Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deftest
May 7, 2011
The original (I think):

https://twitter.com/TheProxyGuy/status/689858444560592896

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Somehow binding them into a form that could be killed might be a reasonable climax if it was developed and built up to in a way that lent it any sort of gravitas whatsoever. Them getting killed in a small set after a large set that in turn is the first time we've seen them in several years is... not that.

Wizards tried to tap into the cosmic horror well, but they somehow completely forgot (or ignored) that one of the usual defining characteristics of cosmic horror is how punishing it is for the heroes and how rarely there's any such thing as an untainted victory.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mezzanon posted:

Isn't that pretty much exactly what happened?

at face value, the avengers brought interplanar super entities onto the plane, used bullshit to trap their real forms, and used greater bullshit to kill the 2 cosmic horrors whose mere presences invoke a mindmelting distortion of spacetime or sheer, unrelenting terror

why creative decided to go with the shittiest possible resolution to the story is beyond me

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GeneX posted:

at face value, the avengers brought interplanar super entities onto the plane, used bullshit to trap their real forms, and used greater bullshit to kill the 2 cosmic horrors whose mere presences invoke a mindmelting distortion of spacetime or sheer, unrelenting terror

why creative decided to go with the shittiest possible resolution to the story is beyond me

But hasn't creative said that the physical forms the eldrazi take on planes are like their fingers poking through since they're made out of blind eternities juice?

So when they eldrazi were imprisoned they were pretty much stuck on Zendikar, (Chinese finger trap analogy)

By wrecking those physical bodies the eldrazi are now free to go wherever they want because they're not finger locked to Zendikar anymore.

At least I thought that's how Eugene explained it to Jason.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

GeneX posted:

At the really basic Saturday-morning-cartoon levels of superhero writing, the surprisingly easy final victory over the bad guy is almost always a false beat before realizing that the heroes just hosed everything up.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GeneX posted:

Why I have no doubts Wizards creative are hacks, having this be "not a real victory" means all the Eldrazi stuff they've already done (concept art, ideas, whatever) can be easily recycled. I fully believe that Wizards creative's laziness outstrips their ability to waste a good concept.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

InterrupterJones posted:

Emrakul isn't gonna be on Innistrad anyway. She's busy being in Mercadia if the Rishadan Port promo is anything to go by.

Naw that's just this sweet upside-down MountainPlains.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

anglachel posted:

Why I have no doubts Wizards creative are hacks, having this be "not a real victory" means all the Eldrazi stuff they've already done (concept art, ideas, whatever) can be easily recycled. I fully believe that Wizards creative's laziness outstrips their ability to waste a good concept.

this is the group that brought us 3 straight stories of literally nothing but Nissa angsting over the loss of her love interest, a giant mindless walking tree

I contend that they're just bad at their jobs

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

InterrupterJones posted:

Emrakul isn't gonna be on Innistrad anyway. She's busy being in Mercadia if the Rishadan Port promo is anything to go by.

The capitol of Mercadia is built on an inverted mountain IIRC.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

InterrupterJones posted:

I have this weird nostalgia for Mercadia because it was when I learned to draft. They really hated on card advantage / good cards in the block, between spellshapers, fading, and rhystic, but it was fun to draft none-the-less. These guys were all horseshit though:

And I won a billion games on the back on this guy:

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Ancient Hydra was disgusting with the Planeshift creatures that bounced a creature when they entered play. There was even a good Standard deck built around it at the time. And Blastoderm was ridiculous back then.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Parallax Wave is the best card in all of Magic

