Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
My pet peeve is when people come over and refuse to acknowledge my dog. He's tiny and fluffy and stupidly friendly so when people come over he gets all excited and runs around like crazy. If the visitor pats him for five seconds he'll calm down and go back to whatever he was doing. If they ignore him he gets anxious and whinges and whines until he gets bored or distracted. Then, of course, the person who has come over glares at the whiny dog and acts like it's the biggest nuisance ever. Just pat him for five goddamn seconds, Jesus. My housemate's dad often comes over and has literally never, not once, acknowledged my dog. My housemate's siblings (who, to be fair, are young kids) are also terrified of the dog and ran out of the house the first time they came over and saw him. I don't understand how people can have such a reaction to a dog. Dogs are awesome :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
People who can't understand resting bitch face and people who can't understand I will act differently at work.

So no Frank I'm not in a bad mood I just don't smile all the goddamn time and don't bring up when we are working we are loving park Host/hostess we are paid to smile and lose our jobs if we don't I don't need you to bother me about this all day and loving text me at midnight still bugging me about my loving mood. And this happens every loving time he see's me out of work, why they hell does he not get it yet?

People who think that I, the minimum wage employee has any control over park policy, no you cannot bring your goddamn gun into seaworld get the gently caress out.

Anime nerds, I mean gently caress I watch anime but why the hell do you have a loving body pillow at seaworld? Man I was the one who had to store that poo poo in the backroom for you too, I did not want to touch that.

It's been a bad week.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

YeahTubaMike posted:

My first reaction is to flip them off, but this is not always the right thing to do (for example, if it's a harmless old lady or something), so I just stare blankly until they go away, ignore them entirely, or simply say "no" and continue about my day.

I have pretty severe Resting Bitch Face though, so your mileage may vary.

Sorry to :words: but I get the impression there's a lot of people here who know what I am talking about, so...

I realize how intensely antisocial this is, but a few years ago I finally snapped and 90% of male strangers trying to initiate contact with me get a very loud, "GET hosed". Allow me to explain: I live downtown in a large city, and the closer I am to the core the more likely it is that I am going to be stopped by someone who will seem totally normal and then immediately ask me what my oval office smells like. I've tried the polite approach, ("Hey, gotta cigarette?" "No, sorry!" "gently caress you, you loving bitch!") or smiling tersely at 85 year old men who ask me in a conversational tone if my pubic hair is also red. This kind of poo poo has been happening to me on the regular since I was 11 and I guess I'm just not in the mood for it anymore. I know that these men aren't doing this poo poo because they think I am going to gently caress them, or that it's a genuine compliment to shout "nice tits" from a moving car. They're doing it because they're creepy and lovely.

And just in case the :mad: brigade does show up, yes, you can compliment a stranger if you want. I mean, some people might still be hostile (maybe you chose a bad time? Maybe they are afraid of you? Get over it!) but I've had people tell me they like my hair, or even as far as, "You're very pretty" and I thanked them, because they chose a good time and place and seemed genuine and I didn't feel like if I continued talking to them they were going to follow me home.

cyberia posted:

My pet peeve is when people come over and refuse to acknowledge my dog. He's tiny and fluffy and stupidly friendly so when people come over he gets all excited and runs around like crazy. If the visitor pats him for five seconds he'll calm down and go back to whatever he was doing. If they ignore him he gets anxious and whinges and whines until he gets bored or distracted. Then, of course, the person who has come over glares at the whiny dog and acts like it's the biggest nuisance ever. Just pat him for five goddamn seconds, Jesus. My housemate's dad often comes over and has literally never, not once, acknowledged my dog. My housemate's siblings (who, to be fair, are young kids) are also terrified of the dog and ran out of the house the first time they came over and saw him. I don't understand how people can have such a reaction to a dog. Dogs are awesome :colbert:

I would acknowledge your dog. Maybe even ignore you to do so. No offense. I just love dogs.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

cyberia posted:

You and your dog are my pet peeve.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

People who can't understand resting bitch face and people who can't understand I will act differently at work.

