Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Rebel Blob posted:

Western medicine treats the symptoms

Plenty of new-agey Westerners believe this poo poo, including my mother, who likes to refer to evidence-based medicine as "allopathic" medicine, which was the term coined by the quack who invented homeopathy to refer, disparagingly of course, to anything that was not homeopathy.

For someone as smart as her it's depressing how much ridiculous woo she buys into. My dad, too. He got personally offended when I told him ear candling was bullshit, because he knows people who do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Plenty of new-agey Westerners believe this poo poo, including my mother, who likes to refer to evidence-based medicine as "allopathic" medicine, which was the term coined by the quack who invented homeopathy to refer, disparagingly of course, to anything that was not homeopathy.

For someone as smart as her it's depressing how much ridiculous woo she buys into. My dad, too. He got personally offended when I told him ear candling was bullshit, because he knows people who do it.

Just go all out: "The people you know who ear candle are idiots who bought into the bullshit."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bobby Digital posted:

My mom's a nurse and apparently a lot of her coworkers fully believe that a full moon means their patients will be unruly that night.

Hospital workers are as superstitious as sailors and the Moon thing is a very common belief.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Zeroisanumber posted:

Hospital workers are as superstitious as sailors and the Moon thing is a very common belief.

My mom believes in this and she was a cop for 12 years and a dispatcher for 10

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Dongicus posted:

My uncle said to me the other day "I'm a MLP Brony fedora trilby weeaboo jort republican internet critic juggallo nazi trump supporter libertarian bitcoin racist homophobe athiest mra pua pozzer tumblr freak gamergater furry pedo ephebophile doodoo liker lets player memer 4channer redditor goon and i like the wrong politics of the xbox one gamergate gender equality wage gap tipping religion." :allears:

Ah, so it does run in the family.

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
"What comes after C-?...Is it F?" Said one graduate student to the other graduate student.
"I don't know" replies graduate student #2, "Let's look it up on google."

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Bertrand Hustle posted:

One of my favorite quotes.
"Do you know what they call alternative medicine that works?
Medicine."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

VoteTedJameson posted:

"What comes after C-?...Is it F?" Said one graduate student to the other graduate student.

I could see this being them being unaware where the cutoff for passing is. Our program has A, B, and F grades and that's it.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

coronatae posted:

Southern Baptists get really weird about Catholics. I grew up near a Baptist megachurch and sometimes my classmates would try to educate me on Catholicism like I wasn't going to RCIA and stuff every week anyways. Except all their info was wildly innacurate and it was basically an explanation of why I was going to hell.

A friend and I were walking through town one day and we were stopped by some evangelists of some sort.
:downs: Excuse me, do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?
:geno: Um, sorry, not interested, we're not Christians.
:downs: Oh? What are you, Catholics?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Second hand report here. On the radio today a sort of editorial came on explaining that yes, Ted Cruz's parents were born in America so he counts as naturalized by laws in the books over 200 years old now. He sequed into that however by talking about a conversation he overheard recently at a cafe wherein a woman said:
"I like Ted Cruz as a candidate. But what if he actually can't be president? Even worse, what if he wins and then they find out he can't be? Then Biden will take his place..."
The newscaster was as dumbfounded as you.

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!

Dienes posted:

I could see this being them being unaware where the cutoff for passing is. Our program has A, B, and F grades and that's it.

That would be a reasonable assumption, but from having heard the rest of their conversation...nope, this person was asking, in the most literal possible sense, what comes after C-. They googled it and there was a big, collective "Ohhhhhhhh".

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Choco1980 posted:

Second hand report here. On the radio today a sort of editorial came on explaining that yes, Ted Cruz's parents were born in America so he counts as naturalized by laws in the books over 200 years old now. He sequed into that however by talking about a conversation he overheard recently at a cafe wherein a woman said:
"I like Ted Cruz as a candidate. But what if he actually can't be president? Even worse, what if he wins and then they find out he can't be? Then Biden will take his place..."
The newscaster was as dumbfounded as you.

Any outcome that results in President Biden is the best possible outcome.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

My mom believes in this and she was a cop for 12 years and a dispatcher for 10

I had a girlfriend who was a cop who believed the same thing. I think I read an article at some point that had some sort of possible explanation, in that because it was easier to see outside at night during a full moon people were more likely to decide to go out and get into trouble. Or maybe more likely to get caught since it was easier to see? Anyway, her and her cop buddies believed it had more to do with "unleashing animal instincts" and other bullshit reasons.

