Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Spanish Matlock posted:

Sorry. Space reptile

I guess that makes you a classist then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

What exactly is tumblr tone policing supposed to be?
A phrase that usually indicates you're talking to an rear end in a top hat.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Spanish Matlock posted:

When you say you write English-Chinese books, you of course mean that you scribble (let's be generous) passable Chinese notes onto ESL practice tests.

I'm presuming that you don't actually have any Chinese qualifications. No degree, no TOCFL, that sort of thing. I'm not 100% sure because the autism makes it hard to evaluate your Dunning-Kruger situation.

Edit: Further, I don't think you have a real appreciation of what being a cram school teacher is, and how that experience varies from business to business. "Cram School Teacher" includes people throwing sticky balls at boards, and people teaching investment bankers how to investment bank. And it also includes people writing practice tests for various qualification exams.

I, for example, am a "cram school" teacher. I also write TOEIC and TOEFL practice tests, teach at various international companies like Cisco and Target, and also to various departments at City Hall and such. I edit papers for professors at actual academic institutions like NTU and Academia Sinica. I can also speak passable Chinese, but have no formal training and am good enough at Chinese to recognize how bad I am at Chinese.

See, there you go making huge presumptions and being wrong. I passed Level 4 of the TOCFL back in 2011 (I think the structure has changed since then but back then there were 5 levels) quite easily. I think it was like an 85 out of 100, with most of the incorrect answers being in the listening because god drat they give you no pause between reading the question and the answers, and you needed like a 60 to pass--and passing was the only thing that mattered. I have since realized no one gives a poo poo about it and some companies don't even know what it is, so I have relied on networking and previous work to demonstrate to companies that yes, I am more or less fluent in the big four components of Chinese (replacing writing with typing of course). So, yeah, you are wrong. 100% wrong. Feel free to hand wave this away as me posturing and lying online like I know you will. But it isn't, and I'm not.

When I say I write English-Chinese books, I mean I write entire books. So far they have been either vocabulary-focused or conversation-focused books where I write 100% of the Chinese and English. 100%. ESL practice tests? No. Like I said before, these are books you can find at Eslite, Nobel, Caves, or whatever other book stores exist here. The publishers are the largest in Taiwan. The work I have done for the international publisher I am again the sole author of. 71 tests and counting. Each being around 50 questions.

So by your own admission you are relying 100% on your English and are unable to work professionally with Chinese. That clears that up. I put a lot of effort into Chinese to get to the point where I can use it professionally, so yeah, I think that puts me a peg above you. And it's why the publishers have me writing a book or two a year (the current rate). Yes, I asked them, and they told me they don't want monolingual English speakers because poo poo gets lost in translation, and they (ideally) don't want Taiwanese bilingual speakers because their written English is never quite fluent.

Since you've decided to share (thanks), two things: a) it would be nice if you could read the entirety of what I post and b) maybe you should not assume whatever the gently caress you want to assume before posting your lovely snarky shitposts.

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 22, 2016

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

url posted:

Pandemonium: It's looks like you're having an episode.
Stop posting and come back in a while, and then see if it all still matters.

If you wanted to take stock:
each of your interactions here over the past few days you've had a problem with the person you are corresponding to.
This has occurred on each occasion, and has descended into ad hominem. (the singular exception would be Atlas Hugged)
At this juncture one should invoke the "If there is a problem in all your relationships, it's on you, not them" rule.

It's not a big deal, let it go. We've all poo poo posted and argued the toss before now.
Hell, some of us drunk-post vitriol for days on end.
It's not important.

again, for clarity:

I think you are having an episode, and I think you should take a break.

I get 571 not including the quotes.

:getin:

So after shitposting for pages you drop this care post. :lol:. I don't expect you or anyone else to close read my posts, but my god, how have you missed that I have said I am doing this for fun and that this is fun? At least four or five times now. I would think in skimming my posts before you launch off another cool bro shitpost you would have caught that!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Unironic congrats on the TOCFL thing Pandemonium. I've never had it in me to take either that or the HSK.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

One thing I've noticed about this thread is that it's really not that much of an echo chamber. What normally happens is that someone asks for some advice about Taiwan and people give a variety of answers from their own personal perspectives and sometimes it lines up, sometimes it doesn't. But what almost never happens in here is that people will post something and then a bunch of people will go, "YEAH I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT." In fact, the most common response is usually silence, especially since the Line group got started two years ago or so. Most of the banter has moved over there and the thread here serves less as a meeting place and more as a reference point.

