Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gabriel Pope posted:

That, and even once it unlocks it's really fuckin' expensive to fix someone who has 2-3 lovely skills, which can gently caress you over if you have bad luck with the wagon. This is really more an issue of there being too many lovely skills, though. A lot of classes only have 4-5 worthwhile skills.

Its like 1000 gold for a full rekit of basic skills isn't it? How do you not have enough money to completely retool a couple of guys after your first dungeon run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

dogstile posted:

Its like 1000 gold for a full rekit of basic skills isn't it? How do you not have enough money to completely retool a couple of guys after your first dungeon run?

Without Guild upgrades, unlocking a skill entirely costs 1000 gold, so you're looking at dropping a couple thousand on people with few/any of your preferred skills unlocked. Still should be attainable, especially if you sell off your first few garbage trinkets. (Even though it looks like they lowered the sell price on those, which absolutely needed to happen.)

Mostly I look at starting traits in my recruits more than I look at unlocked skills.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Someone please teach me the secret of getting deeds because despite the Weald saying it pays out in deeds that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

Someone please teach me the secret of getting deeds because despite the Weald saying it pays out in deeds that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

You just have to hold onto every precious deed you get during the mission. Long missions give quite a few deeds.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

After listening to the Jester plinking away on his lute for a couple of hours, an agonizing death at the hands of horrifying eldritch abominations doesn't sound so bad by comparison.

and then, in camp, the plague doctor whips out her leech satchel and, hey, yknow what, maybe ill just go fight some more of those mushroom-men instead. honestly, im fine. just dandy.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I've been watching lots of Youtube videos of the Darkest Dungeon itself.

The thing that suddenly strikes me me is the work that these cultists have gone to with the stonework and metalwork. Those fancy doors, those stress-mark masks...that's not easy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, Plague Doctor used to be terrible like a year ago when I first tried the game and now she's clutch as hell.

Go plague doctor, you have one of the coolest character designs in the game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the plague doctor is wicked sick

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've still never done a Long mission. What's enough stuff to bring? I'm thinking 16 torches, 24 food, 4 shovels and 3 of everything else offhand, just based on how much I've needed for Medium missions.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Red Mundus posted:

It pays out for the mission complete awards, but I don't think heirloom rewards are biased towards them during the mission itself.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I've still never done a Long mission. What's enough stuff to bring? I'm thinking 16 torches, 24 food, 4 shovels and 3 of everything else offhand, just based on how much I've needed for Medium missions.

depends on where you are going and the resolve level of the mission. Highest level Cove missions I almost always bring a stack of bandages because of the arterial punch from the crabs. I usually bring 4-5 shovels to that place because of the sunken treasure chest, clams, and blockades all use shovels.

For the ruins I bring 2-3 shovels, plenty of keys and holy water. Warrens and Weald you can skimp a bit on food provided you bring enough herbs and get a carcass or dinner table. I also like the PD for warrens to remove the drat diseases those pigs spit out during camping, of course PD loses damage consistency because blight is heavily resisted in there. For me the Weald is the dungeon that gives me the most trouble (haven't had time to play since release so no comment on the darkest dungeon), so I always bring a lot of supplies to that place.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
"3 of everything else" is probably overkill on some things and underkill on others.

For instance, Holy Water has a lot of curio utility in the ruins (urns, confessionals, statues, fountains), keys have a ton of treasure potential (locked sarcophagi, display cabinets, heirloom chests) Medicinal herbs have a good amount (alchemy tables, iron maidens), Bandages have very little (no curios, but a couple bleeding monsters) and antivenom has none (no blighting monsters except the Prophet boss, no curios that need it).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Spiders can blight you in the Ruins.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Red Mundus posted:

So one more little criticism, point-blank shot seems a little too overpowered for both player and enemy. Highwaymen can absolutely destroy enemies with it and enemies that use it can be a pain. Not unbalanced or anything but seems a little too good even if it does require you to be in the front row.
It's very hard to use later on without getting splattered.

