Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I feel that I should get the TE OP series and make a cover of of Pocket Calculator.

I wont.

Because who makes actual songs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
This is my fave NAMM year in like at least five years, because I just caught the Arturia MatrixBrute http://audionewsroom.net/2016/01/arturia-matrixbrute-analog-synthesizer-modular-without-the-patching.html

e: Waldorf Kn37 with the FATAR TP9, oh poo poo at that too

e: KORG VOLCA FM OH MY poo poo

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 21, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MrLonghair posted:

This is my fave NAMM year in like at least five years, because I just caught the Arturia MatrixBrute http://audionewsroom.net/2016/01/arturia-matrixbrute-analog-synthesizer-modular-without-the-patching.html

e: Waldorf Kn37 with the FATAR TP9, oh poo poo at that too

Goddamn :stare:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Holy poo poo. And here I am trying to save pennies for a used polysynth. Can I just trade in my MiniBrute?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Fuckit deserves a new post

\o/

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

\o/

GET loving OWNED YAMAHA

:getin:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus I hope that it's actually programmable.

e: By that I mean how can it be diverse without a mass of menu diving? I guess they're using simple envelopes, for one.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

\o/

gently caress

W424
Oct 21, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

Those wooden sides look fake af, pass.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

W424 posted:

They probably are fake, but also I'm fairly sure that's a CG rendering.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
And again my breath is taken away. Anything else up your sleeve, MrLonghair?

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

holy heck :eyepop:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

W424 posted:

It's some woodgrain wrap, or they spent an mad lot of time and money on them.

So Math posted:

And again my breath is taken away. Anything else up your sleeve, MrLonghair?
Got a few Swedes on the field on another forum, gonna drop whatever drops my jaw next. (Matrixbrute expected $1800 btw)

e: AKAI coming with MPC Touch (kinda impressive, wanna try it), another MPC Studio that looks remarkably thin with an oversized knob, don't wanna bash those pads, and recordplayers BT100 and BT500 sticking to the modern technology trends ie premium as hell pricing. Thanks hipsters.
e: official MatrixBrute subsite https://www.arturia.com/matrixbrute/overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfLTlbGwXD0

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 21, 2016

breaks
May 12, 2001

... analog reverb? Did they put a spring in there or what? I guess they mean just a bbd delay that implements all the effects or whatever.

You guys think $2k street for this bad boy? More?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

breaks posted:

... analog reverb? Did they put a spring in there or what? I guess they mean just a bbd delay that implements all the effects or whatever.

You guys think $2k street for this bad boy? More?

For $2k you could get a Pro 2 or a Dominion 1(or a JD-XA) though, and Arturia has always had issues with quality control. Like if it was $1k - $1.2k I could see it selling, but not at the $1.8k that's been thrown around.

Speaking of Arturia... this looks way more interesting to me.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 21, 2016

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTbJpVlRI_o
edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFndmSO7OFo

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 21, 2016

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo #2

quote:

With FM-X the new MONTAGE relies on the most powerful FM engine of all time. This enhanced sound generation in tradition of synth legends of the 1980s still offers a unique dynamism, power, and fascination. With eight Operators, 88 Algorithms and seven Spectral Forms, MONTAGE offers tremendous power. For comparison: The legendary Yamaha DX7 of 1983 had six Operators, 32 Algorithms and simple sine waves. With Spectral Skirt and Spectral Resonance FM-X also allows the widening of the harmonic curve and the shifting of the harmonic peaks. Along with Filters, EQ, an additional Common LFO and the effect department - a new dimension of FM sound-design is created.

Yamaha listened!
edit: Conspicuously, no mention of FM-X polyphony.

NAMM 2016: They're in the trees!

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 21, 2016

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I rate NAMM 2016 as "Good poo poo".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

net work error posted:

I rate NAMM 2016 as "Good poo poo".

Yeah, I'm already calling my doctor because there's no way my erection goes down in the next 3 hours.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Montage comes 15 kilograms for the 61er, near 30 for the 88. Got the question of how programmable the Korg Volca FM sent out to my people, it'd be a miracle if it took dx7 sysex over midi.

e: "Can you touch the matrixbrute for me?"
"k"
:3:

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 21, 2016

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Can the sequencer in the Beatstep Pro hold notes? Like if I wanted to have a sequence that had notes of varying lengths, can it accommodate that?

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Short video of this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAz9oCDwim6/

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

sliderule posted:

Holy poo poo #2

Yamaha listened!
edit: Conspicuously, no mention of FM-X polyphony.

NAMM 2016: They're in the trees!

