Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I actually have a pet theory that big fan favourite characters like Jotaro, Kakyoin and Rohan don't have SBRverse visual analogues like Josefumi because Araki would prefer the characters of the new universe to be the fan favourites in that. He's got a soft spot for Part 4 but its not loved the same way as SDC is outsides Rohan over there so echoing Josuke isn't quite the same thing as it would be as having say Roohann Kishibe in JoJolion, who'd probably be front and center of all advertising forever and if some dude with a hair hat shows up and a big chain, you know it's going to be him front and center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's probably just doing references as he pleases and hasn't given it much thought at all

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm actually the SBRverse Kakyoin.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

When we meet animated Kira, people on the internet will call him Daddy, and want to gently caress the bad hand man

This is already happening so much and you know it. Do I have to link the hand loving fic again

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yes.
And one where he fucks The Hand with a hand.

JJL 50 transcript
https://mangahelpers.com/t/kewl0210/releases/42222

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 21, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

This is already happening so much and you know it. Do I have to link the hand loving fic again
Look, I'm not surprised about it at all, I'm just saying that we've reached a point in time where the amount of people who want to have sex with fictional serial killer and child murderer from manga series JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yoshikage Kira, will rise sharply and that's pretty cool I guess. Thank you, David Productions.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 21, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
People falling in love with serial killers and other terrible people is nothing new.

Josef Fritzl received hundreds of love letters during his incarceration. Ted Bundy, too.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Call me when AO3 starts getting tags for stray cat fic

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Nope and JoJolion's primary translator apparently said he's not interested in translating Rohan one shots for reasons I don't believe were expanded on (not that he has to, of course) so it's just a waiting game of if/when the more part-time JoJo translators decide to pick it up.I guess JJCA's crew are probably busy with Vento when their translators have time to do JoJo stuff.

Though I choose to believe "top kek!" is how Araki wrote it.

To tell the truth, translating is actually the easiest part of the scanlation process, so for a lot of the time I'm just sitting around and wondering when the rest of the guys will finish typesetting. I'm not going to make any rash promises, but if the existing translations are as bad as you suggest, then I could at least consider writing a translation of my own. I just find tracking down raws and typesetting to be a pain in the rear end.

I dislike Kakyoin. He's the Caesar of SDC.
I do like him when he's part of MILF jokes but only then.

Here's some maximum hype from the new JoJolion.
Spoilers so click at own cost.
http://i.imgur.com/WYisb0E.jpg
Scanlators got their copy in.

Did he just send loving Sheer Heart Attack into someone's bloodstream?

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 21, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know, definitely not sure about that untagged spoiler.

[spoiler] is the tag

e: typo autocorrect

Fixed up now.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 21, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Daxing Dan posted:

I just find tracking down raws and typesetting to be a pain in the rear end.

I had them all along, it seems.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12064557/Rohan%201shot.zip

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

After opening the first page and seeing Rohan read the ingredients and expiry date of a chicken leg, I'm hooked. Thanks, and consider this to be on my list for now.

BaDandy posted:

EDIT: Anyways, I didn't see it on here yet, so here's up to Part 3 of Gold Experience Requiem. There's also this, which does a good job of demystifying Giorno's bad English translation and confirms for me that his little speeches are supposed to be similar to Jotaro's sick one liners, just...more "eloquent", I guess.

Oh man, I knew someone else was translating VA, but I hadn't read any of their stuff until very recently. I could write pages more if anyone really wanted to listen, but the short and sanitized version of my thoughts is, you should probably take anything they translate with a large grain of salt. And I'm not saying this just because I want them off my turf.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've not properly read Vento Aureo yet, and I'm looking forward to doing so, but it seems very interesting that Giorino is the one to get the final form powerup and not Diavolo. Gold Experience Requiem is the type of bullshit that DIO could only dream of (until Made in Heaven at least)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Daxing Dan posted:

Oh man, I knew someone else was translating VA, but I hadn't read any of their stuff until very recently. I could write pages more if anyone really wanted to listen, but the short and sanitized version of my thoughts is, you should probably take anything they translate with a large grain of salt. And I'm not saying this just because I want them off my turf.

Yeah, I noticed there was a bit of a tone difference with some characters when I read the different versions of the first couple Baby Face chapters. Or maybe not tone, but word choice? Thanks for giving the heads up, though, what you're doing is God's gift.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I've not properly read Vento Aureo yet, and I'm looking forward to doing so, but it seems very interesting that Giorino is the one to get the final form powerup and not Diavolo. Gold Experience Requiem is the type of bullshit that DIO could only dream of (until Made in Heaven at least)

GER and why it happens makes a ton of sense when you think about DIO's whole "muda muda" M.O. It isn't something he says for fun, but the short version is that Dio's main way of fighting you (if you aren't a Joestar) is to convince you to not fight him, like how it's useless to fight fate, which is what DIO represents.