Like some of the later enemies do not gently caress around when it comes to your front rank.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Bloodly posted:

The thing that suddenly strikes me me is the work that these cultists have gone to with the stonework and metalwork. Those fancy doors, those stress-mark masks...that's not easy.

Neither was all the poo poo the cultists built in the Temple of Doom. I tell ya man: Cultists are a weirdly artistic productive bunch.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Most of the riches you find are poo poo your Ancestor spent on workers and diggers and the like, stashed where they fell since they all died to the monstrosities that were unleashed, I take it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Maybe this is a stupid question, but the happy/sad mask things at the end of a quest seem to give negative results like 80% of the time. Safe to assume I should just not open them for characters that are already good?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

katkillad2 posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but the happy/sad mask things at the end of a quest seem to give negative results like 80% of the time. Safe to assume I should just not open them for characters that are already good?
They open automatically when you click "next". I think the design for clicking them open is more as a sort of "and what quirk did your little Crusader get, why not open this little box with anticipation and find out..."

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

katkillad2 posted:

Your character will have already picked up whatever quirk is behind the mask, whether you click them or not.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

Most of the riches you find are poo poo your Ancestor spent on workers and diggers and the like, stashed where they fell since they all died to the monstrosities that were unleashed, I take it.

only the profligates died, friend. anyone with even an ounce of vision is hanging out in the dungeon, eating strange meat and making beautiful metalwork

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

katkillad2 posted:

i've gotten about 50/50 on those, you likely just have bad luck

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

katkillad2 posted:

Safe to assume I should just not open them for characters that are already good?

you cannot escape your fate

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Okay, I could have been spared the "adventurers too high level to attempt mission" schtick. Recruiting people off the coach just to send them directly to their deaths gets old.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm having trouble with the hellion. What's the catch here? Between Leper, Man-at-arms, and crusader I'm having a hard time justifying taking her. Especially since half her skills debuff her.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

I'm having trouble with the hellion. What's the catch here? Between Leper, Man-at-arms, and crusader I'm having a hard time justifying taking her. Especially since half her skills debuff her.

She's about burst damage, basically. A front line fighter who blasts away enemies but then is weaker the next turn because of it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Keys have gotten more useful now that secret rooms are a thing. Scouting was already good, but it got even better.

Camp skills that boost scouting also have the '4 battles' limit. However, on some dungeons you can really extend the number of scouting procs by simply avoiding hallway encounters when possible.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Red Mundus posted:

Huh? She rules. She's got solid dodge, can hit any of the four positions from the front, and she's got a self-buff/minor heal. I tend to avoid the attacks that debuff her, but they have their place as well. Probably.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Red Mundus posted:

Hellion has high crit, accuracy, and reach compared to the leper and crusader.

I've settled on using her non-debuff skills unless there is an opening in the middle or end of a fight to get good utility from them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I R O N S W A N

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
Is scouting chance displayed anywhere, or do I look at torch/trinkets/quirks and kind of guess?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Applying medicine to corpse carts in the weald "cleanses the meat" and gives you perfectly average food rations for your party. You'd think there would be additional effects from the cannibalism.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Put your hellion in spot #1, give her the default attack, iron swan, if-it-bleeds, and either the self buff/dot cure or the aoe stun. They nerfed if-it-bleeds, so you are only really going to use that if you want to attack spot #3.

Round 1: iron swan like 95% of the time. This should either kill their back slot or let someone else finish the job.
After that, you just use the attack that lets you go for the thing you want dead. Even with a damage nerf if someone else has put damage on their #3 slot if-it-bleeds can finish them off.

Using her stun is a bit tricky since it debuffs her dodge, so I tend to not use it on 2 enemies, but the success rate is really high so sometimes you have a "2 ticks of the dot will finish guy (A) and I'd like to stun guy (B)" situation, and if guy (A) hasn't gone yet her stun is perfect. I usually take the dot clearing ability, since if you have any non-healing options with your healer cleansing a dot is often more hp than an average heal (later on).

