Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Question about the Darkest Dungeon; Do I need to keep these talismans past mission 2? I assumed those templars would show up again but I just suffered through part of mission 3 and didn't see one. That mission kicked my rear end so I'm hoping I can spend a trinket slot on something that actually works rather than those useless things.

You know whats not fun? Watching your occultist heal for 0-2 5 turns in a row. I'm kind of glad he's the one that died ensuring the rest of my team escaped because he deserved it after that sorry performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
why does a blacksmith even need deeds?

is he busting up old houses for raw materials? does he use the paper as kindling to start his fires?

it is a mystery

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

red plastic cup posted:

is he busting up old houses for raw materials? does he use the paper as kindling to start his fires?

it is a mystery

for that matter why dont the cars in gta run out of gas?

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
me (extremely smart): hrm, i can understand a tavern wanting to hang up paintings on their walls, and a sanitarium might like a few stone busts if they were of famous doctors or philosophers. but why on earth would a blacksmith need building deeds to expand and refine his business?
Afraid of Audio: uhhh buhh its a video game
me: ...

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
They're land grants we give to the Blacksmith as bribes to keep him appeased while all the weapons and armor he forges become decorations for the hundreds of corpses strewn across the Estate.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

They're land grants we give to the Blacksmith as bribes to keep him appeased while all the weapons and armor he forges become decorations for the hundreds of corpses strewn across the Estate.

"I dunno... if they're really disposable, there's no sense in firing up the furna-"

"I'll give you a beach house in Malibu."

"BRING THE WEAPONS FORTH, THEY MUST BE REINFORCED."

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

red plastic cup posted:

me (extremely smart): hrm, i can understand a tavern wanting to hang up paintings on their walls, and a sanitarium might like a few stone busts if they were of famous doctors or philosophers. but why on earth would a blacksmith need building deeds to expand and refine his business?

me: its a video game

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
e:^^^^ Maybe there's a severe toilet paper shortage and the blacksmith has the runs?

FreeKillB posted:

I had thought that when I did this in EA days I had somewhat better upgrades, so that switching Veteran->Champion was less rocky than Apprentice->Veteran.

So, uh, this isn't really the case anymore. I didn't lose anyone, but I got two afflictions and only won the mission because scouting let me skip 2 encounters. I guess I'm going to shelve some of my +stress% trinkets in Champion dungeons until my guys are better at hitting things. At least I will feel like my investment into the abbey/sanitarium isn't going to waste any more! (Not so bad when I was worried that I'd be saying 'At least I have some more roster space now')

e2: Also I got hella dosh for a short dungeon. Champion dungeons have phat lewt y'all.

e3:VVVVVVVV Now all you need is to do that roughly four or five more times.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 22, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I just got forty deeds from a level 1 medium run what's the problem?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Question about the Darkest Dungeon; Do I need to keep these talismans past mission 2? I assumed those templars would show up again but I just suffered through part of mission 3 and didn't see one. That mission kicked my rear end so I'm hoping I can spend a trinket slot on something that actually works rather than those useless things.

You know whats not fun? Watching your occultist heal for 0-2 5 turns in a row. I'm kind of glad he's the one that died ensuring the rest of my team escaped because he deserved it after that sorry performance.

Nope, you don't need them. Don't be freaked out if you do run into a templar, because the ones in mission 3 are weaker, only have 1 move a turn, and I'm pretty sure they don't do Revelation at all.

red plastic cup posted:

Do you know how many fuckin priceless deeds it takes to heat a forge enough to soften iron?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rascyc posted:

I just got forty deeds from a level 1 medium run what's the problem?

I did the same and got four.

It was honestly a weird run. Every bag was looted, every crate was empty. There was simply nothing to get. It didn't even have many fights.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bit late to the party but trip report from my first Darkest Dungeon expedition, which I went into blind with Vestal-Highwayman-Crusader-Hellion: Holy poo poo the Cove has nothing on the bleeds in here. Bring all the bleed resist, all the bandages. Also that's a lot of stress, god drat. All four of my party hit 100 stress, luckily the first three went virtuous :black101: or I don't think I could have finished it. Took the boss down and all four made it back alive. Where the gently caress is all the loot though, I only found one bag with a couple of gems.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol I love how this was predicated right after you turned off things for an easier time.
welcome to the jungle, he's a real fucker. I wiped half a team thinking "what could go wrong!?"

