Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Squizzle posted:

There is no emoji for what I'm feeling right now. It's not a good feeling, though.

:eyepoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

The big party trick is that it...splits in half.

:psypop:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, what's the verdict on Steve's new Cap costume?

I'll be honest...not a fan.

I used to really like Captain America. Now I'm not so sure.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I like it. It's very blue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Steve Rogers being dumb and wrong is now reflected in his look.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Imagine that except expressed as a mix of crushing parent-style disappointment, and resignation.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
Anyone able to fill us in about what happened to the old shield? Someone else wielding it, I guess?
Also the costume looks terrible. Body gloves aren't really what I think of at the mention of a military themed super-hero.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If Captain America were an '80s cartoon villain, that costume is what his generic foot soldier minions would wear.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Toadstrieb posted:

Anyone able to fill us in about what happened to the old shield? Someone else wielding it, I guess?
Also the costume looks terrible. Body gloves aren't really what I think of at the mention of a military themed super-hero.

Falcon Cap still has it.

It never ceases to amaze me how, through all the different costumes Cap has had, not a single artist bothered to reference actual military uniforms. A quick google search of a Special Ops soldier or SWAT member gives tons of great - useful - reference options and would certainly not look hokey with a quick red/white/blue color shift.

I hate to bring up pushes but those on Cap are too small and too low compared to what actual dudes wear.

And what's with the armor mesh at his shoulders? That's about the dumbest area to place protection.

(i bet it's adamantium or vibranium, to boot)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toadstrieb posted:

Sam Wilson has it.

Ferrule posted:

And what's with the armor mesh at his shoulders? That's about the dumbest area to place protection.

He's been watching a lot of wrestling in his time off and thinks the Spear is wholly underutilized in combat.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The forearm pouches are totally a great idea for a guy who fights by hitting people with a shield.

I was actually on the fence about this until I saw the two-piece shield. That's just awful.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

It looks fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You know what the problem with the costume is? Too much blue. Every costume he's worn as Captain America has had big portions of red and white to break it up. Even the movie costumes (excepting the stealth one) stick to that.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
It reminds me of Liefield's Fighting American, more than anything.

I've always wanted to see this look come back:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

redbackground posted:

I hate everything about this even more.

Yeah, I didn't like the new look, but figured I was just being old and lame. That shield-blade thing is lovely

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Huh.

I thought forgoing the circle shield was supposed to be a cue for him stepping back from the heroics--since he can't throw it, the shield's purely defensive, and, like Cap's original shield, it's supposed to suggest the shield on the Seal. It'd be a step to make him less an active superhero and more a superheroic statesman. Sam Wilson's the action Captain America who does things and fights HYDRA, Steve Rogers is the executive Captain America who guides the larger community.

But then they give it the knife-shield action and I don't have a clue why they did anything.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Has anybody claimed responsibility for that travesty yet, because it is setting off my design by committee radar?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if he designed it, but that's Daniel Acuna art.
Jesus Saiz will be the artist on the series, so maybe him.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Precambrian posted:

Huh.

I thought forgoing the circle shield was supposed to be a cue for him stepping back from the heroics--since he can't throw it, the shield's purely defensive, and, like Cap's original shield, it's supposed to suggest the shield on the Seal. It'd be a step to make him less an active superhero and more a superheroic statesman. Sam Wilson's the action Captain America who does things and fights HYDRA, Steve Rogers is the executive Captain America who guides the larger community.

But then they give it the knife-shield action and I don't have a clue why they did anything.

If they were going to do that, I'd think a full riot shield would be more appropriate, since those don't have sharp bits.

And frankly, with your explanation, I'd be cool with the idea.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Why didn't they just give him the stealth suit from the secret avengers/movie?

Why is he suddenly going all stabby with the shield?

WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO RUIN THINGS? Christ it's like no one has figured out the iconic design WORKS because it's good. Cap should not look like Rob Liefeld hosed a tube of toothpaste.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I wonder if it would be better if they removed those weird strips of red and brown. Maybe that's just because I thought the Winter Soldier outfit early in the movie was a hundred times more rad than the costume he brought back in the second half.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I like it when you can see where Cap's belt line is. You know, where the red-and-white stripes end. He looks weird without some kind of visible divider.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

He has George W. Bush face. Not a good look for Cap, noted historically for not being George W. Bush.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

OK folks, hear me out: We have Steve reppin' the blue, looks like he's doing a fine job there. So let's put Sam and Bucky in new suits, have Captain America Red and Captain America White. Then, we hire a choreographer to work out some three-man crimestopping dance routines and

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Squizzle posted:

OK folks, hear me out: We have Steve reppin' the blue, looks like he's doing a fine job there. So let's put Sam and Bucky in new suits, have Captain America Red and Captain America White. Then, we hire a choreographer to work out some three-man crimestopping dance routines and

Bollywood Captain America? I'd watch that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nessus posted:

He has George W. Bush face. Not a good look for Cap, noted historically for not being George W. Bush.
Maybe this is meant to be the 'conservative' Cap for everybody who's butthurt over Sam being Cap.

You know, 'Seperate but equal' Captains America.

Wait...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

The big party trick is that it...splits in half.

What the hell was this? Can someone upload it to imgur like a normal person in 2011 would?

Also y'all are hating this way more than I think is reasonable. It's not a very good look and needs improvement but come on it's just one year. The shield bugs me more than anything else, and even then only because he's going to stab someone with it and be all :smug: about it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The costume is bad but the shield betrays the new edgier character attempt that elevates a bad costume into the dumpster fire stratosphere.

Why the gently caress would Steve Rodgers need a drat knife shield?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

His shield's apparently already sharp enough to cut a loving head off, so I have no idea.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
So, is Split-Knife-Shield better or worse than Digitaly-Projected-Laser-Shield?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, what's the verdict on Steve's new Cap costume?

I'll be honest...not a fan.
this is a captain america costume designed by an alien
it has this weird jackbooted vibe so it's basically perfect for the red scare cap in that one "what if?'
that the shield has a laser edge at the end of whatever especially screams that- it's a fake as gently caress shield meant to harm, not protect. when it splits it completely becomes a weapon

Ferrule posted:

So, is Split-Knife-Shield better or worse than Digitaly-Projected-Laser-Shield?
laser shield is fuckin great because:

Fereydun posted:

udon taskmaster

Udon Taskmaster

UDON TASKMASTER

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i don't think I trust captain white america

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Squizzle posted:

And their sexy blonde sidekick, Gold Fringe.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

And their sexy blonde sidekick, Gold Fringe.

Getting excited to see these guys against an All-New, All-Different Flagsmasher right now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My arch-nemesis, Sovereign Citizen!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Aphrodite posted:

Steve Rogers being dumb and wrong is now reflected in his look.

AGREED.

Cripes, Chris Evans so pretty please don't cover his face Marvel Movies. Just put him in bikini briefs and I think that's good enough.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Gatts posted:

AGREED.

Cripes, Chris Evans so pretty please don't cover his face Marvel Movies. Just put him in bikini briefs and I think that's good enough.

I wonder how much money could be made off an Avengers Bikini Special with the actual actors from the movies in themed beachwear
and how much such a thing might cost

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

net cafe scandal posted:

It looks fine.

For the Olympic short track speed skating team.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
I don't love the new Cap suit, but I do think I would want an action figure of it if I were still a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

lol I like that the shield separates into two mini shields.

• Locked thread