Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Honestly, the Ford's greatest sin is its dumb loving name. The pride of the United States Navy, the centerpiece of its fleets, and the single largest symbol of America's staggering wealth and overwhelming military might for the next half-century.... named after a guy who was President for two years and is mostly remembered for falling down a lot. Why, oh why, couldn't they have named the first ship the Enterprise?

Oh, I can't wait to see what the freakout is gonna be when it comes time to name an aircraft carrier after Barack Obama :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh, I can't wait to see what the freakout is gonna be when it comes time to name an aircraft carrier after Barack Obama :allears:

Black Ops 2 already did this, is the fun part. The USS OBAMA was your main base in the future sections. I don't remember much of an outcry. I mean sure that was a videogame and not reality but still.

of course they also had Secdef Petreaus, so they weren't exactly batting a thousand :laugh:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
It's been a while since I've played this, but I could have sworn that last mission took place in Sudentor, with the facilities being bombed explicitly mentioned as being owned by the South Belkan Munition Factories. Guess I remembered wrong.

Oh, and also Rald did nothing wrong.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

ninjahedgehog posted:

Honestly, the Ford's greatest sin is its dumb loving name. The pride of the United States Navy, the centerpiece of its fleets, and the single largest symbol of America's staggering wealth and overwhelming military might for the next half-century.... named after a guy who was President for two years and is mostly remembered for falling down a lot. Why, oh why, couldn't they have named the first ship the Enterprise?

It's not an entirely dumb name if you consider that Gerald Ford was also a decorated Navy veteran of WWII... Even if one of his defining moments was almost falling off his destroyer during "Halsey's Typhoon" in 1944 :laugh:. Most of the other Presidents who have ships named after them were in the Navy at one point or another, and the ones who weren't still measurably contributed to the Naval Service through their policies as politicians.

And what I meant when I said there isn't any turning back w.r.t. the Ford-class is that the EMC and advanced arresting gear are so interwoven into the ship's design that a retrofit is impossible, or at the very best, financially ruinous. I do believe the technology will eventually be perfected, but there's no way they'd be able to, say, scrap it all and go back to steam if the design challenges become insurmountable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

YeOldeButchere posted:

It's been a while since I've played this, but I could have sworn that last mission took place in Sudentor, with the facilities being bombed explicitly mentioned as being owned by the South Belkan Munition Factories. Guess I remembered wrong.

Oh, and also Rald did nothing wrong.

Next mission :ssh:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Cooked Auto posted:

Two "honourable mentions" of the F-35 in movies has to be Pacific Rim and the newest American Godzilla movie. I say that because the opening act of PacRim has at least a two or three F-35s getting blown up by the first Kaiju and in Godzilla the MUTO's killscore for the F-35 is at least 10 or so from what I recall with them just practically falling out of the sky due to the EMP.

Which was an odd inverse to the previous aforementioned trend of the F-35 being close to a hero plane whenever it showed up.

Except I'm pretty sure it was F-22s in both of those instances. It's definitely the F-22 in Pacific Rim (firing twin cannons somehow).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Casualty posted:

It's not an entirely dumb name if you consider that Gerald Ford was also a decorated Navy veteran of WWII... Even if one of his defining moments was almost falling off his destroyer during "Halsey's Typhoon" in 1944 :laugh:. Most of the other Presidents who have ships named after them were in the Navy at one point or another, and the ones who weren't still measurably contributed to the Naval Service through their policies as politicians.

Or they're just that badass, like Washington or Lincoln. Honestly, I don't mind Ford as the name for an individual carrier (although I agree with a previous poster that naming them after people is silly to begin with, if you ask me they ought to switch naming rules with submarines) I just dislike that they named the first one the Ford because it's now the Gerald R. Ford-class. Enterprise-class would have been way better.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Polaron posted:

Except I'm pretty sure it was F-22s in both of those instances. It's definitely the F-22 in Pacific Rim (firing twin cannons somehow).

