Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Now all this game needs is an adjustable XP gain slider and it's set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

amuayse posted:

Now all this game needs is an adjustable XP gain slider and it's set.

maybe a cash multiplier or something. can't say xp has ever been a particularly serious limiting factor, for me at least.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Afraid of Audio posted:

corpses are really good for back row hitters

this. My occultists and PDs love corpses, and it's nice for my Man At Arms to be able to knock front row hitters behind some corpses where they're useless.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just thought it was cool the devs made several things like that optional, I didn't realize corpses were such a touchy subject

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
RIP Reynaud. killed by the Darkest Dungeon and its loving mental bleed stacks. resquiescat in piss

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah, corpses and push skills let my Pick To The Face-less (oops) Grave Robber continue to completely own loving everything in the Weald(?) yesterday on the way to the Brigand Pounder

She also consistently and unerringly murdered the matchman on said pounder in one go every turn

What I'm saying is I'm coming around to Grave Robbers in a big way for spot 3, though I've never experimented with any of her movement abilities

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Macaluso posted:

I just thought it was cool the devs made several things like that optional, I didn't realize corpses were such a touchy subject

People love their corpses to the point of it being a little creepy. Don't worry, I just assume they all have the quirk.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you use the graverobber, every fight should start with her lunging forward from position 3/4. Lunge is crazy good, even more so if you pair her up with other heroes with move abilities so she can lunge even more.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Internet Kraken posted:

If you use the graverobber, every fight should start with her lunging forward from position 3/4. Lunge is crazy good, even more so if you pair her up with other heroes with move abilities so she can lunge even more.

I just used Throwing and Flashing Daggers (and the odd Plague Darts) the whole run and she cleaned up house real good

Honestly I'm not too up on movement-friendly (or even movement-focused parties, it's one of those things I should correct I suppose. Closest thing I've come to it is, if I have a Highwayman, planting him in 1 between fights to open with a point blank

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
WHAT IS THIS THING

WHAT HAVE I DONE

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
GR w/ lunge & shadowfade + MaA w/ rampart & buffbot skill + HM w/duelists advance & PBS is a good setup for a shuffle-squad. throw a vestal in rank 4 and youre in business.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Speedball posted:

Most of the time the RNG has been on my side. When I get hosed, it's my fault for getting too greedy and not retreating from the labyrinth soon enough.
People also just gotta realize you can retreat literally at any point. I've aborted so many runs cause a camped ambush gone wrong in the beginning of the game.

Ciaphas posted:

I just used Throwing and Flashing Daggers (and the odd Plague Darts) the whole run and she cleaned up house real good

Honestly I'm not too up on movement-friendly (or even movement-focused parties, it's one of those things I should correct I suppose. Closest thing I've come to it is, if I have a Highwayman, planting him in 1 between fights to open with a point blank
I usually have three mainstay skills and then 1 you can use if they get flipped. I think a lot of people usually slot some utility poo poo in their 4th slot but gently caress that IMO

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

dogstile posted:

People love their corpses to the point of it being a little creepy. Don't worry, I just assume they all have the quirk.

the bones of my enemies will line my walls and carpet my floors

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Macaluso posted:

WHAT IS THIS THING

WHAT HAVE I DONE

the game warned you, dog

the game told you about the void

now youre falling down all these tentacles

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Also goddamn needing 16+ fully kitted out people is going to take a long rear end time.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

paranoid randroid posted:

maybe a cash multiplier or something. can't say xp has ever been a particularly serious limiting factor, for me at least.

Sounds like you need to invest in a ...darker dungeon.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

Sounds like you need to invest in a ...darker dungeon.

i personally dont mind being cash strapped, if only because it makes me have to think about which diseases/quirks im going to remove, and whether a hero is going to get upgraded or put on the next coach out of town.

e. seriously, whatever town is at the other end of the road through the weald has an entire new demographic of mentally disturbed former adventurers now, thanks to my style of personnel management.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Macaluso posted:

WHAT IS THIS THING

WHAT HAVE I DONE
The first time I did this I literally thought to myself "What's the worst that could happen."