I go into every Shambler fight thinking "this is gonna go absolutely horribly" and I've killed all three I've faced (once surprised during a dark run) without any losses. So just hope for the worst!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gabriel Pope posted:

Nope, you don't need them. Don't be freaked out if you do run into a templar, because the ones in mission 3 are weaker, only have 1 move a turn, and I'm pretty sure they don't do Revelation at all.

Oh, that's kind of rude of the game too make me think I needed too keep those on for the rest of the dungeons :v:

Still small consolation given how badly I botched that mission. I didn't even think my team comp was that bad either. We just got utterly wrecked.

Wafflecopper posted:

Bit late to the party but trip report from my first Darkest Dungeon expedition, which I went into blind with Vestal-Highwayman-Crusader-Hellion: Holy poo poo the Cove has nothing on the bleeds in here. Bring all the bleed resist, all the bandages. Also that's a lot of stress, god drat. All four of my party hit 100 stress, luckily the first three went virtuous :black101: or I don't think I could have finished it. Took the boss down and all four made it back alive. Where the gently caress is all the loot though, I only found one bag with a couple of gems.

There's no normal loot in the darkest dungeons because they aren't normal dungeon runs. Which makes it kind of amusing when your heroes go "I bet there's treasure ahead! :downs:" even though its clear that the dungeon holds nothing but pain and misery. And flesh. So much flesh. :gonk:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
On the topic of upgrading buildings: I like to think that the need for crests/busts/portraits/deeds is about giving some vague air of legitimacy to the Hamlet's existence, more than anything else.

When we first show up at the Hamlet at the start of the game, it's a deserted ruin, and there's no reason it shouldn't stay that way -- the entire Estate is a cursed, corrupted hellscape crawling with bandits, zombies, and things that make bandits and zombies seem like pleasant company. The Tavern re-opens as a barely functioning fly-by-night, and the Abbey only accepts visitors if they're bringing vast amounts of money. Each other building in the Hamlet opens in similar condition, with a few boards nailed over the biggest holes in the roof and just enough reclaimed interior spaces for the place to be called usable. Then, they stay that way until the player character provides the building's owner with enough heirloom items.

All the heirloom items represent what the player character's noble lineage once was. The crests were granted by royalty in recognition of great things the noble house did; the deeds represent proof of the many land grants that the house was showered with; the busts and portraits depict respectable members of the house who lived during its better days. There's no reason these things would be needed to upgrade the buildings, unless the building owners didn't want to make any repairs or renovations until they were presented with these things.

How I interpret all of this is that the Hamlet was re-settled in secret by a bunch of profiteering assholes who're afraid of getting arrested, disgraced, and/or lynched if their name is in any way associated with the Estate and the shitstorms it was witness to during the reign of the Ancestor. The heirlooms are something for the tavernkeep, the abbot, the guildmaster, and so forth to hide behind when their presence at the Hamlet is called into question -- as they're given more and more proof of the Estate's former nobility, they're able to operate more and more in the open, and gradually divorce themselves from the stigma of doing business amid the filth that the Ancestor left behind. Of course, they still have to deal with actually doing business amid the Ancestor's filth, but at least as long as they can say they're doing it for the past honor of a once-glorious noble house, society won't ostracize them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Four Abominations makes for an interesting time

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Are the Ancestor's Journal entries just for show?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
They need to get controller support up and running in this beast

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Yeah... I get some people are mad at the devs or whatever (They probably did gently caress up something to cause such a seemingly large fan divide), but I find the game pretty fun to play. My only gripe, as I think I said earlier, is that "optimally" prepping for a run seems tedious, equipment wise. Until you get 5 copies of everything, all your people are going to be sharing equipment, so giving us character equipment pre-set buttons would be great. 3 pre-sets per character. Perhaps 3-5 provision presets per area also.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Whoa those Fungal Grabbers start to really be annoying when their Prot goes up.

I've always hated the Weald.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BeAuMaN posted:

Until you get 5 copies of everything, all your people are going to be sharing equipment, so giving us character equipment pre-set buttons would be great. 3 pre-sets per character. Perhaps 3-5 provision presets per area also.
the absence of something like this is my biggest gripe, i think

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

On the topic of upgrading buildings: I like to think that the need for crests/busts/portraits/deeds is about giving some vague air of legitimacy to the Hamlet's existence, more than anything else.