Oh yeah, it was F-22s in PacRim now that you mention it but definitely F-35s in Godzilla.
Also today I learned of the existence of The Internet Movie Plane database. Which has, strangely enough, no Ace Combat entries.
But one for HAWX 1. :v:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

ninjahedgehog posted:

Or they're just that badass, like Washington or Lincoln. Honestly, I don't mind Ford as the name for an individual carrier (although I agree with a previous poster that naming them after people is silly to begin with, if you ask me they ought to switch naming rules with submarines) I just dislike that they named the first one the Ford because it's now the Gerald R. Ford-class. Enterprise-class would have been way better.

True. Then again, it could end up as a single ship of its class if the next one off the line requires radical changes to improve the deficient systems. Kinda like how the Kennedy formed a one-ship subclass as an interim design between the Kitty Hawks and the Nimitzes. Or the Enterprise itself, for that matter.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Casualty posted:

True. Then again, it could end up as a single ship of its class if the next one off the line requires radical changes to improve the deficient systems. Kinda like how the Kennedy formed a one-ship subclass as an interim design between the Kitty Hawks and the Nimitzes. Or the Enterprise itself, for that matter.

I thought they said that the next upcoming Ford class Carrier would be called Enterprise. In this case the third ship of the class.
But yes, the next class should just be called Enterprise to be honest.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah but Pixy is a fuckup who keeps getting in the way of my actual kills, the bastard. I'll go into that in the next couple videos.

As for other planes, I do want to branch out a bit but the thing is, what with it being a challenge run, I do want to keep on using the F-5. At the very least it keeps it more satisfying, especially on harder missions, using the shittiest plane in the game and all that, and the super limited payload keeps it interesting. But I could jump on using the MiG-31 for a bit, which though it doesn't have the payload problems, it makes the F-5 look nimble.

I dunno, I'll open the question up, what do you guys want to see? I've only got a couple missions recorded so I could try some other aircraft if people want to see new things.

I've forgotten which plane gets the Warcrime Bombs (napalm) in AC0, but I reckon use that one for Hoffnung and any other relevant aircraft if you can think of fun (slash horrifying) reasons to use them, but otherwise stick with the F-5. Having done my own starter-plane-only-on-Ace-difficulty runs of all the PS2 games I find it enjoyable to watch how other people handle the utter lack of ammo the starter planes bring to the table. In particular I've enjoyed the ease with which you bring the F-5's gun to bear in the videos you've already posted.

Also this is kind of a personal point but I think AC2 and 4 managed to do targeting properly, and then somehow they completely hosed it up for 5 and beyond. AC04 in particular has a system where each press of triangle targets the next farthest plane from the center of your view, then sorts by distance. AC5 had an option to switch between distance from the center of your view and distance from your aircraft, but neither really worked as well because something about the AC4 system (whether deliberate or not) meant that tilting the left stick in a direction and pressing triangle would tend to target things in that direction.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

Makrond posted:

Also this is kind of a personal point but I think AC2 and 4 managed to do targeting properly, and then somehow they completely hosed it up for 5 and beyond.
I am overjoyed someone agrees with me. I've argued bitterly with Aces about the targetting before.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
I don't see how anyone could disagree. 4 has predictable results with each button press and it's completely in the hands of the player. 5, 0, 6 and even Assault Horizon make it unpredictable even if you're paying attention to the distance each target is from you, and only 4 lets you quickly and painlessly target stuff behind you, which is so critical against the Yellows it's not even funny and which is sorely lacking in 0.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've honestly never had much in the way of problems with targeting in the series, and 5/0 are the games I've played the most. The main problem I've got with it in 0 is how it gives preference to red targets, which is generally great but it gets annoying when you have a red/green furball and you're going for greens.