The only thing that really gets the thread going and simultaneously produces an echo chamber effect is when Pandemonium posts. So on the one hand the thread is pretty dull when he's not around but on the other hand it's a lot less angry in here when he isn't ruffling feathers for whatever reason.

But whatever, it's a thread on a comedy forum and I'm choosing not to take it seriously. If Pandemonium says he's an amazing guy in person and this is just his internet face to people he doesn't give a poo poo about, I'll take his word on it. So feel free to come by my in-law's shop some time and speak Hakka with my grandmother-in-law and drink some whisby with the local alcoholics.

A totally random aside, my wife said that 鐵馬, at least for her, referred specifically to the old street motorcycles people still drive around, like the ones used to haul tanks of natural gas. And she thought it was hilarious when I said it in Taiwanese. So thanks for helping me make my wife laugh Pandemonium and making her reminiscent of her childhood where she was forced to speak Taiwanese when out and about and couldn't figure out why her family all insisted on speaking a different language at home.

Where's her shop? 鐵馬 is what a doctor told me meant bicycle in Taiwanese in Taichung. If your wife and her family are from elsewhere, it might refer to those farmer bikes instead. Most people call scooters and motorcycles "奧都白" or something like that in Taiwanese, which is just the Japanese approximation of the English "autobike". I don't know how much you know about Taiwanese, but there are a lot of Japanese words in Taiwanese that were originally English words that the Japanese first Japan-ified before the Taiwanese heard them. Like "來達" for lighter. Or "突熱褲" for truck. (I'm just bullshitting with the Chinese transliterations of the Taiwanese sound.) Oh, and apparently 背 is "巴庫" bakku in Taiwanese.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

What exactly is tumblr tone policing supposed to be?

Google it, bro. Tone policing is when you don't address the content of someone's post but instead decide to focus all your attention on how the post is written. See Atlas Hugged's referral to his and my similar point that Taiwanese are more immature than Westerns generally speaking but how no one cared when he said it because he used an appropriate tone, yet when I said it--complete with the subtract 5 years of their age to reach their maturity level--I was met with a couple posters calling me a casual racist. Because, you know, my tone wasn't polite enough on SA.

Another way to think of it is getting all angry because of the presentation of an argument instead of the argument itself. Like what basically everyone in this thread has been doing for ten pages. In addition to about 6 pages of wagon circling around Moon Slayer's joke coworker dating post.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

Where's her shop? 鐵馬 is what a doctor told me meant bicycle in Taiwanese in Taichung. If your wife and her family are from elsewhere, it might refer to those farmer bikes instead. Most people call scooters and motorcycles "奧都白" or something like that in Taiwanese, which is just the Japanese approximation of the English "autobike". I don't know how much you know about Taiwanese, but there are a lot of Japanese words in Taiwanese that were originally English words that the Japanese first Japan-ified before the Taiwanese heard them. Like "來達" for lighter. Or "突熱褲" for truck. (I'm just bullshitting with the Chinese transliterations of the Taiwanese sound.) Oh, and apparently 背 is "巴庫" bakku in Taiwanese.

Pingtung. I asked her if she had ever heard 鐵馬 to mean bike and she said, "Sure," and described that kind of motorcycle. English is stupid with homonyms. I can say about three things in Taiwanese and half of that is so I can shout at Singaporeans in Bangkok bars. But what you said makes sense since I know that beer is "biru", which is basically Japanese from English.

Another time a student asked me what my favorite food was and I replied, "Taco," and the student got confused because he didn't realize foreigners liked octopus that much. Languages are cool. My mother-in-law was trying to make small talk with me once and she found it amusing that "bathroom" in Hakka sounded vaguely like the English word "pencil". I could be misremembering that though.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
:ughh:

observation is not caring, brah

e: as Spanish and Tetsuo have said level 4 is not a comedy achievement. gj.

url fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 22, 2016

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Congrats about passing TOCFL level 4, Pandemonium. That's a real accomplishment that probably took a lot of hard work.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

Google it, bro. Tone policing is when you don't address the content of someone's post but instead decide to focus all your attention on how the post is written. See Atlas Hugged's referral to his and my similar point that Taiwanese are more immature than Westerns generally speaking but how no one cared when he said it because he used an appropriate tone, yet when I said it--complete with the subtract 5 years of their age to reach their maturity level--I was met with a couple posters calling me a casual racist. Because, you know, my tone wasn't polite enough on SA.

Another way to think of it is getting all angry because of the presentation of an argument instead of the argument itself. Like what basically everyone in this thread has been doing for ten pages. In addition to about 6 pages of wagon circling around Moon Slayer's joke coworker dating post.