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Masques block was weird because it had three very disjointed sets both creatively and mechanically.
1) Masques itself was kind of proto-Paliano (Daretti's city, setting of Conspiracy) and had very different goblins than normal. Fascinating plane though. Power level wise it was a HUGE step down from Urza's block, except we were still getting cards like Counterspell, Dark Ritual and Brainstorm at common. There was also a pitch/alternate costs subtheme that led to some very potent cards, notably Unmask and Invigorate. There were weird non-keyworded mechanics like Rebels, Mercenaries, and Spellshapers (which is a well Wizards goes to again and again) and some bizarre poo poo like flailing cards and Mongers
2) Nemesis had a higher power level than either of the other two sets. It introduced Fading which led to cards like Blastoderm and Ridgeback which were extremely powerful. It also continued the pitch theme. This one was set on Rath and had the whole Belbe story arc, which I remember reading as a child and being somewhat scarred by, especially the part where she fucks Ertai. It also introduced Lin-Sivvi, a card that led to possibly the most degenerate gamestates of all time.
3) Prophecy was so bottom-of-the-barrel that it drove me away from Magic for years. It took place in Jamuraa, but you could barely tell except for Jolrael finally getting a card. The Spellshaper theme continued, but the two major mechanical subthemes of the set were things your opponent could pay to stop you from doing and land sacrifice/destruction which led to phenomenally unfun gameplay. Also the power level was one of the lowest in Magic's history, it makes Born of the Gods look like New Phyrexia.

In conclusion: Masques cool set, Nemesis less cool but more powerful set, Prophecy worst set.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

anglachel posted:

Sure, but typically Tron has to hit Pyroclasm turn 2 if it wants to not lose to Infect, Burn, Boggles, Merfolk, (insert other aggro here). I'm not too familiar with the matchup but I'm willing to bet turn 2 pyroclasm is pretty critical against Green White Hate Bears too. Turn 3 is just too slow to get your board wipe effect off. Not only that but it's only good when your on the play. If your not interacting with a Aggro deck in Modern before they hit their 3rd land drop your gonna have a bad time. Merfolk will have the critical mass out by then, Burn might just flat out kill you turn 3, and will definitely kill you turn 4 if you didn't do something to slow them down during your turn 2. Infect can kill you turn 2 with a nuts hand, and is looking to have their critical mass of cards on turn 3. Boggles has already suited a boggle enough that your Return won't even kill it. Hatebears probably has you under several tax effects. It's just too slow.

I was talking out siding it into burn, not Tron, don't know if Tron can use it, for burn it kills the mirror hate, and kills etched champion and can be cast when they turn on their man lands, so it gets them as well. Can control fish if you run out of gas and let's you get a nacatyl through ground blockers. It also kills BW tokens things in response to Sorins garbage if you need to. It being instant is pretty good for burn I think.

It's kind of a last resort thing, but it's good to have in the toolbox, especially since twin got a bit slower it can kill Kiki Jiki and pestermite in one hit after activation number 1.

In my brain it has lots of utility to survive that last turn and let's you finish. I'm not sure if it will work but I will let you know.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Masques block was weird because it had three very disjointed sets both creatively and mechanically.
1) Masques itself was kind of proto-Paliano (Daretti's city, setting of Conspiracy) and had very different goblins than normal. Fascinating plane though. Power level wise it was a HUGE step down from Urza's block, except we were still getting cards like Counterspell, Dark Ritual and Brainstorm at common. There was also a pitch/alternate costs subtheme that led to some very potent cards, notably Unmask and Invigorate. There were weird non-keyworded mechanics like Rebels, Mercenaries, and Spellshapers (which is a well Wizards goes to again and again) and some bizarre poo poo like flailing cards and Mongers
2) Nemesis had a higher power level than either of the other two sets. It introduced Fading which led to cards like Blastoderm and Ridgeback which were extremely powerful. It also continued the pitch theme. This one was set on Rath and had the whole Belbe story arc, which I remember reading as a child and being somewhat scarred by, especially the part where she fucks Ertai. It also introduced Lin-Sivvi, a card that led to possibly the most degenerate gamestates of all time.
3) Prophecy was so bottom-of-the-barrel that it drove me away from Magic for years. It took place in Jamuraa, but you could barely tell except for Jolrael finally getting a card. The Spellshaper theme continued, but the two major mechanical subthemes of the set were things your opponent could pay to stop you from doing and land sacrifice/destruction which led to phenomenally unfun gameplay. Also the power level was one of the lowest in Magic's history, it makes Born of the Gods look like New Phyrexia.