Which is really only a problem for idiots like me trying to do dumb challenge runs but still. Infinity gets it perfect though, as far as I'm concerned.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I've never really felt like picking targets in any of these games is particularly painful. But, like Aces, I've played 5, 0, and 6 the most by far. I was a serial renter of 4 and beat it multiple times, but I never owned it. The other ones I bought and played religiously.

Which reminds me, Ace Combat has been oft-imitated but never bettered. How many of you remember Air Force Delta, for the Dreamcast?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Never played that one but I know full well what a piece of poo poo Air Force Delta Strike is. Imagine being in a plane.

Then not being able to roll around and pitch up or down like you can in every AC game.

And also being slower.

That's Airforce Delta Strike.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Casualty posted:

Which reminds me, Ace Combat has been oft-imitated but never bettered. How many of you remember Air Force Delta, for the Dreamcast?

Yeah, that's always kind of a shame. I know I bought HAWX on release day.

I also know that I returned HAWX on release day.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Most of the imitators don't get that AC is Mecha Anime But With Planes and so needs the silly melodrama to live.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Night10194 posted:

Most of the imitators don't get that AC is Mecha Anime But With Planes and so needs the silly melodrama to live.

Which is precisely why AFD is such a weaker game. It attempts to plant you into its own sort of Strangereal world with made up countries and fantastical superweapons, but there's basically no plot, no characterization at all. There's not even wingmen or radio chatter. It's just so sterile, there's no feeling that you're fighting a war with any sort of consequences or human cost.

It's not as if the gameplay isn't fun, although the flight model and lack of SP Weapons plants it more in the ballpark of AC3 rather than AC4. It's also a pretty game for its time, as I think most of the top tier Dreamcast games were. But its lack of any emotion squashes the replay value.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, that's always kind of a shame. I know I bought HAWX on release day.

I also know that I returned HAWX on release day.

CRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAW select zone four and extend CRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAWCRENSHAW

HAWX is weird because they clearly wanted to make Tom Clancy's Ace Combat, and they did so with one mission, but the rest of the game was poo poo. Back when Cooked Auto did an LP of it I think some interesting info surfaced on all the stuff they had to cut - it may not have made the core gameplay better (which wasn't great) but there would've been more meat on the bones at least.

bonus points if you actually remember Crenshaw's callsign, which was used. Uh. Once? Never?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I think it was used a grand total of three (3) times.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Psion posted:

bonus points if you actually remember Crenshaw's callsign, which was used. Uh. Once? Never?
Wasn't it "Shade"?
I'd look it up, but this being HAWX we are talking about, ehh :effort:

Though I have to correct you: they had two good levels rather than one: Tokio was also a really fun level with a massive furball at the start and completely different characters (no CRENSHAW there).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

In my LP playthrough it got used once and that was just one of those random "Kill confirmed" sound clips even.
And yes, it's Shade. I get the feeling they chose that out of coolness more than anything else.

radintorov posted:

Though I have to correct you: they had two good levels rather than one: Tokio was also a really fun level with a massive furball at the start and completely different characters (no CRENSHAW there).

I'd almost say three good ones. First you have Rio the Janeiro mission which is the most Ace Combat mission there is followed by the Tokyo one as you mentioned.
After that one I would almost say the Washington DC one because it begins with a pretty great furball and the defence part is pretty okay too. (Not to mention an excuse to use the cluster munitions.)
The ship sinking mission after Rio is pretty okay too.
So 3½ I guess.
I made this really dumb chart way back then for HAWX 1 that kind of plots out my general opinion of the games missions:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 22, 2016

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I remember trying out HAWX and being completely unable to advance the tutorial because I couldn't figure out how to kill things in that weird cinematic third person mode.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Polaron posted:

I remember trying out HAWX and being completely unable to advance the tutorial because I couldn't figure out how to kill things in that weird cinematic third person mode.

