Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
It's not a cult, I just live on the refreshment compound eagerly awaiting the return of the Syrup Lord Coxxor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I knew a guy who ran a game store and he used to cash in all the bottle cap codes he got from selling sodas and use them to get free decks of cards, because apparently the return on selling poker decks if you're a small shop and just want one box of them is really lovely and not worth it.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Depressing moves in marketing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg_Cseyv3JY

My DVR is my best friend. On the weekend, forget about it, I'm watching everything.

I watch my show, and I'm happy again.

Wanamingo has a new favorite as of 08:14 on Jan 17, 2016

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The other day I saw some sort of upscalish clothing line and the tags had something about the "second most interesting man in the world" and then had a bunch of dumb lines in the same vein as the Dos Equis commercials. Even if it's supposed to be tongue in cheek, that's the best you can come up with? A blatant rip off of a popular ad campaign from like five years ago? I can't for the life of me find the clothing line on google though... anyone else seen it?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Wanamingo posted:

My DVR is my best friend. On the weekend, forget about it, I'm watching everything.

I watch my show, and I'm happy again.

And the thing is they both say it in exactly the tone of voice that takes these phrases into definitely-not-joke territory.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That was also one of the things that Candy Crush became infamous for. Invite your friends or pay for extra lives! Guess which one people picked?

I never played so much that I cared about extra lives, but their end of chapter mechanics are pretty cunning. You can pay in gold bars (=$) to cross to the next chapter, or your friends can send you unlocks. But what if you don't do anything because you can't be bothered or you're content with playing old chapters? Then after a day or two the "fairy" will help you. The game just keeps you moving. For some reason that impressed me from the game design perspective.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

OctoberBlues posted:

The other day I saw some sort of upscalish clothing line and the tags had something about the "second most interesting man in the world" and then had a bunch of dumb lines in the same vein as the Dos Equis commercials. Even if it's supposed to be tongue in cheek, that's the best you can come up with? A blatant rip off of a popular ad campaign from like five years ago? I can't for the life of me find the clothing line on google though... anyone else seen it?

Remember "Got ________?"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Remember "Got ________?"

Hungry for apples?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got a flyer in the mail today for Just Eat, which is a service to provide delivery for resturants that don't have decicated delivery. Sounds good, though its ads are always basically "hey only suckers cook at home, order food! Also that means your picky kids will be able to choose what they want!".

First off, why are your bratty kids entitled to have whatever they want for dinner? gently caress that poo poo. Not to mention that being able to cook at home is just better in every way. Yea, going out to eat is nice once and a while, but it would be depressing to go out nightly. Are you that lazy/unskilled you can't fry a steak and heat up a potato?

Boston Pizza did the same thing, shaming people into ordering food.

Actually, kids being picky and getting everything they want pops up in the oddest ads. I can see it in an ad for a stove that has two separate ovens where you can cook two things at different temperatures (but gently caress you if you are going to feed your kids pizza every night because they demand it), but then in a finacial planning ad where it shows a bunch of soccer moms watching a game and having voice overs of their internal thoughts and one says "Was she serious about university in Hawaii?". Unless Hawaii has the only Volcanology course in the US then maybe, but nope, your kid wants something and you are a bad parent if you can't provide for it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, going out to eat is nice once and a while, but it would be depressing to go out nightly.

Would it? Why? If I had enough money to just not care about spending restaurant prices on food all the time I'd probably only cook when I particularly wanted something I couldn't get at a restaurant.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tiggum posted:

Would it? Why? If I had enough money to just not care about spending restaurant prices on food all the time I'd probably only cook when I particularly wanted something I couldn't get at a restaurant.

I guess in that situation it wouldn't be so bad. But if you were just an average person, I feel like it would.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Tiggum, are you going to tell us that now you know why we cry, and then lower yourself into a vault of molten steel?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

twistedmentat posted:

your kid wants something and you are a bad parent if you can't provide for it.

