Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Cold War Thread, I have a request: does anyone have a picture of an ICBM launch console, where the arming or launch key has two positions labeled "War" and "Peace"? I swear I've seen it before, but I'm striking out hard on Google. I could be misremembering it and it's a switch or something other than an ICBM console. I'm developing a lecture on command and control systems and I really want to include that picture.

I've seen real war/peace switches in Swedish Cold War installations, but not for nuclear launch consoles obviously. Usually they are just for switching electrical power over to a different grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm trying and failing to catch up with the thread - I'm currently on Feb 8, 2012 - and I just want to know if it's still OK to make fun of F-35, or is it finally a Good Plane now

sorry for bringing about F-35 chat again

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JcDent posted:

I'm trying and failing to catch up with the thread - I'm currently on Feb 8, 2012 - and I just want to know if it's still OK to make fun of F-35, or is it finally a Good Plane now

The F-35 will be okay to make fun of until all three versions have become combat-proven, so you still have easily a decade of guffaws at its expense.

Here, let's have some F-35 news:

People pining about the F-22 production and trying to convince themselves they can't ask for it to be reopened
USAF slepping up more F-16
RAF extends life for Tornado squadrons

Oh wait, those aren't F-35 news directly. Here are news that directly concerns the F-35:
All F-35 in the fleet need to get their fuel tanks changed
UK abandons plans to integrate Storm Shadow on F-35

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 21, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Helter Skelter posted:

Gin and Juche! :haw:

loving hell it was right there the whole time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JcDent posted:

VTOL is always funny.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

double post

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Guffaws secured, thank you all

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

JcDent posted:

'Sup archives buddy. I think this was the best post so far:

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was about to say.

Anyone who thinks that the RN would ever be in a situation where they actually have modern, deployable carriers and no planes to put on them is loving high as poo poo. Worst case the US will just flat out GIVE them a bunch of old carrier planes. And let's face it, if the RN is designing and building a new generation of carriers that can't launch and recover American naval aircraft they're loving morons.
:laffo:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
[quote="TasogareNoKagi" post="""]

:laffo:
[/quote]

Hahaha oh MoD :allears:

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

The F-35 will be okay to make fun of until all three versions have become combat-proven, so you still have easily a decade of guffaws at its expense.

Here, let's have some F-35 news:

UK abandons plans to integrate Storm Shadow on F-35

My favorite part of this is that you get to mix :lockheed: with some classic British Procurement:

Jane's posted:

The original plan was for all three threshold weapons to be qualified for internal carriage on the F-35B. However, the 2010 decision to switch to the F-35C variant - subsequently reversed in 2012 - had repercussions for this plan according to Barker.

the article's tl;dr is that they were integrating on the 35B, then switched to the 35C, then changed their minds and went back to the 35B, therefore loving themselves over

the f-35a and f-35c have been good planes for like a year now

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I would argue the F-35C isn't a great plane yet because the Navy is still just buying more of everything else instead of it the last I saw. The 35A is coming along well enough though, and will be better at the strike role than the F-16 really ever could be.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well yes, it would hopefully be better than a lightweight interceptor at strike missions.

The real problem is that the F-35A is going to have to do everything because there aren't enough air frames. Oh and also the procurement process is still a clusterfuck even if the plane is good so hopefully congress doesn't freak out after 300 airframes.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

hobbesmaster posted:

Well yes, it would hopefully be better than a lightweight interceptor at strike missions.

Well yes but people still think we're getting a plane worse then the F-16 for 200 million each because of g limits or whatever the gently caress. It's a better plane than the F-16 at most of the roles an F-16 performs, theres really no question about that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mazz posted:

It's a better plane than the F-16 at most of the roles an F-16 performs, theres really no question about that.

So is the F-15E and it can be bought at a flyaway under $200mil right now...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

So is the F-15E and it can be bought at a flyaway under $200mil right now...

But the Mud Hen doesn't incorporate buzzword-worthy technobabble technologies that make Congress horny because it potentially means systems integration and/or manufacturing jerbs in their state/district. Better to have a brand new airframe that needs a brand new pipeline of labor and manufacturing than something already established. Geez, it's like you hate Freedom or something.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If it doesn't allow 1080p60 streaming video and audio to the CAOC complete with equipped and compulsory voice chat between the pilot and the CAOC director then the Air Force doesn't want it

what, you didn't think we meant systems integration with other airborne assets, did you?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Making movies in Best Korea.

Apparently the C96 is still cool with revolutionary muralists.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

CarForumPoster posted:

Man its a small internet. Unless there are multiple B4Ctom1s, you posted comments on one of my imgur posts and I think you used to be on another car forum I was on like turbo mustangs.
Those are both me too.

