Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

stanislaus posted:

Are magic archers supposed to be poo poo at lower levels or am I bad? The six shot arrow and rain of arrow skills do almost literally no damage to big monsters, whereas my sorcerer pawn takes off 1-2 bars at once with the huge nukes. I also just got the explosive bolt skill, but mashing melee with daggers seems to be higher DPS than anything else. This is at level ~28 with equal attack/magic from leveling, still using the basic gear you buy from gran soren.

It's not so much that your magick bow damage is low as daggers do a ridiculous amount of damage because you get so many hits. Your magick archer specific dagger skills are actually really powerful (lighting yourself on fire is shockingly effective, the holy orb move does TONS of damage to a knocked down big enemy and Magick Rebalancer can be stacked four times to let your bow turn into an artillery piece)

The bow itself is honestly better as a support piece until you've got magick rebalancer to make the attacks super overkill: try opening a fight with a bunch of flaming rivets and then using your dagger charge to go pop them all or using the holy flashbang on a group of undead

e: or yeah, hunting arrow (or richochet shot in a dungeon/bbi) with a knockdown buff to keep a whole mob of enemies on the ground for the duration of the fight

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I didn't realise the offline and online Ur-Dragons were entirely different beasts. That's much more achievable.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Genocyber posted:

The weapons you get from it are still top-notch, pretty useful until you get the BBI weapons since few things resist Holy significantly, and they look really cool. Also unique armor pieces and Fashion's Dogma is the actual good game here folks.

I got Gen 18 quite easily with a non-min/maxed lv.70-ish Mystic Knight (did have to use Periaps).

I'm running a level 54 Assassin with level 1 BBI weapons so hopefully I'll do okay. Wanna get the sword and dagger and fashion. Especially the fashion.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Trapezium Dave posted:

I didn't realise the offline and online Ur-Dragons were entirely different beasts. That's much more achievable.

Yeah, the only thing you can only get from the online Ur-Dragon is the Abyssinal Set. Which, while cool looking, isn't a big deal.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm running a level 54 Assassin with level 1 BBI weapons so hopefully I'll do okay. Wanna get the sword and dagger and fashion. Especially the fashion.

You'll do fine with a BBI weapon. It's all about damage, so bring some conq periapts, and just stack them while you hack away at the hearts. Bring some blast arrows for the wings.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Can you fight the offline ur dragon without pulling your internet cable? Is there a toggle somewhere?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Can you fight the offline ur dragon without pulling your internet cable? Is there a toggle somewhere?

There is, it's in e options menu.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Sexual Aluminum posted:

yeah, just set offline mode in the options menu, even when playing. You can go hire goon pawns before that as well. Just remember to set it back to online before you dismiss. Might cause problems otherwise, like lost riftbux (nothing major)

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i like magick archer a lot but the choice between immolate or magick rebalancer with hundred kisses/instant reset equipped is really hard :(

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
About Enhancing:
Can I enhance for example my Broadsword to Level 1 and then later to level 2 and 3, or does enhancing it to level 1 lock me out of enhancing it further? DD Wiki doesn't say.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

i like magick archer a lot but the choice between immolate or magick rebalancer with hundred kisses/instant reset equipped is really hard :(

Let me help you: Choose the option that allows you to set yourself on fire.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

Downs Duck posted:

About Enhancing:
Can I enhance for example my Broadsword to Level 1 and then later to level 2 and 3, or does enhancing it to level 1 lock me out of enhancing it further? DD Wiki doesn't say.

You can enhance whenever you want. Go ahead and enhance to level 1 and then come back later once you got the materials for 2 or 3.

You can also jump right to level 3 (even if you missing the requirements for level 2).

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Downs Duck posted:

About Enhancing:

You can enhance upward in any interval. you can go straight to level 3 from 0. You can go to 1, then later to 3.

The only oddity is dragon forging, which requires killing dragons. The more upgraded something is, the higher the odds of dragon forging.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Found this pretty cool Mystic Knight vs. Daimon video I thought I'd share. Spoilers obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUVrfH-O8LY

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Kirenski posted:

After a bunch of testing settings and seeing alot of accessing server bars, I posted the weird pawn bug in the steam bug thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/367500/discussions/6/451850849183104417/#p26

Basically, my pawn isn't appearing in the friend list search for friends.
They can find him in the "Pawns my pawn may know list" if I have hired their pawn first.