Same, it was just so loving unusable that outside of that tutorial I just never used it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Polaron posted:

If it made you feel any better, neither did I because the camera angle is atrocious and there is no way to really get where and how you are flying with OFF mode on.
Why they kept it for 2 I don't know because of how much they changed the AI.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Cooked Auto posted:

If it made you feel any better, neither did I because the camera angle is atrocious and there is no way to really get where and how you are flying with OFF mode on.
Why they kept it for 2 I don't know because of how much they changed the AI.

Your LP was literally the only way I was able to see anything past the tutorial. I've never understood how Project Aces managed to nail the feel of arcadey-fun jet flying so perfectly and yet nobody else has managed to do it. There are, what, nine games in total in the series so far? There's plenty of examples people could learn from!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Polaron posted:

Your LP was literally the only way I was able to see anything past the tutorial. I've never understood how Project Aces managed to nail the feel of arcadey-fun jet flying so perfectly and yet nobody else has managed to do it. There are, what, nine games in total in the series so far? There's plenty of examples people could learn from!

Well to be fair, Project Aces isn't perfect either. Not sure what compelled them to go the direction they did for Assault Horizon but bleugh.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well to be fair, Project Aces isn't perfect either. Not sure what compelled them to go the direction they did for Assault Horizon but bleugh.

I actually like Assault Horizon :shobon:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I will contest that they at least realized the error of their ways and made some well needed course corrections for Assault Horizon Legacy and Infinity. AHL features AH's Dogfight mode done right; turn it into a 5-second entirely optional insta-kill window.

Christ, I'm sooooo mad that I have to do Ace Combat 2 rather than Legacy. Legacy is a waaaaay outing for that game.

gently caress Nintendo.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Polaron posted:

I actually like Assault Horizon :shobon:

So do I but I recognize it has some glaring issues as I honestly got frustrated with Dogfighting mode as well while playing it.
I really should finish it at some point too. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

AH's dogfight mode is fine in multiplayer, a statement I've made before and will make again, because it's true.

Invincibility frames during scripted moves combined with AI incapable of handling counters properly, however, is an awful concept. But they rolled all three together and said "well here's your campaign!" and ... well, it's so bad it pretty much tarnished the entire concept. If you take out just the i-frames and leave the rest intact it'd be fine - not great, but fine. Unfortunately that's just not something Project Aces did.

If you remove the i-frames (i.e. play mp) and add an opponent capable of using the DFM counters (a human, sometimes) you get something cool as hell. But since none of that was present in the campaign, I'm not surprised to see a lot of hate.

invincibility frames, why namco :negative:

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Polaron posted:

My guess is that most games that attempt to compete with AC have someone somewhere on the dev team or in management who figures "Hey, if we make this just a little bit more realistic/serious, we can get the flight-sim demographics and the military-boner-oorah people to buy this too! We're gonna make so much money!". Except you just end up with something that isn't realistic enough for people who want flight sims (because those people are arguably insane and want things done in real time with a fully functional cockpit and also I've been told that real planes don't carry 50+ missiles) and isn't serious enough for the military enthusiast (needs at least 500% more military lingo). So you end up with something that doesn't really appeal to anyone, even though it should totally work on paper and make tons of money, really!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
PSA: don't play Assault Horizon.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I've kind of wanted to do an LP of the Janes arcadey flight sim because a friend of mine streamed it last year and while it's bad it's also strangely silly at times to the point I figured the script writer realized that the game was going to be awful and just injected a bunch of goofy lines for levity's sake. At one point the main character pilot goes "Hello below" to some spec ops squad you're supposed to support in a really casual tone.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Lunethex posted:

Never played that one but I know full well what a piece of poo poo Air Force Delta Strike is. Imagine being in a plane.

Then not being able to roll around and pitch up or down like you can in every AC game.

And also being slower.

That's Airforce Delta Strike.

Also...skintight flight suits for everyone.

Even for the fat black guy.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lunethex posted:

PSA: don't play Assault Horizon.

this is a real Chance-tier opinion there buddy

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I will contest that they at least realized the error of their ways and made some well needed course corrections for Assault Horizon Legacy and Infinity. AHL features AH's Dogfight mode done right; turn it into a 5-second entirely optional insta-kill window.

