Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Recten is cooler than the Penelope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sorry, but I just think it's a little tiring to hear curdistan jump in every time about how every gundam design is poo poo and how [suit] is so "elegant and simple". It just seems like another way of saying boring, and needlessly inflammatory for a thread about said gundams.

Gundam as a franchise is about a whole lot more than Gundams themselves, and while I like them, I've seen plenty of fans that aren't big on conventional Gundam designs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hey, it's completely possible for Gundams to be elegant and interesting to look at without a bunch of extraneous kibble. Just look at the Victory-2 or Turn A.

The G-Lucifer is pretty lovely, too. :can:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm a bit of a hypocrite about it, because I like the traditional Gundam design, while also being happy when they deviate from it. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to robot designs in general though

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Droyer posted:

I'm a bit of a hypocrite about it, because I like the traditional Gundam design, while also being happy when they deviate from it. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to robot designs in general though

This is honestly the way I am, in a lot of ways. I could probably count off the main suit designs I don't like on one hand, and in general, I'm super easy to please. For every Xi or Hyzenthlay-Rah, there's like two much more traditional designs I love too. Even Destiny suits, despite my better judgement with some of them. I love the poo poo out of all the Unicorns, and most recently there's the Gusion, which for all I shittalk curvy suits, god drat do I love that fatbot.

I just love spiky suits more, but really, there's so little I don't like that it's kind of just different levels of how awesome I think most everything is.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Generally in Gundam the more "tactical" a suit looks the more I tend to dislike it. Looking at a lot of Advance of Zeta suits just leaves me cold because most of them look like they took an existing design and bolted a fuckload of dumb ugly poo poo to it. It reminds me of when you see pictures of rednecks at a shooting range with tactical night scopes and laser pointers and bayonet lugs and flashlights stuck to their rifle.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't like the Gundam samurai head/V-fin/beard (GM heads are way cooler) and the red/white/blue/yellow colour scheme which tends to make them look like cheap 80s toys. There isn't a single UC Gundam design that wouldn't be improved by replacing the head with a Cold Districts/Command/C/Kai/Jegan/Jesta head, and every red-white-blue-yellow mech except the Turn-A would look better with fewer/less primary colours. :colbert:

The "this Gundam is more advanced because it has a spikier backpack, bigger wings and/or more guns strapped to it" approach to design is bad, but fortunately, it's mostly a Seed thing.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

and how [suit] is so "elegant and simple".

I don't remember ever saying that.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 20, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

playing with .webms and converting old videos I'd downloaded
https://jii.moe/NkoQfnude.webm
(open in a new tab and unmute)

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 20, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I was expecting MC Hammer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I don't like the Gundam samurai head/V-fin/beard (GM heads are way cooler) and the red/white/blue/yellow colour scheme which tends to make them look like cheap 80s toys. There isn't a single UC Gundam design that wouldn't be improved by replacing the head with a Cold Districts/Command/C/Kai/Jegan/Jesta head, and every red-white-blue-yellow mech except the Turn-A would look better with fewer/less primary colours. :colbert:

Counterpoint: the muted off-white Ez8 and RX-79 Ground Types.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Counterpoint: the muted off-white Ez8 and RX-79 Ground Types.

Literally a RX-79G made to look way cooler by replacing the Gundam head with a GM head. :colbert:

e; vv :yikes:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 20, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There isn't a single UC Gundam design that wouldn't be improved by replacing the head with a Cold Districts/Command/C/Kai/Jegan/Jesta head

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So where's our goddamn MG Woundwort?

Edit: Oh and since it's on-topic

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 20, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The zeta's and the v2's head are things of beauty you shut your dirty mouth.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i love the typical Gundam head design. it's the white/blue/red/yellow color scheme that is bad and boring.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

It's it just me, or does that thing's head look a little bit :downs:?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's no way the GP-02 is improved with a GM head, come on.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

dogsicle posted:

i love the typical Gundam head design. it's the white/blue/red/yellow color scheme that is bad and boring.

