Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ernie. posted:

hello egyptian here, egypt is safe, but also gently caress it straight to hell

Real talk here. I was under the impression due to the political situation going on right now in Egypt that it wasn't really the best place to visit at this moment, same goes for Turkey. Am I just being horribly reactionary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I did the same but I ended staying. Don't know if I'm a better person yet.

I don't know if you are a better person either, but you're definitely a good person one hundred years, and at the end of the day that's what really matters.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 27, 2020

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That... can happen. Particularly in Paris and especially in the touristy areas. I've met nothing but nice people area else outside of Marseille. Marseille is special like Paris.

I've only been to France like 1.5 times. The secondish time was just in the airport and was a really bad experience, but I've never really had a good airport experience, so I can't really hold that against the city too much. The first time was in high school. Our entire music class went to England and France for 2 weeks, but we only spent a couple of days in France, and all of it in Paris except for day trips out to Versailles (which if I remember my geography is still more or less in Paris) and to Vimy Ridge, which is a Canadian WWI memorial and honestly one of the only places to leave me truly speechless. Going up to it we were 2 buses full of 100 rowdy teenagers, and we were silent the entire way back. The rest of the time was spent being maximum tourists and going to the Eiffel tower, the Louvre, and a boat ride up the Seine. We also went to this weird underground mall which was sorta indoor/outdoor and people spat on the floor and it was gross. I remember thinking that the longer we stayed the more I noticed how filthy the city was. This was in early 2000 though, and I heard there was a massive cleanup, but I don't know if that's still true.

My favourite part was when the bus driver "got lost" and drove us through the red light district, while our principal tried in vain to keep us from looking out the windows. To this day I remember the multi-storied neon lights of the SEXODROME!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That you see the grottos with the cavemen paintings and I don't think I've ever been so moved than to see those paintings. I didn't go to the famous one, but another one where you can see the paintings themselves since they tightly control the entry to it.

Les-Eyzies-de-Tayac is where the main ones are - where i was for a week! DIdn't i talk to you about it 100yrs???? It's where our friend of the family runs a b&b and they close loads of the caves i think we were there the last season before they shut one of the main ones.
But yes it is fantastic and if you walk away with anything other than a wonder at the amazing evolution of homo-sapiens you have a stone cold heart or are blind.

I really want to go back to France and Scotland :(

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

EccoRaven posted:

when I graduated high school I got a firm handshake and a check from my father that bounced.

This is the opening sentence to the best novel I've never read.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Samfu are you ok? :ohdear:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh yeah, Opop go to Berlin. It's a vibrant city whose bleak history is very much still noticeable but at the same time there's such a creative and free-spirited undercurrent which is beautiful. If I didn't already live in the Berlin of England I'd want to move there.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Rarity posted:

Samfu are you ok? :ohdear:

Yeah, my mystery friend bailed after I was already at the barcade. Apparently their paycheck didn't go through on time, so they have no money. We are meeting tomorrow at the same place (luckily less than a 10 minute walk from my apartment). I still don't know who they are.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Also I think everyone at some point really should go on one of those Antarctic cruises I mentioned. They are not your average cruise liner, not even close, but drat do you get to see some cool stuff.

I know I probably come off like some kind of terror-beast who only knows fear, but cruises freak me the gently caress out. There's all these diseases all the time, and people fall off the boat or get the heave-ho and they're literally never seen again, and it has weird colonial overtones when the ships pull into various Carribbean islands and things, I basically never want to be anywhere near one.

Also every nerd I know that really likes cruises inevitably ends up having serious FYGM libertarian political leanings. I don't know why.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Allen Wren posted:

I know I probably come off like some kind of terror-beast who only knows fear, but cruises freak me the gently caress out. There's all these diseases all the time, and people fall off the boat or get the heave-ho and they're literally never seen again, and it has weird colonial overtones when the ships pull into various Carribbean islands and things, I basically never want to be anywhere near one.

Also every nerd I know that really likes cruises inevitably ends up having serious FYGM libertarian political leanings. I don't know why.

this makes sense

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have no idea if you're being sarcastic or not

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Allen Wren posted:

you decide

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm deciding to go to bed

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the only type of cruise i like is ted cruise and by that i mean i like cruise control missiles to hit him

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Allen Wren posted:

actually no

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
does anyone like my cruise joke, it helps if you say it like how i would say it

like in this voice where you can tell that i am not really dedicated to the joke, but hell i am going to go through with it

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
i don't know who ted cruise is so i did not like the joke

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Asiina posted:

We also went to this weird underground mall which was sorta indoor/outdoor and people spat on the floor and it was gross. I remember thinking that the longer we stayed the more I noticed how filthy the city was. This was in early 2000 though, and I heard there was a massive cleanup, but I don't know if that's still true.

My favourite part was when the bus driver "got lost" and drove us through the red light district, while our principal tried in vain to keep us from looking out the windows. To this day I remember the multi-storied neon lights of the SEXODROME!

Versailles is very close. I've yet to see a WWI battlefield, I hardly know the east of France at all actually, but Normandy and the beaches was profound. The mall is probably Les Halles and I still find the city to be pretty dirty but then again I never really knew it before.

