Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

the one thing I don't get is these guys hedge that bitcoin will rise when the global economic system collapses

do they not understand that when things like that happen your bigger problem is keeping the power grid running and the streets free of riots..... like how do they expect to get their butts out of a box with no power or internet

cubesats

I wish I was kidding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

17. The bitcoin exchange that was being run entirely on a single ephemeral AWS virtual machine with no persistent storage. They lost all their bitcoins when they rebooted it one day.

18. Bitcoin sites with regular headline news of 'another new first Buttcoin ATM installed in new country' news showing how its taking off around the world, not showing how same ATMs are removed a few months later..

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Okay so a fiat currency is one that only has value by some decree, right? So chickens are not fiat because chickens have some inherent use to them, a dollar is fiat because its worth a dollar because someone said so. I think I get it so far.

Assuming I've got that right, why the gently caress are people saying bitcoins don't count as fiat? I don't see the value being any less made up because a bunch of nerds said it exists versus a government saying it exists, a lot less so if anything. This is a real question

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

cubesats

I wish I was kidding

lol

Cowboy Pope posted:

Okay so a fiat currency is one that only has value by some decree, right? So chickens are not fiat because chickens have some inherent use to them, a dollar is fiat because its worth a dollar because someone said so. I think I get it so far.

Assuming I've got that right, why the gently caress are people saying bitcoins don't count as fiat? I don't see the value being any less made up because a bunch of nerds said it exists versus a government saying it exists, a lot less so if anything. This is a real question

supply and demand

beanie babies were the protobutt

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

There's a strip club downtown that has a sign saying they accept bitcoins. I asked the bartender how often anyone takes them up on that, she said next time will be the first time as far as she knows

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wasn't there a bitcoiner who did a local meet up to sell coins but when he got there, there were a bunch of fishy looking people around so he panicked and tried to swallow his USB key?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

notZaar posted:

What percentage of global warming carbons can be attributed to criminals running overheating processors for this poo poo?

This whole thing would be a lot funnier if they were just :spergin: harmlessly in a sandbox, instead of actively killing the planet.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Did I miss the bitcoin-hobo CYOA getting posted?

The mining profit calculator is amazing so far, thanks for posting that, missed it the first go around.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Cowboy Pope posted:

Because they believe bitcoins are "backed by math". They are backed by the amount of mathematical calculations that went into their mining.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Did I miss the bitcoin-hobo CYOA getting posted?

http://bitsim.beepboopbitcoin.com/

Keep playing, the format shifts after a plot twist.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Powered Descent posted:

http://bitsim.beepboopbitcoin.com/

Keep playing, the format shifts after a plot twist.

sorry, the only thing dumber than this "game" is bitcoin itself

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

:stonklol:

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
What about the time that dude went to Brazil or whatever only to masturbate next to his mail order bride's sister and get kicked out of the house. I think bitcoins saved his life!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Everyone deserves love :3:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm glad I've taken business/finance/econ classes because I think this poo poo is hilarious but I think it's really hilarious when you have a decent understanding of how monetary systems are supposed to work.

City of Tampa posted:

I just want to find someone in Colorado or California who will mail me weed in exchange for paypal, why do I need to get TOR and go on usenet or whatever?

just put the weed in a box and mail it to me. I'll say they are CDs or golf balls to paypal

we can work something out I'm sure :wink:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Moridin920 posted:

I'm glad I've taken business/finance/econ classes because I think this poo poo is hilarious but I think it's really hilarious when you have a decent understanding of how monetary systems are supposed to work.

It's like watching one of those carbon fiber bicycle guys decide that his ride is too heavy and complicated so he throws it in a dumpster and makes a velocipede out of sturdy oak and the finest iron

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

we can work something out I'm sure :wink:

Hey Moridin, just so you know that someone is pulling for you, I contacted a few mods about your weirdo cyber-stalker and they agreed it's dumb as hell, that they're discussing what to do, and that there are plans to make it so that in the future mods won't be able to probate multiple times for a single post :thumbsup:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

Hey Moridin, just so you know that someone is pulling for you, I contacted a few mods about your weirdo cyber-stalker and they agreed it's dumb as hell, that they're discussing what to do, and that there are plans to make it so that in the future mods won't be able to probate multiple times for a single post :thumbsup:

My rule i live by is never gently caress with fyad.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

So how many women are involved with Bitcoin?