Dude, look at the base product description of the SY-77, remove mysterious jargon such as "skirting", add an extra pair of operators and you have exactly the same thing. 1989 was a loving long time ago, not only have synth manufacturers not really done much in terms of innovation since then, we're still getting excited about the rehashed stuff they put out.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

Dude, look at the base product description of the SY-77, remove mysterious jargon such as "skirting", add an extra pair of operators and you have exactly the same thing. 1989 was a loving long time ago, not only have synth manufacturers not really done much in terms of innovation since then, we're still getting excited about the rehashed stuff they put out.

Yeah when I said Yamaha listened, I meant that they listened when people (myself included) said "Just release an SY77/99/FS1R with modern specs" when the ReFace DX came out.

And yes, I would be super hyped if they straight-up rereleased the FS1R.

edit:

sliderule posted:

I don't see why they couldn't do 6-op, or even reproduce the SY-77 engine. Moore's law and all. Goddamnit Yamaha. Just rerelease the FS1R so I can get FM the gently caress out of my system.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 21, 2016

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
http://www.strymon.net/products/generalissimo/

:getin: :getin: :getin: :getin: :getin: :getin:

this is extremely relevant to my musical aesthetic

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Swagger Dagger posted:

I haven't but I got a newsletter from bitwig about it and now I'm drooling over it. It looks so drat cool.

Yeah that's what set me off too. I'd seen the Grand, but didn't know they had the 25 key version out. My Handsonic is just sitting here unused, so I'm thinking I might swap it out. However, Roli has no dealers here in Oz and shipping is $115 loving dollars sooooooooo...hmmm.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This brings up an interesting point though: if we are getting super excited for rehashed products, why is that?

A couple of factors spring to mind immediately: cost and reliability.

What would the dollar cost and true cost be for buying a classic Oberheim poly? Dollar-wise, I would think that the cost of classics would meet or exceed the cost of brand new hardware if it were in perfect condition. Then there's the feature cost: the OB-6 is arguably better-featured, the components have 0 run-time, and the capacitors aren't 30 years old.

What about the SY-77? You'd probably pay a small fraction of the price for the old hardware compared to the new, but you'd be stuck with its old-rear end 16-bit DACs, and I don't know the sample rate and internal bit depth of the SY-77, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that FM-X is improved, and the same goes for the digital filters. The advancements in the UI alone would be welcome to anyone not already familiar with SY-77 programming. (This completely ignores the fact that the MONTAGE is also much more capable than just FM-X. I know AWM2 LOL, but still.)

Same idea, new hardware: it's not a bad plan for a manufacturer compared to attempting to develop a novel architecture. Eurorack/boutique manufacturers already have that angle covered.

Basically: if the synth was worthwhile when it was first released, why can't the exact same synth be worthwhile now, especially if the original hardware has decayed? FM was passe for a while and now it's back in. Analog subtractive took a backseat momentarily , but it came back. There are new forms of synthesis, but they don't devalue the old forms.

Anyhow that's my defense of rehashing old products thanks for reading.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

proclick it's a collab between tom goddamn oberheim and dave smith

6 voice poly with oberheim sem filters

thank you based smith

sliderule posted:

I don't see why they couldn't do 6-op, or even reproduce the SY-77 engine. Moore's law and all. Goddamnit Yamaha. Just rerelease the FS1R so I can get FM the gently caress out of my system.

please be next fully polyphonic vp-1 for $999

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 21, 2016

breaks
May 12, 2001

The FM-X stuff sounds like the FS1R feature set to me, the skirt parameter was there on the FS1R for example. I guess it probably won't have the format sequencing stuff but I think that was pretty obscure and rarely used anyway.

A shame it's part of an expensive rear end workstation thing though.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
New Intellijel stuff too:

https://www.facebook.com/Intellijel/photos/a.282715905177742.69181.159216090861058/932523056863687/?type=3&theater

From the looks of it a case with dedicated bus stuff on top, speaker, compressor, and... dunno what the Rainmaker is.

e: From other sources the rainmaker is apparently a comb resonator/delay.

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 22, 2016

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

stillvisions posted:

New Intellijel stuff too:

https://www.facebook.com/Intellijel/photos/a.282715905177742.69181.159216090861058/932523056863687/?type=3&theater

From the looks of it a case with dedicated bus stuff on top, speaker, compressor, and... dunno what the Rainmaker is.

yesss, more 1U utilities.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

sliderule posted:

This brings up an interesting point though: if we are getting super excited for rehashed products, why is that?

The old rear end DACs sound better, like how 12 bit samplers sound better. Front panel programming the SY/TG-77 is as easy and straightforward as synth programming is ever going to get, the only thing new tech will improve on is the load time when your switch between pages or scale levels for the envelopes. You shouldn't need a filter for FM synthesis, it's on the sy-77 to provide extra plasticy charm.

