Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

:effort: time
Now here's a game that I didn't actually encounter until 2008, though it's from 1993. I grabbed it off of Abandonia when I was in tech school, didn't have internet most of the time, and was on a Mac. I got obsesses with it for a couple of weeks, and it got me to read the novel.

Dune by Cryo Interactive had a versions released across Dos, the Amiga, and the Sega-CD. It's a pretty great game that ended up being kind of forgotten due to the popularity of it's sequels developed by Westwood (Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty, Dune 2000, and Emperor: Battle for Dune). Cryo made one more Dune game themselves, Frank Herbert's Dune in 2001 to tie in with the miniseries, but it was apparently pretty lovely and did so badly that it bankrupted Cryo.

Personally I like this one the best because it's fun, really easy to get into, and has a perfect soundtrack which I'll get to later. The game is a mashup of strategy and adventure. You experience the story first person through Paul's eyes, personally going around recruiting the Fremen to your cause, keep the Emperor off your back, and ultimately defeating the Harkonnens. Though there is a larger strategy component as well that involves harvesting spice, acquiring weapons, winning battles, and terraforming the planet.

The soundtrack by Stéphane Picq is one of the best video game soundtracks of all time in my estimation. There's technically 4 versions of it; Soundblaster, MT-32, CD audio, and a recorded one released separately (Spice Opera). This is one of those rare occasions where the Soundblaster version actually sounds better than the MT-32 (From what I've read this was kind of a thing with all Cryo games), and CD audio for what its worth. They all still sound great.
Intro using Soundblaster
Intro using MT-32
Intro Using CD (Also includes Virginia Madsen prologue from film, and rendered FMV

Some standouts from the soundtrack.
Chani's Eyes: SB-16, MT-32, Spice Opera (My favorite)
Too (Ornithopter): SB-16, Spice Opera
Sign of the Worm: SB-16, [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFlgt5VGbIs]Spice Opera

Spice Opera in its entirety: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF_0W1cYPYo

One weird wrinkle is that while the game follows the novel closer than any of the Westwood games with some small differences it also includes some of the strange poo poo from the Lynch film such as wierding modules. They also modeled Paul after Kyle MacLachlan, Feyd after Sting, but all the rest of the charachters are pretty cartoony looking. Altogether it's a really fun game.

Idaho, what the gently caress is wrong with your hair?

thathonkey posted:

anybody else play the dig? (another lucas arts adventure game) -

it was fun when i was a kid. god i loved those adventure games by lucas arts.
It's in my opinion the weakest of the Lucasarts adventure games, but still pretty great. The soundtrack is awesome. What I don't care for is they ended up making a game that was kind of Myst-like in the released version, The Dig had been in development hell for years and there were a few different versions over the course of time. It feels quite lonely because you can't do much talking, you get stuck with the two most socially dysfunctional members of the crew. Still like it quite a bit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

sinking belle posted:

Machinae Supremacy are a pretty good internet relic themselves. Long ago, way before they started putting out increasingly dire full-length albums, they used to put up every new song they did for free download, available in mp3 AND ogg! :yayclod:

Discovering MaSu those 10-12 years ago was incredible. Finally some dudes who can play good rockin music *and* cover SID tunes. I remember pirating their first, super-hyped full length album (now also freely downloadable) and being massively disappointed how mundane the songs were. They still managed to record an incredible medley of Pinball Illusions tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlFXjOTTwnI

SID music is still being made by legit dudes who know their poo poo and can do magic like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO0QoAmLtn4

And let's not forget about folks who last year made whole compilation of chiptune Iron Maiden covers, for both Amiga *and* Genesis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEG3fdV6Ra4

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

There was a rumour going around a little while ago that they're gearing up for a remaster/remake of one of the versions of The Dig that got thrown out when they restarted development. I really hope something comes of that.

Mak0rz posted:

No joke Machinae Supremacy is how I found out C64 music was so rad! I used to listen to them all the time, and a lot of their music is pretty good. My favorite song is still Super Steve.

