Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Huxley posted:

I have a friend leaving on safari for his honeymoon in 2 weeks and he asked me about cameras and lenses. He's interested in general dad photography after they have kids, but really wants to get good stuff on his safari, so kind of trying to please opposite goals. Also money's not really an object for him.

Anyway, I told him to get a 7D2, the 18-55 kit and either the 70-300 or if he wanted to get stupid, look into renting a 100-400 once he's there. He wrote me back today and said he sister was going to loan him her T3i, kit, and 55-250. Considering he has no camera experience, I'm inclined to tell him that's just fine, but he specifically asked again about the big lens and I'm not sure what to tell him.
Safari where? In some countries the animals are basically outside your vehicle while in other places you need much longer glass.

Also you should quantify the "money's not really an object" statement. Assuming you really mean anything goes then the Canon 200-400 is probably the best safari lens you can get. That said, you can't just buy a big lens and brand new camera and hope to achieve good results.

The 100-400 is probably a great start for anyone. Perfect for "dad photography" later on (kids at sports games, etc) but really great for safari as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

Safari where? In some countries the animals are basically outside your vehicle while in other places you need much longer glass.

Also you should quantify the "money's not really an object" statement. Assuming you really mean anything goes then the Canon 200-400 is probably the best safari lens you can get. That said, you can't just buy a big lens and brand new camera and hope to achieve good results.

The 100-400 is probably a great start for anyone. Perfect for "dad photography" later on (kids at sports games, etc) but really great for safari as well.

I know they are flying into South Africa, but I'm not sure where their trip takes them from there. I think he's settled on borrowing the T3i and shooting either the 55-250 or going all in on a 100-400. Full-auto all the way, I am positive.

He's a DC lawyer in his 30s newly married to a DC doctor in her 30s. He's more concerned about the camera bag's weight than its price.

I've passed on some advice, thanks all!

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Well, I won Christmas: my father gifted me his Pentax ME Super with four lenses.

However, less than five minutes into playing with it, I've somehow got the mirror locked up. Google says this is a common issue, but none of their workarounds are helping (it doesn't stay down when I lower that lever to the left of the lens mount, it has fresh batteries). Are there other quick fixes I'm missing, or is it likely worth getting it serviced anyway?

(My dad put a roll through it a few months ago to make sure it all worked, but before then it's likely been untouched for well over a decade.)

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

rohan posted:

Well, I won Christmas: my father gifted me his Pentax ME Super with four lenses.

However, less than five minutes into playing with it, I've somehow got the mirror locked up. Google says this is a common issue, but none of their workarounds are helping (it doesn't stay down when I lower that lever to the left of the lens mount, it has fresh batteries). Are there other quick fixes I'm missing, or is it likely worth getting it serviced anyway?

Are the batteries in correctly? Couldn't figure out this issue with mine til it turned out that I had the battery flipped the wrong way...

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Flipped stuck mirror is usually a dead or dying battery in my experience.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Shellman posted:

Are the batteries in correctly? Couldn't figure out this issue with mine til it turned out that I had the battery flipped the wrong way...
Turns out they weren't! Didn't realise they go in differently to my XA.

Anyway, that didn't solve the problem, but I might try with new batteries just to rule that out. If I remove the lens and bring the mirror down with that lever, the meter works, though. (edit: I just checked again and they do work in my XA, I was just having trouble seeing the needle.)

[edit 2: if I do get new batteries and put them in, is there anything else I have to do to get the mirror unstuck?

rohan fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 26, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Same diagnosis here - it's a really common problem with the P67 and I think the ME super probably works the same way.

What you added really still sounds like a stuck solenoid from a dead battery. There's a mirror return button on a P67 that operates once there's power from the batteries, but I don't think the ME super works the same way.

Here's a PentaxForums thread with some possible fixes: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/77178-help-pentax-me-supers-mirror-stuck-up.html

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Update: put in new batteries, took off the base plate as a last ditch effort, played with the film advance lever one last time, and suddenly it all works. Thanks for your help, all! Not sure what the deal was, but I'm done trying to find the problem.

Now to get rid of these shameful UV filters ...

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I've managed to avoid owning a legitimate flash for my first five years, but recently I noticed some reasonably priced 3rd party flashes on Amazon, etc. My use case would be mainly indoor photos of my toddler using the flash attached to the hotshoe and probably bouncing off the ceiling. Would something like this be a reasonable for that? I see lots of manual flashes, but I'm assuming e-TTL will make my life much easier.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've managed to avoid owning a legitimate flash for my first five years, but recently I noticed some reasonably priced 3rd party flashes on Amazon, etc. My use case would be mainly indoor photos of my toddler using the flash attached to the hotshoe and probably bouncing off the ceiling. Would something like this be a reasonable for that? I see lots of manual flashes, but I'm assuming e-TTL will make my life much easier.

