Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Do you have a friend or relative in that area whose address you can use? In the past I've done that with success or on a visit down got a PO box that you can use as the address. You just put the post offices address and then say box whatever or apartment whatever and list your box number. Then when you start getting calls and they want you to come in for an interview you tell them that you are finishing up a work contract and will be done by X date. So if they do happen to hire you its no big deal because you already live down there permanently anyway! Basically make it clear that you being out of town wont affect your ability to be there on time day 1 when they want you to start.

No, I don't know anyone in the area. I'll consider getting a PO box or commercial mailbox. Is it this hard for everyone to move states, or do most IT people doing it have enough time/skills under their belt to be getting calls from recruiters?

Trying to get in touch with HR personally and trying to convince them is a bad move because they don't care, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No, I don't know anyone in the area. I'll consider getting a PO box or commercial mailbox. Is it this hard for everyone to move states, or do most IT people doing it have enough time/skills under their belt to be getting calls from recruiters?

Trying to get in touch with HR personally and trying to convince them is a bad move because they don't care, right?

I've only had deep conversations about relocation once an offer is actually on the table. To give a personal anecdote, I focus on performing well on the face to face interview; impress the hiring manager/potential colleagues to the point where they'd tell HR "hey, hire this person and do whatever it takes." Then that's when you can say "hey I need help with relocation expenses"

Or well, just take the job and cover the cost of moving on your own.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm still at the point of trying to get any attention at all. Maybe I'm being impatient, but I've applied to 30 jobs over the past week and a half. When I applied to a half dozen over a weekend in my town, I got a call on Monday and two others by Wednesday. I haven't heard a single thing so far.

To be fair, I've only applied for one since I took the advice of taking my address off my resume.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

We're having trouble finding qualified candidates here in Dayton, OH. We've got 4 or 5 spots open for server technicians, and the resumes that keep coming in are loads of hilarity. Previous contender was from someone who had "extensive experience with both small and large servers" and "paid close attention to detail" (but had random mis-spellings and letters capitalized in weird spots). This week's contenders are both line cooks from Texas Roadhouse and Logan's Steakhouse. Team lead said one of them was going to school for his Associate's degree and should be finished sometime later this year. I think they actually have a shot at a position if they can interview well.

The team lead has since revised his standards down to "has a pulse", "is not a flaming idiot", and "can understand and follow instructions". The reason for the shortage is that our Exchange team keeps snagging server techs and promoting them to Jr Exchange Admins and bumping their pay by like $10-15k. I can't really blame the guys, it's a lot of money and I did it myself (but I got a $29k raise out of it), but the uncertainty of whether there's going to be a Messaging team in 6-7 months has got to be a consideration.

Anyone want to do DoD contracting? We'll throw in a Secret security clearance and give you one of the easiest jobs in the world - 7 hours of monotony staring at whatever news website you care to visit (or reading cert study guides, or whatever the hell you want, but no Youtube), and 1 hour of actually walking around recording temperature, humidity, and voltage readings in the server farm - maybe a half hour if you walk fast. If you're really a go-getter, we'll even throw in running a script to check the status of the AV on our servers. If you're unlucky, you'll actually have to reinstall the agent on a few machines (which involves an extensive 5-minute process, 4 minutes of which are waiting). If you want to break into IT, or switch from the private sector and need a security clearance, we can help!

Pay is around $32-35k, plus full benefits. No 401k matching, however.

What do you have for me that pays double that?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

We're having trouble finding qualified candidates here in Dayton, OH. We've got 4 or 5 spots open for server technicians, and the resumes that keep coming in are loads of hilarity. Previous contender was from someone who had "extensive experience with both small and large servers" and "paid close attention to detail" (but had random mis-spellings and letters capitalized in weird spots). This week's contenders are both line cooks from Texas Roadhouse and Logan's Steakhouse. Team lead said one of them was going to school for his Associate's degree and should be finished sometime later this year. I think they actually have a shot at a position if they can interview well.

The team lead has since revised his standards down to "has a pulse", "is not a flaming idiot", and "can understand and follow instructions". The reason for the shortage is that our Exchange team keeps snagging server techs and promoting them to Jr Exchange Admins and bumping their pay by like $10-15k. I can't really blame the guys, it's a lot of money and I did it myself (but I got a $29k raise out of it), but the uncertainty of whether there's going to be a Messaging team in 6-7 months has got to be a consideration.