In conclusion: Masques cool set, Nemesis less cool but more powerful set, Prophecy worst set.

Was there a particular reason why Paliano wasn't Mercadia instead?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

I have this weird nostalgia for Mercadia because it was when I learned to draft. They really hated on card advantage / good cards in the block, between spellshapers, fading, and rhystic, but it was fun to draft none-the-less. These guys were all horseshit though:

I maintain that Masques itself(and, to a lesser extent, Nemesis) are serviceable, albeit not great sets that get an overly bad rap for a few reasons:
1) They're between the much more powerful Urza's block and what was for a quite a while the pinnacle of Magic design in Invasion block.
2) They're associated with Prophecy, a complete garbage fire of a set whose only redeeming factors are one cool rare cycle and two rare cycles that have some cool ideas but not always executed correctly. The mechanics are miserable to play with, the cards are bad and uninspired and flavorless, it's just an awful set that has to be bottom 5 all time.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 22, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

2) They're associated with Prophecy, a complete garbage fire of a set whose only redeeming factors are one cool rare cycle and two rare cycles that have some cool ideas but not always executed correctly. The mechanics are miserable to play with, the cards are bad and uninspired and flavorless, it's just an awful set that has to be bottom 5 all time.

Rare cycle with rk post art, no less

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
prophecy also gave the world the "untapped lands are bad mechanic" which is now completely irrelevant because of the loss of mana burn

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Prophecy was cool because you put Rebel Informer into your rebels decks with no actual black mana sources

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

born on a buy you posted:

prophecy also gave the world the "untapped lands are bad mechanic" which is now completely irrelevant because of the loss of mana burn

Citadel of Pain was such a real card though in a format where Counterspell and Accumulated Knowledge were legal

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Triple posting because I just remembered they put Rising Waters and Tangle Wire in the same set lmao

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rinkles posted:

Was there a particular reason why Paliano wasn't Mercadia instead?

Creative probably just decided that this new name would sell better. Same reason Theros isn't Arkhos and Tarkir isn't Mongseng.

Either that or they just didn't want the stigma of being connected to Prophecy.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Elyv posted:

I maintain that Masques itself(and, to a lesser extent, Nemesis) are serviceable, albeit not great sets that get an overly bad rap for a few reasons:
1) They're between the much more powerful Urza's block and what was for a quite a while the pinnacle of Magic design in Invasion block.

Aren't these also the reasons the Kamigawa block gets a bad rap?

Sandwich-ed between Mirrodin (an insanely high powered block) and Ravnica (a really cool design) and one of it's sets (Saviors) is mostly trash with a handful of cool/interesting ideas/cards in it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cernunnos posted:

Sandwich-ed between Mirrodin (an insanely high powered block) and Ravnica (a really cool design) and one of it's sets (Saviors) is mostly trash with a handful of cool/interesting ideas/cards in it.

That and the assertion that what players were looking for in a japanese/asian set was the pop culture depiction, not the actual mythology turned to cardboard. Also another assertion, by Maro again, is that the names don't invoke a feeling like generic creature name, legendary creature, etc.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Confused... Is mtg creative going with "Ulamog and Kozilek are dead for good" or are they pursuing the uncharted realms "they're not dead, they're injured and free"?

I would like the second, as a desperate attempt to stall for time, and the 'poo poo eating grin Chandra' story ends up just being a taken out of context thing. Like, Jace knew it wouldn't work as an ultimate plan, but the alternative "Zendikar loses" is perceived as worse by the tiny mind mage than "Eldrazi are harder to find."

Also sets them up to fight Ulamog and Kozilek in the future. Travelling the planes keeping watch for eldrazi coruption and just never letting them feed on planes. If winning the war is not possible, just winning every battle would be not the worst compromise?

Is Kruphix good for a an eldrazi/colorless deck?

Are there any C eldrazi good for a Kruphix deck?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Creative probably just decided that this new name would sell better. Same reason Theros isn't Arkhos and Tarkir isn't Mongseng.

