Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

well then were you ever considering lping it, niggurath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rule of Rose is a terrible game gameplay wise but has a truly fantastic plot and atmosphere. It was definitely worth experiencing.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Rides With Strangers has some kind of contest going. The person who manages to get their audience to raise money on the kick-starter through some kind of referral system gets to have appear in-game as a stranger.

It's a good system to get loads of people to mass fund but it means we are going to get a loving pewdiepie stranger.

On a positive note it means there is a slight chance for a cr1tikal stranger

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
For Rule of Rose I had a guide written by the developer of the game itself and I still had no idea what the hell was going on in the plot by the time I had finished it.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Started playing Kholat last night, I know I'm probably late to the party on it, but so far it's really nailing the sense of isolation. It's also one of the first times I've gotten "lost" in a game and had no idea how to get back to my tent.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

voltcatfish posted:

well then were you ever considering lping it, niggurath?
Nah, go experience a competent and enjoyable person LP'ing it. Just don't settle on Two Best Friends making GBS threads on it with their dumb noise.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

Rule of Rose is a terrible game gameplay wise but has a truly fantastic plot and atmosphere. It was definitely worth experiencing.
At least its alleviated by the fact that most enemies are really easy to avoid, as long as you keep moving most enemies won't attack you and even move aside if you run past them. The few enemy arenas and boss fights aside from the final one are still janky messes though.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Every time i think i might enjoy rule of rose i pull up a video from the lparchive LP after the blimp part starts and watch like 30 minutes and then realize how much I'd hate playing through that myself.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Rides With Strangers has some kind of contest going. The person who manages to get their audience to raise money on the kick-starter through some kind of referral system gets to have appear in-game as a stranger.

It's a good system to get loads of people to mass fund but it means we are going to get a loving pewdiepie stranger.

On a positive note it means there is a slight chance for a cr1tikal stranger

You get into the car, thanking whoever picked you up. You look at them, and then you realize its TotalBiscuit. *fade to black as a stock scream sound effect plays*

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the horror is cancer

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Matt and Pat's dumb noise over Rule of Rose was a good time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Accordion Man posted:

At least its alleviated by the fact that most enemies are really easy to avoid, as long as you keep moving most enemies won't attack you and even move aside if you run past them. The few enemy arenas and boss fights aside from the final one are still janky messes though.

That final boss was really memorable, though.

Also, Brown is a good dog.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm looking for games where you play as a monster hunter, preferably a vampire hunter. I know of Castlevania, Legacy of Kain, Blade, Buffy the Vampire, and The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (even though you don't kill any vampires). Can anyone come up with some that are worth playing?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Firstborn posted:

I'm looking for games where you play as a monster hunter, preferably a vampire hunter. I know of Castlevania, Legacy of Kain, Blade, Buffy the Vampire, and The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (even though you don't kill any vampires). Can anyone come up with some that are worth playing?

It probably isn't worth playing but there was Countdown Vampires for the ps1

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
AH well. Worth a shot. I can always consume some media where someone is shooting a vampire in the face with a musket or machine gun or something.

I suppose The Witcher technically counts, right?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Thanks for all the Rule of Rose replies.

OxMan posted:

Every time i think i might enjoy rule of rose i pull up a video from the lparchive LP after the blimp part starts and watch like 30 minutes and then realize how much I'd hate playing through that myself.

I know, right? I'm just watching it utterly bewildered thanking god that someone out there managed to go through this so I didn't have to. Plus I know those are "stock" beating noises but they feel extra nasty in that game for some reason.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Firstborn posted:

AH well. Worth a shot. I can always consume some media where someone is shooting a vampire in the face with a musket or machine gun or something.

It doesn't technically count, its Geralt's job description.

Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines obviously has plenty of vampire killing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Firstborn posted:

Vampire Hunter D is literally a vampire, not that you'd ever want to play that game.

Now there's a classic RPG favorite of mine Veil of Darkness where you're a downed pilot hunting down not-Dracula.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Firstborn posted:

There are a coup,e of Van Helsing games on Steam, but they're more like Diablo, I believe.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The funny part about Van Helsing is nary a vampire is killed across 3 games.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Firstborn posted:

Nosferatu is on Steam, it's allegedly pretty spooky.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Firstborn posted:

Nosferatu absolutely. It's one of my favorite games in general, and very explicitly features vampire hunting complete with holy water and crosses as mechanics. Also ghouls if you're into that.

Other good monster/vampire hunting games would be DarkWatch (Van Helsing in the Wild West, basically) and BloodBorne for capturing the perfect flavor for a gothic monster hunting game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Niggurath posted:

Nah, go experience a competent and enjoyable person LP'ing it. Just don't settle on Two Best Friends making GBS threads on it with their dumb noise.

Christ dude, did one of them really hurt your feelings about a game you like or something?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Apparently the five nights at Freddy's rpg game is out. No idea if it hides something yet.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Christ dude, did one of them really hurt your feelings about a game you like or something?

They're YouTube letsplayers is more justification required?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

They're pretty cool/fun dudes and Matt's a goon if you wanna do the outsider LPs thing :v:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Normal Adult Human posted:

They're YouTube letsplayers is more justification required?

Yeah actually

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Not really; it's just sad that someone asks for a non-scare cam or hammy LP of the game and someone recommends two dudes endlessly spewing unfunny jokes over the game. It's a super heart felt and lovely game with a lot of tough issues that it touches upon and it deserves better.

Yardbomb posted:

They're pretty cool/fun dudes and Matt's a goon if you wanna do the outsider LPs thing :v:
I've heard pewdiepie is a good dude as well, doesn't make his schtick less painful to hear.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lets hang out posted:

Yeah actually

wrong

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Rule of Rose is trash and Two Best Friends' limitless shouty Canadian enthusiasm is exactly the sort of thing that can make that sludgy tire fire of a game entertaining.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Oxxidation posted:

Rule of Rose is trash and Two Best Friends' limitless shouty Canadian enthusiasm is exactly the sort of thing that can make that sludgy tire fire of a game entertaining.

If it's trash, maybe you could just watch something else instead of having unfunny youtube personalities burble over it? This thread does have a number of suggestions for good horror games.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Skyscraper posted:

If it's trash, maybe you could just watch something else instead of having unfunny youtube personalities burble over it?

Nah, I'm pretty cool letting the funny Youtube personalities make a bad game better.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I like Rule of Rose and SBF are still cool guys. Obviously I'm colored by already having played it, but they're good fun if you're not in it for super serious story watching LP of it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Normal Adult Human posted:

I'm gonna hate this thing on principle, and use that principle to justify why I hate this instead of actually explaining why I hate this.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, I was mostly bringing up that maybe someone like Cryaotic would be a better avenue since the person that was originally inquiring even mentioned that the Two Best Friends LP was a bit too much humor and not enough of the game.

ChogsEnhour posted:

Is there a good LP of Rule of Rose anywhere? I checked youtube and it appeared that the two best friends people (Maybe?) did one but it was just them guffawing over the whole thing. I know nothing about that game besides the fact it's pretty weird so I wanted something more akin to Egomaniac's Siren playthroughs.

God, they were good.

Also while the game play of Rule of Rose is not fun, it seems the entire point of an LP then is to enjoy the story cause the story is indeed memorable and worth experiencing for a unique horror outing.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 22, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alright guys I'll do an LP of the game, geez

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I don't have video recording capability however so bear with me

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Ok I'm opening the case. There's a disc. Disk?

Inserting the D (lol)

Next update on Wednesday

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What's wrong with the one in the lparchive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Len posted:

What's wrong with the one in the lparchive?

dullness.