I don't know that brand buy my recommendation is to get a Yongnuo and a flash mod. It's pretty much as good as a first-party flash.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I'm going to be taking a cruise in a few months, and I'm planning to go snorkeling several times after trying it for the first time this year. I'll have a Fuji mirrorless with me, but I'm not serious enough about this to get something like a housing, so I'd like to just get a camera to use in the water. I don't dive, and am pretty unlikely to try it any time soon, so it wouldn't have to go very deep.

My first thought was the most recent GoPro, but while video would be nice, I'm also interested in photos, and it doesn't seem to do those very well. I also don't do much else that a GoPro would be good for :goonsay:, so maybe it would be a waste.

Wirecutter recommends the Olympus TG-4 and Panasonic DMC-TS6A, with the latter currently heavily discounted on Amazon through Adorama. Anyone have experience with either of them, or have any other thoughts? Thanks!

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

TheEye posted:

I'm going to be taking a cruise in a few months, and I'm planning to go snorkeling several times after trying it for the first time this year. I'll have a Fuji mirrorless with me, but I'm not serious enough about this to get something like a housing, so I'd like to just get a camera to use in the water. I don't dive, and am pretty unlikely to try it any time soon, so it wouldn't have to go very deep.

My first thought was the most recent GoPro, but while video would be nice, I'm also interested in photos, and it doesn't seem to do those very well. I also don't do much else that a GoPro would be good for :goonsay:, so maybe it would be a waste.

Wirecutter recommends the Olympus TG-4 and Panasonic DMC-TS6A, with the latter currently heavily discounted on Amazon through Adorama. Anyone have experience with either of them, or have any other thoughts? Thanks!

Not even kidding a little bit, just buy a few of these then send them to Citizens in Portland and get back scans on CD.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't know that brand buy my recommendation is to get a Yongnuo and a flash mod. It's pretty much as good as a first-party flash.

Yea, I did a little more reading and it looks like Yungnuo is worth a little extra money. What's a "flash mod" though?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A tool that changes shape and direction of the light output, like a soft box, or a grid.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheEye posted:

I have the Tough and have loved it. I think the TG4 shoots RAW now too.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

voodoorootbeer posted:

Not even kidding a little bit, just buy a few of these then send them to Citizens in Portland and get back scans on CD.

This is actually a pretty good idea, but I'm still not sure I'd do it. Worth considering though!

DJExile posted:

I have the Tough and have loved it. I think the TG4 shoots RAW now too.

Yeah, looks like it does. Thanks, good to know.

Any other input welcome!

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Not sure how, but Santa somehow managed to stuff this Zeiss beast down the chimney this year:

Can I just say, I love Nikon F mount. Brand new lens working perfectly with 70's body? Yes, please.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope your chimney survived the damage :D

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jimlad posted:

Not sure how, but Santa somehow managed to stuff this Zeiss beast down the chimney this year:

Can I just say, I love Nikon F mount. Brand new lens working perfectly with 70's body? Yes, please.

Noice. At least you can focus it easily on a film camera :p

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
So I'm looking to get back into some form of photography/film after leaving the film industry behind some years back. I'd love some help finding the right camera+lenses for me, since it feels like all the equipment I knew seems a little dated or unsuitable for what I'd like to do.

I'd like to just take something off trail, into the wilds, and shoot great landscapes and wildlife. The only camera I currently own is a GoPro Hero 3 Black, which I've always enjoyed using, but it obviously doesn't let me zoom in on anything and the lack of manual controls doesn't always let me capture what I want. I have to keep it on a budget, as well. Looking for a body and some lenses for less than $500 if possible.

I was originally looking at a Pentax K-50 with the 18-55mm and 50-200mm kit lenses. Would this be a good option or should I look elsewhere?

TigCobra
Oct 29, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am looking for a little advice. In April I am getting married and my soon to be wife and I will be taking a nice honeymoon to the Caribbean. I have never been an 'amateur' photographer or anything of the sort, but would like to take a camera on my honeymoon rather than run around with a cell phone camera. I have been looking at the following camera's: Sony a5100, a6000, and Nikon J5. They all seem to have more or less the same feature set, but from reading Sony has the better sensors. Could someone kindly point me in the right direction? Or am I currently on the right path?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd probably just get an RX100 for that type of situation. It's a lot nicer traveling with a pocket camera and it'll still be way better than a phone.

TigCobra
Oct 29, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I looked at those as well. Is it not worth getting interchangeable lens functionality?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you've never even been an amateur photographer I don't think you'll get that much out of it. If you aspire to get into it as a hobby, sure, then it make more sense. Or if there's something specific you want to shoot that needs the other lenses. I would definitely not get any of the Nikon mirrorless cameras regardless.

