Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Nice. An autocorrect typo. I am undone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Sorry I only use archaic and obscure words when I try to make a point, I guess it's because :smug:you braindead morons are too illiterate to engage on my level:smug:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Amethyst posted:

This thread is populated by mental midgets who get confused when presented with words like "partisan."

Ahahaha you were that guy who wedged 'partisan' in every sentence to sound educated I remember now.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I think the fact that my enemies need to resort to proof reading my posts in a last ditch effort to own me speaks volumes about the strength of their objections.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 22, 2016

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I don't know why posters in this thread try to contend with Amethyst's towering intellect. It is surely a losing battle.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
He's so masterful, a man of letters, a veritable polymath.

E: "my enemies" oh my god you poor sad bastard.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
hahahahahahahah your enemies

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Don't you mean adversaries?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Amethyst posted:

I think the fact that my enemies need to resort to proof reading my posts in a last ditch effort to own me speaks volumes about the strength of their objections.

MY ENEMIES

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

You are all my enemies, and I shall strike you down with my hanzo steel: words.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Two elderly woman idly walk past the AusPol thread and look in. "The meltdowns are in early this month I see." The other doesn't dane to comment.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ZykEJuFrI
Amethyst irl

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Amethyst posted:

k, so

I want to be really frank about our relationship.

It doesn't exist. There is no last ditch effort here. There is no effort at all. The emotion that I feel towards you is solely irritation at your incessant drivel, and this is not even a great deal of irritation. Certainly less than I would feel about one of those flies that tries to land on your face a few times in a row so you have to shoo it away in a progressively more annoyed fashion.

I have prepared a helpful chart to illustrate this position:

I took you off ignore briefly to see if you actually had anything to say for once since you hadn't yet claimed intellectual victory and slunk away, tail victoriously between your legs, and now that I see it's all still just drivel you're going back there. I'm not saying this to score points but to explain why there will be no further engagement between us.

I politely suggest that you consider shutting the gently caress up.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

Two elderly woman idly walk past the AusPol thread and look in. "The meltdowns are in early this month I see." The other doesn't dane to comment.

deign

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SadisTech posted:

k, so

I want to be really frank about our relationship.

It doesn't exist. There is no last ditch effort here. There is no effort at all. The emotion that I feel towards you is solely irritation at your incessant drivel, and this is not even a great deal of irritation. Certainly less than I would feel about one of those flies that tries to land on your face a few times in a row so you have to shoo it away in a progressively more annoyed fashion.

I have prepared a helpful chart to illustrate this position:

I took you off ignore briefly to see if you actually had anything to say for once since you hadn't yet claimed intellectual victory and slunk away, tail victoriously between your legs, and now that I see it's all still just drivel you're going back there. I'm not saying this to score points but to explain why there will be no further engagement between us.

I politely suggest that you consider shutting the gently caress up.

Sorry, why did you post the script to The Princess Bride, here? Not really seeing the relevance.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Amethyst did nothing wrong.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Could also have been a typo of 'dare'. I post on many levels.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

open24hours posted:

I don't think ultra-nationalism is really our style. We don't have a myth to refer to in the way older societies do so the movements always look like a tragic pastiche.

Nevertheless, the desperation to believe something is such that it welds these idiots together in a way that may be politically useful to someone at some point. Defining themselves as being not-something-else is how these things get started.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Okay I'm a glutton for punishment, I saw what Laserface wrote for once. And now I suspect she is an alt of Amethyst.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Egad, thyne picture haste slain my funny bone

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

:perfect:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Well once it's put in the spot for Probation reason totally.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ewe2 posted:

Nevertheless, the desperation to believe something is such that it welds these idiots together in a way that may be politically useful to someone at some point. Defining themselves as being not-something-else is how these things get started.

Well I think that it taps into the same construct as the "White Australia Policy" did, which honestly I'd argue defined Australian culture more than the Gallipoli landings did.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
James Packer's face looks like someone made an origami face out of a shoe.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
James Packer's face looks like a piglet with a genetic defect.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I'd make fun of this new direction for Shorten, but it's probably going to be more successful than what he was doing before, so if it helps it helps.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This is a thing

quote:

NSW teaching students will face personality assessments from next year, the NSW Board of Studies has confirmed.

The President of the NSW Council of Deans of Education, Chris Davison, said the assessments will draw from tests similar to those undertaken for the army and will weed out candidates unsuited to teaching before they begin their degrees.