So no Frank I'm not in a bad mood I just don't smile all the goddamn time and don't bring up when we are working we are loving park Host/hostess we are paid to smile and lose our jobs if we don't I don't need you to bother me about this all day and loving text me at midnight still bugging me about my loving mood. And this happens every loving time he see's me out of work, why they hell does he not get it yet?

People who think that I, the minimum wage employee has any control over park policy, no you cannot bring your goddamn gun into seaworld get the gently caress out.

Anime nerds, I mean gently caress I watch anime but why the hell do you have a loving body pillow at seaworld? Man I was the one who had to store that poo poo in the backroom for you too, I did not want to touch that.

It's been a bad week.

Wouldn't logic say that a loving pillow at SeaWorld would get wet and moldy?

The guns thing is new. I love reading reviews of restaurants or pet stores to find the one star reviews because "they ban guns on grounds! FINE I'll take my business elsewhere and save lives because you lieberal weaklings are afraid!"

I wonder if the old zoo I used to work at lets armed people in. I could see it go either way. Seriously who the gently caress needs a gun at a goddamn zoo?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Cowslips Warren posted:

The guns thing is new. I love reading reviews of restaurants or pet stores to find the one star reviews because "they ban guns on grounds! FINE I'll take my business elsewhere and save lives because you lieberal weaklings are afraid!"

I wonder if the old zoo I used to work at lets armed people in. I could see it go either way. Seriously who the gently caress needs a gun at a goddamn zoo?

... Pet stores?

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't know if it helps or makes it worse but the Pillow was Misty from pokemon :psyduck: And the gun thing loving sucks at seaworld because it's happened so often we now have a safe in the back room to store them in with all the other stuff we have to take from idiots, but I gotta call security first and it holds up the whole loving line. At least we no longer have to confiscate dildos anymore so there's that

cash crab posted:

... Pet stores?

I have a whole world of people bringing guns into weird places to show you

Sir PigglyWiggly has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Jan 22, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mostlygray posted:

I get irritated by the opposite. The people that think all animals will kill them. Be it fish, cat, dog, hamster, etc. My recently deceased dog was barky but friendly and never even snapped at a soul. Yet almost every repairman would prefer to listen to a dog bark for 2 hours locked up rather than let him say hello. I've never been bitten by a dog so maybe it's just a hangup that I don't have.
I like dogs. I've never been bitten by a dog. But if I were a repairman coming to someone's house I would have them lock up their dog. Because there are people who own dangerous dogs and don't know or won't acknowledge it. You may say your dog is safe, but I don't know that and I don't know you, and I don't want to get bitten, even by a little dog that couldn't do me much harm.

cyberia posted:

My pet peeve is when people come over and refuse to acknowledge my dog. He's tiny and fluffy and stupidly friendly so when people come over he gets all excited and runs around like crazy. If the visitor pats him for five seconds he'll calm down and go back to whatever he was doing. If they ignore him he gets anxious and whinges and whines until he gets bored or distracted. Then, of course, the person who has come over glares at the whiny dog and acts like it's the biggest nuisance ever.
Some people just don't like dogs. That's not unreasonable.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

At least we no longer have to confiscate dildos anymore so there's that

Okay you can't just loving post that poo poo and not follow up on it. What the gently caress.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

I don't know if it helps or makes it worse but the Pillow was Misty from pokemon :psyduck: And the gun thing loving sucks at seaworld because it's happened so often we now have a safe in the back room to store them in with all the other stuff we have to take from idiots, but I gotta call security first and it holds up the whole loving line. At least we no longer have to confiscate dildos anymore so there's that

I have a whole world of people bringing guns into weird places to show you

If I could, I would buy you a beer and just have you talk at me for hours without interruption.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
Well another petpeeve would be hardasses, I mean there's the spirit of a rule and then there's the letter

So last manager we had at the front a seaworld was a hardass, we have a list of guideline for to take or leave during bag check at seaworld, on the guideline was anything that could be described as a plastic toy, because that kind of poo poo kills animals if dropped in the tanks and they swallow them. So naturally he concluded this includes dildos. I mean we normally ignore them anyway but he was a hardass and would watch us over our shoulders instead of doing his loving job so these things would happen sometimes.