El Cid has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Jan 21, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

I was going to say that there was apparently a study a while back that showed that car crashes, accidents, and ER visits spike around the full moon. That and suicides.

Then when I Google searched it the first few results were "that study turned out to be bullshit, sorry folks." Welp.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Bobby Digital posted:

My mom's a nurse and apparently a lot of her coworkers fully believe that a full moon means their patients will be unruly that night.

Yeah this belief was widespread among middle school teachers.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I also had some nurses in the hospital who told me that my prescription deodorant would give me breast cancer so I shouldn't use it. No thanks ladies, my body sucks and the prescription works wonders so I'll take the nonexistent risk.

Also a surprisingly large amount of nurses don't get flu shots because of all the dumb autism Mercury formaldehyde whatever BS.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

Stoatbringer posted:

A friend and I were walking through town one day and we were stopped by some evangelists of some sort.
:downs: Excuse me, do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?
:geno: Um, sorry, not interested, we're not Christians.
:downs: Oh? What are you, Catholics?

Yeah, I never realized the hate for Catholics from Baptists was such a wide spread thing. When I was like 12 or 13 there was Baptist youth group that used to have a bunch of skate ramps and so me and my friends would always go. The caveat, of course, was that you had to attend the bible study deal if you wanted to go there, which I always thought was fair.

So one day the subject of Catholicism came up
Pastor: ... and therefore Catholics aren't Christians.
Me: Wait, what? Why?
P: Because they sanctioned the Crusades and had all those people murdered. So anybody who is Catholic is directly responsible.
M: But doesn't being Christian mean believing Jesus died for our sins and rose again? Also trying to live like him and forgiving others?
P: Well, technically that's correct but all Catholics are barbarians and are going to hell for the sins of what the church did.

Needless to say I didn't feel very welcome after that.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I know two nurses. One of them is a really cool dude, in good shape, fun to party with, shares articles about local policies that are being passed that will either gently caress over healthcare, or help it, and various interesting health-related articles.

The other is as wide as she is tall, never stops making GBS threads out superstitions, inspirational quotes, and memes about how hard nurses work.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Thin Privilege posted:

Also a surprisingly large amount of nurses don't get flu shots because of all the dumb autism Mercury formaldehyde whatever BS.

:eng99:

This depresses me more than anything I've read today.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

My hair guy, about the attacks in Paris in late 2015: "They allowed it to happen, to have an excuse to attack"

Relatively minor, but if they had that much control, why not something that DIDN'T kill people and made them look weak? Would "these dudes tried, and our awesome guys got them, payback time" be too unrealistic?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Serperoth posted:

My hair guy, about the attacks in Paris in late 2015: "They allowed it to happen, to have an excuse to attack"

Relatively minor, but if they had that much control, why not something that DIDN'T kill people and made them look weak? Would "these dudes tried, and our awesome guys got them, payback time" be too unrealistic?

Same question about 9/11 conspiracies, really.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

VoteTedJameson posted:

When I was in college, there was no D grade. If you had a C, you were skating on thin ice as far as the class was concerned.

HOWEVER, as loving graduate students you'd think they be aware of the grading system their school uses.

VoteTedJameson posted:

That would be a reasonable assumption, but from having heard the rest of their conversation...nope, this person was asking, in the most literal possible sense, what comes after C-. They googled it and there was a big, collective "Ohhhhhhhh".

Oh, holy poo poo. :cripes:

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Geniasis posted:

Same question about 9/11 conspiracies, really.

The real question is that if the Bush administration planned 9/11, don't you think that they would have made at least some of the attackers Iraqis?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sucrose posted:

The real question is that if the Bush administration planned 9/11, don't you think that they would have made at least some of the attackers Iraqis?

Although I really love the idea that it was a false flag, but in true Dubya fashion, someone bungled the details and the wrong faction was blamed.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
We got married in a Catholic church and I invited some of my fundie sheltered baptist friends and they were apprehensive about setting foot in a Catholic church because apparently we're all statue worshipping pagans. Who knew!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Geniasis posted:

Although I really love the idea that it was a false flag, but in true Dubya fashion, someone bungled the details and the wrong faction was blamed.

"Eh, gently caress it, I've got a tee time. Just make sure they're brown."

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"I saw two refugees fighting at the mall so we have to stop letting them into the country"

1. How do you know they were refugees and not older immigrants/born here?

2. White people start fights too, why is it okay for them to do it?

3. Can we close the borders to white people now? Please?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Picnic Princess posted:

3. Can we close the borders to white people now? Please?

America has enough white people, go back to Whitelandia.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

America has enough white people, go back to Whitelandia.