"The challenge is to have one that works for teaching. You probably need a much higher degree of empathy than you do in the army," she said.

Professor Davison said that the national program was necessary despite tough new regulations on literacy and numeracy imposed by the NSW government.

She said the personality assessments were being implemented because students with poor communication or behavioral issues were still undertaking teaching degrees.

"At one stage it emerged that someone in our own program at UNSW had major psychological problems," she said.

"They already had a degree in another field so had passed the academic requirements but they couldn't main eye contact, they couldn't maintain conversation. We found out they had recently been released from psychiatric ward and had problems interacting with people.

"Their counsellor suggested they take up a teaching degree. I counselled them to withdraw."

The Board of Studies' move to implement personality tests at all universities comes after a crackdown on teacher training by the NSW government in September.

For the first time this year, teachers had to achieve three band 5s to be accepted into university and pass literacy and numeracy tests, as thousands of school students prepare to return to school from January 28.

Less than 10 per cent of universities are impacted by the band 5 regulation, said Professor Davison. It does not apply to double teaching degrees such as a Bachelor of Science and Education.

The second degree is assumed to take the place of the three band 5 standard at most major universities.

Professor Davison said the tougher academic regulations announced by NSW Education Minister Adrian Piccoli at UNSW in September were "ironic, because we are not affected by them".

While the regulations may not have prevented students from enrolling at most major universities, the publicity has made a dent in teaching applications throughout the state.

"Across the sector there has been a drop in applications for teaching this year," said Western Sydney University's Acting Vice-Chancellor Professor Denise Kirkpatrick.

Professor Kirkpatrick said she welcomed the government's tightening of teaching standards, saying it would lead to more well-prepared teachers in the state's classrooms.

Despite the crackdown, second chances have been extended to teachers who have not met the three band 5 standard through alternative entry schemes or scored a double degree position.

At the University of Notre Dame Australia, students who failed to get the required marks will be able to take a bridging course that will equate to the threeband 5 qualification.

The course will focus on HSC English and the seven key competencies outlined in the Australian Curriculum: literacy, numeracy, ICT capability, critical and creative thinking, personal and social capability, ethical understanding and intercultural understanding.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Hey Amethyst, how about instead of making GBS threads up the thread with a ton of Jerk detected and having yet another meltdown, you walk away from the computer and play some video games or read a book or something to calm down and/or set your mind down paths that are not loving stupid, then go to a GP and get a referral to a psychologist so you can get some help.

With that said, I can now give the thread what it deserves: First Dog on the Moon

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lid posted:

This is a thing

I am glad that people with only cursory psychological knowledge/experience are doing this, it will only end well

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Eloquent verbosity is the ultimate indicia of superior intellectual acumen.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Recoome posted:

Well I think that it taps into the same construct as the "White Australia Policy" did, which honestly I'd argue defined Australian culture more than the Gallipoli landings did.

Oh yeah it goes back to good old 18th century racism actually. "This place is empty except for the people we're poisoning and mass shooting". Back then, they thought they had something better. Now they don't know what is better or not, but they're angry that they don't have more of it.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
And thus the cloak of obscurance was drawn from the vessel and mine eyes, finding purchase upon its hideous form, recoiled skyward, my lungs filled themselves to their brimmest and exhorted thunderously to the heavens

verily
twas excrement

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Lid posted:

This is a thing

...a good thing, right?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Okay I'm a glutton for punishment, I saw what Laserface wrote for once. And now I suspect she is an alt of Amethyst.

Omg I am male how dare you assume I identify as a woman.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Tirade posted:

...a good thing, right?

well given the communication etc. vague descriptions it seems the case used was rather than the person being for example psychopathic they were autistic (lack of eye contact, difficulty conversing) so unless they have a much better case it seems that rather than start a slippery slope its origins come from the slippery slope

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Lid posted:

well given the communication etc. vague descriptions it seems the case used was rather than the person being for example psychopathic they were autistic (lack of eye contact, difficulty conversing) so unless they have a much better case it seems that rather than start a slippery slope its origins come from the slippery slope

The "good" part of the whole thing is the literacy and numeracy requirements.

But yeah it seems depending on how their methodology for psych assessments, they might exclude someone on the wrong basis.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
A degree just educates you, it's not the place of the university to do personality tests. If it's necessary then it's up to the education board once you want to work.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Lid posted:

This is a thing

INTJ need not apply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly,
Though its answer little meaning—little relevancy bore;

• Locked thread