Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Night10194 posted:

Why would someone be so upset about this game? Did it kill his dog or something?

I'd bet it's a defense mechanism for all the people who spout on about how casuals are ruining the game market for them hard core gamers, but when they actually get a game that's hard and punishing, it's clear that they're not actually cut out for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MinibarMatchman posted:

the answer is "video games" but seriously it's a vocal minority that feel betrayed that they can't exploit the same poo poo as they could last year.
the thing is, even this don't make sense, since if you want the perfect game from feb 2015 you can get it through trivially easy json fuckery. the devs left it all uncompressed and ripe for modding, paradox-style.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I actually love this game. Loved it in early access, loving it in release. The only thing I would fix/change about the RNG is your starting party. If you make a new town and your healer doesn't have the right skills and the next 3 days of coach mates have no healing skills at all, you may as well reset the game. I even had it where my healer went crazy on the first outing, sent her for fixing, and then she disappeared and never came back. Meanwhile my coach was every non-healer in the game for days afterward. A bad start is a REALLY bad start and having those depend on RNG is a bad idea. The rest of the game is fine and awesome though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A game full of horrible abominations against nature, yet one of the formations I dread seeing the most is some rear end in a top hat bandits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

A game full of horrible abominations against nature, yet one of the formations I dread seeing the most is some rear end in a top hat bandits.

Man is the real monster.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

I actually love this game. Loved it in early access, loving it in release. The only thing I would fix/change about the RNG is your starting party. If you make a new town and your healer doesn't have the right skills and the next 3 days of coach mates have no healing skills at all, you may as well reset the game. I even had it where my healer went crazy on the first outing, sent her for fixing, and then she disappeared and never came back. Meanwhile my coach was every non-healer in the game for days afterward. A bad start is a REALLY bad start and having those depend on RNG is a bad idea. The rest of the game is fine and awesome though.

They did make it slightly better. The first mission in the Ruins is now a preset dungeon with softball enemy encounters, so you get a more or less guaranteed successful mission and an extra week's worth of recruits before you have to tackle "real" missions.

gigawhite posted:

Fuuuuck this is the mode I really want to be playing but I don't know if I'll really want to play through the game after beating it once. Anyone know if there's a flag in the .ini I can change so I can access NG+ off the bat?

I'd just edit it to give you way more experience and money so you can speed through the game the first time, then set things back to normal for the "real" run. Tackling NG+ without knowing what you're getting into seems like a recipe for a lot more time wasted than playing through it twice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Most of the time the RNG has been on my side. When I get hosed, it's my fault for getting too greedy and not retreating from the labyrinth soon enough.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Man I gotta stop forgetting to buy any shovels/torches. I remember everything else, but I occaisionally forget one of the two most important things (other than food, I usually have hella food).

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
im doing runs without torches and lemme tell ya its a hellva lot more fun to unfuck those

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Darkest Dungeon's RNG is no better or worse than any other RPG's RNG, it's just that the results are more important. If you had the sort of exponential stat gain most RPGs feature nobody would be complaining about it.

I respect the devs for recognizing that sometimes smaller numbers are better than bigger ones.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I love those giant loving crabs in the Cove. There's nothing quite like going "what is this 2 damage pinch attack", resisting the bleeds 2 times, then letting one through and realizing you have a 5 turn 8 damage bleed and the fucker's still alive and pinching away.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Had a run where I beat 2 shamblers AND the Collector. The Collector actually popped in 2 hallway squares after I beat the second shambler. Wish there was an achievement for something like this.

I'd like to think the Shambler keeps getting called and at this point he's like "Nope nope gently caress this RNG bullshit I'm out"

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 21, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nah, the Darkest Dungeon RNG is pretty severe, even in comparison to other offenders, like FTL.
For instance, I lost my first Occultist in the first battle in a cove mission due to him getting crit 3 times in a row, then immediately taking a deathblow from the bleeding damage. There was literally nothing I could do to stop that.

That's part of the fun, though. Dealing with the outcome of less than favorable scenarios.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Darkest Dungeon's RNG is no better or worse than any other RPG's RNG, it's just that the results are more important. If you had the sort of exponential stat gain most RPGs feature nobody would be complaining about it.

I respect the devs for recognizing that sometimes smaller numbers are better than bigger ones.

