Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jorty
May 11, 2015

grump_dog.jpg
Lipstick Apathy

Bina posted:

Charlie Day is taking this photo, isn't he?

You just made me realise how much I want a buddy show with Charlie Day and a pet raccoon. Both of them are adorable in their own weird way and I feel like this would be a show I'd never stop watching. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Am I too late for the Trash Party?

:toot:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

You made it!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Look at his tiny ears!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw this guy the other night

He had a bobbed tail and a gimpy leg, was fat and healthy so he's doing okay.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Just bringing some more trash supplies to keep the trash party going!

Edit: I am so obsessed with the family of raccoons that hangs out behind my apartment building. There's 3 babies and a Momma, and they love the trash so much. My husband doesn't understand why I'm so enamored with the raccoons. It's because I'd never seen a raccoon in real life until I was 30, because I grew up in the city. I had seen several rats the size of cats, though...

Mouse Dresser has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Jan 21, 2016

jorty
May 11, 2015

grump_dog.jpg
Lipstick Apathy

Mouse Dresser posted:

Edit: I am so obsessed with the family of raccoons that hangs out behind my apartment building. There's 3 babies and a Momma, and they love the trash so much. My husband doesn't understand why I'm so enamored with the raccoons. It's because I'd never seen a raccoon in real life until I was 30, because I grew up in the city. I had seen several rats the size of cats, though...

D'aww :3: I wish I could meet raccoons irl because they're adorable but unfortunately they're not in NZ. I don't think so at least.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mouse Dresser posted:

Really? No Raccoons in the city? I've lived in the city my whole life and I've seen lots of raccoons.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I live in a rural Florida county, and there's a shitload of raccoons. Also a lot of 'possums, but they are less cute.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Are they considered pests? I have secret dreams of them being introduced into the UK.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Are they considered pests? I have secret dreams of them being introduced into the UK.

Yes. Pretty flexible omnivores, intelligent, and probably no predators in the UK to keep the numbers down. Germany has a shitload now.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

You. Monster.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

twistedmentat posted:

Really? No Raccoons in the city? I've lived in the city my whole life and I've seen lots of raccoons.

I grew up in Calgary and never saw one. Apparently they have them now, but I was around 23 before I got to see a raccoon. :3: It was my first night here and there was a baby in a tree.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

I didn't know stores could sell literal disease bombs

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Oh there are raccoons in New York, I had just never spotted one. (Possibly did when I was a kid, but I couldn't recall ever seeing one until I moved to the Pacific North West.)

http://i.imgur.com/VC8rBMI.gifv

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I didn't know stores could sell literal disease bombs

It's China. You can sell anything (except material criticizing the government.)

Edit: oops that's actually Vietnam! Same principles apply.

Darkman Fanpage has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Jan 21, 2016

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It's China. You can sell anything (except material criticizing the government.)

Edit: oops that's actually Vietnam! Same principles apply.

I wasn't sure, due to the 4.99/lb and the American flag. Thought it might just have been an Asian food store.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

cash crab posted:

I grew up in Calgary and never saw one. Apparently they have them now, but I was around 23 before I got to see a raccoon. :3: It was my first night here and there was a baby in a tree.

Awe, no wonder they became your spirit animal.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I wasn't sure, due to the 4.99/lb and the American flag. Thought it might just have been an Asian food store.

It's probably imported from the US. I know they're protected here, but I can believe in the US they are not.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

Awe, no wonder they became your spirit animal.

It's probably imported from the US. I know they're protected here, but I can believe in the US they are not.

No need for protection, plenty of raccoons and not many predators other than cars.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

cash crab posted:

You made it!

Dat coon high af right now

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What do raccoons smell like

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

goose fleet posted:

I didn't notice a smell when i'd go out to hang with my raccoon bros. I also didn't stick my face right up to them though because my face parts work just fine where they are.

But from the 2 or 3 feet away from my nose they were, i'd say they aren't stanky like you'd expect, considering where they hold their social gatherings.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

goose fleet posted:

Deer

(because of hugging)

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

cash crab posted:

Deer

(because of hugging)

He's not hugging that deer. He's trying to pull it into the pond for a bath. It must be washed!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Bored posted:

He's not hugging that deer. He's trying to pull it into the pond for a bath. It must be washed!

:kimchi: Now I am thinking of that video where a raccoon is washing a phone.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

bleughmacaroni posted:

D'aww :3: I wish I could meet raccoons irl because they're adorable but unfortunately they're not in NZ. I don't think so at least.

Some of them are pretty mean.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

whiteyfats posted:

No need for protection, plenty of raccoons and not many predators other than cars.

Protection from being killed. It is illegal to kill raccoon in Toronto, unless it is rabid or otherwise ill.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9gwr5yBVKY

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

So are raccoons something that's found all over the world naturall, or are they from one place and eventually we spread then all over the place?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Pretty certain they were originally North American but have been introduced (whether accidentally or intentionally) into a lot of other areas and are just really adaptable.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Yeah I seem to recall reading somewhere (or maybe just making a wild leaping assumption from other research) that the original name was a Nahuatl (Aztec) word, later adopted to Spanish: Mapache.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Interesting thing that I just looked up, the 'washing' thing is an adorable myth. Most of their sensory information comes from their hands due to them having double the sensory nerves as their feet. They often use their hands to 'see' in the dark, and they happen to do a lot of foraging in water. When they are 'rolling' food or items in basins of water they are basically feeling the food to get a better mental understanding of, not only what it is, but how to get it in their mouths more easily. They really don't care how clean it is.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

BioEnchanted posted:

Interesting thing that I just looked up, the 'washing' thing is an adorable myth. Most of their sensory information comes from their hands due to them having double the sensory nerves as their feet. They often use their hands to 'see' in the dark, and they happen to do a lot of foraging in water. When they are 'rolling' food or items in basins of water they are basically feeling the food to get a better mental understanding of, not only what it is, but how to get it in their mouths more easily. They really don't care how clean it is.

Raccoon Autism?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

When I was a kid we lived right next to a preserve and we would often have raccoons and opossums in our yard. There was a really skinny raccoon that would come by sometimes so we started leaving treats for it. Eventually it started coming to the sliding door and waiting for someone to give it something.

After a while we were able to get it to come into the house to eat and it was a lot of fun to watch but it was never comfortable enough to let us pet it or get too close. Well that's my raccoon story.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Hello we are sleepy babies, and we are hungry. Do you have any trash?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Mouse Dresser posted:

Hello we are sleepy babies, and we are hungry. Do you have any trash?

No, but I have a place to crash

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

HELLO IS IT GARBAGE DAY CAN WE JUST TAKE A QUICK PEAK INSIDE OF THE GARBAGE FOR MAYBE SOME PIZZA CRUSTS OR AN APPLE CORE OR SOMETHING EQUALLY ADORABLE? PLEASE? WE LOVES THE GARBAGE, WE WASH IT AND EATS IT.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Those feet. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

A cute tanuki lounging in front of a space heater.