When we first show up at the Hamlet at the start of the game, it's a deserted ruin, and there's no reason it shouldn't stay that way -- the entire Estate is a cursed, corrupted hellscape crawling with bandits, zombies, and things that make bandits and zombies seem like pleasant company. The Tavern re-opens as a barely functioning fly-by-night, and the Abbey only accepts visitors if they're bringing vast amounts of money. Each other building in the Hamlet opens in similar condition, with a few boards nailed over the biggest holes in the roof and just enough reclaimed interior spaces for the place to be called usable. Then, they stay that way until the player character provides the building's owner with enough heirloom items.

All the heirloom items represent what the player character's noble lineage once was. The crests were granted by royalty in recognition of great things the noble house did; the deeds represent proof of the many land grants that the house was showered with; the busts and portraits depict respectable members of the house who lived during its better days. There's no reason these things would be needed to upgrade the buildings, unless the building owners didn't want to make any repairs or renovations until they were presented with these things.

How I interpret all of this is that the Hamlet was re-settled in secret by a bunch of profiteering assholes who're afraid of getting arrested, disgraced, and/or lynched if their name is in any way associated with the Estate and the shitstorms it was witness to during the reign of the Ancestor. The heirlooms are something for the tavernkeep, the abbot, the guildmaster, and so forth to hide behind when their presence at the Hamlet is called into question -- as they're given more and more proof of the Estate's former nobility, they're able to operate more and more in the open, and gradually divorce themselves from the stigma of doing business amid the filth that the Ancestor left behind. Of course, they still have to deal with actually doing business amid the Ancestor's filth, but at least as long as they can say they're doing it for the past honor of a once-glorious noble house, society won't ostracize them.

This makes a lot of sense, and I like it....but good god, how many crests does everyone need? I just got back from a short level 3 scouting mission with like thirty of the things!

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Doctor Schnabel posted:

the absence of something like this is my biggest gripe, i think

I was so happy when I discovered that they added a "unequip all trinkets" button, as well as sorting buttons. Back in earlier builds trinket management was a true nightmare.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
They're furnishing their buildings like an amateur level designer. Props errywhere.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
1. Is leveling up the Occultist's heal worth it? I see it raises the bleed chance, and only gives +2 to the maximum. I've been leaving it unleveled.

2. How much do the upper tier blacksmith upgrades matter? The first two upgrades seemed great weapon wise, but now at the 3rd upgrade, it's only increasing the maximum damage by 1, and not even increasing the minimum damage. Does this even make an appreciable difference?

3. How many different versions of bosses are there? I've done quite a few of the orange (veteran?) dungeons, and I have yet to see another boss run. My guys are already halfway to level 5. Do I have to beat every single level 1 boss to unlock the later versions? I think I still have one more cove boss to beat.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

red plastic cup posted:

it is a mystery
Metals, precious and practical alike, come from mines. Mine ownership is typically transferred by deed.

By upgrading his shop with deeds you're allowing him greater access to a wider range of materials.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
1. Uograde it, but don't max it out. The bleed chance is really low and resistances scale up with level, so you can afford a few upgrades as you level.

2. The 3rd upgrade is bizarrely weak, no idea why (probably just to keep level 4 equipment from being too strong for veteran missions, I guess.) The 4th one is hugely important, though.

3. Each zone (except the last one) has 2 bosses and there's one version of each at every tier, so... 24 bosses total. The later ones take an annoying number of missions to unlock, especially if you stick to short missions. Don't count on clearing all of them before the end of the game unless you're a completionist.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

What 4 skills do you guys run your houndmaster with? Do you use him for bleed/marking? bleed/stress heal? stress heal/guard? There's so many good uses for him I just can't figure out how to balance it

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Oh Jester, I want to like you. I really, really do. Heroic End is such a lovely looking skill, and your little lute plinks of merriment restore my sanity as much as the Abominations, but god drat it, you really are just so bad at the things. Like killing stuff, because as much as I pretend Harvest and Slice Off are good, you just can't seem to make them work for me. And so you die to a Ball and Chain. Or, like dodging hits from a party you've Solo'd, successfully, for three loving turns I might add. And so you die to a pair of fish spears. Or like, how I really try to keep you safe in those back rows, spamming Stress Heals and buffs galore to my stupid Hellions and Lepers who keep picking up slowdraw or just missing. But no, you eats blight from those drat mushrooms like a loving fat guy at a buffet, and die. Or you Griffiths, my glorious little bastard, my last ray of hope in the class, with your slugger, and tough, and hard-skinned. Always just hanging on to Death's Door like some sort of lamprey, sucking the very marrow out of life as you proc Virtues time after time. Only to get insta-gibed off of giant crits and a stupid dog with a wish to destroy the one Jester who'd decided that he'd had enough.

