Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The sex is written as luridly, outlandishly, and specifically as the violence, which makes it, I guess, kind of an interesting test for double standards. I mean the sex is really silly, spectacularly silly, but it's not any more goony than the shootouts.

I'd still rather get caught reading one of the gunfights than one of the sex scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

General Battuta posted:

The sex is written as luridly, outlandishly, and specifically as the violence, which makes it, I guess, kind of an interesting test for double standards. I mean the sex is really silly, spectacularly silly, but it's not any more goony than the shootouts.

I'd still rather get caught reading one of the gunfights than one of the sex scenes.

I got caught listening to one of the weird human/elf super graphic gay sex scenes from his fantasy series when I had the audiobook on when I was laying down for a nap.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

savinhill posted:

I got caught listening to one of the weird human/elf super graphic gay sex scenes from his fantasy series when I had the audiobook on when I was laying down for a nap.

Let me answer some questions you might have: that was called an erection, and it's a perfectly normal thing that happens to all young men.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Isn't he the guy who said "the sex I write is the sex I have"? If true I suppose it might put him ahead of Peter F Hamilton and the like.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Another sort of interesting double-standard test is opinions on the straight sex in the Kovacs books and the equally explicity gay sex in the Land Meant For Heroes books.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Let me answer some questions you might have: that was called an erection, and it's a perfectly normal thing that happens to all young men.

Dude, you got it all wrong, I haven't been able to call myself "young" for a very long time now

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Khizan posted:

Another sort of interesting double-standard test is opinions on the straight sex in the Kovacs books and the equally explicity gay sex in the Land Meant For Heroes books.

I respect him a lot for that!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Hedrigall posted:

I didn't make it to the second book. Please elaborate :munch:
It's been a while but I kind of remember Kovacs having sex with a male character that prefers woman's sleeve in a VR setting that allowed each other to make instantaneous cosmetic alterations to their partner at a touch while loving. or was it the rape her to save her therapy part?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 22, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Oh god, there was some of that, wasn't there? I have rescued you. It's no wonder you want to have sex with me.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

gohmak posted:

It's been a while but I kind of remember Kovacs having sex with a male character that prefers woman's sleeve in a VR setting that allowed each other to make instantaneous cosmetic alterations to their partner at a touch while loving. or was it the rape her to save her therapy part?

To be fair about that spoiler (from Broken Angels), the woman is explicitly manipulating Kovacs. Kovacs thinks she's in shock because she was in a labor camp or some such, but it's actually because she murdered a bunch of her colleagues in cold blood. She needs Kovacs help and believes sleeping with him (in virtual) will help keep him from asking too many questions.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Between Star Wars and The Martian I'm in the mood for some space stuff. Checked the first few pages of the thread and will probably be getting Relevation Space; but while I'm combing through the rest of the rather extensive thread, I thought I'd ask for recommendations.

I'm closer to Star Wars/Mass Effect "mood" than something like Asimov or Dune for the moment, so something like:

Space Stuff that Ed likes:
Mass Effect
The Dig
Star Wars
Brandon Sanderson's Firstborn

Space Stuff that Ed dislikes:
Space Racism
Space Eugenics
(these two seem to be a recurring theme with some authors from what I see in the thread)
Asimov
Dune

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Evan Currie's 'On Silver Wings' books are the first thing that popped into my head when you mentioned wanting 'Mass Effect-ey' sci-fi. The protagonist is a space marine and basically Commander Shepard.

He has another series, 'Odyssey One' which is more naval/ship centered but goes into even weirder/grander stuff.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Between Star Wars and The Martian I'm in the mood for some space stuff. Checked the first few pages of the thread and will probably be getting Relevation Space; but while I'm combing through the rest of the rather extensive thread, I thought I'd ask for recommendations.

I'm closer to Star Wars/Mass Effect "mood" than something like Asimov or Dune for the moment, so something like:

Mass Effect
The Dig
Star Wars

Space Racism
Space Eugenics
(these two seem to be a recurring theme with some authors from what I see in the thread)
Asimov
Dune

The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn. Stand alone novel written by one of the better Star Wars EU authors but his own unique galaxy.

Leviathan Wakes, yeah some people love it, some hate it but it would tick the Star Wars/Mass Effect box.

The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold. It's the third chronologically in the Vorkosigan Saga but worked well as an entry point.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ltr posted:

The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold. It's the third chronologically in the Vorkosigan Saga but worked well as an entry point.

The Vorkosigan stuff is great but I'm not sure I'd consider it to fit the 'mood' Edmond Dantes is looking for.

Still a highly recommended read, it's just not very 'actiony', even in the more action oriented books (like The Warrior's Apprentice).