Provisioning talk:
With secret rooms I think you should always hold onto 1 key if possible. The trick with long missions is that taking a ton more curio supplies isn't really useful, since between stuff like sacks of loot and fight rewards you're going to fill your inventory.

Something to keep in mind with torches is that if you have +torch abilities you don't need quite as many, and if you're going to the ruins you probably need some extra for the cultists -torch effects. Depending on your timing of camping you could save a few torches there as well. 16 is a pretty good target, often times I'll take 1-2 more (enough to give some lee-way while also few enough that the slot will be open for loot quick). If you're going to warrens don't skimp on torches, there is a good curio interaction there.

If the money isn't a huge deal, clear out the food (I think it is 3 stacks?) or at least take 2. The idea is that you'd like to be able to feast when you camp, which heals 25% hp and 10 stress but takes 8 food. If you're going to warrens/weald feel free to take less if you want to commit some herbs into the food interactions.

1 shovel per length is about the expected wall generation rate, 1 extra for the weald. If you're going to the cove shovels also open a bunch of stuff, so take extras and try to keep a few around for walls.

The rest of the supplies you should take based on where you're going. I wouldn't take more than 3 of a type, and those only the heavy-hitting interaction options. If you're going to the warrens or cove I'd take 1 inventory slot to stock up on their special curio item, because if you find a bunch of them that is way more effective money than an inventory slot could give.

Both those places spawn a curio with a "remove negative quirk" thing.
Warren - pile of scrolls (note scrolls NOT books) <-- apply a torch
Cove - eerie coral <-- apply medicinal herbs

Everywhere can spawn an eldritch altar, but its a low chance so not something to plan for
Everywhere - eldritch alter (tentacle altar) <-- holy water

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Deacon of Delicious posted:

Is scouting chance displayed anywhere, or do I look at torch/trinkets/quirks and kind of guess?

I would also like to know this.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The base scouting on a trip isn't present, but if you use a camp buff, in the upper left corner near the retreat icon you it displays the scouting buff.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Holy poo poo these guys with dogs are amazing.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Bloodly posted:

New Game+ mode, unlocked after beating the game once. Adds 91-week time limit, toughens enemies, blocks the options modifying game elements(Like corpses).

Fuuuuck this is the mode I really want to be playing but I don't know if I'll really want to play through the game after beating it once. Anyone know if there's a flag in the .ini I can change so I can access NG+ off the bat?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the overzealous downvoting of every positive review on steam is hilarious, willing to bet it's all from that one guy whose brain broke about his custom mod and has like 200 posts on his review every day

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So here's what I settled on with the Jester: for Solo I added a Mark Self and a Dodge buff that scales from 10-20%, but I also made it unusable from position 1, so he can't spam it from the front. Heroic End got its debuff removed, and can now hit any position, but it also does -75% dam instead of +50%, and it marks its target. I'm also experimenting with turning Harvest into a pull attack of some sort, just to keep the jester's position-fuckery theme going. I really, really, want to take away its dam and have it pull both ranks 3 and 4, but that uh, might be a little much. I'll probably just settle on gutting the damage, keeping the bleed and making it a single-target pull.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 21, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MinibarMatchman posted:

the overzealous downvoting of every positive review on steam is hilarious, willing to bet it's all from that one guy whose brain broke about his custom mod and has like 200 posts on his review every day

Why would someone be so upset about this game? Did it kill his dog or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Why would someone be so upset about this game? Did it kill his dog or something?

the answer is "video games" but seriously it's a vocal minority that feel betrayed that they can't exploit the same poo poo as they could last year. also most of them have like 100 hours logged which is pretty funny. idk how "THIS FUKKEN RNG" is such a common complaint when realistically, if you're good at composition and upgrades, the RNG isn't the satanic device people think it is. Sure you can get hosed but this is nothing loving new to any or all RPG games ever in existence.