Do not let me near your tomes of eldritch lore.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm also thinking you should invest in Shadow Trickery, so you can get into that sweet spot the GR uses. Like, start her in Position 4, Lunge, Shadow Trickery, then Picks and Flashing Daggers to death.

Macaluso posted:

WHAT IS THIS THING

WHAT HAVE I DONE

Darkest Dungeon: You Should Burn The Red Void Orb Altar Thingy

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

paranoid randroid posted:

e. seriously, whatever town is at the other end of the road through the weald has an entire new demographic of mentally disturbed former adventurers now, thanks to my style of personnel management.

You think they actually make it back to civilization safely? I'd bet its more likely they all just die in the forest.

Bad Seafood posted:

The first time I did this I literally thought to myself "What's the worst that could happen."

-the ancestor, prior to causing this whole mess

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Macaluso posted:

WHAT IS THIS THING

WHAT HAVE I DONE

lol I love how this was predicated right after you turned off things for an easier time.
welcome to the jungle, he's a real fucker. I wiped half a team thinking "what could go wrong!?"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lunge is good, but it's generally not worth leaving your GR in slot 2 and in most situations it's definitely not worth spending a turn Shadow Fading to reset. The GR's damage is fantastic for slot 4 but not impressive compared to the classes that hang out in slot 2. Flashing Daggers is about as strong as Lunge and she can hang out and spam it forever... plus she still has Lunge for emergency burst damage when she really needs it.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
graverobber slot 4, crusader slot 2, open things up with a lunge/holy lance combo

get hosed slot 3 enemy

(if you have MaA in slot 1 and the right speed setup you can keep lunging over and over)

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 22, 2016

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Can we talk about how god drat pimp the Plague Doctor is? Because seriously, stacking to 15 blight a turn on some of those bosses is ridiiiiculous

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
It's been a long while, Is Man at Arms still a loving beast? Or did they nerf him?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Macaluso posted:

WHAT IS THIS THING

WHAT HAVE I DONE

Yeah, I just lost an entire party to him, including Reynauld. Mouse over the buff that the tentacles get for fun times. And remember, it stacks!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

It's been a long while, Is Man at Arms still a loving beast? Or did they nerf him?

he still does decent damage but they did nerf riposte damage quite a bit. he's still a tremendous beefsteak of tankiness and has a shitload of buffs, and Rampart got a bit better.

Operant posted:

Can we talk about how god drat pimp the Plague Doctor is? Because seriously, stacking to 15 blight a turn on some of those bosses is ridiiiiculous

I always forget how much poison her blight skills pump, and find myself mousing over enemies and thinking "wow, 10 loving points a round?" To any bosses that aren't resistant to blight, she's borderline integral for keeping you in the fight.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fargin Icehole posted:

They nerfed the riposte cheese into the ground but he still has one of the best stuns in the game and one of the best camp skills. He's still Great.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Operant posted:

Plague doctor is pretty great as long as you're fighting high-HP enemies and aren't in the warrens or weald. She's especially good for high-level Cove, where clearing off 30 damage Arterial Pinch bleeds is without a doubt the most powerful heal skill in the game. On the other hand if she is fighting enemies with good Blight resist she is pretty bad. Overall, one of the most strongly region-dependent characters.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not gonna lie, Arterial Pinch is my most feared non-boss attack in the game, besides if I get extremely unlucky with a constantly replicating Slime brigade.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Plague doc trinkets are amazing. You can get +60 or 70 to stun or blight. If you want to blight in warrens/weald then you just slap some of those in there and you'll still get it off. The stun increase is enough that you can pretty reliably stun poo poo 2 rounds in a row.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I smiled a bit when the Hag chose my Jester for the pot, I might be a bad person.