I am a disease. Google me, nobody else would ever use my name, it is too stupid.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Being a Lockheed engineer on the F-35A has to be cushy as hell. Throw wadded up paper balls at all the jags working on the B variant on your way to a liquid lunch.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

holocaust bloopers posted:

Being a Lockheed engineer on the F-35A has to be cushy as hell. Throw wadded up paper balls at all the jags working on the B variant on your way to a liquid lunch.

It could be the opposite. The B team saying "And we need this" and then the A and C guys just groaining and saying to themselves "welp, goodbye kludge solution #4..."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

It could be the opposite. The B team saying "And we need this" and then the A and C guys just groaining and saying to themselves "welp, goodbye kludge solution #4..."

I guarantee you it's this. "Hey guys, that 6oz widget that neatly solves the fuel issue puts us too close to our weight budget. Sorry."

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If you give the F-35B team an ounce, they'll ask for a...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

xthetenth posted:

If you give the F-35B team an ounce, they'll ask for a...

another one, because they collectively smoke that much by lunch

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
You can't really blame the engineers; they didn't decide the requirements.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

another one, because they collectively smoke that much by lunch

:vince:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

B4Ctom1 posted:

Those are both me too.

I am a disease. Google me, nobody else would ever use my name, it is too stupid.

The thickness of the mullet you must posses for a modded V6 camaro...I bet is magical.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

You can't really blame the engineers; they didn't decide the requirements.

I'm gonna go ahead and say there are plenty at fault including engineers.

I've had so many "what the gently caress, engineers" moments on systems far simpler than a jet fighter.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CarForumPoster posted:

The thickness of the mullet you must posses for a modded V6 camaro...I bet is magical.

Sometimes you're 19 and your friends 88' V6 is all you can afford...

I loved that car though.

:rip:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mlmp08 posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say there are plenty at fault including engineers.

I've had so many "what the gently caress, engineers" moments on systems far simpler than a jet fighter.

As an engineer on mil planes, can confirm its probably the fault of someone who at least possesses an engineering degree even if theyre now a manager or systems person.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I've had many "what loving idiot designed this" moments on stuff I designed! Well, specified and then agreed the CAD model looked fine.

Mechanical engineers and their excuses like "tolerance stack up". That connector had plenty of clearance on the CAD model! :argh:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Feel free to narrate this one. I know the one in the foreground but I have no idea what the others are.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
e: middle is F3H Demon, top is F2H Banshee ^^^^

gaaaaaAAAAAHHHHHHhhhhhh :pwn:

hobbesmaster posted:

I've had many "what loving idiot designed this" moments on stuff I designed! Well, specified and then agreed the CAD model looked fine.

Mechanical engineers and their excuses like "tolerance stack up". That connector had plenty of clearance on the CAD model! :argh:

One design that comes to mind for me was a box with a panel cover that, when actually installed in the aircraft with cables connected, could not be closed due to the cables getting in the way.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 22, 2016

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have a family member who basically has his entire job as this:

Make sure the latest poo poo they crammed onto the plane doesn't break all the other poo poo on the plane or violate various safety regulations and still lets maintenance be possible around it.

He's rather overworked.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

mlmp08 posted:

I have a family member who basically has his entire job as this:

Make sure the latest poo poo they crammed onto the plane doesn't break all the other poo poo on the plane or violate various safety regulations and still lets maintenance be possible around it.

He's rather overworked.

I hope he works in a one story building.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hogmartin posted:

Feel free to narrate this one. I know the one in the foreground but I have no idea what the others are.

Farthest to Nearest: F2H Banshee, F3H Demon, F4H Phantom II. It's a formation flight of McDonnell Aircraft fighters built for the USN.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Farthest to Nearest: F2H Banshee, F3H Demon, F4H Phantom II. It's a formation flight of McDonnell Aircraft fighters built for the USN.

tyvm. I don't know anything about the two that aren't Phantoms, so reading time for me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

One design that comes to mind for me was a box with a panel cover that, when actually installed in the aircraft with cables connected, could not be closed due to the cables getting in the way.

I er uh that sounds familiar...

Thankfully I do not work on aircraft, these were little prototype inspection robots.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

hogmartin posted:

tyvm. I don't know anything about the two that aren't Phantoms, so reading time for me.

The Phantom II was initially designed and pitched as an F3H-G Super Demon.

The initial mockups didn't have all the origami-folded dihedral/anhedral wings and tail that they ended up needing to get the double-ugly to have any yaw authority.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

The Phantom II was initially designed and pitched as an F3H-G Super Demon.

The initial mockups didn't have all the origami-folded dihedral/anhedral wings and tail that they ended up needing to get the double-ugly to have any yaw authority.

oh loly crap that's like an entirely different plane. I wouldn't even have identified it as a Phantom II except for the engines. It doesn't even have the droopy snout, much less the angled elevators and bendy wings.

e: hey, why are there Boeing barricades behind it?

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 22, 2016