I know this is effecting at least one more person but I don't know how widespread it is.
This was awhile back, but I noticed an opposite problem, where friends pawns aren't showing up in searches other than the friends list. I'm suspicious that the bunch of us that aren't getting any rentals from non-friends are victim to this - we're basically nonexistent to the population at large.

(second screenshot is from a smurf account via family sharing to not have account in question on friends list)

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

DontMindMe posted:

You can enhance whenever you want. Go ahead and enhance to level 1 and then come back later once you got the materials for 2 or 3.

You can also jump right to level 3 (even if you missing the requirements for level 2).

Kiggles posted:

You can enhance upward in any interval. you can go straight to level 3 from 0. You can go to 1, then later to 3.

The only oddity is dragon forging, which requires killing dragons. The more upgraded something is, the higher the odds of dragon forging.

Sweet. Thanks, guys.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

In general I desperately wish there was one more slot for dagger and sword abilities. I only ever feel like I have a single slot that I can play around with, while the other 2 are taken up by skills that I pretty much need no matter what.

Meanwhile I look over at the 3 skills on my fighter's shield and realize that I never use any of them. If only I could shove sword stuff on those hotkeys!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Bitterblack Isle is pretty fun guys

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

btw can we put this in the OP

of course this doesn't apply to late-gen ur-dragons but gently caress that noise

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 22, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
misclicked 2x and game taxed me 10k gold or 96 minutes.

Yaaaay?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

ShadowMar posted:

Counterpoint: Assassins get Harness abilities so why would you play anything else.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Mailer posted:

Counterpoint: Assassins get Harness abilities so why would you play anything else.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

of course this doesn't apply to late-gen ur-dragons but gently caress that noise

I don't entirely agree with the logic there. I do agree you should pay w/e vocation you want, but only the BBI weapons truly outshine basic strength/magic, and when you got those you've already done run 1 or maybe even run 2 of BBI which is the hardest content in the game. Not to mention min/maxing does allow one to killer tougher enemies earlier/without grinding, which is nice. I'll probably make some mention of this somewhere in the OP tho.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

What gifts do you guys tend to send pawns back with? I like duplicating Snakeskin Purses, since most people aren't gonna know how to get those for the quest and even if you do know how it's a pain in the dick. It costs like 16k gold per dupe, but money isn't a big deal especially with the free initial 300k you get from the monocle nowadays.

Once I get farther into the game I start to use Leaden Globes instead for a similar, higher level notice board quest. I don't think the majority of players are ever gonna find one, considering that the only way to get them is to mine a rare RNG ore from one specific hidden spot in the game and then craft it with another type of ore. As a bonus, duplicating these is quite cheap.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 22, 2016

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I always send pawns home with a Large Nut.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

ShadowMar posted:

I never quite got the hang of Instant Reset. I can see why it's good, but jumping and dodge rolling cancel a good deal of stuff and there are other skills with more obvious/active applications that make more than strong enough a case for my limited skill slots. Is there some less obvious utility I'm not seeing?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Turtlicious posted:

misclicked 2x and game taxed me 10k gold or 96 minutes.

Yaaaay?

10k gold is not a whole lot.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Genocyber posted:

I don't entirely agree with the logic there. I do agree you should pay w/e vocation you want, but only the BBI weapons truly outshine basic strength/magic, and when you got those you've already done run 1 or maybe even run 2 of BBI which is the hardest content in the game. Not to mention min/maxing does allow one to killer tougher enemies earlier/without grinding, which is nice. I'll probably make some mention of this somewhere in the OP tho.
Yeah, it doesn't seem that bad at paper, but once you reach the latter parts of BBI and first notice that you need to reach a damage threshold to even punch through the defenses of certain enemies, those extra points into strength sure feels useful (Not sure if it works the same for magic, haven't played much of the magic classes).

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
gently caress that woodland drake, shoulda really got to get some ice magic or something. Maxed out the ranger vocation a little after, next time I'm in the mood for drake hunting I'll just be doing Great gamble shots til I run out of fish.

Got a set of dragonforged leggings. Still worth it, was fun/intense fight, especially each time my warrior pawn managed to get mind controlled and I had to check if I had anything at all that'd knock him out of it before he reached me. I pulled cures out of my rear end 4 times, I'd dumped most of my non health/stamine curatives to save on weight a while back and forgot to restock before this. Thank god I wasn't more thorough.