Another thing to note is that when we confiscate an item we have to have the guest fill out this little yellow card with their name, the date and a description of the object, then we store it away and they can pick it up when they leave the park.

So on this loving day, with hardass behind me at bag check I had to pull out a lady's big black dildo, in front of everyone else in the line, with my bare loving hand, and then ask her to write down her name, the date and the words black didlo, tape the card to the dildo and walk it to our office space telling her she can have it back when she leaves.

The Lady naturally had complains but was directing them at the management and rules so hardass got fired later.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Tiggum posted:

Some people just don't like dogs. That's not unreasonable.

It's not unreasonable to not like dogs but it is unreasonable to come into my house and pretend my dog doesn't exist. Talking specifically about my housemate's dad because he acts like a goddamned psychopath: he comes in and won't make eye contact with the dog, won't look in the vicinity of the dog, won't say anything about the dog that is frantically squirming around trying to say hello. It's weird as gently caress and also, imho, rude. Hell, I'm not a big fan of cats but if I go into a house or shop and there's a cat I'll say hello and give it a pat then move on. It takes seconds out of my day and is polite to both the animal and its owner.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

My pet peeve is people in the pet peeve thread replying to a post about someone's pet peeve of not following a social courtesy saying that their pet peeve is being asked to do that. :v:

But seriously, jokes about how many times I can say pet peeve in one sentence aside, why does it happen every drat time? You don't have to agree with everybody, but it contributes nothing to the conversation, you're not being original or funny, and if you actually believe that you should be exempt you come off as immature and petty. Just shut up.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

Well another petpeeve would be hardasses, I mean there's the spirit of a rule and then there's the letter

So last manager we had at the front a seaworld was a hardass, we have a list of guideline for to take or leave during bag check at seaworld, on the guideline was anything that could be described as a plastic toy, because that kind of poo poo kills animals if dropped in the tanks and they swallow them. So naturally he concluded this includes dildos. I mean we normally ignore them anyway but he was a hardass and would watch us over our shoulders instead of doing his loving job so these things would happen sometimes.

Another thing to note is that when we confiscate an item we have to have the guest fill out this little yellow card with their name, the date and a description of the object, then we store it away and they can pick it up when they leave the park.

So on this loving day, with hardass behind me at bag check I had to pull out a lady's big black dildo, in front of everyone else in the line, with my bare loving hand, and then ask her to write down her name, the date and the words black didlo, tape the card to the dildo and walk it to our office space telling her she can have it back when she leaves.

The Lady naturally had complains but was directing them at the management and rules so hardass got fired later.

:stare:

I mean, yeah, that sounds like a pain, but I'd love to know why she had the dildo.

Actually, I think I know what you're talking about. I was working at Safeway, it's 7:00 AM and this person comes in to buy a sandwich. I have been asked to look at people's receipts and thank them by name, every time (this was especially fun when their last name was Syzikozokan or something in Irish, for example). This person had long purple nails, a trim grey business suit, lipstick, a beard, close-cropped hair and pointed flat shoes. I had zero idea what their gender was, but I was supposed to use a prefix like Mr. Hannaman or Mrs. Russell. I had no idea. I went, "Have a great day... [squints at receipt]... Yup. Great day." My boss was standing behind me waiting to readjust my cash drawer and reamed me out for not guessing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cyberia posted:

It's not unreasonable to not like dogs but it is unreasonable to come into my house and pretend my dog doesn't exist. Talking specifically about my housemate's dad because he acts like a goddamned psychopath: he comes in and won't make eye contact with the dog, won't look in the vicinity of the dog, won't say anything about the dog that is frantically squirming around trying to say hello. It's weird as gently caress and also, imho, rude. Hell, I'm not a big fan of cats but if I go into a house or shop and there's a cat I'll say hello and give it a pat then move on. It takes seconds out of my day and is polite to both the animal and its owner.

I think you're the weird one in this situation.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tiggum posted:

I think you're the weird one in this situation.