TigCobra
Oct 29, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the info. I was looking at it more as of investment than anything. Is it worth the extra money to go ahead and have the feature set.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TigCobra posted:

Thanks for the info. I was looking at it more as of investment than anything. Is it worth the extra money to go ahead and have the feature set.

Only you can answer that question. You've got some time, at least. Maybe buy a used Sony alpha that fits your budget and carry it around everywhere you go for 2 weeks. If you find that to be a huge pain in the rear end, sell it for pretty close to what you paid for it and get the RX100. Both will take amazing vacation pictures. Just be sure to buy used. Used camera gear can be very fluid, financially speaking.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm in the buy a used rx100ii camp.
Cheap, values are fairly stable and the lens will do most everything you want.
Small enough that you will actually take it places and use it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Love my rx100ii. It's my most carried camera and dedicated hiking/travel camera. The image quality is beyond impressive for a point and shoot.

I've also got my dslr stuff but the convenience of the compact makes it nicer to carry more often.

Sony mirrorless is pretty nice option as well. I've heard great things about the a6000.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I still use the RX100 mk1 (bought it on release day) and it's probably the best bang for buck in image quality I've ever spent money on. It takes great photos while being able to fit in a pocket and not draw attention. The a6000 takes better photos, but it's not as stealthy. Still not as obnoxious as a full frame DSLR though.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got a lens rated as BGN from KEH today and adding to the "Nothing looks wrong with it" pile.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I got a few BGN Canon FD lenses that were literally perfect in every way, but my BGN Nikon 105 2.5 has quite a bit of scuffs and the focus ring has a tough spot right in the middle of it (but the glass is perfect). I feel like that's closer to being a true BGN rating, so I can't complain, but I was a tiny bit disappointed it wasn't as nice as my other BGN stuff.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Vinestalk posted:

I'd like to just take something off trail, into the wilds, and shoot great landscapes and wildlife. The only camera I currently own is a GoPro Hero 3 Black, which I've always enjoyed using, but it obviously doesn't let me zoom in on anything and the lack of manual controls doesn't always let me capture what I want. I have to keep it on a budget, as well. Looking for a body and some lenses for less than $500 if possible.

I was originally looking at a Pentax K-50 with the 18-55mm and 50-200mm kit lenses. Would this be a good option or should I look elsewhere?

A K-50 + the pair of kit zooms would be a good option. Certainly that will get you up and running and do for 99% of what you're likely to try to shoot. One (very) nice feature of Pentax is the gigantic back-catalogue of long-obsolete lenses that will fit on any modern Pentax DSLR without needing modification or an adaptor. Great landscapes will be possible for you right out of the box, but wildlife is going to send you down the path of bigger, longer, and wider (aperture) very quickly. The good news there is that on a Pentax you can get 500mm f/4.5 for less than $500 (sometimes as low as $200, but don't hold your breath for that) by finding a 40-year-old (or older) Pentax / Asahi / Takumar monster. There are similarly cheap-ish ways to get more modest reach, everybody and their dog sold a 400mm f/crappy back in the 80's in every possible mount.

You've also got weathersealing in that starter package (old lenses won't have that) which is handy when you're out and about in the weather.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I'm looking to get into medium format again, and want to simplify a lot of the problems i had last time with my clunky Mamiya RB67. So i think i want either a Mamiya 7 or a Pentax 6 x 7. My reasoning is that they are basically like 35mm cameras and will be easier to shoot with. What's the difference between them? There seems to be a huge price gap between them and i'm not sure why. Is one outright superior or inferior?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Nameless Dread posted:

I'm looking to get into medium format again, and want to simplify a lot of the problems i had last time with my clunky Mamiya RB67. So i think i want either a Mamiya 7 or a Pentax 6 x 7. My reasoning is that they are basically like 35mm cameras and will be easier to shoot with. What's the difference between them? There seems to be a huge price gap between them and i'm not sure why. Is one outright superior or inferior?

One of them is a lot loving lighter.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Get a Rolleiflex.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Nameless Dread posted:

Mamiya 7 is about the size of a dslr. Pentax 67 is much bigger/heavier. Also, good luck getting a mamiya 7 repaired.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I always recomened anyone looking at the Mamiya 7 to look into a Koni Omega Rapid M. They are cheap but have the same issue all med format RFs have in that glass is slow and limited in choice. It's nearly P67 sized tho so don't think you are getting any weight benefits on the cheap.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, Mamiya 7 and the P67 are about the same size, the Mamiya 7 is just a lot lighter.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Luckily, I go to a photography school so i can check out the Mamiya 7 for free whenever, but that's all they really have i'm interested in. I was just wondering if it's worth the extra cost, and it seems like it might be. Though i will look into the Koni Omega. I admit i'm spoiled to with my DSLR so i'm not sure i could handle a Rolleiflex. I just want something idiot-proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Nameless Dread posted:

. I just want something idiot-proof.

GA645?