I think most people don't have any idea how proper randomness 'feels' compared to human intuition. This disjunction is why weather forecasters fudge their numbers, or why fire emblem/XCOM (on Easy/Normal anyway) had fudge factors built into their RNG. When a dev uses an honest RNG, people just can't handle it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Broken Cog posted:

Nah, the Darkest Dungeon RNG is pretty severe, even in comparison to other offenders, like FTL.
For instance, I lost my first Occultist in the first battle in a cove mission due to him getting crit 3 times in a row, then immediately taking a deathblow from the bleeding damage. There was literally nothing I could do to stop that.

That's part of the fun, though. Dealing with the outcome of less than favorable scenarios.
It's stuff like this that can piss you off, yes, but it's also what makes the game good because it makes successful runs feel MORE successful than normal and you're paying attention to each and every run as an important point in your dungeoning career. Few games can really get that feeling right.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Broken Cog posted:

FTL's RNG irritates me way more than Darkest Dungeon's, though I suppose that's part and parcel of how the games are designed. In Darkest Dungeon, even if everything goes belly up, you've still got a chance to make some net progress overall, whereas in FTL you pretty much have to start from scratch.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DaveKap posted:

It's stuff like this that can piss you off, yes, but it's also what makes the game good because it makes successful runs feel MORE successful than normal and you're paying attention to each and every run as an important point in your dungeoning career. Few games can really get that feeling right.

RNG swings both ways. I've sent parties that has ~70 stress in dungeons, only to have them steamroll so hard, get so many good curios they completed the dungeon with pretty much zero stress. I've had a Bounty Hunter chain crit bandit overseers and kill them in 2 hits. I've had runs where enemies never even got a shot off, and several times the 'kill all enemies in rooms' short mission had only 1 room encounter in the very first room allowing me to beat it in 3 minutes.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The thing about the whole 'this fucken' RNG' sentiment, is half the time it's coupled with a refusal to acknowledge you took a poo poo composition and your run should be abandoned. There are a lot of games out there that have coached people to just keep on pushing because success is inevitable, but that's not how a real strategy/tactics game should work. Retreat should be viable and at times necessary. Like the rage quitter, he decided to run a 3 man party against a boss depending on Vestal heals to keep him just off Death's Door, get outta here with the RNG complaint, your run was on the way out before you even jumped into the ring with the Necro.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panfilo posted:

RNG swings both ways. I've sent parties that has ~70 stress in dungeons, only to have them steamroll so hard, get so many good curios they completed the dungeon with pretty much zero stress. I've had a Bounty Hunter chain crit bandit overseers and kill them in 2 hits. I've had runs where enemies never even got a shot off, and several times the 'kill all enemies in rooms' short mission had only 1 room encounter in the very first room allowing me to beat it in 3 minutes.

Yeah, I was having a tough time on my first venture into the Weald when my Grave Robber pirouetted through like 3 attacks in a row, critted twice, got me the time to get my crusader off death's door, and then I discover 'Oh actually despite only being 4 rooms in you won.'

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ZypherIM posted:

Provisioning talk:
With secret rooms I think you should always hold onto 1 key if possible. The trick with long missions is that taking a ton more curio supplies isn't really useful, since between stuff like sacks of loot and fight rewards you're going to fill your inventory.

Something to keep in mind with torches is that if you have +torch abilities you don't need quite as many, and if you're going to the ruins you probably need some extra for the cultists -torch effects. Depending on your timing of camping you could save a few torches there as well. 16 is a pretty good target, often times I'll take 1-2 more (enough to give some lee-way while also few enough that the slot will be open for loot quick). If you're going to warrens don't skimp on torches, there is a good curio interaction there.

If the money isn't a huge deal, clear out the food (I think it is 3 stacks?) or at least take 2. The idea is that you'd like to be able to feast when you camp, which heals 25% hp and 10 stress but takes 8 food. If you're going to warrens/weald feel free to take less if you want to commit some herbs into the food interactions.

1 shovel per length is about the expected wall generation rate, 1 extra for the weald. If you're going to the cove shovels also open a bunch of stuff, so take extras and try to keep a few around for walls.

The rest of the supplies you should take based on where you're going. I wouldn't take more than 3 of a type, and those only the heavy-hitting interaction options. If you're going to the warrens or cove I'd take 1 inventory slot to stock up on their special curio item, because if you find a bunch of them that is way more effective money than an inventory slot could give.

Both those places spawn a curio with a "remove negative quirk" thing.
Warren - pile of scrolls (note scrolls NOT books) <-- apply a torch
Cove - eerie coral <-- apply medicinal herbs

Everywhere can spawn an eldritch altar, but its a low chance so not something to plan for
Everywhere - eldritch alter (tentacle altar) <-- holy water

Are you talking about long missions specifically? 16 torches and 3 stacks of food seems like overkill. I don't think I ever take more than 1 stack of each to short/medium missions.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The occultists heal is probably the place where RNG can really gently caress with you the most. It can crit for 40 when you've been barely scratched and then heal for 0 several times while you're bleeding out.