Christ, I'm sooooo mad that I have to do Ace Combat 2 rather than Legacy. Legacy is a waaaaay outing for that game.

gently caress Nintendo.

I wonder how Legacy would sound with AC2's music. "Higher quality" instruments optional.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
I've still been considering picking up Airforce Delta Strike simply because what I hear of it makes it seems like the missions would be suitably crazy.

Like, flying into the eye of a tornado to destroy the machinery causing it. Taking off from an airborne aircraft carrier by being thrown out the back and hope your engine can start up properly in mid-flight. Making a plane space-capable by jamming extra thrusters onto it, and flying up a space elevator as it's falling apart. poo poo like that.

The original game's problem is that it was basically a straight ripoff of Ace Combat 2. All it tried to add on was one certain mission (which I won't discuss because Ace Combat ended up doing the same thing five years later and it's kind of a massive spoiler there) and some bullshit in the ending about how the enemies you were fighting at some point were apparently formerly comrades of yours or something which came completely out of left field even if you noticed mention earlier that a certain mission had you taking out an airfield that had apparently been used by your group at some point (because apparently the people still there just joined whoever took them over, no questions asked? No attempted rebellion on their end or a rescue mission from your side?).

HAWX's problem is that its gimmick has way too many camera issues. The thing is that it wants to be "dynamic" so every time you start up OFF mode it's facing you pretty much entirely head-on, and then it very, very slowly pans over to the guy you want to shoot, and doesn't really get that much faster if you press the target-change button again to tell it to knock off the poo poo, so haha gently caress you if you wanted an edge over an opponent in a timely fashion.
ERS is also bullshit because it only works properly when it's the only option given to you, read: whichever mission forces you to fly through the cloud of AA fire three times. They had the gall to add challenges for killing certain amounts of targets in ERS when nine times out of ten it kicks you out halfway through the path it set out for you and you have to immediately try again to actually get through the path and kill the thing in a way that actually counts for the challenge. I basically had to use ERS to use ERS when I went for those challenges (unlocking planes got very, very tedious when there's Battlefield 2-esque requirements for ranking up and nobody plays competitive multiplayer where I'd like to presume the amount of experience gained per flight was a little bit higher). It was basically wasting a full goddamned minute on a single target when I could easily kill 15 or more on my own in that same time frame. I refuse to believe there's anyone who would actually be playing a two-bit Ace Combat clone when they're that bad at flight sims that they need the game itself to hold their hand to get them to hit their target rather than the building they're hiding behind.

Psion posted:

AH's dogfight mode is fine in multiplayer, a statement I've made before and will make again, because it's true.

Invincibility frames during scripted moves combined with AI incapable of handling counters properly, however, is an awful concept. But they rolled all three together and said "well here's your campaign!" and ... well, it's so bad it pretty much tarnished the entire concept. If you take out just the i-frames and leave the rest intact it'd be fine - not great, but fine. Unfortunately that's just not something Project Aces did.

If you remove the i-frames (i.e. play mp) and add an opponent capable of using the DFM counters (a human, sometimes) you get something cool as hell. But since none of that was present in the campaign, I'm not surprised to see a lot of hate.

invincibility frames, why namco :negative:

This is really a much better way to say what my problem with DFM was.
The devs originally said Dogfight Mode was optional, didn't they? Well... they're half-right at best. I mean, it is technically optional, but that's in the same manner that your missiles and special weapons are "optional". Have fun trying to kill anything with them when even the basic MiG-21s suddenly have an endless supply of flares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I just cheated my way to a full unlock in HAWX 1. It was much easier to grind it out in 2 though thanks to the survival mode. Even if the unlock system bugged out on me at one point leaving me with one single unlock I can't do, and then after a reinstall it flipped it out completely and had random stuff locked for me from what I remember.

• Locked thread