Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

If you wanting to watch something funny Paul is trying to figure out how to play infect, failing a little bit, and going full MJ and banning people who disagree with his plays. About as funny as MTG streams get.

I'll never understand why people watch him. He's like a combination of the worst parts of Kenji, MJ, and SGDoc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

suicidesteve posted:

I'll never understand why people watch him. He's like a combination of the worst parts of Kenji, MJ, and SGDoc.

and dzyl's on at this very moment!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

I imagine it's mostly because LSV skypes in sometimes and gets some "sick burns" on him. Though they are not actually all that sick.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

suicidesteve posted:

He's an easily flustered but otherwise incredibly average stay-at-home dad, who is actually very friendly 99% of the time. The CFB connection is absolutely why he's famous rather than another 1-200 viewer streamer, but he's pretty appealing in an Everyman sense.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Can someone post the MTG companies stickers and playmats again? I forgot to buy them last time and now redbubble deleted my cart.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Niton posted:

He's an easily flustered but otherwise incredibly average stay-at-home dad, who is actually very friendly 99% of the time. The CFB connection is absolutely why he's famous rather than another 1-200 viewer streamer, but he's pretty appealing in an Everyman sense.

To be fair he used to be a really good player.

vv :psyboom:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 21, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Elyv posted:

you are not siding in kor firewalker against any decks that actually run kozilek's return

I'm puting a few Returns in my burn sideboard. Works against Firewalker and more importantly works against Etched Champion and nexus, which is good.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zoness posted:

Bring back time spiral bolas who at least begrudgingly helped Teferi, not that he wanted to, stupid.

I too want bolas to be an anime schoolgirl who I can add to my anime mtg waifu harem

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

dragon enthusiast posted:

I too want bolas to be an anime schoolgirl who I can add to my anime mtg waifu harem

:agreed: I'll trade for the alternate art anime waifu version when they make them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The explanation for random card price spikes:

"(1) Look for cheap, preferably old cards on want lists
(2) Identify which card is cheap and in low enough supply that you can temporarily buy out the major sites that are being crawled by mtgstocks and other price aggregation sites
(3) Buy them up
(4) Relist them for $1000,-
(5) Let Pucatrade, mtgstocks and other price aggregation sites adjust its market-rate to your newly forged pump-n-dump
(6) Start sending out the crap card on Pucatrade to people who have it on their want list and are probably unaware of wth just happened
(7) Use your pucapoints to buy legit cards instead of MTG pennystocks."

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

The explanation for random card price spikes:

"(1) Look for cheap, preferably old cards on want lists
(2) Identify which card is cheap and in low enough supply that you can temporarily buy out the major sites that are being crawled by mtgstocks and other price aggregation sites
(3) Buy them up
(4) Relist them for $1000,-
(5) Let Pucatrade, mtgstocks and other price aggregation sites adjust its market-rate to your newly forged pump-n-dump
(6) Start sending out the crap card on Pucatrade to people who have it on their want list and are probably unaware of wth just happened
(7) Use your pucapoints to buy legit cards instead of MTG pennystocks."

It really is loving repulsive that people do this poo poo.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: I'll trade for the alternate art anime waifu version when they make them.

This already exists as fanart and is very nsfw

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Madmarker posted:

It really is loving repulsive that people do this poo poo.

It explains some of the random bullshit spikes like Mindslicer and Field of Dreams, although perhaps not actual good cards like Karn. The bigger problem is that #MTGFINANCE sites like MTGStocks trawl sales data on eBay/TCG, etc. and list the price of cards as what people list them at as opposed to what they have been purchased at.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This already exists as fanart and is very nsfw
But I want it to be official so we can have $500 Jace TMS as a tsundere school girl and her best buddy Lilian the strong Jojo goth, who is $600.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
People are actually buying Mindslicer at $10 which is super weird, it's the first time a poo poo spike card like that has actually been purchased at the spike price.