Anyone want to do DoD contracting? We'll throw in a Secret security clearance and give you one of the easiest jobs in the world - 7 hours of monotony staring at whatever news website you care to visit (or reading cert study guides, or whatever the hell you want, but no Youtube), and 1 hour of actually walking around recording temperature, humidity, and voltage readings in the server farm - maybe a half hour if you walk fast. If you're really a go-getter, we'll even throw in running a script to check the status of the AV on our servers. If you're unlucky, you'll actually have to reinstall the agent on a few machines (which involves an extensive 5-minute process, 4 minutes of which are waiting). If you want to break into IT, or switch from the private sector and need a security clearance, we can help!

I am sitting here wondering how this can be someone's entire job and how this couldn't be an assigned duty to someone that does something useful for the other 7 hours of a day.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

I am sitting here wondering how this can be someone's entire job and how this couldn't be an assigned duty to someone that does something useful for the other 7 hours of a day.

I'm wondering why they need 5 of them when they can apparently just have 1 person do all 5 jobs. Can I make $160-175K working 5 hours a day instead? I promise I walk fast.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 21, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Everything from "senior architect" to network engineer

Vancouver is going to be different from the american pacific northwest region for sure, I can't comment on Seattle/Portland/etc.

Weird, but if it looked like a good candidate I'd still at the very least call them over the phone and inquire as to why they're applying for a junior role. I simply got "Senior System Administrator" at my last position simply because it was required from one of our business partners.

How far is Vancouver from Seattle? Probably farther than I thought...

Eh,

I've been skimming through but if there's one thing I've noticed it's that wages don't increase that much if you're coming from an area with a lower cost of living. it's not 1:1.

NippleFloss posted:

Great beer scene, legal weed, good public transit, tons of poo poo to do outdoors, and the Portlandia hipster culture is vastly overstated. That said, the traffic sucks and the housing costs are getting dumb, don't move here.

Agreed, even with Portland being "popular" now it was still a great place to live prior. Although, Weed is pretty much legal everywhere and you've got to go out of your way to get caught.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

I'm wondering why none of that can be automated.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

In other news,

Today I learned the implementation of a "Resource Domain" where you have a two-way transitive trust between two independent forests with computers in one and users in another.

Why in the hell would anyone do this and before you answer "security" how does this make it more secure?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

flosofl posted:

I'm wondering why none of that can be automated.

Of course all of it can be automated but manually recording temperatures and stuff does have some merits.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

KillHour posted:

Blame HR. Also the job market for IT is poo poo right now.

Booming here in Portland OR, but don't move here. :getout:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Tab8715 posted:

How far is Vancouver from Seattle? Probably farther than I thought...

About a 3 hour drive but the job markets are nothing alike, due to whole different country/economy thing.

Seattle is a nice place to visit when the dollar gets better :smith:

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

We're having trouble finding qualified candidates here in Dayton, OH.

I was looking for essentially this exact job when I was finishing up at Wright state. Hell, I probably even applied for it then but who knows where resumes wind up on that piece of poo poo website they post base jobs to. Tech market in cincy is where it's at if you get bored with reading news sites, though. Moving down here (or at least out of Dayton) has probably been the single best career move I've ever made.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

In other news,

Today I learned the implementation of a "Resource Domain" where you have a two-way transitive trust between two independent forests with computers in one and users in another.

Why in the hell would anyone do this and before you answer "security" how does this make it more secure?

Short answer: Cloud.

Long answer: Say you have an enterprise with multiple forests, and you want to deploy a private cloud for centralizing a service. Let's use Exchange as an example. You roll a forest just for Exchange, with a placeholder account for each user in the enterprise. Then you tie permissions between the real user accounts and the placeholder accounts. Boom, private cloud. It's more secure because your AD admin in Manila or whatever can't gently caress up your Exchange deployment. Can I have a good job now?

Edit: It also makes it easier to roll out new software. Say you have the private Exchange cloud set up and you want to add Lync. You just implement it in the cloud and add the relevant permissions to the one forest, and boom - all your users in all forests automagically have Lync without having to involve said dipshit in Manila.