A moment of acknowledgement would calm the dog down and you think the person who repeatedly makes a point of completely ignoring another living being's existence is the reasonable one here? :what: Care to justify your position instead of going "No, you"?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

mostlygray posted:

I get irritated by the opposite. The people that think all animals will kill them. Be it fish, cat, dog, hamster, etc. My recently deceased dog was barky but friendly and never even snapped at a soul. Yet almost every repairman would prefer to listen to a dog bark for 2 hours locked up rather than let him say hello. I've never been bitten by a dog so maybe it's just a hangup that I don't have.

They don't know your dog the way you do and have no idea whether it's just being friendly or will try to bite them. Or will bite them while thinking it's being friendly by doing so.

When an unfamiliar animal runs at you, you really have no idea what it will do. It's reasonable to be a bit uncomfortable with that unless you're talking about a chihuahua or something.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Have you actually told your guests this, or do you just expect them to automatically know your dog's personality?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

A moment of acknowledgement would calm the dog down and you think the person who repeatedly makes a point of completely ignoring another living being's existence is the reasonable one here? :what: Care to justify your position instead of going "No, you"?

It's a dog. Not everyone likes dogs. Some people really don't like dogs. If your dog is bothering a human, you should take the dog away from the human. It's not the responsibility of everyone else to cater to your dog's whims. That person is probably thinking "Every time I come over here, that loving dog is always being a nuisance, why don't they just put it in another room when people come over?" but is too polite to say anything. Humans are more important than dogs.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Tiggum posted:

Humans are more important than dogs.

Mods, please ban this sick filth.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cowslips Warren posted:

I live in Ohio, so it shouldn't surprise me, but I've heard several conversations at work that consist of "whenever I see a no guns sign, I make sure to have mine with me."

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Tiggum posted:

It's a dog. Not everyone likes dogs. Some people really don't like dogs. If your dog is bothering a human, you should take the dog away from the human. It's not the responsibility of everyone else to cater to your dog's whims. That person is probably thinking "Every time I come over here, that loving dog is always being a nuisance, why don't they just put it in another room when people come over?" but is too polite to say anything. Humans are more important than dogs.

To be fair, I think it's kind of weird when adults can't express basic things like, "Actually, your dog makes me uncomfortable."

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Catcalling is a thing I would never do and i do not understand what possesses some guys to do it, but in a vacuum, "drat I'd like to lick the sweat off your rear end" is kind of hilarious as a pickup line

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Along the lines of catcalling, I really hate it when delivery drivers hit on me. It happens to me way too often, and I've had things turn *really* scary before, so I'm always a little bit nervous with any delivery driver that I don't already know.
I also get catcalled a poo poo ton, and I was propositioned in broad daylight in the middle of a shopping center one time.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Seriously though, catcalling sucks, but if you're going to do it, be like "You look really cute, I like the color of your hair! :)" rather than "I'd like to take that dress off and do some things to you :wiggle:"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you're going to do it, try not doing it instead. Be amazed as you suddenly avert being an intrusive creep!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't know if all businesses do this but I am a field technician for an alarm company and have been for another alarm company and a cable company and all 3 have it as a rule that dogs have to be put up while you're there. Honestly I don't follow the rule often but if I ever got caught with a dog not put up or get bitten I would be disciplined and possibly fired.

That's a very good point.

It's still a pet peeve for me, but it's my baggage. I suppose just have a ridiculous *lack* of fear of dogs. I teach my kids to be careful around dogs (standard rules), but I even get irritated by owners who say that their dogs might bite. Fear begets fear. I figure, stand straight and be calm, when they're settled, kneel and say hello, unless the dog is pathological, it will mellow (In my experience). Just keep your hip turned to protect your junk and one arm ready to protect your neck.

I've never seen a dog that won't calm down with gentle words and a kind hand. I will make an exception for kids though. They can't fight back. I don't mind if they're cautious.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I know that if my old cat Sonny was around someone doing work, he'd make himself an absolute menace. Especially if someone was fixing up the bathroom. He loved stealing plumbing for whatever reason. I miss that stupid rear end in a top hat cat.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

YeahTubaMike posted:

This dude wandered up to me while I was walking for the train, half-whispered "I've got nine inches," and wandered off. It was one of the more surreal experiences I've had.