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

WarLocke posted:

The Vorkosigan stuff is great but I'm not sure I'd consider it to fit the 'mood' Edmond Dantes is looking for.

Still a highly recommended read, it's just not very 'actiony', even in the more action oriented books (like The Warrior's Apprentice).

Yeah, I was boarderline on adding it, but after looking through some of the bad space related stuff I read last year, it stood out as one of better things I read.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

WarLocke posted:

Evan Currie's 'On Silver Wings' books are the first thing that popped into my head when you mentioned wanting 'Mass Effect-ey' sci-fi. The protagonist is a space marine and basically Commander Shepard.
Sounds good and it's only 1 buck, so in it goes.

ltr posted:

The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn. Stand alone novel written by one of the better Star Wars EU authors but his own unique galaxy.

Leviathan Wakes, yeah some people love it, some hate it but it would tick the Star Wars/Mass Effect box.

Yeah, I know Zahn, I was about to make a comment on the post forestalling Star Wars UE recommendations since I already read Thrawn Trilogy and the rest is crap but forgot. :v:

WarLocke posted:

I don't mind lack of action in general, so I'll add them to my to-read list alongside Zahn's stuff; right now I'm looking for something "adventury" so I think NotFemShep's adventures do the trick.

Cheers!

(if anyone has more suggestions I'd love to read them).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

(if anyone has more suggestions I'd love to read them).

I'm going to throw out a couple names that get a lot of bad press (not all of which is undeserved) but that write fun books.

David Weber's Honor Harrington books are basically a modern Horatio Hornblower (but in SPAAAACE), not nearly of the quality of some other mentions so far (like the Vorkosigan books), but you can get most of the main series in ebook form for free from the publisher itself. Most of the books aren't very action-packed in the personal sense, although there's a lot of space navy battle stuff.

Weber teamed up with Steve White to write the Starfire books, which have a paper-thin plot (fitting, since they're an adaptation of a tabletop war game) but lots of action and explosions if you want more than that.

John Ringo's Legacy of the Aldenata books are basically a story of what happens when a bunch of pacifistic aliens try to enlist humanity as a firebreak against a huge Zerg-like horde of rapacious other aliens. This one is much more action-ey, featuring hoo-ah marines in power armor versus hordes of aliens and other such silly and awesome type stuff. Be warned that Ringo is kind of an 'iffy' writer, he tends to insert some awkward pandering and borderline-offensive stuff (though this series isn't his worst; just do not read the Paladin of Shadows/Ghost books).

Ringo also wrote the Troy Rising books which are pretty loving awesome. The first one is kind of a laissez-faire capitalism thing where the protagonist makes a glorified Sun-powered death star laser and the sequels focus on the kilometers-long asteroid battle station (the eponymous Troy) guarding the gates of the solar system from alien invaders.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

WarLocke posted:

John Ringo's Legacy of the Aldenata books are basically a story of what happens when a bunch of pacifistic aliens try to enlist humanity as a firebreak against a huge Zerg-like horde of rapacious other aliens. This one is much more action-ey, featuring hoo-ah marines in power armor versus hordes of aliens and other such silly and awesome type stuff. Be warned that Ringo is kind of an 'iffy' writer, he tends to insert some awkward pandering and borderline-offensive stuff (though this series isn't his worst; just do not read the Paladin of Shadows/Ghost books).
:siren: Do not read Watch on the Rhine, :siren: a novel in this series by John Ringo and Tom Kratman.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 22, 2016

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

Mass Effect
The Dig
Star Wars

Space Racism
Space Eugenics
Asimov
Dune

For more recent works I'd suggest Saturn's Children and Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross, and the Virga series and Lockstep by Karl Schroeder.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Mass Effect
The Dig
Star Wars

Space Racism
Space Eugenics
Asimov
Dune

Someone already suggested "Leviathan Wakes", the first novel in The Expanse series. Take a look at that one, and if you get into it, go for the second one (Calibans War), which is usually regarded as the best one in the series. Three is awful, opinions are divided on four (tending to fall into the awful side), and five is quite good again.

Edit: on a second thought, the "belter" (as in "inhabitant of the asteroid belt") stuff in the Expanse could fall into that "space racism" thing.

Edit2: vvv Then you'll be fine.

Amberskin fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 23, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I took "space racism" to mean the author being racist, not that characters couldn't be racist.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks to all for the recommendations, I'll read some synopses and reviews and see what catches my eye.

Chairman Capone posted:

For more recent works I'd suggest Saturn's Children and Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross, and the Virga series and Lockstep by Karl Schroeder.
The dude from The Laundry Files? Because I started the first one and just couldn't finish it, I really didn't like it.