Double Edit: It has the added bonus of being able to use the phrase "We're invoking the transitive property of the cloud." Which, if you have the cloud-to-butt extension installed, is particularly hilarious.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 21, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Anyone want to do DoD contracting?

Mmhmm, yep, go on, looks good, I like it, ohhh cert study that's nice, man this is a sweet g-

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Oh no wonder you can't fill seats. I took slightly less than this as a N+ holder working on my associates degree, no tech job experience.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Mmhmm, yep, go on, looks good, I like it, ohhh cert study that's nice, man this is a sweet g-

Oh no wonder you can't fill seats. I took slightly less than this as a N+ holder working on my associates degree, no tech job experience.

I don't know what the cost of living is like in Dayton, but to be fair he did say it was entry level as in "if you want to break into IT".

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Would unironically take this if you'd hire a retail shmuck with an A+ cert. It seems like it's impossible breaking into IT where I live.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Any of you jerks going to SCALE?

https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/14x

We're the lanyard sponsor this year.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm still at the point of trying to get any attention at all. Maybe I'm being impatient, but I've applied to 30 jobs over the past week and a half. When I applied to a half dozen over a weekend in my town, I got a call on Monday and two others by Wednesday. I haven't heard a single thing so far.

To be fair, I've only applied for one since I took the advice of taking my address off my resume.

I think you may just be a little too low on the experience scale for people to want to relocate you. Did you not hear back from my contact? He's in the middle of a move so he may be a bit side tracked, but they're always hiring and if I mentioned your name you should at least get a phone interview.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Garrand posted:

Would unironically take this if you'd hire a retail shmuck with an A+ cert. It seems like it's impossible breaking into IT where I live.

The position states that the only requirement is that you have an Associate's degree. An A+ or Network+ is desired. That's it. You can probably get away with saying you're working on getting your Associate's degree and get past the HR drones.

Yes, I understand I said 1-3 years experience, but apparently that was if you didn't have a degree. My bad. This is a pure entry level position. You'll have six months to earn your Sec+ certification, being able to study at work, and it's not so draconian a place that you must have your face plastered to a computer screen or text book all the time.

Here's some anecdotes - I started out in this role, but back then it was actual Jr Sys Admin stuff, and the pay was around $45-50k. Then re-org came along and pay was cut to $32-35k. I was asked to move to Messaging, and went from $32k all the way up to $61k (it was weekend shift). A year later I earned my VCP and moved back to the Server team as a Virtualization SME and got a small but decent pay bump. So in my time here I've been a Jr System Admin, Exchange Administrator, Good Mobile and Blackberry Administrator, and finally Virtualization Administrator. Not bad in just 3 years.

One of our server techs went from his starting position to CSA, then recently got hired as an Information Assurance Officer at AFMCHQ making a lot more money. Another server tech who's been with us for 3-4 months is now taking his position (with a bump in pay). Two other server techs who'd been with us for even less time are now Exchange Admins (with a bump in pay).

If you are looking for an opportunity to network and break into IT then this position is probably the best opportunity available. Hell, a friend of mine is trying to get on here, and I'm doing my damnedest to make it happen because it's an opportunity he's been dying to get. PM me if you want the link to the job. You'll need to apply online, and the HR folks have never heard the word "quick", so don't expect an instant response.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've made a few cross country moves and can tell you that the difference in responses to job applications is night and day better when you put a local address. I've even applied to places twice just to test it out and gotten responses back from places that I had applied to earlier with my out of state address and gotten nothing. Find some sort of local address that you can use. %99 of the time nothing useful will ever get mailed there. Most of the time any paperwork you get sent will be after you start anyway and by that time you can just update your address with HR.

As a few others have mentioned I wouldn't even count or expect on a relocation reimbursement. Typically that is only for higher level roles or positions that companies have a specific person in mind for.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 21, 2016

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it this hard for everyone to move states, or do most IT people doing it have enough time/skills under their belt to be getting calls from recruiters?

When I moved to CO, I had no job prospects and no luck applying remotely from Boston. At that time I had about 2 years of helpdesk and junior admin experience. It definitely sucked. We had to get my mom to co-sign our lease because I had no income and my wife was attending grad school, which "paid her" like a couple hundred bucks a week. Thankfully we had enough saved up to pay rent etc for a couple months until I found work (it also helped that rent was like 50% of what we paid in Boston lol).