How can you turn down Trent Reznor so quickly?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Screaming Idiot posted:

How can you turn down Trent Reznor so quickly?

Because she didn't want to get Nine inch Nailed.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
But he's the perfect drug!

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I don't entirely trust people who dislike dogs. I'm okay if you don't love dogs or if you are a bit afraid I'll make an exception but if you actively don't like dogs I don't need that in my life. You're probably a sociopath.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

teenytinymouse posted:

I don't entirely trust people who dislike dogs. I'm okay if you don't love dogs or if you are a bit afraid I'll make an exception but if you actively don't like dogs I don't need that in my life. You're probably a sociopath.

Hey, I happen to love dogs very much, okay? I only feed them the finest cuts of meat from only the most pleasant sort of person.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Relatedly, one of my peeves is people who not only make the unnecessary "cat/dog person" dichotomy, but also declare me to be on the cat side just because I own a cat. I loving love dogs, I just can't own one.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
People leaving their clothes in the communal laundry for hours on end. Half an hour or something? Sure, whatever, your life doesn't revolve around the laundry, who cares. But there's only one drier, so maybe don't leave your poo poo in there for at least 2 hours after they're done. And clean the loving lint filter, christ.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

The worst part is the people I've seen acting like this had the most disgusting and gross looking dogs. Those lovely little white ones with the huge paths of eye goop running down it's face and filth all over it's mouth with breath bad enough to strip varnish off a wood table. Or those gross pugs that huff and wheeze.

What is with people owning gross rear end dogs and then being offended when nobody wants to touch their gross rear end dog. And if you do they always have that weird old man hair or this super greasy coat. It makes me shudder thinking how gross it is.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I love dogs and have never had a bad experience with one, but if I had a job where I went into peoples' homes, I'd probably prefer that their pets got shut away while I'm installing their cable or whatever too.

Because I would play with the dog instead of doing my job.

I'm sorry, what was the question?

Oh, also, random bus schedule changes. "Hi, we're going to make every bus pickup time on this route five minutes earlier next week, throwing your entire morning routine into havoc because your other bus, which is not changing, won't get you here in time to make your connection any more. THANK YOU FOR RIDING SHITFUCKERY TRANSIT."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Catcalling is a thing I would never do and i do not understand what possesses some guys to do it, but in a vacuum, "drat I'd like to lick the sweat off your rear end" is kind of hilarious as a pickup line

Definitely, if I tried it would probably come out like "Hey! Nice fingers! I bet you use them to hold things!"

teenytinymouse posted:

I actively don't like dogs and I'm not a sociopath. Most people have terrible dogs that jump all over you with their muddy rear end paws and almost knock you over when you have an armload of stuff, and the owners are all like "aww! They like you, you should drop your poo poo and pet them!"

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

And the gun thing loving sucks at seaworld because it's happened so often we now have a safe in the back room to store them in with all the other stuff we have to take from idiots, but I gotta call security first and it holds up the whole loving line.

Do you actually search people/run them through metal detectors, or do people just see the "no guns" sign and start poo poo about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Iron Crowned posted:

I actively don't like dogs and I'm not a sociopath. Most people have terrible dogs that jump all over you with their muddy rear end paws and almost knock you over when you have an armload of stuff, and the owners are all like "aww! They like you, you should drop your poo poo and pet them!"

Yeah most dogs are poorly trained (if they are trained at all) and are unpredictable. Owners just brush off bad behavior with "well he never does that to me, you must have provoked him".

On the opposite end of things, I can't stand the people who go for the "extreme" training options. The ones who have hundreds of dollars of training equipment including shock collars, choke/prong collars, etc and who think rolling their dog over with their hand on their throat is normal because they saw it on an episode of Cesar Milan's garbage show. The ones who will talk your ear off about how my dog is a wolf and I need to make it terrified of me to establish myself as the ~pack leader~. If you try to contradict them they'll get all huffy and say "google it, I don't have time to educate you".