Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

LumberingTroll posted:

Except you are totally wrong. A bug dealing with switching weapons would have almost nothing to do with putting things in ram over whats in vram, it is very clear you have almost no clue what you are talking about, and I haven't back pedaled at all, I stand by why at I have said. This is also a pointless derail that you seem to want to continue, so good luck with that.
"i stand by my position by which i am liable to change what it means" glad to know that's your actual position, thank you

also the derail wouldn't have kept going if you weren't actively provoking people, but here we are!

it's not like people have dumped the ram or anything and found that's what the problem was...

if you use putin fan #1's tool to increase the framebuffer size (which you can't do in the ini settings) the problem largely goes away by virtue of it not being culled so there's that. it seems to store things improperly if you use the number keys and the engine brainfarts if you use them.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am a Mod.

Here to request that you stop taking potshots at each other over this weapon bug and talk about mods.

Not mods like me. Mods like the mods you get for fallout4 please.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Cirosan posted:

Getting some reports of the latest Beta patch breaking Full Dialogue Interface and causing "Lookup Failed" errors for text, but I've been unable to replicate the issue myself after opting into the Beta and installing FDI again. Any of you guys experiencing problems with FDI and the latest Beta patch?
Not seeing any issues with 1.3.47 and FDI 8.1 in English.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I want to come in and bring ya'll good news, but there is just so much dreck in homemaker. Making it modular is just not happening for a while,
I was trying to take out all the meaningless stuff, cars and stuff, and have modules like vault, institute, bos, gardening, stores. I think I am just processing stuff wrong.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

staberind posted:

I want to come in and bring ya'll good news, but there is just so much dreck in homemaker. Making it modular is just not happening for a while,
I was trying to take out all the meaningless stuff, cars and stuff, and have modules like vault, institute, bos, gardening, stores. I think I am just processing stuff wrong.
finding out how weapon mechanics work when we're given a mess of floats that correspond to nothing (early days of skyrim modding were also like this) is pretty bad and keeping me from doing anything working on the rebalance module

a lot of things are going to be opaque until the Fallout 4 Creation Kit comes out, don't sweat it until then

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

So, I've been toying with the idea of replacing the hacking mini-game through a mod. It's such a chore to find all the dud removals on every new attempt, and then applying logic to find the correct word through a primitive hot-and-cold. I'd rather have it hang-man style, or even a mini-sudoku. The thing is... could this be possible to do via a mod? If so, how would you guys recommend I start? Any decent tutorials on modding?

Also, any ideas for hacking mini-games? Maybe it could be a random mini-game each time you try to hack a terminal.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?
Is there a way with Nexus Mod Manager to download updates to mods automatically? Or, at least, to automatically enable the new and disable the old? I could just be missing something glaringly obvious....

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Also, any ideas for hacking mini-games? Maybe it could be a random mini-game each time you try to hack a terminal.

How about replacing it with a random Robco Fun game?

(or is that what you meant?)

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

gasman posted:

How about replacing it with a random Robco Fun game?

(or is that what you meant?)

How would that be an improvement?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

cheezit posted:

Is there a way with Nexus Mod Manager to download updates to mods automatically? Or, at least, to automatically enable the new and disable the old? I could just be missing something glaringly obvious....

No, and it is a horrendous idea. It will tell you when a mod is out of date, but auto updating would almost assuredly destroy your save, especially as we're still pre-construction kit.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Magmarashi posted:

How would that be an improvement?

It would be a new and exciting chore. :colbert:

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

Coughing Hobo posted:

No, and it is a horrendous idea. It will tell you when a mod is out of date, but auto updating would almost assuredly destroy your save, especially as we're still pre-construction kit.

Really? Hmm. I'm still trying to learn the mod game a bit, but I haven't run into any issues with manual updates. Would that just be in the case of specific mods, or is it kind of just how it is until the kit is released?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Paranoid Peanut posted:

So, I've been toying with the idea of replacing the hacking mini-game through a mod. It's such a chore to find all the dud removals on every new attempt, and then applying logic to find the correct word through a primitive hot-and-cold. I'd rather have it hang-man style, or even a mini-sudoku. The thing is... could this be possible to do via a mod? If so, how would you guys recommend I start? Any decent tutorials on modding?

Pretty sure there was no mod for any Bethesda game that could meaningfully change the minigames, other than completely bypassing them.

What I'm curious about is how the new Pipboy works, since you can apparently use terminal things on the pipboy as well, not to mention the video games. I wonder how editable that part will be.

Bholder fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 21, 2016

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

cheezit posted:

Really? Hmm. I'm still trying to learn the mod game a bit, but I haven't run into any issues with manual updates. Would that just be in the case of specific mods, or is it kind of just how it is until the kit is released?

Its sort of unwise, considering some mods rely on certain things in other mods & sometimes need to be installed in a certain order. its a lot better do do somethings manually, plus, the servers would go flump if a bunch of larger mods all updated at once.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

staberind posted:

Its sort of unwise, considering some mods rely on certain things in other mods & sometimes need to be installed in a certain order. its a lot better do do somethings manually, plus, the servers would go flump if a bunch of larger mods all updated at once.