Except for the Edge Wizardry theme, that one I discovered from a collection of original SPC (Super NES sound file) compositions simply titled "Public Domain SPCs" I found on Zophar's Domain. Also discovered the kickass Space Harrier theme from the same collection.

Man, anyone remember Zophar's Domain? :allears:

I'm only 25 years young so that poo poo is definitely before my time but drat the C64 sounds so good. My bro had one and an Amiga when we were little, barely remember anything about them though. I got into masu through stumbling across that cover of Freestyler they did, can't even remember how that happened. Might have even been through SA back when I didn't have an account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkGz6zo-lHo

:krad:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mak0rz posted:

Except for the Edge Wizardry theme, that one I discovered from a collection of original SPC (Super NES sound file) compositions simply titled "Public Domain SPCs" I found on Zophar's Domain. Also discovered the kickass Space Harrier theme from the same collection.

gently caress yeah I managed to find the Wizardry cover I remember. I was never involved in computer/console demoscene, but it's pretty amazing poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvP6QnOST0g

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Man, anyone remember Zophar's Domain? :allears:

Totally, it was the place to go for all your emulation needs (aside from, you know, games and poo poo)

mcbexx I'll give you $5 for one.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

So I was looking up stuff about my parent's first computer:

and it was rad, we got my dad to drag it up from the basement and played asteroids (or whatever the equivalent) on it all day. There was some text adventure he had, but it sucked in my 11 year old eyes.

Then I found out some weird nerds online have a convention every year. I do not know how they managed to find enough to talk about in the last 26 years or so, but apparently they have a website and everything. http://ann.hollowdreams.com/

Jyrraeth has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Jan 22, 2016

Gonzo the Eggman
Apr 15, 2010

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

woodch posted:

MOD files were awesome. One of my faves from that era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3xHPIuX3s4

Edit: This one takes a little bit to get going, but once it does it's totally infectious.

Just do a search for Purple Motion. His stuff was top-shelf.

Ah, Scream Tracker and Impulse Tracker.
For classic MODS you can't go past Peter "Skaven" Hajba's Catch That Goblin! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAcWkfww30I (and, in fact, most of Skaven's work).
I think Skaven went on to write the music to the Bejewelled games.

Is that Richard Ayoade (aka Moss from The IT Crowd)?

Gonzo the Eggman has a new favorite as of 08:25 on Jan 22, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hell yes this song loving owns. They remastered it on one of their albums and made it suck but the OG version is great.

E:

Jyrraeth posted:

So I was looking up stuff about my parent's first computer:

and it was rad, we got my dad to drag it up from the basement and played asteroids (or whatever the equivalent) on it all day. There was some text adventure he had, but it sucked in my 11 year old eyes.

Then I found out some weird nerds online have a convention every year. I do not know how they managed to find enough to talk about in the last 26 years or so, but apparently they have a website and everything. http://ann.hollowdreams.com/

Our first computer was the humble Tandy 1000:

We had our share of 3.5" floppies with edutainment games like Reader Rabbit, Treasure Mountain, and one game I'm sure I'm the only person that ever laid eyes on let alone played: Alf's Thinking Skills! We also had Family Feud and Classic Concentration. Those games loving ruled. However never had Jeopardy to complete the Prime Time Game Show Videogame Trifecta.

It had a hard drive with some games installed on it (including a massive exploration-focused Star Trek game) and a simple drawing program. We eventually lost the instructions on how to run them and they quickly became forgotten. We didn't know a lot about how to use a computer, so the idea of getting DOS to pull up a list of directory contents to find them again was beyond us.

Bonus Tandy 1000 and depressed cat:

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 08:30 on Jan 22, 2016

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

c64 music is way cooler when performed live on a hacked 80s electric organ by a swedish musical genius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1YWXrGjyA

He should go on tour worldwide, I'd pay good money to see it live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiNqffWhmXA&t=370s

Gonzo the Eggman
Apr 15, 2010

A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Mak0rz posted:

"Where's the mouse? Aww, man. This computer sucks!"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

error1 posted:

c64 music is way cooler when performed live on a hacked 80s electric organ by a swedish musical genius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1YWXrGjyA

He should go on tour worldwide, I'd pay good money to see it live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiNqffWhmXA&t=370s

Machine Supremacy were from Sweden too. Why are they all Swedish?

