Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

FredMSloniker posted:

Yes, I know what's really going on.
Well yeah obviously that's just Yog-Sothoth manifesting a part of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

spacetoaster posted:

That is from a community show about the non-existent videogame "star citizen". The woman is the wife of the CEO who's "making" the game. The guy is the community manager. Lot's of goons think it's a huge scam (109,000,000 dollars crowdfunded over 3 years with no release of the game in sight).

There's a massive amount of hilarious stupidity about this right now with denial and just outright lies coming from the two people in the gif and the CEO. So it's hilarious that he did this today during their live stream.

And I didn't mis-type. That's 109 MILLION dollars scammed from people. People have literally donated 10's of thousands of dollars to this. People have gotten divorces over this.

Okay, that story helps, like, no normal people with what the hell's going on. Without the oversimplifications and glossing over. A lot of us don't know what is happening, and just hear 'it's a scam, it's a scam!' over and over again, like as if we know what is going on. And as far as I personally know, it made a lot of money, a FPS component didn't come along as intended didn't come along as planned, and a guy (Derek Smart), who's reputation in the early 2000's was that he was an argumentative, pompous rear end in a top hat about people not liking the games he made, is championing as the head of the 'It's a Scam!' camp. All of which sounds like rich assholes are bad with money, a run-of-the-mill incident in game development, and assholes being assholes, none of which seem like problems with the game itself, just the assholes around it.

Now, if I'm wrong, or something a lot more insidious is going on, I'd love to be pointed to the right place to read about it. As is, let's post some gifs

http://i.imgur.com/TmapI8f.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/aPYZIPU.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/ZL6UTVK.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/jZUNdU2.gifv

Barry Bluejorts
Jun 30, 2013

Now please touch your finger to the tip of your nose.
Pillbug

Just after he pulls the hat off, you can hear someone in the background start laughing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hyperlynx posted:

Ok, but what's he doing in the gif? What's he mean by that gesture?

I honestly don't know. In the actual video there's a hard cut right after it. It was really strange and out of place.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

All of which sounds like rich assholes are bad with money

Yeah, I was thinking that too. But I've seen some of these guys. There are people missing rent to donate more money on this game that doesn't exist. There's a even a guy who spent his kid's college fund.

Anywho, I thought the gif was strange as heck which is why I posted it. I just wanted to explain a tiny bit of the craziness associated with it, not really get into a huge discussion (you can head over to games for that).

Forti
May 5, 2009

You seem to care a lot about a game that's not out

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Forti posted:

i gave them :20bux: like three years ago

they probably used it for rollers

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Forti posted:

Tim Schafer?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

Tim Schafer?

He's also a big kickstarter abuser. He even has his own shady crowdfunding site now. Which according this youtube video is very shady itself but I'm no accountant.

Forti
May 5, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Tim Schafer?

close.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

RillAkBea posted:

He's also a big kickstarter abuser. He even has his own shady crowdfunding site now. Which according this youtube video is very shady itself but I'm no accountant.

To be fair, apparently the board of directors of that crowdfunding site also includes people who developed Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity, 2 successful crowdfunded games that were delivered on budget. Tim seems to be the odd one out there.

It sounds shady as hell anyway, though.

nerdz has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Jan 22, 2016

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

That is from a community show about the non-existent videogame "star citizen". The woman is the wife of the CEO who's "making" the game. The guy is the community manager. Lot's of goons think it's a huge scam (109,000,000 dollars crowdfunded over 3 years with no release of the game in sight).

The CEO's wife (who is deeply involved in everything) fake cried at a fan event and told everyone how great they were for financially supporting what's going the be "the best drat space sim ever".
meanwhile posting pictures of sports cars and yachts to twitter.

Is there a source video of her fake crying, sounds hilarious.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Great self-preservation instincts there, pooch.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Trebek posted:

Is there a source video of her fake crying, sounds hilarious.

https://youtu.be/IehITxsK4Fs?t=71

It starts at about 1:10 if the link doesn't get you there.

It's more of a SUPER CRINGE, than hilarious.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dog got your tongue, cat?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

spacetoaster posted:

https://youtu.be/IehITxsK4Fs?t=71

It starts at about 1:10 if the link doesn't get you there.

It's more of a SUPER CRINGE, than hilarious.