About 98% of spikes are entirely because it turns out that when there's only 100 copies of a card on the market, if 25 people decide they want it at the same time because it's good in their cool new deck, it spikes the market. This is why all the Eldrazi poo poo, Tron poo poo, inquisition, etc, are spiking. It's not market manipulation, it just turns out that the same reason you want those cards, other people want those cards, and they're going to buy them.

Field of Dreams, Mindslicer, other cards you're never going to play are market manipulation, but something is weird with Mindslicer where people are actually buying it at the markup price.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

Bring back time spiral bolas who at least begrudgingly helped Teferi, not that he wanted to, stupid.

You know, if Bolas' horns curved down instead of up, he'd match a certain someone's hairstyle pretty well...

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

But I want it to be official so we can have $500 Jace TMS as a tsundere school girl and her best buddy Lilian the strong Jojo goth, who is $600.

You'll just have to wait for the eventual future block where the GatewatchTM travels to Multiverse-63 where everybody is gender flipped

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
oh, btw, even if you hate reddit, it's useful to read/sub to /r/mtgmarketwatch and /r/mtgfinance so you can see where all the speculators are looking / see the spikes on the day of rather than a few days later.

There's also a fair amount of (terrible) discussion there, like people going "snapcaster won't go up in value now that splinter twin is banned" despite it creeping up 10% this week, etc (because snapcaster is amazing and by the time Modern season starts up he's gonna be everywhere, this is me predicting a spike, get on that poo poo fyi).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

You know, if Bolas' horns curved down instead of up, he'd match a certain someone's hairstyle pretty well...

Yeah but his servants are all caster class.

Or are angels I guess, by artwork.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

Yeah but his servants are all caster class.

Or are angels I guess, by artwork.

If Wizards got their poo poo together Tezzeret would be Archering all day in modern

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

gently caress you guys.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sigma-X posted:

oh, btw, even if you hate reddit, it's useful to read/sub to /r/mtgmarketwatch and /r/mtgfinance so you can see where all the speculators are looking / see the spikes on the day of rather than a few days later.

There's also a fair amount of (terrible) discussion there, like people going "snapcaster won't go up in value now that splinter twin is banned" despite it creeping up 10% this week, etc (because snapcaster is amazing and by the time Modern season starts up he's gonna be everywhere, this is me predicting a spike, get on that poo poo fyi).

MTGfinance is bad ever since they banned the hype spec threads. Now those were real fun to watch as people convinced themselves about the value of their cardboard.

You'll just have to wait for the eventual future block where the GatewatchTM travels to Multiverse-63 where everybody is gender flipped
I will patiently wait for Nicole-senpai.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sigma-X posted:

People are actually buying Mindslicer at $10 which is super weird, it's the first time a poo poo spike card like that has actually been purchased at the spike price.

About 98% of spikes are entirely because it turns out that when there's only 100 copies of a card on the market, if 25 people decide they want it at the same time because it's good in their cool new deck, it spikes the market. This is why all the Eldrazi poo poo, Tron poo poo, inquisition, etc, are spiking. It's not market manipulation, it just turns out that the same reason you want those cards, other people want those cards, and they're going to buy them.

Field of Dreams, Mindslicer, other cards you're never going to play are market manipulation, but something is weird with Mindslicer where people are actually buying it at the markup price.

Mindslicer has sweet art and the colors with the old Odyssey-era border work well together. Also I have a bunch of them so speculate away Reddit.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I will patiently wait for Nicole-senpai.

It's terrible and dumb.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 21, 2016

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm puting a few Returns in my burn sideboard. Works against Firewalker and more importantly works against Etched Champion and nexus, which is good.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the difference between 2 and 3 mana (in Modern) seens pretty huge to me against the types of decks you want a Pyroclasm style effect against. I mean against say Burn, they probably already have you at about dead anyways if they were on the play, and if your on the play Pyroclam or Anger of the Gods would have done what you need better. Is it just "moar pyroclasm" (and theres already 3 mana board wipes that are Clasm but better as is that dont see play in sideboards).