This is exactly what makes it an effective ad, they're making you afraid of being a bad patent by not giving your kid the best, then offering you a solution to get rid of that fear. May not be the most ethical, but it's marketing 101 I'd hardly call it dumb on the part of the agency

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Sentient Data posted:

This is exactly what makes it an effective ad, they're making you afraid of being a bad patent by not giving your kid the best, then offering you a solution to get rid of that fear. May not be the most ethical, but it's marketing 101 I'd hardly call it dumb on the part of the agency

I think twisted means it's dumb because of how obvious it comes across. A lot of these dumb things work, but when you are aware they're happening in a really blatant way it's kind of hilairously stupid. (Not stupid that the company does it, more stupid in a "Jesus Christ, my species will still fall for this" type way.)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Remember "Got ________?"

In my city there's literally a billboard right now that says "Got Faith?" It also shows a water tap pouring into a wine glass where it of course becomes wine. I live in Southern Michigan, and right now suggesting anything but clean water coming out of your tap miiiiight be a misstep however.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

Tiggum, are you going to tell us that now you know why we cry, and then lower yourself into a vault of molten steel?

:lol: Still laughing at this

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sweeperbravo posted:

I think twisted means it's dumb because of how obvious it comes across. A lot of these dumb things work, but when you are aware they're happening in a really blatant way it's kind of hilairously stupid. (Not stupid that the company does it, more stupid in a "Jesus Christ, my species will still fall for this" type way.)

Yea, because its not based around giving your kids the best thing, its giving the kids whatever they want, no matter what.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Choco1980 posted:

In my city there's literally a billboard right now that says "Got Faith?" It also shows a water tap pouring into a wine glass where it of course becomes wine. I live in Southern Michigan, and right now suggesting anything but clean water coming out of your tap miiiiight be a misstep however.

Ouch.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, because its not based around giving your kids the best thing, its giving the kids whatever they want, no matter what.

It's not even really about what the kids want. Anyone who has ever tried to convince a child to eat something they don't want has felt the temptation to just give them what they're asking for. The kid is happy, the parent is happy because the kid is quiet, and everyone is happy again later, because the kid isn't cranky because he refused to eat anything at dinner time. Boston Pizza offers the easy way out, every time. You don't even have to cook or clean up after.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

poo poo, those are still around? I just watched Constantine this evening and that billboard is in the movie, which was released in 2005.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

bawk has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Jan 24, 2016

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzXBNmL8OgU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

The F Rum of Fargo Head just seals the deal over the A#1 copy editor they have there.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

The F Rum of Fargo Head just seals the deal over the A#1 copy editor they have there.

The best part is that top headline for the front page is about jazzercising

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
E: wrong thread

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Whoops!

:staredog:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That is completely intentional and exactly why you took notice of the ad.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

It's probably a stock photo but it looks like the guy in the second one is in on it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ramos posted:

Yeah, vitamin D deficiency is a serious issue in the sub‐arctic.

This is a great move in marketing.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Ramos posted:

Apparently it was legitimate and has since been pulled. v:shobon:v

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/we-all-need-d-says-ad-campaign-obviously-doesnt-know-what-d-means-169187

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
So the girl "needs the D" but the guy "needs to do the D"? The inconsistency is bothering me more than the innuendo is amusing me :(

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Guys check this out, they make an ice cream bar called Magnum. Boy are they gonna have egg on their face when they realize it's the same name as a brand of condoms.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

Guys check this out, they make an ice cream bar called Magnum. Boy are they gonna have egg on their face when they realize it's the same name as a brand of condoms.

I'm almost positive that this has come up in this thread, or a similar one, but Trojan is a pretty bad name when you think about the historical context.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

sout posted:

I'm almost positive that this has come up in this thread, or a similar one, but Trojan is a pretty bad name when you think about the historical context.

And the mascot is a Roman legionnaire, not a Greek Hoplite!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

:stare:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

3000IU daily :smug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:staredog:

Holy poo poo. I'm posting this to IOSM right now if it isn't there already.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I hope this goes viral and the guy goes out of business holy poo poo

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Hoooooooooly poo poo :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

sweeperbravo posted:

I hope this goes viral and the guy goes out of business holy poo poo

I hope he gets a ton of business. I appreciate that level of harsh honesty that is lacking so much from business and politics nowdays/