Still one of my favorite classes but I'd be lying if I said I never got angry at those 0 heals.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

- CRIT! (0)
- Bleed

[one turn later]
- bleed sound
- DEATHBLOW

Haven't had that one happen yet but oh I bet that one would be just enraging

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ciaphas posted:

- CRIT! (0)
- Bleed

[one turn later]
- bleed sound
- DEATHBLOW

lost an arbalest to that

i laughed and finished the dungeon anyway

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

- CRIT! (0)
- Bleed

[one turn later]
- bleed sound
- DEATHBLOW

plague doctors are an occultists best friend

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Megasabin posted:

Are you talking about long missions specifically? 16 torches and 3 stacks of food seems like overkill. I don't think I ever take more than 1 stack of each to short/medium missions.

Yes someone was specifically asking about long mission provisioning.

Rng in this game really only screws you hard if you refuse to accept that it has happened. Like you never lose someone to a heart attack from "RNG", and most deaths from damage are also not from "RNG". There is a lot of control you have, and sometimes the correct answer is bailing. Now in NG+ that may be different, bad coach sets and bad luck making you have to leave could be more costly there (though losing a week is less costly than losing any hero above level 1).

As of several patches ago occultists can't actually crit for 0. You can still get a 0 heal and a bleed though! If you're running an occultist and someone dies from a 0-heal and bleed this is a classic example of a bad party setup or poor in combat usage of a good party. (You should have something in place for a 100% heal to pull someone off death's door. Even throwing a plague doc heal will do it)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bad Seafood posted:

I think the RNG may be better than others only because if you are willing to accept that something is doomed or a bad situation you can just get out of there pretty reliably

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Ciaphas posted:

- CRIT! (0)
- Bleed

[one turn later]
- bleed sound
- DEATHBLOW

Lost a HM while fighting the second Flesh that way today. It suddenly became a rather stressful fight.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

I kinda tuned out of updates for some time while waiting for the game to leave early access, but wasn't there some change a while back about how damage bonuses and penalties work? Pretty sure that you can't just stack huge buffs on grapeshot anymore, but I don't remember why.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I forgot how fun this game is, even when it's absolutely kicking my rear end. I haven't played in a long time, like since before they added Houndmasers, Man-At-Arms, corpses, a bunch of stuff. Now that it's finally out of early access I figured I'd play it again. I've been playing it all day. The sound effects, and the art and the attack animations are so satisfying.

Also I appreciate it letting me turn off all this poo poo:

edit: Like drat, corpses are just tedious and that second one, holy cow why would anyone want that

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Broken Cog posted:

sure there was: stack speed

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

- CRIT! (0)
- Bleed

[one turn later]
- bleed sound
- DEATHBLOW

That was actually my first death way back when I started playing. The rest of the party followed soon after. And then I discovered the retreat option :negative:

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Macaluso posted:

edit: Like drat, corpses are just tedious and that second one, holy cow why would anyone want that

I get this but corpses are actually a cool and good mechanic that encourages you to do other things than just meatgrind the front row

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
corpses are really good for back row hitters

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Operant posted:

I get this but corpses are actually a cool and good mechanic that encourages you to do other things than just meatgrind the front row

Corpses encouraged me to turn corpses off actually

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Macaluso posted:

Corpses are more than just tedious. I mean they are an intentional mechanic that alters gameplay in significant ways, adding depth. Without them, you are basically just playing easy mode.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Without them, you are basically just playing easy mode.

Well yeah

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Megasabin posted:

Meanwhile, I only take 8 Food/8 Torches to Shorts, 12 both to Mediums. Yet I'm always taking at least three of everything JUST IN CASE.

I'm thinking of lowering it to two for mediums and one for shorts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Corpses can be used to your advantage as well so learning to play around them is pretty handy.

I wish your party left corpses too though :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Corpses are really good and I honestly feel like I'd be bored with combat without them. I honestly don't get why people dislike them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Corpses off actively makes some classes worse, and can remove options during a fight to make the fight easier. Like with a corpse I can push a claw cultist back to spot 3 leaving a corpse in slot 2, now he only has a weak 'stumbling scratch' attack to do on his next turn. Unless you're just trolling us completely, then well done.

It is the one option that adds significant depth to the game, the only reason you can turn it off is to shut up the people that wouldn't stop crying when they were introduced.