Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Digirat posted:

Yes, the blue and orange handgun and repeater handgun have unlisted penetration. Probably the biggest advantage the repeater handgun has over the brace of pistols.

Is that 100% proc chance straight through or is there a wrinkle? Because at the end of the day what matters is shooting the packrat through the elf that baited it out or putting that bullet through five slave rats into the stormvermin it's aimed at.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Digirat posted:

Good thing the repeater rifle and handgun have that too

Repeater handgun does not have armor penetration, so it will bounce off of Stormvermin.

Repeater rifle does have armor penetration

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Those are the same thing (the sgt's weapon), are you thinking of the repeater pistol for the witch hunter? For some reason "handgun" and "pistol" mean very different things in this game.

xthetenth posted:

Is that 100% proc chance straight through or is there a wrinkle? Because at the end of the day what matters is shooting the packrat through the elf that baited it out or putting that bullet through five slave rats into the stormvermin it's aimed at.

They are guaranteed to shoot through 1 rat. I'm not sure if it's possible to get the target penetration trait on them and up it to 2 rats, at least I've yet to see that appear on one of mine.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 18, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
handgun is a term for guns that were hand held gunpowder weapons that was used way back when

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
recommend against trying to play tonight, all sorts of hosed up server problems goin down. Haven't been able to complete a game yet, and I keep trying because I'm retarded or something I guess.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's people's take on Sword vs. Flaming Sword? I dropped my blue flaming sword for an orange sword a long while back and I really miss the flaming one. I don't know what its breakpoints look like at nightmare and cata, but having Regrowth on a fast swinging weapon was pretty reliable. This big-rear end thing only feels reliable when I'm doing the charged backhand swing. The charged forehand swing just so rarely hits the drat head for me.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Take the regular sword if you want a chance at decapitating rats with your wide arcing swings.

Take the flaming sword if you just want to roast them and make cool effects wherever you walk.

They are both superior to the mace.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Flaming Sword with Bloodlust is the best since 1) kills from a DoT from your staff count if the sword is equipped when the rat dies (applies to all the weapons, obviously), and 2) you can steal kills with your flame DoTs and get more healz. :twisted:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Counterpoint: you can cut the heads off bulk rats with the regular sword

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

If I need to kill bulk rats I use my master-crafted beam staff's primary fire. Now if only I could get Bloodlust on one of those...

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

If I need to kill bulk rats I use my master-crafted beam staff's primary fire. Now if only I could get Bloodlust on one of those...

I just replaced my bloodlust/stability beam staff with a slightly better one. But they're both blue.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's people's take on Sword vs. Flaming Sword? I dropped my blue flaming sword for an orange sword a long while back and I really miss the flaming one. I don't know what its breakpoints look like at nightmare and cata, but having Regrowth on a fast swinging weapon was pretty reliable. This big-rear end thing only feels reliable when I'm doing the charged backhand swing. The charged forehand swing just so rarely hits the drat head for me.

I prefer the flaming sword, as when playing the mage, cleaving through hordes of rats is not my job. Flaming sword also can do a number on Roger when popping a speed potion.

I also have an orange flaming sword with near max earthing rune on normal attack & regrowth, so I doubt I'll ever get better.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I really love the regular sword. It swings perfectly horizontal and makes it super easy to cut the heads off of rats. Unfortunately my orange sword only has healing on regular swings.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Avenging Dentist posted:

Bloodlust on the beam staff is the best. Feels good coming out of a horde event with more health than you had coming in.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Most of the levels are so nicely detailed that I would love to just wander around taking a closer look at stuff. drat shame I'm always running through them at breakneck pace. Places like the village at the end of Engines of War and parts of the wizard's tower are surprisingly well done considering the devs could have really done a lazy job and nobody would have thought much of it because they're so focused on chopping the next rat.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 21, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'd like to enjoy the graphics more except even after I got a 970, I can barely turn the graphics up before I go back to the same frame rate as my 560 because apparently it's unoptimized as hell.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

What.

What CPU do you have? I've run the game with high settings at 3440x1440 on my GTX 970.

I'd recommend seeing if some of the settings hit the CPU harder than others if your CPU is weaker or older (I've got a 4790K), and if so turn them down preferentially. Stuff like fur effects are possible contributors.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

i5 2500k quad core, but the settings I turned on to compare are mostly GPU-heavy, not CPU-heavy, like textures, antialiasing and bloom

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I just wish it didn't crash so often. Nothing worse than wrapping up a nightmare run then getting a crash report before you get the reward.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jumping back and forth between normal and beta seems to make graphics go wacky

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Digirat posted:

i5 2500k quad core, but the settings I turned on to compare are mostly GPU-heavy, not CPU-heavy, like textures, antialiasing and bloom

Huh. WTF. That makes less than no sense. What resolution are you running and what framerate are you getting? I'd still maybe think about seeing if an overclock helps, that thing is a legendary overclocker and there's a chance the rendering thread is getting starved.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Trying to relax after a stressful day by playing a few rounds of Vermintide with pubbies is like putting out a fire with kerosene. Why do I do this to myself? More importantly, why are elf players always the absolute stupidest people on the planet?

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
At one point tonight I was playing with a thickly accented Frenchman and some slurring drunk New Englander who kept making surrender and quiche jokes until the French dude quit. Then our dwarf called him "a human being racist(???)" and bailed as well.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 22, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
As a tabletop gaming nerd I've had my eye on Vermintide for a while and now that I own a new headphone/mic setup I've been thinking about giving it a try. Is rounding up a game just a simple matter of jumping on the Mumble server/Steam chat/whatever and going "hey, wanna kill all rats?" The game is still fun, right?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
They're fairly well behind on their stated schedule for post-release content, but they're not a particularly big or well-funded team so that's to be expected.

