because the HLC's text is "immediately after rolling dice". Omega Leader stops all dice modification, even that which happens out of normal order.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I'm thinking about getting back into the game. When I began and the game was new, I bought two core sets, an X-Wing expansion, Y-Wing expansion, TIE Fighter expansion, and TIE Defender expansion. Should I sell off that second core set, or is it still worth hanging onto?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

demota posted:

I'm thinking about getting back into the game. When I began and the game was new, I bought two core sets, an X-Wing expansion, Y-Wing expansion, TIE Fighter expansion, and TIE Defender expansion. Should I sell off that second core set, or is it still worth hanging onto?

The extra dice and movement templates are nice to have; but you don't really /need/ the extra ships...especially if you swap out the old core with a new core (to get you the updated damage deck and a T-70 and a TIE/fo)

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

jivjov posted:

The extra dice and movement templates are nice to have; but you don't really /need/ the extra ships...especially if you swap out the old core with a new core (to get you the updated damage deck and a T-70 and a TIE/fo)

Got it. I think I'll do exactly that!

demota fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 22, 2016

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Strobe posted:

That step still doesn't exist, because the HLC's text is "immediately after rolling dice". Omega Leader stops all dice modification, even that which happens out of normal order.

Whoa yeah I don't know what I'm talking about. Don't post and nap, apparently. The only interesting bit on HLC is that Omega Leader trumps dice mods even when it isn't a choice on the defender.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

This is what I mean, this is a guy legitimately trying to equate our dumb space magic wizard rogues with space Nazis by being like "one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist!" Protip: you don't have to take up the defense of space Nazism, it's totally okay

Holy poo poo I'm glad no one at my FLGS gets this legitimately butthurt over jokes about this super serious game of space magic.

e: it was like the lowest effort troll post too and no less than three people bit on it :laffo:

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 22, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Space man wake up!

The mon calimari is using the wookiee as muscle against you!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ranbo das posted:

Holy poo poo I'm glad no one at my FLGS gets this legitimately butthurt over jokes about this super serious game of space magic.

e: it was like the lowest effort troll post too and no less than three people bit on it :laffo:

"Joke's on you I was only pretending to be an unfunny idiot!!" :master:

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

"Joke's on you I was only pretending to be an unfunny idiot!!" :master:
Oh thank god. I'm glad we've cleared that up, because I was briefly worried someone was actually comparing made up space people with the perpetuation of the clean Wehrmacht myth. You can never tell on the internet these days.

On a different note, what are some good Imperial counters to swarms? I'm tinkering with an Escalation list and starting with Aces, then locking all of the enemy ships into a church and burning it down as we go higher in points. Seems like a solid counter, but I've also considered something with Assault Missiles or even Ruthlessness.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Von Humboldt posted:

Oh thank god. I'm glad we've cleared that up, because I was briefly worried someone was actually comparing made up space people with the perpetuation of the clean Wehrmacht myth. You can never tell on the internet these days.

On a different note, what are some good Imperial counters to swarms? I'm tinkering with an Escalation list and starting with Aces, then locking all of the enemy ships into a church and burning it down as we go higher in points. Seems like a solid counter, but I've also considered something with Assault Missiles or even Ruthlessness.

Perhaps some sort of camp where you could concentrate them all into range of the assault missile?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ghetto wormhole posted:

Perhaps some sort of camp where you could concentrate them all into range of the assault missile?

:vince:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Whatever solution you come up with, it should not be an initial, or intermediate one.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Von Humboldt posted:

I think the default go to swarm killer for imps is whisper. Might be rough in escalation where everyone will have 37-38 poe and a b-wing though.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Von Humboldt posted:

You're right. It's a good thing there haven't been any nationally published articles about why the Empire is justified or right, and then parody articles that are indistinguishable from the genuine sentiment, and then insane commentary on YouTube videos and web forums about how people have affinities for "order" and "discipline" w/r/t to the Empire, like, ~resonating~ with them. It's also a good thing that miniatures games and RPGs have no history of attracting maladjusted people who will internalize a fictional ethos and use it as the foundation of an actual worldview. Idolization of space Nazis is in no way creepy or weird!

ghetto wormhole posted:

:captainpop:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Good god

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Goddamnit guys, and you were doing so good.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Goddamnit guys, and you were doing so good.
I saw a chance to set up a joke. I couldn't resist.

Much like Alderaan.

:tips Imperial officer's cap:

m'jedi

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Von Humboldt posted:

Soontir can clear entire swarms on his own. So can Whisper. Or Vader.

Just never, ever joust the swarm. Whittle them down from the flanks and rear. Dodge and retreat. It's better to not get shot than it is to exchange fire.

Vader is an especially good choice because you can throw an Assault Missile on him.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Soontir can clear entire swarms on his own. So can Whisper. Or Vader.

Just never, ever joust the swarm. Whittle them down from the flanks and rear. Dodge and retreat. It's better to not get shot than it is to exchange fire.

Vader is an especially good choice because you can throw an Assault Missile on him.
I'm thinking about opening with Whisper and Omega Ace, then fleshing out the upgrades on them for the next tier along with a cheaper ship. At 120, I could then slip in Vader with the Assaults, assuming I underbid a little at 90. I feel pretty confident in my flying, but that's three Aces (maybe four, if I go with Zeta as my ship at 90 points) versus what's likely to an absolute bucket of Z-95s or TIEs, and I've not really flown versus swarms before. I know they'll be in attendance, though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

You're right. It's a good thing there haven't been any nationally published articles about why the Empire is justified or right, and then parody articles that are indistinguishable from the genuine sentiment, and then insane commentary on YouTube videos and web forums about how people have affinities for "order" and "discipline" w/r/t to the Empire, like, ~resonating~ with them. It's also a good thing that miniatures games and RPGs have no history of attracting maladjusted people who will internalize a fictional ethos and use it as the foundation of an actual worldview. Idolization of space Nazis is in no way creepy or weird!

I'm just gay for balls and panels, panels and balls.

I will use this excuse until they release the assault gunboat.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Am I the only one that thinks the Gunboat/Missile Boat/etc look real dumb and counter to the aesthetic?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the Gunboat/Missile Boat/etc look real dumb and counter to the aesthetic?

Nope, they don't really work as Imperial ships. Their profile reads Rebel for some reason.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

I'm just gay for balls

Paging Moola to the X-Wing thread, Moola to the X-Wing thread.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

No. The Empire's whole deal is a uniform set of modular components that you can look at right away and say "that's an imperial ship."

The Tie Punisher, whatever else you think of it, visually reads better as an Imp Ship in that same role IMO.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So I'm sorry if this has been asked before but when is wave 8 supposed to actually be in stores? I know it says "on the boat" but it's been saying that for a while now, I just want to see and buy the two scum ships already.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hencoe posted:

So I'm sorry if this has been asked before but when is wave 8 supposed to actually be in stores? I know it says "on the boat" but it's been saying that for a while now, I just want to see and buy the two scum ships already.

Probably 2-3 more weeks at the earliest. It has to go from "on the boat" to "shipping to distributors", and it usually hits stores within about a weekk or 10 days from that point.

There are various signs and rumors that it'll be early February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I took Strobe's XXX list again tonight and completely hosed it up. I went for the two A-wings instead of Dash, it was a dumb dumb dumb mistake on my part. I'm terrible at the opening.

EDIT: I lost to the same guy I beat last week. The guy who was disappointed that Episode 7 didn't have the Yuuzhan Vong.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 22, 2016

• Locked thread