Why would I ever need or want the two to be separated? The way that you say something is part of how you communicate it.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

Why would I ever need or want the two to be separated? The way that you say something is part of how you communicate it.

But it should have nothing to do with the validity or veracity of your argument. Especially online. It's very much a bad idea to say "I'm not going to consider what you said because I think you said it with a bad attitude".

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Tone_argument
http://groupthink.kinja.com/on-tone-policing-why-its-bullshit-and-why-you-need-to-1148310719
http://freethoughtblogs.com/godlessness/2014/08/17/to-the-atheist-tone-police-stop-telling-me-how-to-discuss-my-abuse/
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tone+police

Atlas Hugged posted:

Another time a student asked me what my favorite food was and I replied, "Taco," and the student got confused because he didn't realize foreigners liked octopus that much. Languages are cool. My mother-in-law was trying to make small talk with me once and she found it amusing that "bathroom" in Hakka sounded vaguely like the English word "pencil". I could be misremembering that though.

No, you're right. Taiwanese is "ben-so" and Hakka is basically the same except with a p, so "pen-so".

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Life is not entirely a debate. I'm guessing if Socrates were an abrasive rear end in a top hat we probably wouldn't give a gently caress about what he had to say.

Essentially the argument you're making the is that it is unfair that you have to observe social customs in order for people to listen to you. No one is kidding when they say you sound autistic. You'll find a lot of autists who feel the same way. You say someone is a high-functioning autist when they stop lashing out at the unfairness of their situation and recognize that the problem doesn't go away just because you're angry about it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

But it should have nothing to do with the validity or veracity of your argument. Especially online. It's very much a bad idea to say "I'm not going to consider what you said because I think you said it with a bad attitude".

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Tone_argument
http://groupthink.kinja.com/on-tone-policing-why-its-bullshit-and-why-you-need-to-1148310719
http://freethoughtblogs.com/godlessness/2014/08/17/to-the-atheist-tone-police-stop-telling-me-how-to-discuss-my-abuse/
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tone+police

But you're not the only one here making the argument you're making. Other people agree that dating a coworker is bad without being abrasive... so why should someone listen to you?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

You're a writer, you know as well as anyone that how you say something is as much a valid communicative consideration as what you say.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
Still genuinely curious and want to see the stuff you've written, too

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Saw this and thought of the thread. http://www.ajarn.com/ajarn-guests/articles/mistakes-that-long-term-teachers-make-in-thailand

quote:

3) Dating a Thai co-teacher

There are beautiful Thai (and other nationality) teachers at every school. You can chat, empathise and pull favors. Why not go out with this lovely educated woman? - and if you're sure she is the one, then yes go for it. You'll have a job for life and a career in management waiting.

If you are looking for fun however, this is a terrible, terrible idea.

If (or when) you finish with her, she will lose face. Firstly she will try to shame you into going back out with her. Then she will get mad. Then she will cry. Then her friends will shun you.

At the end of the year, if she has any clout, your contract won't be renewed.

Some background. I was chatting with another goon and we joked that there's so much shade thrown on teaching English that regardless of how legitimate your job in the industry happens to be, and quite a few are actual job jobs that pay a decent salary, there's almost always this kernel of doubt that says, "I'm wasting my life," or, "I'm not good enough for something better." So there's like this caste system in the EFL industry that has developed where people, often arbitrarily, pick another group of people in the industry and say, "Well, at least I'm better than them." We agreed that if there really were a ranking, that people who taught English in Thai public schools would absolutely be at the bottom.

This article is basically evidence of that. It isn't aimed at dumb 20 year olds who you'd forgive for making these kinds of mistakes in their year abroad. This is aimed at the old guard who have been teaching in Thailand for a decade or two who still can't figure out why they keep getting bumped from schools. I work in EFL management and I can't think of another industry where I'd see a long resume with lots of experience and immediately become suspicious of the candidate. "Why has he worked in so many schools? With all of this experience, why is he coming to an agency and not applying to schools directly? What the hell is wrong with this guy?" To come work for me from a different school, you are almost guaranteed to be taking a pay cut. We don't pay 12 month contracts, our bonuses are less than a full month's pay, and our wages aren't competitive.