I did find an announcement regarding an upcoming patch, which should include the rest of (or one of?) the shrine features, and some quality of life improvements. And, hopefully, the sound bugs will finally be fixed!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Geight posted:

They're fairly well behind on their stated schedule for post-release content, but they're not a particularly big or well-funded team so that's to be expected.

Also, it was Christmas less than a month ago so I'm ok with them having spent time with family and poo poo instead of patching the game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Also, it was Christmas less than a month ago so I'm ok with them having spent time with family and poo poo instead of patching the game.

I'd hope that everyone would be okay with this, but then I remember, well, Gamers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

As a tabletop gaming nerd I've had my eye on Vermintide for a while and now that I own a new headphone/mic setup I've been thinking about giving it a try. Is rounding up a game just a simple matter of jumping on the Mumble server/Steam chat/whatever and going "hey, wanna kill all rats?" The game is still fun, right?

Killing rats is awesome. It's like a good, actiony WHFRP campaign as an action game.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

why are elf players always the absolute stupidest people on the planet?

I'm surprised, too. Like sure, not dwarf or soldier because their jobs lean toward crowd control, blocking (wtf is that), and lacing charge attacks in and out of range of your enemies. That's obviously for idiot noob trash and not cool guys, so no surprise there. But you'd think they'd be more drawn to Rad John Woo Akimbo Man or Designated Glass Cannon Wizard. I dunno what it is that makes so many dipshits pick the elf. (I personally find her to be the hardest one to play, which doesn't help.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

She looks like 'the sniper'. 'The sniper' is catnip to idiots.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

She's the sniper who sits on your Battlefield team for round after round doing nothing but staring down a scope on the edge of the map, ending a game with 2 kills and no objectives taken. Every time you check the scoreboard you see her sitting down there at the bottom and wonder where you could be if she was replaced by someone who played medic/support and attacked flags with you.

Then her attitude is "xbox live teenager" which appeals to a different but no less unsavory set of players.

I've played with some people who were the elf and were both very good and very pleasant to be around, but they're definitely the minority.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 22, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Okay so now my next question is that if/when (looking more like a when, may wait for that next patch if it's got some quality of life improvements) I pull the trigger what is the best way to go about dragging myself up from the level of "poo poo idiot that doesn't know how to do anything" so that I'm not on the level of John Q. Rando. Just find a group with a high newbie tolerance and dive straight in?

Actually this classchat is interesting, and the OP doesn't really have a good breakdown of how the various classes play/what they should be focusing on. Where's a good place to read up on that?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Here's what I did: play a few games on normal with different classes until I found one I was into (Bright Wizard in my case). Then I started playing with pubbies on normal until I felt like I had a handle on things, and then moved onto hard. As for playing well, there are only a few things you actually need to know:

• Stick together
  • Watch your back (and your buddies')
  • Use your mic
  • Avoiding damage (to the whole team) is usually more important than dealing damage
  • Blocking and pushing is 360° and a great idea if you're getting outnumbered

Honestly, if you just use your mic, you're already above average.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Basically, you have 2 skirmisher characters (elf and Witch Hunter) who, while playing differently, both have relatively rapid fire ranged weapons and a variety of fast melee things they can dance around with and pick off rats, 2 blockers/heavy guys (Soldier and Dwarf) who have mostly slow-firing, damaging sniper weapons and a variety of heavy melee or melee and shield stuff to use to fend off rats or sweep big groups of them, and then the wizard, who has ammo limited only by her magic buildup and a solid crowd control sweep sword but isn't the best at putting out a ton of damage on heavy foes in hand to hand. The Hunter has a bit more variety and is also a cool guy who is awesome, while the elf is more like a coked up teenager and has no actual heavy melee weapon option, just various flavors of 'fast'. Soldier and Dwarf play really similarly, save the soldier gets a fast sword and shield while the dwarf gets a heavy, armor-piercing axe and shield.

And yeah, just stick together and watch peoples' backs, and don't forget to block. Blocking defends 360 degrees and is great.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Okay so now my next question is that if/when (looking more like a when, may wait for that next patch if it's got some quality of life improvements) I pull the trigger what is the best way to go about dragging myself up from the level of "poo poo idiot that doesn't know how to do anything" so that I'm not on the level of John Q. Rando. Just find a group with a high newbie tolerance and dive straight in?

Actually this classchat is interesting, and the OP doesn't really have a good breakdown of how the various classes play/what they should be focusing on. Where's a good place to read up on that?

Everyone is awesome and fun to play (except the elf). The elf is an rear end in a top hat that all the other characters hate. You will learn to hate her too. You don't need to know anything more.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The elf is actually really fun to play and really good when someone who isn't poo poo plays her.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I'd say Bright Wizard is definitely the class to go with if you like interesting ranged weapons. All the staffs are pretty cool, have wildly different attacks, and look awesome. The fact that Sienna is usually cackling maniacally while she incinerates rats doesn't hurt either. I play the Dwarf occasionally too, since I have decent gear for him, but sword and board isn't as fun for me unless I have a good group to play with.

e: Also the best player I ever teamed up with played Elf almost exclusively.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Night10194 posted:

The elf is actually really fun to play and really good when someone who isn't poo poo plays her.

Elf spotted!

Honestly, I love playing the elf. Hate playing with the smarmy brat

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Man, cataclysm is HARD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

double post

• Locked thread