I swear to god, Jesters are the squishest, most suicidally prone characters in this loving game, and I love them for all their terribleness.

Alright, sorry all, had to get that off my chest, now back to party comps that aren't terrible.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's a very rare trinket you can get that reduces the bleed chance from skills, which includes the occultist's heal. Its extremely useful for minimizing the RNG impact of his heal later on. I always have mine use it once they can, so at least when they roll 0 heals they don't also kill people with them. The only downside it also screws up his ability to debuff the enemy, but when run in a healing position he doesn't really care about that.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

What 4 skills do you guys run your houndmaster with? Do you use him for bleed/marking? bleed/stress heal? stress heal/guard? There's so many good uses for him I just can't figure out how to balance it

He doesn't need to be the one applying mark now since other mark effects picked up the -prot effect, so I wouldn't have him use whistle if you can avoid it. I don't like his stress heal because its more RNG but I won't deny it can be useful. Personally I like to put the houndmaster in position 2 so he can use blackjack, which has surprisingly high stun chance even without trinkets.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Is 4 Houndmasters still amazing?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

A bunch of class you can run multiple of a class and have it work (at least in lower level dungeons), but honestly none of them are stronger than making a not-poo poo party.

Upgrades are pretty vitally important. They aren't needed to beat dungeons, but they give you a ton more lee-way to recover from when the bad poo poo happens.

I'm feeling pretty happy to see a bunch of people asking how to use houndmaster, considering a conversation we had earlier in this thread.

Take his single target attack, his mark (unless you have another person with the -prot mark), pick either stun or stress heal (stress heal if he is in position 3, stun if in position 2), and then either self-heal or the guard (if you have them both unlocked, you can always swap to heal in-between fights if he has taken damage). In general you don't really bother with the marking skill, that is saved for high hp enemies or high prot enemies. Mainly you're using the single target attack against the poo poo in the back you want to kill asap, or stunning. Later on in the fight if you have heal/stress heal you use that as your other guys are finishing them off.

His aoe bleed is basically useful for 1 boss, and make sure you don't spend early rounds in a fight healing/marking unless you 100% need to.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Nevermind

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I maintain his all-enemy dog extravaganza attack is the best, as it involves maximum dog

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

There's no normal loot in the darkest dungeons because they aren't normal dungeon runs.

That kind of sucks though, it just means more grinding dungeons you've already beaten to earn money for the stacks of bandages you need. Also there's no incentive to try a dark run in the "darkest dungeon". The crazy stress is enough reason to go fullbright anyway, but I don't see why they can't offer more loot or even special crazy powerful DD-only no-light only trinkets.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 22, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I've been interested in this since forever and finally picked it up last Steam sale. This morning I gave it a go and it crashes every single time I click Embark for the first mission. The tutorial was fun at least.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Wafflecopper posted:

That kind of sucks though, it just means more grinding dungeons you've already beaten to earn money for the stacks of bandages you need. Also there's no incentive to try a dark run in the "darkest dungeon". The crazy stress is enough reason to go fullbright anyway, but I don't see why they can't offer more loot or even special crazy powerful DD-only no-light only trinkets.

Because it ends the game. You can't take it with you. And retreating means you sacrifice everything anyway, so again there's no reason.

This is what you've been training and equipping everyone and building up everything for; total war(As far as that is possible in this system) with that place and everything in it, to expunge the evil. You'd think the mission names 'We are the flame' and 'lighting the way' would be clues. This is not treasure hunting.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

The last mission ends the game, but there are four in the Darkest Dungeon. I don't see why they couldn't make it an interesting choice instead of just "bring all the torches you can because lots of the mobs drain light and there's no incentive to play in the dark."

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Electing to use a darkest dungeon config option doesn't alter anything whatsoever outside of the specific option you changed right? Sometimes game's might disable achievements (don't really care about that), or minorly alter the ending or something for things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Are the Ancestor's Journal entries just for show?
Right click on them to read them? Is there a place in town were they are collected btw?