Had two attempts, ran into some odd AI on the first one. Jumped onto a spot around his shoulder and was wailing on him with hundred kisses, and his response was to keep spamming the 360 degree spin which didn't hurt me or throw me off. Not very effective since I wasn't hiting his heart and my pawns couldnt't get near with the constant spinning. He eventually finally span and ran himself far enough away that his "fly back to base" AI kicked in and I had to get off Mr. Drake's wild ride. Couldn't replicate it the next time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem that bad at paper, but once you reach the latter parts of BBI and first notice that you need to reach a damage threshold to even punch through the defenses of certain enemies, those extra points into strength sure feels useful (Not sure if it works the same for magic, haven't played much of the magic classes).

Yeah, that graph is actively misleading for 99% of the game. If you have access to the literal best equipment in the game, sure, you can pretty much get away with being anything you want.

If you don't, or when you're leveling, missing 100 strength is loving huge when that's what you need to punch through the next tier of monster defenses and your best gear caps out at 400 strength or so. It makes leveling or using other classes to dragonforge their gear a pain in the dick too.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 22, 2016

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Opposing Farce posted:

I never quite got the hang of Instant Reset. I can see why it's good, but jumping and dodge rolling cancel a good deal of stuff and there are other skills with more obvious/active applications that make more than strong enough a case for my limited skill slots. Is there some less obvious utility I'm not seeing?

you can cancel knockdowns, hitstun, and unlatch from enemies instantly as well as cancel the pawn revive animation. plus a whole lot of other smaller uses

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ShadowMar posted:

you can cancel knockdowns, hitstun, and unlatch from enemies instantly as well as cancel the pawn revive animation. plus a whole lot of other smaller uses

You can also use instant reset and the roll with bows equipped.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Instant reset is good because you can skip the animation where you take out and put away lanterns.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Genocyber posted:

honestly, as long as you make it very clear that you should just play whatever you want your first time instead of worrying about stat growth thats ok by me

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
My pawn BasementLord will be kinda lovely for a few days until I get his gear and such up to speed. Wanted to try out the Strider with a Rusted Bow loadout and even though I barely have any stuff unlocked for him on Strider he is putting Torpor on absolutely everything which more or less trivializes a lot of encounters. Mitigator or Challenger to get the most out of it, what do you guys reckon? Thanks to the people who hired him and sent back food, he's not a big guy but that gut of his has room for a lot of chow.

Being a bit of a sperg with my Arisen build this second time around, gone 10 fighter/15 ranger/20 sorc so far. End goal is MA with a hefty amount of both physical and magick damage for some serious climbing while on fire. Learning I could manually aim by holding l-shift was a real gamechanger for playing sorc, poor saurians never know what's hitting them.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Zore posted:

Yeah, that graph is actively misleading for 99% of the game. If you have access to the literal best equipment in the game, sure, you can pretty much get away with being anything you want.

If you don't, or when you're leveling, missing 100 strength is loving huge when that's what you need to punch through the next tier of monster defenses and your best gear caps out at 400 strength or so. It makes leveling or using other classes to dragonforge their gear a pain in the dick too.

Periapts

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Do pawns learn how to use Instant Reset? I'm playing with the Arisen and Main Pawn having the same vocation and skills to see what the AI does, but it's hard to notice something like a pawn using Instant Reset in a battle.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I feel like the best way to deal with the whole stat growth thing is to just dedicate each character to either physical classes or magic classes. Swapping between fighter/warrior/assassin/ranger/strider regularly won't result in the absolute highest strength possible, but you'll still get plenty and it won't harm you like playing sorcerer for dozens of levels will. MK and MA have poo poo growths no matter what, but oh well. If you really want to play those vocations then do it.

Switching classes on a regular basis for specific augments is also a good idea, both for variety and for overall effectiveness. Even if you don't necessarily care about being as powerful as possible, having some augs just makes the game more convenient/fun.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Vargs posted:

What gifts do you guys tend to send pawns back with? I like duplicating Snakeskin Purses, since most people aren't gonna know how to get those for the quest and even if you do know how it's a pain in the dick. It costs like 16k gold per dupe, but money isn't a big deal especially with the free initial 300k you get from the monocle nowadays.

Once I get farther into the game I start to use Leaden Globes instead for a similar, higher level notice board quest. I don't think the majority of players are ever gonna find one, considering that the only way to get them is to mine a rare RNG ore from one specific hidden spot in the game and then craft it with another type of ore. As a bonus, duplicating these is quite cheap.

I cheated myself 500 Gold Idols and give one to every pawn I use. My dream is that I have saved someone somewhere from doing that awful quest.

Otherwise its a nice amount of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

are there any side quests i should do in NG+ or should i just beeline it to post-game, it's been a while since i did a NG+ run