GER is basically the logical conclusion of that and it's the number one indication that Giorno is DIO's son first, even if Giorno isn't fully aware of the extent of its power. With him, though, it's used more in a way that Jonathan or Jotaro would use it, while DIO would use it to throw his weight around. That's how I interpreted GER, anyway.

Plus King Crimson's tiny face goes flying off and it's really funny.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
I am so hype for the new JJL!

Daxing Dan posted:

If you're not uncomfortable talking about this on a more or less public forum, I'd be interested to read those "pages more." I had a look at those GER chapters and thought the phrasing was a little off in some panels--not translation-wise (because I can't judge against anything but the old crap scans and the French version which obviously takes some liberties for localization), but just as statements in what should be natural sounding English. I felt that way about some of the earlier stuff that person was posting, but tone is pretty hard to nail down and at least they're better than the old scans.

Anyway, Daxing Dan, you'd be my hero if you did take up those raws and give a proper translation! If I still had access to Photoshop I'd even offer to typeset it: I've done that kind of work before, and I've been holding off reading it till there's a version without meme garbage. But instead I'm just gonna wait for some kind person to come along and do it. e: gently caress it, if you're serious about translating it and can't find anyone else who's more qualified to do the cleanup/lettering, I'll do that part as a weekend[-ish] project. It actually looks pretty straightforward: not a lot of text outside speech balloons that would require a ton of cleaning. Honestly, half the reason why I hand-letter things of my own is that working with text in Manga Studio/CSP is a pain in the rear end.

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 22, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GOOD!

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

BaDandy posted:

Yeah, I noticed there was a bit of a tone difference with some characters when I read the different versions of the first couple Baby Face chapters. Or maybe not tone, but word choice? Thanks for giving the heads up, though, what you're doing is God's gift.

GER and why it happens makes a ton of sense when you think about DIO's whole "muda muda" M.O. It isn't something he says for fun, but the short version is that Dio's main way of fighting you (if you aren't a Joestar) is to convince you to not fight him, like how it's useless to fight fate, which is what DIO represents.

GER is basically the logical conclusion of that and it's the number one indication that Giorno is DIO's son first, even if Giorno isn't fully aware of the extent of its power. With him, though, it's used more in a way that Jonathan or Jotaro would use it, while DIO would use it to throw his weight around. That's how I interpreted GER, anyway.

Plus King Crimson's tiny face goes flying off and it's really funny.

Amaryllis posted:

I am so hype for the new JJL!

If you're not uncomfortable talking about this on a more or less public forum, I'd be interested to read those "pages more." I had a look at those GER chapters and thought the phrasing was a little off in some panels--not translation-wise (because I can't judge against anything but the old crap scans and the French version which obviously takes some liberties for localization), but just as statements in what should be natural sounding English. I felt that way about some of the earlier stuff that person was posting, but tone is pretty hard to nail down and at least they're better than the old scans.

Anyway, Daxing Dan, you'd be my hero if you did take up those raws and give a proper translation! If I still had access to Photoshop I'd even offer to typeset it: I've done that kind of work before, and I've been holding off reading it till there's a version without meme garbage. But instead I'm just gonna wait for some kind person to come along and do it. e: gently caress it, if you're serious about translating it and can't find anyone else who's more qualified to do the cleanup/lettering, I'll do that part as a weekend[-ish] project. It actually looks pretty straightforward: not a lot of text outside speech balloons that would require a ton of cleaning. Honestly, half the reason why I hand-letter things of my own is that working with text in Manga Studio/CSP is a pain in the rear end.

Well, good news is someone from JJCA let me know he was more than happy to help with the typesetting. I've already written up a first-draft script and sent it in to him, so fingers crossed that we'll see results soon.

Now, I'd be happy to elaborate more on this translation talk, but I should mention that the views I express are solely my own, and I don't claim to speak for the JJCA team as a whole, or any of its members. Some of this may sound harsh, but I know from experience that sucking at translating is the first step to being kinda good at translating. If at some point in the future they get their act together, that's great news.

Anyway, as far as my assessment of DM's translation goes, I don't think their biggest issue is with tone or word choice, as you guys mentioned. But, English was always my worst subject, so maybe I'm not one to judge anyway. Rather, the issue to me seems to be that they have too much enthusiasm and not enough expertise. As such, their translation contains errors. Frequent errors, glaring errors, errors that betray a critical lack of understanding of the Japanese language, and errors that turn into significant rewrites of plot points. And all of this is done while they bill themselves as being "Better than the old translation." Well, to put it bluntly, that's true in the sense that I would rather eat a rat turd than a dog turd. But, given the option, I'd rather be eating no turds at all. Making matters worse, they have the production values to give off the outer appearance of a reputable, high-quality operation, and unless you actually know Japanese, you're gonna have a hard time figuring out that they're pulling their script out of their own rear end.