I'm pretty sick of most RX-78-2-based Gundams, but ditching the parade colour scheme makes for immediate wild improvements.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Super Fumitan

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

when will we get MS Boys, Bandai?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

boom boom boom posted:

Super Fumitan

:captainpop:

:yeah:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

when will we get MS Boys, Bandai?
You'd think Setsuna would have helped usher that in, but nope.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I really should stop watching these Zeta episode previews because of how spoilery they've been getting but I can't get enough of how angry the dub narrator sounds at the end of each one

"You will see the tears of time!" :argh:

It's like he's threatening me

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I just finished episode 8 of ZZ. Am I supposed to like Judau? Because I don't. I find it difficult to like any of these characters.

I'm wondering if ZZ is going to turn around at some point or if I'm going to find the whole show this unenjoyable.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Xinder posted:

I just finished episode 8 of ZZ. Am I supposed to like Judau? Because I don't. I find it difficult to like any of these characters.

I'm wondering if ZZ is going to turn around at some point or if I'm going to find the whole show this unenjoyable.

I got to Moon Moon and just gave up. I had zero interest.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like if dumb sitcom antics in space isn't working for you, then I don't think seeing those idiot kids try to handle heavy poo poo is going to entertain you much.

I fuckin loved dumb sitcom antics in space

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Xinder posted:

I liked Elle and that's about it.

You're going to hate Beecha and Mondo once they finally leave the colony.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everybody hates Beecha.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
The worst part of this is that I'm starting to like Bright less. His character seems to be weakened from "hardass who isn't afraid to smack a bitch to get things done" to a complete pushover. He lets Judau get away with so much that Amuro or Kamille would have gotten a "correction" across the face for.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Xinder posted:

The worst part of this is that I'm starting to like Bright less. His character seems to be weakened from "hardass who isn't afraid to smack a bitch to get things done" to a complete pushover. He lets Judau get away with so much that Amuro or Kamille would have gotten a "correction" across the face for.

I think it's pretty neat to see that he has actively gotten burned out and stopped giving any fucks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I think it's pretty neat to see that he has actively gotten burned out and stopped giving any fucks

By ZZ he just completely gives up and it's kind of funny in a sad way. Keep on not ridin' that rainbow.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dangerous Person posted:

I really should stop watching these Zeta episode previews because of how spoilery they've been getting but I can't get enough of how angry the dub narrator sounds at the end of each one

"You will see the tears of time!" :argh:

It's like he's threatening me

I loved the intro with the soul definitely not a peace. Shame it's not on youtube.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I also prefer it when the adult characters don't beat up on the kids.

Bright is kind of an rear end in a top hat for other reasons in ZZ though

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pureauthor posted:

He really wants to bang that chick.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Got to watch a bunch more Zeta. Holy crap Kamille's dad is a total shithead. That whole family was a mess! :psyduck:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When people say Kamille was one day away from becoming a school shooter at the start of Zeta, it's not actually a joke.

Joining the hosed up space war actually did him a lot of good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Judau is actually cool because he is not interested in the slightest in fighting anybody. It's all about the money for him, and supporting his friends/family. Takes a while before things get personal for him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Xinder posted:

You need to remember that Bright and the Argama bridge crew are going into ZZ straight off the back of the apocalyptic doom war at the end of Zeta. The series takes place like two weeks after the end of Zeta. Bright has seen a lot of good people die, vanish, or be permanently crippled fighting a long and agonizing war against the Titans and his reward for all of this death and hardship is to realize he immediately has to start from scratch and begin fighting a brand new war against a brand new enemy, except this time he has even fewer resources to work with because the AEUG was basically totally destroyed. It's also possible that he's beginning to realize that no matter how many wars he fights, the "good guys" are never going to win in his lifetime and there will always be a new fuckhead to deal with.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also gave this one some thought, because oh my god am I really making another effort post about robots

yes, yes I am

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sorry, but I just think it's a little tiring to hear curdistan jump in every time about how every gundam design is poo poo and how [suit] is so "elegant and simple". It just seems like another way of saying boring, and needlessly inflammatory for a thread about said gundams.

I don't even know where this spikiness = samey thing came from. To go with the Moriki example from earlier, comparing a suit like Zeorymer to Xardion or Penelope, you get a drastically different silhouette in each, and most importantly, they're interesting. Having detail layered under detail so a different angle shows off stuff that was previously hidden is so much more engaging to look at and notice stuff you didn't see before.