Our bread and butter is getting teachers from TEFL courses that guaranteed job placement and supporting and developing new teachers over a semester or two. These teachers sometimes stick around because they like working with us but usually they move on to, well, better jobs. Most people who apply to us are friends of the above who are also new to the industry or were jerked around by one of the much worse agencies. But again, once these applicants get their footing they move on. So when someone applies to us who has been in the industry for awhile, giant loving red flags go up. It usually means they're a big loving weirdo or they assume agencies are always desperate for teachers (we are...) and never fire anyone (but we do!) and they'll be able to get away with doing absolutely the bare minimum. Not exactly people you'd want to throw job offers at.

Just look at that list of don'ts and thank your lucky stars that these people are almost always unqualified to work in Taiwan. In fact, that's a regular conversation I have around the bar here.
"So, you used to teach in Taiwan, what was that like?"
"Oh, it's great. Good pay, good benefits, good contracts, excellent students, etc."
"Think it would be hard for me to get into that?"
"Do you have a degree?"
"gently caress that. The girls are better here anyway, if you know what I mean, heh heh heh."

So I guess the takeaway from this is that if you think cram school teachers hurt the reputations of other foreigners in Taiwan, it could be so, so much worse.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

RIPD everyone Taiwan died of cold.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

yeah, rip

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Finished Witcher 3 finally.

Super happy that my FB is full of pics of snow. That whole politics poo poo lasted a whole week and clearly can't compete with more interesting poo poo. (Not even being fengci here.)

Edit: thanks to whichever one of you goons spent your hard-earned $$$ to change my pic. I'm honored!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
On a teacher's salary that is serious dedication to calling you a goon.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

And the kicker is I am IRL the least stereotypically goony person in this thread, probably be a large margin.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

True that. Someone actually cares about pandabear. I'm psyched.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

And the kicker is I am IRL the least stereotypically goony person in this thread, probably be a large margin.

I'm not a racist, that's what's so insane about all this!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

If you post some roastme selfies with your date chats during your meltdown we'll all be glad to disabuse you of that notion.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

And the kicker is I am IRL the least stereotypically goony person in this thread, probably be a large margin. I have an IQ of 155. My political beliefs are liberal and leftist, I listen to Metal and I enjoy violent movies, books and videogames.

:goonsay:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hold on to your butts!

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I'd much prefer posting them in the line group tbh.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
d'awww

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

I'd much prefer posting them in the line group tbh.

Would you stop hinting you want in that line group?
Just ask directly so someone can refuse your hilariously.
Desperation is not attractive.
That's all I'm saying, yo.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
How dare you call the least stereotypically goony person in this thread desperate!

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Barto posted:

Would you stop hinting you want in that line group?
Just ask directly so someone can refuse your hilariously.
Desperation is not attractive.
That's all I'm saying, yo.

I've already asked a few times. People just wanna continue with their retarded assumptions (as demonstrated so well by Spanish Matlock or whatever) and continue asking for me to go through the effort of hosting and then posting the screenshots here rather than get their minds blown directly on LINE.

And I'm not too interested in posting them here for random goon passersby to see. It's for a very specific audience. But I guess since you are a bunch of stereotypical goons one of you would just save the pics from LINE and post them here yourselves out of spite (same thing that got one of you to buy this nice new pic for me!)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
That picture in your avatar is pretty goony though, I'm just saying.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

I've already asked a few times.

Ever wonder why no one invited you yet?
kerker~

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Barto posted:

Ever wonder why no one invited you yet?
kerker~

I already told you what I thought. How did you miss that? It's right there, one post up. Crystal clear. So you could speak to that post or you could continue down the road of abject oafness that you are currently walking down.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

I already told you what I thought. How did you miss that? It's right there, one post up. Crystal clear. So you could speak to that post or you could continue down the road of abject oafness that you are currently walking down.

You really are just as your ex-colleagues described you----a diamond of ESL humanity.
Godspeed good goon!

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Barto posted:

You really are just as your ex-colleagues described you----a diamond of ESL humanity.
Godspeed good goon!

What are you even talking about now? What ex-coworkers? Jesus, what are you on about?

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

What are you even talking about now? What ex-coworkers? Jesus, what are you on about?

Whence is that knocking?
How is't with me, when every noise appalls me?
What hands are here? Hah! They pluck out mine eyes.
Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood
Clean from my hand? No; this my hand will rather
The multitudinous seas incarnadine,
Making the green one red.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

But I guess since you are a bunch of stereotypical goons one of you would just save the pics from LINE and post them here yourselves out of spite (same thing that got one of you to buy this nice new pic for me!)
You overestimate how much anyone cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

You overestimate how much anyone cares.

Nah, I know no one really cares. Just wanted to head off the always lovely hand waving people do on the internet when posters they disagree with or dislike post something that cannot be readily substantiated and is bragging or asserting something.