Buy me a ticket and I will.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Uh... in what way?

She doesn't really personally know anybody with it she just really likes the idea I guess? Her facebook is a mess of reshares of nurse memes and Down's syndrome stories. I get the strong feeling that she would be overjoyed if she had her own child with a chromosomal disorder. :ohdear:

In a separate bout of nurse insanity she's started to sign cards and letters with her and her cat's name.

RillAkBea has a new favorite as of 07:19 on Jan 22, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't want to go to hospitals anymore. :ohdear:

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
Grad student: "Using a ruler to measure something is a colonial undertaking." You see measuring makes a thing knowable, which makes a thing controllable. This is "the crux of imperialism."

Not a joke. This occurred.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
I work at a Walgreens and recently I had a customer ask me about vitamins. She wanted multivitamins but not the men's or women's specific kinds. "I want a vitamin that both me and my husband can take. I can't take the men's vitamins cause I don't want hair to grow on my chest, and he can't take the women's vitamins cause then he'll grow boobs! Cause of the hormones!" My coworker and I tried to assure her that no, over the counter multivitamins do not contain hormones, but she was not listening to us.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

VoteTedJameson posted:

Grad student: "Using a ruler to measure something is a colonial undertaking." You see measuring makes a thing knowable, which makes a thing controllable. This is "the crux of imperialism."

What the gently caress :psyduck:

I'm pretty far left but come the gently caress on, that's idiotic.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

VoteTedJameson posted:

Never slapped anyone in a class before, but I might have in this case.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Telemaze posted:

Do idiots also do stuff like ask everyday English people if they live in a castle? I'm not even joking.

The irony here is that as an American I visited a friend of mine in the UK and I swear that a one bedroom apartment here has more square feet to it than the average full sized family house over there. poo poo is incredibly tiny and if you're claustrophobic you're absolutely hosed.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
In art school, we were looking at art in Russia created after the communist revolution. This was so dumb I wrote it down in my notes:

Student: "Why is there so much emphasis on red?"

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We got married in a Catholic church and I invited some of my fundie sheltered baptist friends and they were apprehensive about setting foot in a Catholic church because apparently we're all statue worshipping pagans. Who knew!

To be fair Catholics are Idolaters, though i'm not sure I'd call you pagans.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GWBBQ posted:

I was raised Catholic, and I was still fairly religious when I was in high school. I was on a trip to Tennessee in high school and I said that I was Catholic to a group of people I was chatting with when religion came up. They all looked shocked and someone said said something like "Really? you seem so normal!" I know it's not the same as antisemitism, but it was a tiny glimpse at the "us versus the lizard people" mentality that a lot of fundamentalists have toward everyone else.

I live in Northern Ireland. My grandmother says when she was a girl, her education as such that she believed the only Catholics in the world lived in a) West Belfast; b) the Republic; and c) Rome until she was a teenager. :D

Telemaze posted:

Do idiots also do stuff like ask everyday English people if they live in a castle? I'm not even joking.

My family visited America once, and my mum was asked where we're from. "Ireland," she said (the path of least resistance when one goes abroad), and the gentleman in question asked first whether we had cars, or if we were still on horses and carts, and second whether or not the potato famine was still a problem for us. :D

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 10:58 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

"I'm moving to Korea to teach English"

"Oh amazing, North or South?"

- A completely serious, university educated human

Every loving time when I lived in Montana.

Also, once when I had to get into this street party to look for my father-in-law and they asked for ID, and I gave them my passport to use as ID.

GIRL 1: Um...
ME: What?
GIRL 1: What...is this?
ME: It's a passport.
*blank stare*
ME: Passport.
*blank stare*
ME: Do you speak English?
GIRL 1: What?
(Girl 2 walks over)
GIRL 1: Oh, thank GOD! Can you handle this?
GIRL 2: What's going on?
ME: Look, I just want to go in and find my father-in-law. She asked for ID, here it is.
GIRL 2: What is this?
ME: It's a passport!
GIRL 2: Why do you have this?
ME: What?!
GIRL 2: Where are you from?
ME: NEW YORK. CAN YOU HURRY UP, PLEASE?
GIRL 2: Um....
ME: Look. Look at this. It says "United States of America" on the front.
GIRL 2: So why are you in this country?
ME: I was born in it. Can you please let me inside?
GIRL 2: Um...okay...but like...I dunno...okay...

WHAT THE gently caress

I HATE MONTANA.

• Locked thread