That's a good point. FO4 seems more stable with load order than NV or FO3, tend to forget about it now...

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Got a surprise for you fine folks! As of a few minutes ago, I've released a mod that adds Traits and New Perks into Fallout 4! The old classics from previous Fallout titles return (Gifted, Good Natured, Fast Metabolism, etc.) along with a whole host of original creations. Original in that they may or may not have appeared in my CCO mod for New Vegas, that is.

Shamelessly copying from the readme:
Because the standard perk menu (the Vault Boy chart) precludes adding new perks/traits directly, these new perks and traits are obtained by constructing a special item at a Chemistry Station (under the Utility section), then using it on your character to add the perk. Also included are items that remove all perks and remove all traits, so if you want to re-spec your character build or want to uninstall the mod, it's only a few clicks away.

If there's interest, I can do a brief write-up describing how to add Perks (and by extension Traits) into the game using FO4Edit. Be warned that it involves a great deal of mind-numbing tedium, as there are many hoops to jump through given the lack of direct support for new Perks.

Anyways, hope you guys get some enjoyment out of it. The reintroduction of Traits in particular should do a great deal to help differentiate character builds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8680/

Someone finally fixed the holes in The Castle.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Cirosan posted:

Got a surprise for you fine folks! As of a few minutes ago, I've released a mod that adds Traits and New Perks into Fallout 4! The old classics from previous Fallout titles return (Gifted, Good Natured, Fast Metabolism, etc.) along with a whole host of original creations. Original in that they may or may not have appeared in my CCO mod for New Vegas, that is.

Because the standard perk menu (the Vault Boy chart) precludes adding new perks/traits directly, these new perks and traits are obtained by constructing a special item at a Chemistry Station (under the Utility section), then using it on your character to add the perk. Also included are items that remove all perks and remove all traits, so if you want to re-spec your character build or want to uninstall the mod, it's only a few clicks away.

If there's interest, I can do a brief write-up describing how to add Perks (and by extension Traits) into the game using FO4Edit. Be warned that it involves a great deal of mind-numbing tedium, as there are many hoops to jump through given the lack of direct support for new Perks.

Anyways, hope you guys get some enjoyment out of it. The reintroduction of Traits in particular should do a great deal to help differentiate character builds.

You're a good man/ma'am Cirosan.

I definitely was wondering what form the inevitable perk addition mods would take, since the vanilla perks have so much art attached to them and such a bespoke menu to pick them from. Glad you found a way to do your thing pre-GECK.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When the GECK is out, most likely someone will make a perk menu mod designed to be extensible with other mods that add perks, so it will accommodate more than the standard 10 perks per SPECIAL stat and possibly other features like a perk requiring more than one SPECIAL to get. If nothing else, it could be done by dropping the fancy interface and just throwing the perks in a big list like previous games. For right now it's great to see that new perks are already possible. I might try that trait for more agility but weaker limbs.

Incidentally I find this comment funny

quote:

This is pretty cool. If you don't mind suggestions, how about making traits that very drastically alter things? Something like making headshots do 50% more damage, but if you hit any other part of the body the damage is only a quarter of what it should be? Just as an example, I don't know how good that specifically is. It'd be cool to have traits that give us different playstyles to experiment with
considering there's things like a trait with the downside that you take double damage. If anything, most of the traits would actually be too game-changing for me.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I'm just mad they removed weapon sheathing on your back

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know why everyone freaks out about those things, you can easily fill those holes with the wood-stilt platform floors and raider fences and it looks a billion times cooler.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

This mod works well, but if you use it make sure to remove your own fill in walls entirely, in one big piece. I had one block hidden inside rubble that I could not see which caused this wall fix not to snap in. Did not fix it, until I gave up on the mod, and tried to fill in again, and realized something was still inside the wall.

Also, for some reason his update file with the ini change did not work at all, as in the fix walls were not in the menu. The old method with the 3 files you apply worked better for me(install main file then flat floor fix, open game and place walls, then install last fix which removes the walls from menu, but keeps them installed)

Also DDProductions is some kind of mad scientist with all these mods. I've improved my settlement looks so much just from his columns and supports.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I don't know why everyone freaks out about those things, you can easily fill those holes with the wood-stilt platform floors and raider fences and it looks a billion times cooler.
But 680 concrete with nowhere to go :ohdear:

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
Finally, the first must have mod since the full dialogue one:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8814/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gasman posted:

Somebody better chipmunk his voice to match.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Cirosan posted:

If you don't add Wild Wasteland once the GECK comes out I will be very sad. That was one of my favorite parts of NV.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Cirosan posted:

Got a surprise for you fine folks! As of a few minutes ago, I've released a mod that adds Traits and New Perks into Fallout 4!

Rad, I'll try it out. I really hate that dumb poster, and all the more since it makes it harder to add perks through conventional means. e: Any chance for Logan's Loophole? I always ran with that one in NV because I like the feeling of having a "complete" character at some point instead of endlessly accruing skills and levels, and because getting addicted is inconvenient.