Being from Small Town USA I still get a bit confused by prostitutes. I tend to remark to myself "that there are a lot women standing around out today..... OH."

EccoRaven posted:

I don't know if you are a better person either, but you're definitely a good person one hundred years, and at the end of the day that's what really matters.

As are you Ecco. As for a trip to the south it helps knowing people there because the place isn't an immediate tourist destination I find with known things and places. And you really need a car to see some of the best and coolest things.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

This is the opening sentence to the best novel I've never read.

It seriously sounds like something Robert Ford (I've only read Canada) would write.

busb posted:

Les-Eyzies-de-Tayac is where the main ones are - where i was for a week! DIdn't i talk to you about it 100yrs???? I

We talked a lot about rugby and you explained to me joy of cricket. I remember this specifically because all my cricket knowledge comes from that one enlightening conversation.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

We talked a lot about rugby and you explained to me joy of cricket. I remember this specifically because all my cricket knowledge comes from that one enlightening conversation.

Seriously, you cannot take Australians anywhere.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Seriously, you cannot take Australians anywhere.

especially not here jfc

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I ran into a pack of Australians at the Inchon Airport in South Korea.

They said they had just gotten back from Detroit and didn't understand why all of America is scared to go there.

This is my Australian interaction story.

Also, stay safe and warm DC-Maryland-Virginia goons. Try to resist the urge to start going Mad Max on your neighbors.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

Then absolutely don't go on an Antarctic cruise. The trips that go down there are either really small ships, or the national geographic ones that are expensive. The trips are always given in a range of days like 7-11 or 13-17 days because the fact is the drake passage is rough as hell and some days the ship will have to just say "nope" and anchor up on the side of an island for s day or two

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Re: tour groups or no. I have take a tour group once, and I hated it. Travel websites will tell you all the must see places, and you can plan your own trip while exploring wherever you feel like On no time restraints. It's hard to see everything, even in a tour group, so j tended to see places I want and spend as much time places as it takes me to be satisfied. I also enjoy walking amongst the locals and interacting with different cultures, especially in the poorer countries. To be fair, I am a pretty well traveled single male.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Kashuno posted:

Re: tour groups or no. I have take a tour group once, and I hated it. Travel websites will tell you all the must see places, and you can plan your own trip while exploring wherever you feel like On no time restraints. It's hard to see everything, even in a tour group, so j tended to see places I want and spend as much time places as it takes me to be satisfied. I also enjoy walking amongst the locals and interacting with different cultures, especially in the poorer countries. To be fair, I am a pretty well traveled single male.

:corrupt::liara::forkbomb::wink:

The new winkie eye's are weird.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
http://oh-holy-tonight.bandcamp.com/track/louvre

e: this one is better http://oh-holy-tonight.bandcamp.com/track/hby-beer-beer

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 22, 2016

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fiery_valkyrie posted:

:corrupt::liara::forkbomb::wink:

The new winkie eye's are weird.

New? These have all been around for a good 5 years

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tommunist posted:

Japan is probably the best place i've ever travelled, and Mount fuji and enivrons the coolest place there

Japan is awesome, my wife and I won a trip to Tokyo last year and the second we got back we immediately started planning a second trip for this year :)

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Podima posted:

Japan is awesome, my wife and I won a trip to Tokyo last year and the second we got back we immediately started planning a second trip for this year :)

get a japan rail pass and explore the country more, tokyos only a small part of the country

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tommunist posted:

get a japan rail pass and explore the country more, tokyos only a small part of the country

That's our plan, we were only there Thurs-Tues last time and Tokyo's plenty big enough to spend time exploring! Next time we're probs gonna spend some time in Sapporo too

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tommunist posted:

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

y4 thanks kashuno u JERk

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

New? These have all been around for a good 5 years

Never seen them before.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tommunist posted:

y4 thanks kashuno u JERk

idk what you were trying to say here dude.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Podima posted:

That's our plan, we were only there Thurs-Tues last time and Tokyo's plenty big enough to spend time exploring! Next time we're probs gonna spend some time in Sapporo too

i never went to sapporo but i heard it has some great skiing/hiking (depending on the season)

i didn't spend enough time there but kyoto and osaka were really nice as well, and alot less humid then tokyo was

edit: hiroshima and miyajima were ace

TammyHEH fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 22, 2016

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Kashuno posted:

idk what you were trying to say here dude.

i will haunt ur sleep

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tommunist posted:

i will haunt ur sleep

:wink:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I got accepted to a conference in Sapporo a few years ago, but couldn't afford to go, which still makes me a little sad. Same with my friend wanting to take me to Hong Kong, but trips to Asia are far too expensive. One day.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just found out my last 5 hours of work was completely pointless. Godammit :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
The last time I went on vacation to London, I did not go to any museums or any other tourist spots. Instead, I went to see theater shows, averaging 1.5 a day, and spending the rest of the time pub crawling while reading an anthology of short stories that I bought down at the Charing Cross bookstore. I also went to a few nightclubs, which were neat. It was a pretty good time, and felt as authentic as I'd be able to manage, taking into account my crippling social anxiety.