So why are people hyped up on Return in Modern? It seems like once you resolve one of your big Eldrazi it tends to be all she wrote anyways, unless your really that worried about a Collected Company style deck.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well.....at least it's not CGI art. But Wizards looks like it moved from paying cheap eastern europeans to high school artists.

E: Let me guess, you have to mail 100 pack wrappers to get the sticker for the black bar area? What will WOTC think of next?!

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 21, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Zoness posted:

To be fair he used to be a really good player.

I think he still is - it's easy to lose perspective with how many fantastic players stream, but Paul is still way, way better than the average player - while he's not making waves, he's also certainly not being hard-carried when he performs well at team events.

I just like watching him because he has an almost comical overreaction to things going wrong :shobon:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

anglachel posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but the difference between 2 and 3 mana (in Modern) seens pretty huge to me against the types of decks you want a Pyroclasm style effect against. I mean against say Burn, they probably already have you at about dead anyways if they were on the play, and if your on the play Pyroclam or Anger of the Gods would have done what you need better. Is it just "moar pyroclasm" (and theres already 3 mana board wipes that are Clasm but better as is that dont see play in sideboards).

So why are people hyped up on Return in Modern? It seems like once you resolve one of your big Eldrazi it tends to be all she wrote anyways, unless your really that worried about a Collected Company style deck.

Return is a card you can hit with Tron's Ponder, and when Twin was around you could play it at instant speed :(

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

anglachel posted:

it's a pyroclasm you can find with ancient stirrings

also sometimes the exile clause will do things

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

it's a pyroclasm you can find with ancient stirrings

also sometimes the exile clause will do things

While that is true, turn 2 is the critical point before decks like Merfolk get larger than 2 toughness.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I'm bad at magic, can somebody explain to me why Prowess is such a powerful mechanic asides from the obvious text that's written on the card? For example, at pre-release my opponents seemed to be deathly afraid of Stormchaser Mage and would always attempt to burn removal on it as early as possible. In the instances when he lived, though, he never seemed to do much.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I'm bad at magic, can somebody explain to me why Prowess is such a powerful mechanic asides from the obvious text that's written on the card? For example, at pre-release my opponents seemed to be deathly afraid of Stormchaser Mage and would always attempt to burn removal on it as early as possible. In the instances when he lived, though, he never seemed to do much.

Prowess is a very powerful constructed mechanic. Your opponent was probably overreacting (oath has no temur battle rage/ become immense combo like there was in Fate Reforged draft and is in standard)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's crap in a vacuum but does exceptionally well in limited metas with a lot of instants and sorceries or in constructed tempo decks. The reason why is that it rewards you for what you're were going to do anyway and are often on creatures with stats that with a slight boost can win out on combat situations and push for more damage they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Ramos posted:

While that is true, turn 2 is the critical point before decks like Merfolk get larger than 2 toughness.

Also when you'll generally be able to kill infect's creature rather than one of their three pump spells and when it'll result in 2 less damage from that turn 1 goblin guide/swiftspear

You can also fit pyroclasm into a curve of egg on 1, clasm on 2, wurmcoil or karn on 3 and can't fit return in the same place, and that's a better high end than i see the instant speed giving

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 21, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Notably, you're still probably boned against Infect because they always seem to be holding Mutagenic Growth. Somehow.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ramos posted:

It's crap in a vacuum but does exceptionally well in limited metas with a lot of instants and sorceries or in constructed tempo decks. The reason why is that it rewards you for what you're were going to do anyway and are often on creatures with stats that with a slight boost can win out on combat situations and push for more damage they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

I guess especially if you're using burn, you'll want to kill it as soon as the player is tapped out.

But again, you need the right kind of deck for it to be a scary card.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Imagine an infect creature with prowess. Stuff of nightmares.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Imagine an infect creature with prowess. Stuff of nightmares.

Fall 2016, Return to Battle-Scarred New Phyrexia.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Ramos posted:

I see, guess I should look at some Top 8 decks from the past year that feature it heavily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
By wizards standards, isn't most of the infect deck on its own special reserved list? I feel like these cards should be even more expensive considering they are never going to be reprinted again.

• Locked thread