If we want to go through this point by point, we'll be here for a long time, so for now, I'll just offer a bit of analysis on some of my top picks. This might not make much sense if you never learned Japanese, so I'm sorry in advance if it goes over your heads.

Exhibit 1, from White Album, Part 4
DM Translation: If you use the same trick, you won't get through him again!
Mine: He won't be fooled twice by the same trick!
Japanese: やつには今との同じ手はもう通じません!(Yasu ni wa ima to no onaji te wa mou tsuujimasen!)
Commentary: This seems to be like someone is a bit too reliant on their dictionary. If you look up "tsuujimasen" in your Japanese-English dictionary, you'll find that two of its definitions would be the negative forms of "to pass" or "to go through". What your dictionary won't tell you is that it means that not in a literal, physical sense, but rather the figurative sense. You use the verb "tsuujimasen" in cases like "I tried to to discuss it with my boss, but he was so stubborn that I couldn't get through to him at all." "Tsuujimasen" can also mean "to be ineffective", which is the proper meaning here. I'm not going to deny that Rikaichan and the like are useful tools to have, but when you need to comprehend a word you don't know, you should really check with an actual Japanese dictionary. It really helps to read the definitions of words written in Japanese, and to see example sentences.

Exhibit 2, from White Album, Part 5
DM Translation: Those... 10 m-minutes would've been enough to hide it...
Mine: I had time... more than enough time to hide...
Japanese: 時間は・・・あった・・・ 身を隠す時間は十分にあった・・・ (Jikan wa... atta... Mi wo kakusu jikan wa juubun ni atta...)
Commentary: Here, they confuse "juubun" (sufficient) with "juppun" (ten minutes). Both are written with the same kanji (十分), but Jojo has furigana captioning so that's no excuse. Were they were in a rush and just skimmed over that line? Everyone makes little mistakes even when they know better, but when their mistakes are so frequent, I'm less willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. In context, "10 minutes" clearly doesn't make any sense anyway, since taking a bolt to the face put Ghiaccio out of action for maybe a few dozen seconds at most, not several minutes.

Exhibit 3, from White Album, Part 1
DM Translation: They say things like The Merchant of Venice, To See Venice and Die...
Mine: There's The Merchant of Venice, and Death in Venice...
Japanese: 「ベニスの商人」とか「ベニスに死す」とかよォー (Benisu no Shounin toka Benisu ni Shisu toka yo...)
Commentary: Relevant: Google search results for "Benisu ni Shisu" What the gently caress is "To See Venice and Die"? When it's in a list next to "The Merchant of Venice", why wouldn't you assume it might also be the title of something?

Exhibit 4, from Gold Experience Requiem, Part 2 (1, 2)
My translation (1,2)
Commentary: If you compare the two you'll find there's a huge discrepancy, especially when GER starts talking. It's all so wrong that it almost makes me question whether they actually had a translator working off the original script. It's almost as if they had no knowledge of Japanese grammar, and just threw the keywords into a machine translator and guessed how to arrange the output. Here, GER's spiel is butchered into something about how nobody can twist fate to change absolute truth or some garbage, when that is actually almost the exact opposite of what's going on.
As the actual script goes, Diavolo's predictions always show a perfectly accurate, truthful depiction of the future. He sees himself killing Giorno with KC, so Giorno is fated to die by Diavolo's hand, guaranteed. This is the "truth" that GER mentions, and he tells Diavolo that he will never be able to reach this "truth" and let it play out. So, in fact, it is Giorno himself who manages to violate fate and basically retcon his own death. Don't even get me started on how they turned "I shall not even give you the time to regret your own death" into "Once you're dead, you won't be able to regret your actions!"

I hope I'm not coming off as territorial grouch (but after writing so much on the subject, maybe that's wishful thinking). I mean, I'd be thrilled if I woke up tomorrow and five dozen groups all released excellent scanlations of Vento Aureo overnight, since that's great for the people who have been waiting years to read a proper translation of VA, and it's also great for me because I don't need to work anymore. But, for now, this is not one of those groups. In closing, I take bootleg comics translations extremely seriously.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The new JoJolion is out

Killer Queen is looking stylish

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Good to see Josuke's mom is canonically bomb even in this universe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Josefumi's stand looks like Soft and Wet, not Crazy D. Araki ya hosed up.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Josefumi's stand looks like Soft and Wet, not Crazy D. Araki ya hosed up.

I'm kinda sad because I really wanted Crazy D and I don't think it was too outrageous to hope for given Killer Queen but if the resemblance is closer to what Soft & Wet is then I like it because I want to feel like Gappy's more Josefumi than he is Kira, somehow. Nyah.