-----

I uploaded my third mod today, it adds six newsboy hats in leather and plaid variations and six new (dog-compatible) bandana masks.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8836/

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 23, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just found this mod, seems like a good option for energy weapon sounds since towbie's sound mod is currently just some conventional guns (although the sound effects are incredibly good and I want that mod to eventually expand to every weapon).

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4306/

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cirosan posted:

I'd be interested in the write up, but I have the attention span of a gnat flying towards a candle.
Downloaded and will endorse asap.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm having problems with armorsmith extended not actually letting me use pieces of armor with outfits that normally don't work with armor. I think part of the problem is related to the invisible armor mod, but it's weird and incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes equipping pieces of armor will force my clothes off but then if I put them back on the armor will stick. Other times they really are completely exclusive. Sometimes making a piece invisible makes it compatible with clothes, other times nothing happens. Sometimes putting the "hidden" mod on a piece of armor doesn't actually make it invisible. I have no idea what's wrong, and when I updated invisible armor to the latest version, the game crashes if I open an armor workbench with a piece of armor that was previously invisible in my inventory.

Anyone know if the problem is armorsmith or invisible armor, and if it's the latter, if this mod works any better?

e: Turns out "better item sorting" of all the things makes armorsmith break so you can't consistently use armor pieces on outfits. Switched to valdacil's item sorting and that fixed it. I guess this is the kind of thing that happens with too much feature creep

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 23, 2016

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Lots of responses, so I'll just address individual points in one big ol' post.

Digirat posted:

Incidentally I find this comment funny

considering there's things like a trait with the downside that you take double damage. If anything, most of the traits would actually be too game-changing for me.
Yeah, I kinda lost it at that one too. I was like, "New playstyles? Okay, how about one that locks out chems entirely?" Still, as a rule, I don't respond to comments unless they're direct questions about mechanics or about bugs/issues that I can help with. Better that way, I find.

Grizzwold posted:

If you don't add Wild Wasteland once the GECK comes out I will be very sad. That was one of my favorite parts of NV.
Way back when I had plans to expand the Wild Wasteland trait for NV with even stranger encounters, since I found the existing ones to be very tame. Depending on how my modding zeal for FO4 holds out, most of that work for NV could be ported over. As a game, though, I don't really like FO4 and I loved NV to death, so we'll see how things go.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Any chance for Logan's Loophole? I always ran with that one in NV because I like the feeling of having a "complete" character at some point instead of endlessly accruing skills and levels, and because getting addicted is inconvenient.
That Trait in its original NV incarnation? Probably not, because it's easy to totally replicate the benefits of Logan's Loophole with vanilla perks by level 22 (rank 2 of Chemist at level 17 and rank 2 of Chem Resistant at level 22; total immunity to addiction and twice the duration for chems). As a concept, though, I do like the idea of a Trait that adds a level cap in exchange for some grand ability. Need to think more on what could be worth the trade-off, though.

In the meantime, thanks for the kind words from everyone else. There's been a certain demand for more low-impact Traits that don't change the game too drastically, so I'll see what I can do about that. Things like Good Natured and Small Frame seem to fill that niche until then, though.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Cirosan posted:

That Trait in its original NV incarnation? Probably not, because it's easy to totally replicate the benefits of Logan's Loophole with vanilla perks by level 22 (rank 2 of Chemist at level 17 and rank 2 of Chem Resistant at level 22; total immunity to addiction and twice the duration for chems). As a concept, though, I do like the idea of a Trait that adds a level cap in exchange for some grand ability. Need to think more on what could be worth the trade-off, though.

Skilled from OWB is the one I like to pair with Loophole, but I see you already have something similar. As far as perks from past games not included in FO4, it doesn't look like anyone's bothered to make a list. Between the level up perks, magazines and bobbles -- and I really like the addition of new incremental perks through collectibles rather than them just giving you a small stat increase, and I hope to see a lot more included in mods -- a lot of old stuff is probably included or approximated.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Do the "stabilized" armor effects not work? I'm trying to adjust the way guns wobble and the gun mods and the actual perk added in the console mod_armor_StabilizedPerk don't seem to do anything.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

gasman posted:

Gotta combine this with the Buzz Lightyear power armor mod.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I tried using the favorites menu to switch weapons instead of the number keys, and it made no difference in whether it took half a second to switch or 20. It will probably take a mod to fix that, if it's even possible without a patch.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

hobbesmaster posted:

Do the "stabilized" armor effects not work? I'm trying to adjust the way guns wobble and the gun mods and the actual perk added in the console mod_armor_StabilizedPerk don't seem to do anything.
They reduce sway by an amount based on an actorvalue that the clothing adds. The perk will do nothing without that AV > 0.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Repairable Sanctuary

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

This is really cool, though I'm not big on the pristine inside walls.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Same, I wish there was a decal system or something so it would be possible to make structures that were both solid and not newly minted. I don't like either of the extremes we seem to be stuck with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Babe Magnet posted:

Same, I wish there was a decal system or something so it would be possible to make structures that were both solid and not newly minted. I don't like either of the extremes we seem to be stuck with.

I thought he had something in the write up about making some grimier post war walls. If not I'm sure it would probably come up as an optional file.

• Locked thread