Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Lowered cars are cool cars. New edges need a drop especially.

Look at this poo poo:

vs

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I like fast cars more than I like cool cars, so v :) v

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont know what that means your car won't slow down any if you lower it. It'll only improve the handling.

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 21, 2016

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Three posts up a goon was slowed down for weeks or months by lowering his car, so that.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
No way Lowered Cars RULE!!!!!!

Bone Freaking Stock in 2001

New wheels in 2005/6

LCA, CC, springs, struts, shocks, subframes - 2011

Steering shaft, Torque arm, panhard bar, 2014

31 spline axles, new diff, gears, and buckets. -2015

The order of parts is based on when I took the pictures. Parts have been installed each year, Ever since I got the suspension bug.
Next up to lower it even more with coilovers, and front k-member. Hopefully spring 2016 or 17.

kalvick fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 21, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Krakkles posted:

What all got damaged?

My mustang is stock height, but I still feel like it's too low after switching back from my lifted Jeep.

If only I could make the Jeep as fast as the mustang ....

Cracked transmission mount, busted muffler, oil and transmission fluid leaking. .. he got hosed pretty good.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 4, 2020

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
There is no way that's stock. Did the V6 even have dual exhaust from the factory?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah that first picture with those boogered on sleeves, that exhaust has absolutely been hosed with.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 4, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

I dont know what that means your car won't slow down any if you lower it. It'll only improve the handling.
This is one of the biggest myths out there.

On some cars, stock height suspension can be improved by simply installing a lowering kit. On MOST cars, installing a lowering kit in the absence of other modifications will have negative handling effects, such as reducing travel, altering otherwise non-adjustable alignment characteristics, steering angles, introducing bump steer, etc.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yes, but

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
If he wants his mustang to be a jeep, let him. Better than wanting to stance that poo poo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I don't think Ive ever seen a stanced mustang.

If you want a jeepstang just do this:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

Yes, but
Ergo, "cool" vs fast. But that was a fun roundabout.

Buhbuhj posted:

If he wants his mustang to be a jeep, let him. Better than wanting to stance that poo poo.
:rolleyes:

Cage posted:

I don't think Ive ever seen a stanced mustang.

If you want a jeepstang just do this:

Trust me, if I had more free time, I would.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Krakkles posted:

Ergo, "cool" vs fast. But that was a fun roundabout.
Still don't get this. The worst I've heard is that you get some bump steer which is fixed by an offset bushing.

Im talking kalvick and I types of lowering, not laying frame or whatever the hot term is.

Cage fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 22, 2016

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

Still don't get this. The worst I've heard is that you get some bump steer which is fixed by an offset bushing.

What do you still not get? You value "correct" wheel gap ("cool") over performance ("fast"), I do not.

PS, nice edit, but your original comment was about New Edges having "some of the worst wheel gap ever", not an explicit recognition that lowering your car causes handling issues.

I would have lowered my car if it would have made it faster. I won't lower it because you don't think it looks cool.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
edit: this is all really stupid. I am a big baby and my e-pride was hurt somehow by your cool vs fast comment. Sorry.

Everyone do everything that you want to your mustangs if its something you want done to your mustang!

I bought a smooth rear bumper thats sitting in my basement until I get around to painting and installing it. I'm also going to get my spoiler holes filled in and repaint the trunk before winters over. Can't wait for spring.

Cage fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 22, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I ordered a blackout kit for the lights on my '16, and a set of jacking rails to make lifting it easier. I'll probably put them on next weekend. Install looks to be a bit of a pain on the vinyl, but not too bad.

I'm not worried about go-fast stuff too much. The Coyote is already fast as hell.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Im disappointed at the lack of good louver options on the 15+ mustangs.

What is with this?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mmd-rear-window-louver-1516.html

The aluminum set is better, but that bottom one throws me off.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

ilkhan posted:

I ordered a blackout kit for the lights on my '16, and a set of jacking rails to make lifting it easier. I'll probably put them on next weekend. Install looks to be a bit of a pain on the vinyl, but not too bad.

I'm not worried about go-fast stuff too much. The Coyote is already fast as hell.

Did you go with steeda, bmr or someone else for your rails?

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Cage posted:

What is with this?

Looks like it was a set of regular louvers but after a guy fell down on them

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Looks like it was a set of regular louvers but after a guy fell down on them

They are actually flat its just a really weird effect from how they are shaped. I think the cjpp louvers look the best but none that I've seen so far really fit the s550 at all.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah its mostly flat but still weird.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

What is with this?

It looks like they're trying to ape the LP670 louvers (sorta) but it just doesn't work on the Mustang.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Starkk posted:

Did you go with steeda, bmr or someone else for your rails?
Steeda.