LOVED the backstory with Josefumi but listen it's hardly going to be a surprise to anyone that I already love Josefumi, period. It's the pomp. Even the waffle shirt's growing on me.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wait, I only saw its face, did we see his stand more clearly on another page?

Those divorce papers, I'm still going with Joseph being the real daddy.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wait, I only saw its face, did we see his stand more clearly on another page?

Not really, no. So it could still be closer to Crazy D somehow but that face was pretty S&W-ish. Given Killer Queen I figured we might actually end up with something that was the spitting image of Crazy D, but that's not happenin'

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I got in trouble because I got the Mom's mixed up, shame on them for giving Josefume's Mom blonde hair like Holly (I think I got that right)

I'm going have to have someone explain to me who Josefumi's Mom is, Who Kira's Mom is and Who Holly is just for the sake of review.

Also

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

holly is kira's and kyo's (kira's sister) mom

i dunno if josefumi's mom will be named or if she's gonna be important

e: well, family ties are pretty important so i'm sure she might be elaborated on a little but who knows

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wait, so, does both killer queen and josefumi's stand use bubbles???

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I know it's only been two chapters but Araki's really been knocking this flashback arc out of the park. Usually it's no big deal for me to wait a month between chapters but I wanna know what happens next right now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Johnny Joestar posted:

wait, so, does both killer queen and josefumi's stand use bubbles???

I'm betting Josefumi somehow even has the Stand because Kira saved his life with Killer Queen. Kind of like main universe Josuke getting his Stand from when he was deathly ill as a kid.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He got brained underwater in Morioh. He almost certainly got his stand from the walleyes while they were underwater before the earthquake. Yasuho and Joshuu got their stands because of the bites from near them.

Even though the wiki is dumb and bad and insists otherwise, we have known Josuke's other half had a bubble stand long before we knew Josefumi because it makes a point of saying his bubbles are even joined in the middle, and unevenly so at that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i get the feeling that the appearance of josefumi's full stand might be important because if it wasn't then chances are we would have seen it by now and not just gotten the barest glimpse of its face which very much looks like S&W. if his stand just looks like S&W then what would be the point of hiding it?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Josefume's Mom seemed sick like chronic headaches kind of sick, that's how I deciphered her grabbing the float ring.

Just double checking if that nurse is Holly because that's such a drastic change, for goodness sake nurse Holly isn't wearing any hats with her name on them.
Going back a bajillion chapters to Holly's introductions where they said she's missing like gaping holes of her brain, what could have gone on there now that we got some peeks into the past

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i get the feeling that the appearance of josefumi's full stand might be important because if it wasn't then chances are we would have seen it by now and not just gotten the barest glimpse of its face which very much looks like S&W. if his stand just looks like S&W then what would be the point of hiding it?

What are you asking for? Soft and Wet's head on a 8 pack Punch Ghost?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yes

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Johnny Joestar posted:

It's definitely a big deal that we only saw a part of it. I don't necessarily think it looks just like S&W but it's clearly not going to be a straight up Crazy D ripoff. Could still be close, could be something totally different that's going to be a big loving deal somehow. Can't wait to see it.

I know folks are less worried about spoilers once it actually comes out (I refuse to look at raws/summaries in advance so I appreciate spoilers for JJL up until the translations are out) but I'll keep spoiler user up for a bit longer just to be safe :)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

It's definitely a big deal that we only saw a part of it. I don't necessarily think it looks just like S&W but it's clearly not going to be a straight up Crazy D ripoff. Could still be close, could be something totally different that's going to be a big loving deal somehow. Can't wait to see it.

I know folks are less worried about spoilers once it actually comes out (I refuse to look at raws/summaries in advance so I appreciate spoilers for JJL up until the translations are out) but I'll keep spoiler user up for a bit longer just to be safe :)

maybe it's just me but the face preview in that little panel made it look like that face had some weird...depression to the sides of the stand's eyes? it also might be just the angle but the face looks 'flatter'. also i just realized that there's no weird side ear things depicted in that panel. overall the eyes look more sunken in than they are with S&W.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think i was expecting josefumi to just have a heavily crazy diamond-inspired stand as it is because he's a bit more of his own person than kira 'literally has the same name' yoshikage. josefumi is more of a mishmash of others with a heavy influence of josuke, so his stand being different would make sense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Doesn't look like Kujo + Wet has Soft + Wet's ears, so he looks like a bullet vibe.

I want Soft + Wet to start shooting Sheer Heart Attacks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's like a 50% chance of us seeing josefumi's full stand next chapter and between the flashback and the situation in higashikata household i'm really mad that we have to wait another month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Araki's going to cut it to Mitsuba Higashikata going shopping for beetle warmers.