Wait, how the gently caress are they holding CitizenCon 2015 for a game that hasn't been made?

This poo poo is crazier than I thought. Like everyone involved is legit crazy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

dumb. posted:

Wait, how the gently caress are they holding CitizenCon 2015 for a game that hasn't been made?

They had a citcon 2014 too.

Here's a screenshot of a legit post from their official forums. That thread ran for pages before they locked it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

dumb. posted:

For how long this game has been in "development" and for how much money was given and what this game looks like now its loving crazy that people en masse aren't looking for blood from these obvious scam artist. Its been what 3 years in development and they have nothing to show? And what they have to show is not good at all, not 3-4 years in development good.

TontoCorazon has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Jan 23, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TontoCorazon posted:

For how long this game has been in "development" and for how much money was given and what this game looks like now its loving crazy that people en masse aren't looking for blood from these obvious scam artist. Its been what 3 years in development and they have nothing to show? And what they have to show is not good at all, not 3-4 years in development good.

Sunk Cost Fallacy is a hell of a thing.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TontoCorazon posted:

For how long this game has been in "development" and for how much money was given and what this game looks like now its loving crazy that people en masse aren't looking for blood from these obvious scam artist. Its been what 3 years in development and they have nothing to show?

They do have something to show, it just happens to explode several times over if they show it for more than few seconds.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
That is the point of space shooters though, tbf.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

spacetoaster posted:

They had a citcon 2014 too.

Here's a screenshot of a legit post from their official forums. That thread ran for pages before they locked it.

That's just... I don't even... wow.

I mean, they say a fool and their money are soon parted. I guess a lonely sperg with crippling social disorders and disposable income is just a poo poo pump of cash waiting to be thrown at the slightest hint of sad fantasy fulfillment. Kinda got to give props to these Star Citizen people for tapping that font of idiot dosh.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

dumb. posted:

I mean, they say a fool and their money are soon parted. I guess a lonely sperg with crippling social disorders and disposable income is just a poo poo pump of cash waiting to be thrown at the slightest hint of sad fantasy fulfillment. Kinda got to give props to these Star Citizen people for tapping that font of idiot dosh.

If it makes you feel any better, the "Chairman" of the company is pretty much on the same level as the people giving him money, as seen by his experience playing his own game for 19 minutes where he:

-Comments on how atrocious the in-game chat window/function is
-Is locked out of spawning a ship for himself due to issues
-Hard locks his computer and is forced to restart his pc
-Can't figure out his controls, whether its KB+M, HOTAS, or other
-Game crashes while attempting to go do the only quest available in-game
-Said his password on-air, live
-Openly criticized a member of the livestream ie: This was all Ben's bright idea

All done on a livestream marking a X-Mas special.

Oh, and even though they've been doing videos for months (years?) they still struggle with audio, script, video, and personnel issues.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/RVDZ2vP.gifv

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

dumb. posted:

This is a guy posting depressed, suicidal stuff on their forums, and the response.

Notice the reply isn't about anything real. Telling him to spend more money on buying the "luxury yacht" in the game that doesn't exist.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
More GIFs, less Star Citizen. Here, I'll show you. Open Google, type in 'infinite gif', image search, filter 'animated'...

...that, uh, that is not actually what I was expecting to happen.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

FredMSloniker posted:

More GIFs, less Star Citizen. Here, I'll show you. Open Google, type in 'infinite gif', image search, filter 'animated'...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

FredMSloniker posted:

Hey, I'm posting gifs with all my tidbits about SC. Also, many of my gifs are from SC.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

FredMSloniker posted:

That, of course, is the Korean boy band "Infinite"

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Arctic Baldwin posted:

That, of course, is the Korean boy band "Infinite"

Well poo poo. If you're going to wank to a Korean boy band, might as well make it Infinite

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
https://i.imgur.com/T06xFNL.gifv

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

This was posted earlier. Also, she's batting too high.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
http://i.imgur.com/JUc8DCR.gifv

g'night

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Gifv and webm heavy pages have been loving up my Firefox. I toggled the autoplay off, and now pages load easy, but the gifvs and webms won't play at all. How could i make it so that they play, but only if i click on them?

Hogge Wild has a new favorite as of 12:01 on Jan 23, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have a flashblocker installed and that's basically what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Not sure about Suicide Squad yet.

Butt I'll go see it.