I'll end up doing a light tint (ceramic, 35-40%) as well by mid March.

I'm starting to see a ton of S550s around, too. Nearly every day I see at least one.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Im looking for an honest answer, and not trying to troll, but short of cutting springs to get a lowered ride or running a stanced vehicle (both ruining your suspension that way) what vehicle in particular would actually be negatively affected by a simple lowering kit designed for that particular model vehicle? what do you consider a lowering kit? is that just springs? or shocks/struts & springs?

All OEM have tolerances for lowering springs, from around 20 to 60mm. its up to you to figure out what springs you can get. Dropping a car 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch you can still get an alignment and your car will be ok. I am 99.99% sure thats true for any car. all OEM's should have tolerances for these kinds of drops. if you are going to go out and get a 60mm drop, and your car doesnt perform as good as stock, thats because you didn't do your homework. So the argument really, is the car looks cool verses going fast, really comes down to the user being a dumbass. All lowering kits approved and within spec for your application should be able to perform better than stock therefore giving you better performance no matter how small it may be.

As for the stock Mustang ride height, performance to coolness issues is a non factor. The suspension flat out sucks. The frame/chassis twists, and it wheel hops, its got quad shocks, and centuries old solid axle, and other cheapest of the cheap parts. Its all crap! Anything you do to the suspension could only help it. Same thing applies if you wanted to lift it for whatever reason. You just need to get good parts.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Companies like BMR know their poo poo and put a lot of research into their products. If they say the car performs best with a certain spring and damper setup I'm inclined to believe them.

In other suspension news, Koni just released their dampers for the s550 and I'm excited to see how they perform.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

Im looking for an honest answer, and not trying to troll, but ...
Read Carroll Smith's books on (race) car design, particularly Racing Chassis and Suspension design. You might be surprised how complicated correctly building (or upgrading) suspension actually is. You seem to have some very right ideas and miss some very important concepts, and you really need to know all of them to get it truly "right". At a quick glance: There's a huge variation in oem suspension design, and saying all cars can be dropped 20-60mm with no negative effects is absolutely untrue. When you mention all kits approved and within spec, whose spec are you talking about? Ford/OEM? They don't publish that, short of considering whatever performance parts they offer. The aftermarket manufacturer? There are a couple I'd trust (Griggs comes to mind), a few I'd take with a grain of salt (Maximum Motorsports, perhaps?), and a whole lot I wouldn't even consider buying from. Most simple lowering kits amount to springs. I would say dampers are a bare minimum additional necessity to that.

You're right that you need good parts, you just seem to be implying that I disagreed with that. To be perfectly clear, I did consider lowering my mustang in the context of the Griggs GR40 kit - which I would consider "good parts" - and I absolutely believe that would improve the handling of my mustang. I ultimately decided not to because it was money I didn't feel like spending and I still would have ended up with a less comfortable, largely unstreetable car, but I certainly have no issue with it.

At a glance, it looks like you've tried to go in that direction, and especially since you profess knowledge of the concept "you need good parts", nothing I said disagrees with what you've done.

That said: I've never gotten the impression (and this could be wrong, so don't take it personal) that Cage put nearly so much effort or thought into his suspension. I've put as much thought, but far less effort (read: money).

The results of all of that: Cage has a car that isn't faster than mine, and is at more risk of being damaged by potholes, road debris, speed bumps, etc. (But it "looks cool".)

You have a car that I have no doubt would corner faster on a track, but you're still at risk of damage from the above on the street, and you've put more effort (money) in. (This last is not a bad thing or a criticism, just a difference.)

I am absolutely positive my car is more comfortable than both of yours on the street, and I'm perfectly happy with the suspension performance. (It's not intended for track use, and it has never failed me on the street.) But a couple of guys on the internet don't think it looks cool.

Oh, I almost forgot: I can drive over speed bumps. At speed. Can you?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Christ, I can't even drive out of my garage without scraping the front, and that's on a stock suspension 2011, not to mention the fact I nearly got stuck in the snow the other day. I can't imagine lowering it.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I will give you that your car is undoubtedly more comfortable. That is beyond a shadow of a doubt. There is nothing comfortable about my car :)
I will also give you the fact, that if you lower the car for the sake of lowering it, could cause problems if your not going to do the whole thing correctly and skip steps.
I will admit that my car will get stuck on the track at the car wash and I will also admit the car may have trouble going over certain speed bumps.

You have got to admit, that making your car faster for the sake of performance, is a terrible idea, if you have stock suspension. trying to hit the brakes in a torque monster is just going to make your
car nose dive and going around corners is gonna make your car twist.

The latest few years of Corvette models are streetable and they are lower than my already low car. So ride height cool/performance/speed on the street is really not a valid argument.
What it comes down to the driver being a dumbass. here are the 3 situations.