What we need is a new synthesis type, like FM, subtractive, additive, wavetable, we haven't seen one in a really long time outside of, maybe, granular.

Dicksynth, what we need is dicksynth.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 21, 2016

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Sizone posted:

Dicksynth, what we need is dicksynth.

NAMM delivers:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/ob-6/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTbJpVlRI_o

:aaa:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

good jovi posted:

yesss, more 1U utilities.

They aren't compatible with other 1U rows. Notably the Pulp Logic lunchbox I got last week :(

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

MrLonghair posted:

Montage comes 15 kilograms for the 61er, near 30 for the 88. Got the question of how programmable the Korg Volca FM sent out to my people, it'd be a miracle if it took dx7 sysex over midi.

:10bux: says the korg will eat DX sysex but the SY100montage won't.

Mr. Glass posted:

http://www.strymon.net/products/generalissimo/

:getin: :getin: :getin: :getin: :getin: :getin:

this is extremely relevant to my musical aesthetic

All boners on deck :prepop:

Scatterfold posted:

NAMM delivers:

Meet me at the horsecock in the next horsecock for an asskicking horsecock

Tayter Swift posted:

They aren't compatible with other 1U rows. Notably the Pulp Logic lunchbox I got last week :(

That's lame :(
That's bizarre too, aren't the vermona wide tiles 1U compat?

This year is batshit and it's not even Friday.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Tayter Swift posted:

Have you seen some definitive info on that? I saw someone mentioned that in the MW eurorack NAMM thread, but it seemed a little hand-wavey.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

The old rear end DACs sound better, like how 12 bit samplers sound better.

While sample rate and bit depth aliasing have an interesting aesthetic on samples, I beg to differ regarding FM. I owned a DX7II, programmed my own phase modulation software, and now own FM8 and a ReFace DX, I can say that for every patch where the limitations of the old technology contributed positively, there are dozens of patches where the aliasing was detrimental.

It's not just the DACs, it's the math. FM is just a bunch of math. The lower the bit depth, the less accurate your results. In FM, this amounts to (among other things) phase drift between the operators, which introduces erroneous (often inharmonic) content. Try modulating by a high harmonic and playing a high note. Sure, this makes some patches sound great, especially sounds which already contain inharmonic content, but if your goal is harmonics, it's usually detrimental. (Yes, this makes the DX7 better-suited for industrial tones.)

quote:

Front panel programming the SY/TG-77 is as easy and straightforward as synth programming is ever going to get, the only thing new tech will improve on is the load time when your switch between pages or scale levels for the envelopes.

That vs. a touch screen is hardly even arguable for a consumer. Also, that rotary encoder is not going to last forever. The likelihood that all of that switchgear is going to work properly when you find one is somewhat low already. Another factor not yet mentioned is the floppy drive, although that can be replaced with a memory card reader rather easily.

quote:

You shouldn't need a filter for FM synthesis, it's on the sy-77 to provide extra plasticy charm.

I think that's a bit revisionist. I doubt the designers chose the nature of the filter for its character rather than technological limitations. And yes, you don't (and shouldn't) need one, but it's useful nonetheless.

I agree wholeheartedly that it sucks that this engine is stuck to a flagship workstation instead of a midrange performance synth.

quote:

What we need is a new synthesis type, like FM, subtractive, additive, wavetable, we haven't seen one in a really long time outside of, maybe, granular.

How long should they produce that synth for? And then how often do they need to invent novel forms of synthesis and release products based on those? Is there an infinite number of synthesis methods that they can draw from? Are all of these modes of synthesis as musically useful as each other?

I agree that new forms of synthesis are good as it expands the overall sonic palette, but surely maintaining this palette can't simply be expecting a limited number of historically produced machines to function forever. A day ago, an analog Oberheim polysynth was not a viable option for many people. Soon, it will be. Surely, that's good if we value whatever unique sonic palette that it offers.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

good jovi posted:

Have you seen some definitive info on that? I saw someone mentioned that in the MW eurorack NAMM thread, but it seemed a little hand-wavey.

Same post you saw. He elaborated a bit on it. Argh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012

sliderule posted:

While sample rate and bit depth aliasing have an interesting aesthetic on samples, I beg to differ regarding FM. I owned a DX7II, programmed my own phase modulation software, and now own FM8 and a ReFace DX, I can say that for every patch where the limitations of the old technology contributed positively, there are dozens of patches where the aliasing was detrimental.

Sorry if you've covered this before, but how do you like the Reface? I've developed a severe FM itch. I know it's only 4-op but some of the sounds I've heard from it are pretty impressive.