Don't have much to add to what's been said besides yes, it is hard and it sucks. Hopefully not leading with "yes hello I live 2000 miles away and..." and securing a local PO Box helps.

My current job paid all relocation expenses, so it does get better as you get up to the senior ranks.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Just checking into this thread, I posted a while ago about question regarding making the best use of my time while in school for a BSIT degree. I was recently onboarded at a different university in the data center for a NOC position. It's low, and the hours aren't great but I got my foot in the door. Thanks for the advice everyone.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We are deploying a password security program that has nifty things like banned words and non sequential passwords. When is microsoft going to update their password complexity capabilities because it would be cool if people stopped using their usernames or company.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

SaltLick posted:

We are deploying a password security program that has nifty things like banned words and non sequential passwords. When is microsoft going to update their password complexity capabilities because it would be cool if people stopped using their usernames or company.

I always figured this would be something they would have included in server 2012 and onwards.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
One of my coworkers quit, and we just posted 2 new positions for SysEng and Senior SysEng.

I'm coming up on a year at this place and am just about to be out of my 'probationary period.'
Should I be offended that none of my superiors have encouraged me to apply (or probably considered me) for the SysEng position?
Should I apply anyway?

A couple of my coworkers are doing backflips about the fact that nobody has said anything to me about being promoted to that position. I honestly never considered it.
I am definitely qualified (even though the job posting is not totally accurate).
It's 100% certain that I'm going to be saddled with the responsibilities of the guy who just quit, on top of my own. I've already been passed the torch.

The position is ~10k more than I'm making, but one of my coworkers says I'll probably get screwed on salary. So, whatever.
The biggest reason I'm hesitant is that I currently enjoy a certain level of autonomy, and responsibility without interference / micromanaging. I'm efficient and very effective working this way.
The last guy is 100% quitting because of our boss. I'm afraid that even bringing it up will set me in his sights and I can kiss that 'flying under the radar' thing goodbye.

tl;dr new position opens up. I'm happy where I'm at for now. Coworkers are telling me to confront management about why I wasn't approached for the job already. What do I do?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How's your relationship with the boss? I say go for it and express interest.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

One of my coworkers quit, and we just posted 2 new positions for SysEng and Senior SysEng.

I'm coming up on a year at this place and am just about to be out of my 'probationary period.'
Should I be offended that none of my superiors have encouraged me to apply (or probably considered me) for the SysEng position?
Should I apply anyway?

A couple of my coworkers are doing backflips about the fact that nobody has said anything to me about being promoted to that position. I honestly never considered it.
I am definitely qualified (even though the job posting is not totally accurate).
It's 100% certain that I'm going to be saddled with the responsibilities of the guy who just quit, on top of my own. I've already been passed the torch.

The position is ~10k more than I'm making, but one of my coworkers says I'll probably get screwed on salary. So, whatever.
The biggest reason I'm hesitant is that I currently enjoy a certain level of autonomy, and responsibility without interference / micromanaging. I'm efficient and very effective working this way.
The last guy is 100% quitting because of our boss. I'm afraid that even bringing it up will set me in his sights and I can kiss that 'flying under the radar' thing goodbye.

tl;dr new position opens up. I'm happy where I'm at for now. Coworkers are telling me to confront management about why I wasn't approached for the job already. What do I do?

Always keep open lines of communication about things like this. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I would,

1. Find out why the other two guys left...
2. How's your relationship with your boss? If it's good and he hasn't said anything I'd start looking for greener pastures...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

2 thoughts from me:

1: If you're happy you're happy, money isn't everything to me. I could make more than I do, but I'm very comfortable where I'm at, with my role, and get to spend plenty of time with my young children.

2: Why would management approach you for the job? If you're interested in it, and you want it it's your job to show interest in it. I'm much more interested in someone that wants the job than someone that passively thinks they should get it by default.

"Hey boss, I understand there's a few openings on the SysEng team, I'm interested in moving to a more senior role" and go from there.

My last promotion I got was just because I said "Hey boss, I'd like to know what I can do to earn a promotion to a Sr. title". He told me I was already doing the Sr. work and would work with HR to get the promotion. If I wouldn't have said anything, I wouldn't have got the promotion. All I had to do was show interest and ask.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

skipdogg posted:

2 thoughts from me:

1: If you're happy you're happy, money isn't everything to me. I could make more than I do, but I'm very comfortable where I'm at, with my role, and get to spend plenty of time with my young children.