Unfortunately, the downside to that is there's no way it can possibly be animated, at least not until 3D modelling takes another dozen leaps forward or so in ease of use and the ability to blend into a show. Even in the 90's animation budget glut, a show like Silent Mobius couldn't handle animating Moriki's stuff, and those were some of the more organic designs he's done.

I'm pretty sure I'm the one who tends to describe some of the simpler suits as "elegant" in the Gundam threads. Usually because I'm talking about either the Unicorn or the Turn A, and that's because they are. I will

I guess every thread has its old beefs, but "I don't really like how Gundams look" isn't exactly fighting words even in a Gundam thread. There's not a lot of games in town if you want giant robot action and I personally am kind of lukewarm on the whole hero Gundam aesthetic. It's why I prefer either the archetypical modern Gundam, the Mk2, simple-silhouette but high detail suits like the Unicorn, or coherent yet distinct like the Turn A. I've always been a fan of grunt suits more, some more than others, as that's usually where an artist gets to show off their real design chops. Grunts usually have to be more restrained and less ostentatious than Gundams or MAs as a matter of course, but they're free from the design guidelines that would limit it to being recognizably a "Gundam."

Now, there's no accounting for personal taste. Like, you don't like any of the suits in G-reco while I quite like the MSes in that show quite a lot. (The Grimoire especially was an instant winner, and it's almost a shame it was made for a show that wound up being so divisive.) You're a fan of Yasuhiro Moriki while I think his stuff's hit or miss. I respect the Zeorymer, it's relatively disciplined compared to the other examples you gave and it's got clear through-lines to guide the eye toward the spikes while being recognizably Eighties As gently caress in a good way. It's got a cleaner silhouette and the detailing is broad and bombastic, in an edgy super robot sort of way (and there's nothing necessarily wrong with a bit of edginess here and there). The Xardion on the other hand has so much detail but so little direction to guide it that it looks like a jumbled mess, so I wouldn't call it interesting except in a morbid sense. And don't be offended by me saying this because it's just my personal take, but to me the Penelope Gundam looks almost embarrassed to be a Gundam, as it clearly would prefer to be a dragon spaceship. Not mentioned but worth discussing is the Xi. Which honestly does look a lot like the Xardion to the point that I'm guessing it's intentional.

Now the Woundwort was by another artist entirely but the base suit also looks like something that's almost afraid to be a Gundam, as though Fujioka Kenki wishes he didn't have to pay lip service to Gundam-type features in what's otherwise a sleek and unique core design. The variant kits are also of the "I'd rather be a spaceship" school of design but they all look like cool, high-detail spaceships without being too busy, even if they all look better in their MA forms. Except for the one with a big booster unit and way too many fins, that's just silly. Nevermind that all of the Advance of Zeta suits look hilariously out-of-place, which is par for the course in "let's keep rehashing early UC" sidestories.

Obviously, spikiness isn't boring as an intrinsic quality per se, but spikiness as a source of complaints with regards to Gundams is easy enough to explain. Because it's actually about backpacks. Backpacks with fins, verniers, guns, etc. And all of the model kits and kitbashes that just take that aesthetic and run with it right off a cliff. I'm actually pleased that there's so many people who are as unimpressed with the spiky backpack look as I am, because after seeing a couple dozen of those trotted out I've grown largely numb to their appeal. That is to say, I used to be impressed by them as much as some people still are. I was younger then, and oversaturation hadn't kicked in. The backlash against this school of design isn't a universal thing, obviously, but it's a change in the conversation. And there's no helping if this means there's more people who openly dislike an aesthetic you do like, but if you're getting frustrated or feeling inflamed by it then you might want to step back and just agree to disagree.

Otherwise you might decide to start poo poo for... reasons I guess. Like I've seen you post around and I get the feeling you feel poo poo really passionately. To the point where you can't empathize with people who might not be as enthusiastic as you are about certain things, and just assuming they're "fronting" or just being aloof hipsters as opposed to, simply, people who just aren't as enthusiastic as you. Like I get it, you're energetic, enthusiastic, and get hype about stuff you enjoy. I get that.

You just don't have to take it personally when somebody else isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think regarding the comment being inflammatory I think it's important to remember that it's not a thread about Gundams

It's a thread about the shows that said Gundams are in

An important distinction!