Amberskin posted:

Edit: on a second thought, the "belter" (as in "inhabitant of the asteroid belt") stuff in the Expanse could fall into that "space racism" thing.

Antti posted:

I took "space racism" to mean the author being racist, not that characters couldn't be racist.
Yeah, I can deal with racist characters, I just don't like the "Totally Not Nazis IN SPACE" that some authors seem to have going on.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, I know Zahn, I was about to make a comment on the post forestalling Star Wars UE recommendations since I already read Thrawn Trilogy and the rest is crap but forgot. :v:

The Icarus Hunt is by Zahn, but it's not SWEU -- most of his work is original. It's also fun as hell.

I'd also recommend the Conquerors trilogy, also by Zahn.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zahn's best sci-fi is probably Manta's Gift.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ToxicFrog posted:

The Icarus Hunt is by Zahn, but it's not SWEU -- most of his work is original. It's also fun as hell.

I'd also recommend the Conquerors trilogy, also by Zahn.

Oh, no, what I meant was that I know Zahn is good because I read Thrawn, and since I already read it SWEU recommendations would be no good since Thrawn is the only good thing to come out of there. :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xPanda posted:

Isn't he the guy who said "the sex I write is the sex I have"? If true I suppose it might put him ahead of Peter F Hamilton and the like.

Similarly, but more disturbing, the stuff in the torture scene is all taken from Amnesty International reports.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zahn's Conqueror's trilogy is pretty good. He spends a lot of time with the aliens and their society, which is always nice.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I don't think I ever finished the Revelation Space books because I remember being told the last one really poo poo the bed. Is that true?

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

pugnax posted:

I don't think I ever finished the Revelation Space books because I remember being told the last one really poo poo the bed. Is that true?

If you are thinking about "Absolution Gap", it is not at level with the other two books in the story arc (Revelation Space and Redemption Ark), but I would not say it is poo poo. Its definitely the weakest of the series, but it is still readable.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

chrisoya posted:

:siren: Do not read Watch on the Rhine, :siren: a novel in this series by John Ringo and Tom Kratman.

Yeah, all of the side stuff is iffy (the Cally's War stuff is ripe with PTSD, general gently caress-uped-ness, and there's that weird undercover coerced bondage sex right at the beginning of the first book), but WotR is the worst of them.

Ringo is a weird author; I'm almost convinced that he's not a freak himself (or if he is, he can control it) because some of his series are really hosed up and others are almost normal in comparison. It's like he's trying to write for completely different audiences.

Kratman though (who 'co-wrote' WotR) can just gently caress off however.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Amberskin posted:

If you are thinking about "Absolution Gap", it is not at level with the other two books in the story arc (Revelation Space and Redemption Ark), but I would not say it is poo poo. Its definitely the weakest of the series, but it is still readable.

It's pretty bad. It's the rare book that retroactively makes the earlier books worse, like Endymion. Reynolds spends books one and two creating an amazing hard-ish science fiction setting with a bunch of cool mysteries, and answers many of them very poorly in Absolution Gap. He also randomly shits all over the hard Sci-fi rules he'd earlier established without much explanation.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Velius posted:

It's pretty bad. It's the rare book that retroactively makes the earlier books worse, like Endymion. Reynolds spends books one and two creating an amazing hard-ish science fiction setting with a bunch of cool mysteries, and answers many of them very poorly in Absolution Gap. He also randomly shits all over the hard Sci-fi rules he'd earlier established without much explanation.

This is what I've heard from a few people and why I've never read it. I really like a lot of his other books (both in and out of that world). At this point I'd probably want to reread the first two anyway.

Sort of space opera-YA-ish but has anybody read the Red Rising books? It really scratches all my itches for military scifi with a school for badass youngsters and noble houses slugging it out for control of the solar system.

Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist

Mrfreezewarning posted:

Has anyone read The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers? I usually have a rule against self published books, but she got picked up by HarperCollins for the ebook release and while not a ton happened in it I enjoyed it more than probably any other scifi release of the last year.

It's enjoyable enough, not deep and pretty pulpy though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Long Way to a Small Planet's a really fun book. It hits some emotional points and is mostly has an attitude not unlike Indiana Jones or Firefly or something. It's got a nice group story. I enjoyed the hell out of it and will definitely read the forthcoming sequel. It's not Also sprach Zarathustra or anything, but not every book has to be.

pugnax posted:

Sort of space opera-YA-ish but has anybody read the Red Rising books? It really scratches all my itches for military scifi with a school for badass youngsters and noble houses slugging it out for control of the solar system.