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Rufio posted:

What about the time that dude went to Brazil or whatever only to masturbate next to his mail order bride's sister and get kicked out of the house. I think bitcoins saved his life!

so is brazil.txt bannable in the grey forums or no
asking for a friend

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

wayne curr posted:

In the mathematical terms buttcoiners are so fond of, the number of women involved is an imaginary number.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In the mathematical terms buttcoiners are so fond of, the number of women involved is an imaginary number.

Just like bitcoins!

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Elissia posted:

so is brazil.txt bannable in the grey forums or no
asking for a friend

what's brazil.txt

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Edminster posted:

what's brazil.txt

YOU ARE IN FOR A TREAT MY FRIEND

http://pastebin.com/cUQG6AtA

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
^DAMNYOU

The greatest story bitcoin ever told: brazil.txt

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

quote:

so give the guy a scammer tag and let the free market self-correct, i don't see the problem here

Yeah.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

theultimo posted:

My rule i live by is never gently caress with fyad.

Yeah that's a pretty good one to go by. I don't think I hosed with them in this case, though, since I was told they were already aware of it and discussing what to do, I just wanted to make Moridin feel a bit better. The snitch thing was just an excuse to make glitter text.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

wayne curr posted:

This many:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

mods please post the PMs

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess what I'm trying to say is Mods KNOW

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Thre best part of that is how he was so concerned that the cops didn't understand bitcoin, rather than relieved that they caught the robber and recovered his wad of fiat currency.

Also the first comment

AtkinsonCameron posted:

lol, if you go to trade BTC in person, you had better be carrying a weapon. You can never rely on bystanders. My personal advice is a .38 that you can conceal easily. :P

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Elissia posted:

Some where in Brazil a family just can't believe what a German would do

or

I went to Brazil to wack it on to an underaged girl

THANKS BITCOIN!

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite part about the DPR case was all the letters from friends and family about what a great guy he was, with such great stories as "Ross voluntarily walked to the car through a rainy parking lot and picked us up at the entrance, valiantly sacrificing his own comfort to keep us dry."

WhyteRyce posted:

Wasn't there a bitcoiner who did a local meet up to sell coins but when he got there, there were a bunch of fishy looking people around so he panicked and tried to swallow his USB key?

Yes but they were black, not fishy.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Professor Shark posted:

If you post in fyad you're asking for dumb poo poo to happen to you, just fyi.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

wayne curr posted:

Just this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEthXBHsEac

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I've never heard of any half-way decent doomsday scenario where the internet is still up. We can't properly devolve into feudal lords vs. legions or rape-raiders if there's still an internet.

"Hey guys, a water caravan just tweeted that they're leaving. Call in the reserves, I looked up their new bodyguards and they're serious people, one of them hosts my favorite improvised-pipe-guns YouTube series."

I remember reading a short story called "When SysAmins Rule the World" (or something like that) where a biological agent kills everyone not in a clean room, like in a server farm, at the time and the protagonist and his co-workers were saved because they had an alert in the middle of the night. It was sorta dumb, but no butts.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Novo posted:

sorry, the only thing dumber than this "game" is bitcoin itself

actually it's good/funny

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Cowboy Pope posted:

An important factor you seem to be missing here is the amount of power the people have who are backing the fiat.

The US government holds a little more sway than a squabbling gaggle of scammer internet lolbertarians.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Elissia posted:

I cant believe I just read this whole dumb story that didn't happen.

I hate you.

Edit: Removed the probably. Of course that story didnt happen. I still hate you.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Concerned Citizen posted:

actually it's good/funny

it should have ended with your house burning down, the text adventure part is dumb. maybe i'm just mad because i got stuck at the tax collector

• Locked thread