Did they increase the price for Blacksmith upgrades? I have a big pile of level 5 dudes that are going to be in a world of hurt when they go into Champion dungeons. I had thought that when I did this in EA days I had somewhat better upgrades, so that switching Veteran->Champion was less rocky than Apprentice->Veteran. (Also, they might have buffed Champion dungeons in the interim maybe?) 42/58 fricken deeds seems like a tall order for level 4/5 upgrades especially since I need to buy it TWICE. I have hardly done any adventuring outside of the Weald and Warrens, and haven't even set foot in the Cove, since I'm swimming in crests. (also, it's really tough to keep up with both blacksmith and stagecoach upgrades).

I guess I'm going to just throw good but not-quite-fully-upgraded lvl 5 dudes into some Champion dungeons to see what happens. I have such a large roster of skilled heroes that rotating them naturally cures a bunch of stress just by sitting around, but I have fewer and fewer willing to do lower-level dungeons.

Glidergun posted:

Plague doctor is pretty great as long as you're fighting high-HP enemies and aren't in the warrens or weald. She's especially good for high-level Cove, where clearing off 30 damage Arterial Pinch bleeds is without a doubt the most powerful heal skill in the game. On the other hand if she is fighting enemies with good Blight resist she is pretty bad. Overall, one of the most strongly region-dependent characters.

I actually rarely rely on the Blight skills (although I'm doing almost entirely Weald/Warrens runs now) and have had pretty good success adding +stun trinkets and using her as a stungun (with occasional incisions). You need to have the rest of your party take care of dps etc but both her stuns are great.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 22, 2016

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I do wish they had improved the Leper instead of nerfing the other frontliners to make him look better.

Hellion is the best frontliner imo, unless you're in the Ruins, in which case it's the Crusader.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

FreeKillB posted:

Did they increase the price for Blacksmith upgrades? I have a big pile of level 5 dudes that are going to be in a world of hurt when they go into Champion dungeons. I had thought that when I did this in EA days I had somewhat better upgrades, so that switching Veteran->Champion was less rocky than Apprentice->Veteran. (Also, they might have buffed Champion dungeons in the interim maybe?) 42/58 fricken deeds seems like a tall order for level 4/5 upgrades especially since I need to buy it TWICE. I have hardly done any adventuring outside of the Weald and Warrens, and haven't even set foot in the Cove, since I'm swimming in crests. (also, it's really tough to keep up with both blacksmith and stagecoach upgrades).

Sort of - they increased the cost for high-level upgrades, but decreased the cost for low-level upgrades. If you're picking up an old save you're getting the worst of both worlds.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Do old saves from loong looong ago still work ok?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Glidergun posted:

Sort of - they increased the cost for high-level upgrades, but decreased the cost for low-level upgrades. If you're picking up an old save you're getting the worst of both worlds.

This sort of thing is why I wiped my EA save and started fresh on Tuesday.
edit: actually wait, in this case it wouldn't have mattered since I think my town was close to fully-upgraded, and in particular I know that the guildhouse and blacksmith were. ah well

I still haven't used a Leper or Man-at-Arms ever, and my current save has no Hellions. I think I'm just going to fish for them even if I'm not using them immediately because every time it looks like a good time for an Apprentice dungeon run, my stagecoach is full of more Crusaders, Highwaymen, and Plague Doctors. Those are great classes and all, but I already have two of each! I don't want to start doing degenerate party comps and would rather have flexibility (someone on the steam forums complained that the DD was too easy with 4 aboms, hmmm).

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 22, 2016

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Grinding for deeds is making me not want to play this anymore.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Artificer posted:

Do old saves from loong looong ago still work ok?
Some say yes but mine didn't.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

RIP bounty hunter whose name I forgot. Died of being marked to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

Grinding for deeds is making me not want to play this anymore.

My calculations say that I'm only 158 deeds away from having full unlocks on the blacksmith, not counting the 'making it cheaper' upgrades or having a pimped-out stagecoach :suicide:.