2: Why would management approach you for the job? If you're interested in it, and you want it it's your job to show interest in it. I'm much more interested in someone that wants the job than someone that passively thinks they should get it by default.

"Hey boss, I understand there's a few openings on the SysEng team, I'm interested in moving to a more senior role" and go from there.

My last promotion I got was just because I said "Hey boss, I'd like to know what I can do to earn a promotion to a Sr. title". He told me I was already doing the Sr. work and would work with HR to get the promotion. If I wouldn't have said anything, I wouldn't have got the promotion. All I had to do was show interest and ask.

Exactly this. You have to take command of your career or you will be stagnant.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
goonfriends, what are you guys using to document your network hardware assets, service contracts, IPAM and cable plant? We've been using netdot for a year or so, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Recommendations?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

skipdogg posted:

2 thoughts from me:

These two points are excellent advice.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

DigitalMocking posted:

goonfriends, what are you guys using to document your network hardware assets, service contracts, IPAM and cable plant? We've been using netdot for a year or so, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Recommendations?

I feel like this has been coming up a lot lately. Check out Confluence and see if it would work for you. I'm just getting started with it for our internal documentation and am loving it so far. It does "suffer" from it having so many options and features that I let trying to be perfect get in the way of good with my spaces and pages.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

I think you may just be a little too low on the experience scale for people to want to relocate you. Did you not hear back from my contact? He's in the middle of a move so he may be a bit side tracked, but they're always hiring and if I mentioned your name you should at least get a phone interview.

Do you have my name? I mentioned your name, maybe he just has been putting it off. I've was saying in the first line of my cover letter that I would relocate at my own expense.

I'm thinking I'm going to rent out one of those local mailboxes. I made new accounts on Indeed and Dice, so I can reapply to all the jobs I already applied to. It's pretty awesome of Google to let you add a period to any point in your address and still have it come to the same box.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
When I was moving from NY to MA, I didn't mention I lived out of state anywhere in my cover letter or resume. Wen I got past the phone screening and they wanted to schedule an interview, then I would discuss when I would be moving and possible skype interviews and whatnot. Worked very very well.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Kashuno posted:

When I was moving from NY to MA, I didn't mention I lived out of state anywhere in my cover letter or resume. Wen I got past the phone screening and they wanted to schedule an interview, then I would discuss when I would be moving and possible skype interviews and whatnot. Worked very very well.

And if you get further into the interview repeat over and over that you already "live" in what area you are applying to, you've already moved the house along with the spouse and are just finishing up work at the old place/helping them transition. When they ask how soon you can start the answer is always 2 weeks.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, how is the Pacific Northwest for IT positions at the moment?

(Not Development)

Seattle's IT market is booming at the moment and it seems like everyone is hiring.

However with that comes the exact same surge of douche brogrammers, the destruction of cool watering holes for lovely appodiments, a housing crunch, jacked up rental costs, and the end of civilization as we know it.

Pretty much exactly what happened to the SF Bay Area in the late 90's.

Some are claiming the Seattle is in a housing and tech bubble, but what 'ev.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sickening posted:

Always keep open lines of communication about things like this. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Tab8715 posted:

I would,

1. Find out why the other two guys left...
2. How's your relationship with your boss? If it's good and he hasn't said anything I'd start looking for greener pastures...
Fine. I have no problem with him. But I'm pretty happy where I am. I mean, I just got here.

skipdogg posted:

2 thoughts from me:

CLAM DOWN posted:

These two points are excellent advice.
:agreed:

SaltLick posted:

Exactly this. You have to take command of your career or you will be stagnant.

I think more than anything, my coworkers have me paranoid that it's a bad thing that he hasn't approached me about being promoted to SysEng, or encouraging me to apply.
The more I consider it, the more I'm not worried about it at all. But, as a lark I might casually approach the boss man and ask him what he thinks.

"Hey boss man, do you think I'm qualified to fill the SysEng position? Do you think It would be a good fit for me?"

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just ordered another 64GB of RAM for my lab. Turns out you really can never have enough memory.