Either that or they just didn't want the stigma of being connected to Prophecy.

Prophecy didn't take play on mercadia :eng101:

probably they wanted dumb goblins or something

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

PleasantDirge posted:

also, Admiral that loving tromple and mointanspalk travel guide mat is killing me, please also make this a T-shirt!

Check back in 24 hours, I'll have it up!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Elyv posted:

Prophecy didn't take play on mercadia :eng101:

Never said it did.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Cernunnos posted:

The capitol of Mercadia is built on an inverted mountain IIRC.

It definitely is, but I'd still love for them to reveal that it was secretly Emrakul the whole time. Almost in the same way of the whole Kozilek and Eye of Ugin thing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

I think that's a lot of it, yeah. It's particularly unfair to Champions, in particular, which is, I think, actually a quite good set who's main fault is that there are very few cards that a very casual player could open and just add to one of their decks because it was so synergy based and, less importantly, the card names that kind of melded together. Triple Champions was both a great Draft and Sealed format. The power level of the set might have been a little low, but not laughably low; once affinity was removed from the format, lots of Kamigawa cards saw play in Standard, Top and Gifts are both cards that have had long lifespans, etc.

Betrayers...I've spent like 5 minutes trying to think about Betrayers, and the only cards I can remember from the set are Jitte and the ninjas. The Waxmane Baku cycle was from Betrayers too, I think? It's just eminently forgettable for me.

Saviors wasn't as bad as Prophecy, but like you said, it was a weak set with underwhelming mechanics that played poorly. Epic is actually kind of similar to the Winds in that it's a cool idea(although, unlike the Winds, it's a bad cool idea) but people only remember one card from the cycle(because the others were all awful)

Edit: vvv I forgot the shoals were from Betrayers vvv

Elyv fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 22, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Betrayers is also the source of both halves of Grishoalbrand's engine (Nourishing Shoul & Goryo's Vengeance), and what made Sowing Salt Modern-legal.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
When flying do you check your deck or keep it in your carry-on?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Molybdenum posted:

Don't put anything of notable value in checked luggage.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The only thing that should go into checked luggage is clothing and whatever you're willing to lose. I once had a piece of luggage go missing in a domestic flight and it took three months for it to finally get back to me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Molybdenum posted:

Carry-on, so the TSA agent who'll inevitably have to look through my belongings gets to see the anime playmat and deck boxes I placed the cards in.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Molybdenum posted:

Carry-on. It's a lot less likely to be stolen, plus they can lose your checked baggage more easily.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Plus you can't tell me that nobody has ever tried to play MtG on those little fold-down airplane tray tables during a flight.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hey got a strip mine in my prize packs from last weeks pre-release, sweet.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Gensuki posted:

Confused... Is mtg creative going with "Ulamog and Kozilek are dead for good" or are they pursuing the uncharted realms "they're not dead, they're injured and free"?

I mean without them showing up elsewhere there's no way to know for sure, I don't think anyone ever killed an Eldrazi before.

Not sure how they would beat them on another plane. The way they do it on Zendikar is, according that one card, Jace discovers a pattern of leylines that will bind the Eldrazi to Zendikar, and Nissa, with her connection to Zendikar, is able to actually trace out the leylines. I don't really know what that means, but following that logic, doing the same thing on another plane would require a denizen of the plane (maybe a nonplaneswalker?) with a connection to the plane analagous to Nissa's connection with Zendikar.

Who do you think will be the next member of the justice league? I'm guessing Liliana, they need a black protagonist, but there is no way they are reprinting Liliana of the Veil (mostly because she doesn't have the Chain Veil anymore, but also they have never reprinted a planeswalker in a story set.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lets Pickle posted:

Who do you think will be the next member of the justice league? I'm guessing Liliana, they need a black protagonist, but there is no way they are reprinting Liliana of the Veil (mostly because she doesn't have the Chain Veil anymore, but also they have never reprinted a planeswalker in a story set.)

If they want a black protagonist they're going to have to go rescue Koth.

• Locked thread