1) You are showing off by driving like an idiot.
2) Some sort of speeding was involved to cause the problem. I am willing to bet 90% of issues are this point.
3) Sometimes poo poo happens to your car and it just breaks thru no fault of your own.

If you drive carefully and are obeying the speed limit almost all damage is avoided or at least minimized.

Also I would TOTALLY read Carol Smith's book but not for $100 on Amazon lol!!!!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Krakkles posted:

That said: I've never gotten the impression (and this could be wrong, so don't take it personal) that Cage put nearly so much effort or thought into his suspension. I've put as much thought, but far less effort (read: money).

The results of all of that: Cage has a car that isn't faster than mine, and is at more risk of being damaged by potholes, road debris, speed bumps, etc. (But it "looks cool".)
Ive done nothing to the suspension, it was done by a PO. Ive been driving my car on harsh pothole filled buffalo roads for almost 3 years now and I haven't had any suspension issues.

Im sure the PO didnt do it to be faster, he just wanted it to look like not a suv.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Does Carol Smiths book come with a license to be smug?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

You have got to admit, that making your car faster for the sake of performance, is a terrible idea, if you have stock suspension. trying to hit the brakes in a torque monster is just going to make your
car nose dive and going around corners is gonna make your car twist.
I think you're conflating "not lowered" with "stock". I agree with your points about braking and cornering in cars with stock suspension. My car, though not lowered, does not have stock suspension. It is not up to the level of the GR40 kit, but performs considerably better than stock.

quote:

The latest few years of Corvette models are streetable and they are lower than my already low car. So ride height cool/performance/speed on the street is really not a valid argument.
What it comes down to the driver being a dumbass. here are the 3 situations.

1) You are showing off by driving like an idiot.
2) Some sort of speeding was involved to cause the problem. I am willing to bet 90% of issues are this point.
3) Sometimes poo poo happens to your car and it just breaks thru no fault of your own.

If you drive carefully and are obeying the speed limit almost all damage is avoided or at least minimized.

Also I would TOTALLY read Carol Smith's book but not for $100 on Amazon lol!!!!
This all just lost me, I don't know where you went with this.

Keep an eye out for his books in used book stores, that's where I found Engineer to Win and Nuts & Bolts.

Cage posted:

Ive done nothing to the suspension, it was done by a PO. Ive been driving my car on harsh pothole filled buffalo roads for almost 3 years now and I haven't had any suspension issues.

Im sure the PO didnt do it to be faster, he just wanted it to look like not a suv.
So, you didn't put a lot of thought into your suspension, and don't think that it's pointedly engineered to be fast.

And you've been lucky in not having the outcome that originally started this conversation.

Buhbuhj posted:

Does Carol Smiths book come with a license to be smug?
No, but they're chock full of knowledge, which is far more useful when modifying your mustang. I hear that most eBay lowering kits come with those licenses, though. :rolleyes:

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 22, 2016

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Oh I dont know why we are using the word "fast" here. I didn't buy a new edge GT because its fast, it isn't so much.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

Oh I dont know why we are using the word "fast" here. I didn't buy a new edge GT because its fast, it isn't so much.
Mine is v :) v

edit: I mean, it wasn't when I bought it, obviously.

edit two: isn't that really why most of this is pointless? Like you said, it's your car, do what you want. I bought a mustang as a cheap platform to throw parts at and go fast. You guys bought it because you wanted something to throw parts at to look good.

I took issue with the thinking that look good parts make it fast, you took issue with me thinking that they don't or thinking that looking good isn't as important.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 22, 2016

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

I think a lot of people are confusing terms here with fast, low, performance, etc.......

having a lowered car in your case nets you performance in the terms of improved handling and lowering your center of gravity.
when you get go fast parts installed on the engine, they will help you maintain speed around corners.

if you just do engine upgrades and not suspension upgrades, you will always have to brake early and your car will bog down trying to
get its power to the road, when you start accelerating.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
nm

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 22, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cage posted:

2003 V6 that makes "300hp"

Man, I don't even buy that my 2013 V6 actually makes 300hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

kalvick posted:

I think a lot of people are confusing terms here with fast, low, performance, etc.......

having a lowered car in your case nets you performance in the terms of improved handling and lowering your center of gravity.
when you get go fast parts installed on the engine, they will help you maintain speed around corners.

if you just do engine upgrades and not suspension upgrades, you will always have to brake early and your car will bog down trying to
get its power to the road, when you start accelerating.

Yeah Cage was the only one that said it looked cool but suddenly everyone that "lowers" their car is just doing for that reason also. Unless you get coilovers it's pretty hard to find springs that keep your ride height stock.

edit: ps Cage I like your car

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 22, 2016