People have been pretty positive about the series from what I've seen. Despite that, I've always dismissed them as yetanotherHungerGamesTwilightYAteenbullshitfantasycumromance but maybe I'll check out the first book at some point.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 24, 2016

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm closer to Star Wars/Mass Effect "mood" than something like Asimov or Dune for the moment...

I'd also suggest you try "Lieutenant Leary Commanding", by David Drake. Yes, that's the second book of the series, but if you like it then go back and read the first (some stuff got changed around between the first and second books, and Drake re-explains who the characters are in every book anyway.)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Miss-Bomarc posted:

I'd also suggest you try "Lieutenant Leary Commanding", by David Drake. Yes, that's the second book of the series, but if you like it then go back and read the first (some stuff got changed around between the first and second books, and Drake re-explains who the characters are in every book anyway.)

These books are basically Aubrey and Maturin in spaaaaaaaaaace, if that's your kind of thing.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Khizan posted:

These books are basically Aubrey and Maturin in spaaaaaaaaaace, if that's your kind of thing.
"Leary, you have debauched my treecat!"

e: gently caress that's weber

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

FuturePastNow posted:

Zahn's Conqueror's trilogy is pretty good. He spends a lot of time with the aliens and their society, which is always nice.

On the hand, I just quit reading the first book half way through. Starts out with a brief space battle then all that is thrown out the window and you just follow one family about as they do dull stuff. Sure, only of them is hanging out with the aliens, but they aren't very interesting or alien. I was so bored. It felt like I was reading a low budget BBC sci-fi show where they'd spend their entire budget on that first battle and then shot the rest of the season with just people in silver jumpsuits talking in various rooms.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

On the hand, I just quit reading the first book half way through. Starts out with a brief space battle then all that is thrown out the window and you just follow one family about as they do dull stuff. Sure, only of them is hanging out with the aliens, but they aren't very interesting or alien. I was so bored. It felt like I was reading a low budget BBC sci-fi show where they'd spend their entire budget on that first battle and then shot the rest of the season with just people in silver jumpsuits talking in various rooms.

I started with the second book, which is entirely from the alien POV, and liked it quite a bit. But I was about 12, I don't know how well it's aged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm closer to Star Wars/Mass Effect "mood" than something like Asimov or Dune for the moment

If you're still looking for recommendations, I'd take a look at Joel Shepherd's Spiral War series. They feel very much like a Mass Effect setting. Books one (Renegade) and two (Drysine Legacy) are out, and the third is due out hopefully later this year.

Quick background to the series: Earth gets blown up, nearly bringing humanity to extinction in an attempt to break us. In return, we completely exterminate the aliens that did it. Not long after, humanity and some friends go to war against the "peace-keeping" race that almost let us get exterminated. The first book begins at the end of that second war, and things are just getting started. There's some friction gathering between the two human factions; Spacers, who have the fleets and political decision making towards the other races in the galaxy, and Worlders, who have the economy, industry and the massive majority of the population. There's also growing shadows of an ancient race of malignant AI that used to rule the galaxy over twenty thousand years ago.

Joel's other sci-fi series, the two Cassandra Kresnov trilogies, doesn't quite fit what you're asking for. If you like the Spiral Wars books I'd still say give them a look, they're pretty excellent.

Cassandra Kresnov is a synthetic human with super human capabilities. She was created to be a commander of a black ops squad, but she decides she doesn't like the side she's fighting for and tries to hide and live a civilian life amongst the people she had been fighting against. Half a chapter into the first book things go to poo poo, with some well written body horror in my opinion, and she winds up helping the security forces of Callay, the planet she was hiding on. It's also got my favorite romance I've come across in sci-fi, in that finally there really isn't one even though Cassandra has a heavy appetite for sex. (I'm personally tired of every female main character in the fiction series I've read needing to have a boyfriend/husband or girlfriend/wife.) She has a boyfriend in the third book, but they've broken up for realistic reasons by the fourth. Instead she becomes a guardian for three street kids, in what I think is a very well written manner. Joel has admitted that Ghost on the Shell's Motoko Kusanagi was an inspiration behind Cassandra, if that's a selling point for you. If being tangentially related to anime/manga is the opposite of a selling point, ignore it since the series isn't at all like the main reasons people don't like that stuff, just a little bit of Cassandra's character and some of the tech stuff in the universe.

---

Speaking of female characters in sci-fi, does anyone have any good recommendations of series/books with a female main character that doesn't wind up in a long-term relationship? I'm tired of coming across it, but haven't had much luck finding anything in my admittedly very limited attempts of looking.

Onean fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 25, 2016

• Locked thread