Gonzo the Eggman
Apr 15, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Machine Supremacy were from Sweden too. Why are they all Swedish?

Not all. Press Play on Tape are from Denmark.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have just remembered one of my first strategy games that I used to play on my old 386:

Konami had some pretty nice strategy games at that time.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

My sisters had one of these glorified typewriters when I was a little kid. I remember spending a lot of time marveling at the orange/yellow-on-black screen, doing what could only be described as early failed attempts at ASCII art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFufNMgV-J0

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Doctor Bombadil posted:

I have just remembered one of my first strategy games that I used to play on my old 386:

Konami had some pretty nice strategy games at that time.

386? It must have flew.
I played the hell out of that on my Olivetti 086.

Remember sexing the vassels?

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

fist4jesus posted:

386? It must have flew.
I played the hell out of that on my Olivetti 086.

Remember sexing the vassels?

It did flew, I played it with Turbo button off.

I was really disappointed when they removed sexing the vassals in 2, though it was better game in every respect.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Casimir Radon posted:

:effort: time
Now here's a game that I didn't actually encounter until 2008, though it's from 1993. I grabbed it off of Abandonia when I was in tech school, didn't have internet most of the time, and was on a Mac. I got obsesses with it for a couple of weeks, and it got me to read the novel.

I loved that game, even though it was torn up in some gaming magazines back then. (You know, when ~gaming journalism~ had still a shred of decency. It was not impossible for games to get genuinely bad reviews when they were bad and it was also not impossible that different magazines had different opinions! Imagine that.) The Amiga soundtrack is especially good, even better than the other ones IMHO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOFf79OhAIw

Gonzo the Eggman posted:

Is that Richard Ayoade (aka Moss from The IT Crowd)?

That's a likeness of Kyle MacLachlan, from the David Lynch Version of Dune where the game's trippyness came from.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

actually, has any boutique electronic company colored their products "stained plastic yellow", to remind me of hand me down game consoles?

The yellowing in many cases is actually a chemical reaction happening with the fire retardant they used to put into some of the plastics. It's interestingly enough fully reversible with a peroxide solution and UV-Light and things get their original color back. But plastic != plastic and the mileage varies wildly. Some plastics can become brittle, often the yellow eventually comes back. Not worth the effort IMHO.

I have some IBM Model M Keyboards (and one 122 key Terminal keyboard) from the 80s and they're still pearly white. It does not happen with all plastics from that era.

The 6581 SID of the older C64s (the sound chip) is an interesting piece of hardware because as especially the early revisions had very wild manufacturing tolerances, pretty much ensuring that no two SIDs sound alike playing the same music. The later in years (and revisions) you get, the less this is an effect. These ICs are very fragile and break very often, especially the early ones. (Commdore/MOS Semiconductor Group also had problems with the manufacturing process. You gotta understand, mass manufacturing of computers at this scale was simply not done before) A friend with the appropriate equipment once carefully drilled a SID out to measure the temperature closest to the die of the chip and if I recall correctly in a closed up C64 it was well past 90 degrees celsius in operation. (194F) That chip is usually uncooled, some board revisions have a piece of metal as heatsink attached to the chip but there seems to be no system in if Commodore did this or not. The latest revision of SID doesn't get as hot as it is a different manufacturing process (HMOS-II).

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Best 8bits era song: Solstice Theme for the NES

https://youtu.be/ypNPxwnppU0

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mak0rz posted:

The struggle between cat and machine continues to this day :smith:

EDIT:

VVV THanks rear end in a top hat, now I have that stuck in my head and no way to listen to it :mad: VVV

Iron Crowned has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Jan 22, 2016

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

You see me now a veteran of a thousand psychic wars.
I've been living on the edge so long, where the winds of limbo roar
And I'm young enough to look at, and far too old to see
All the scars are on the inside
I'm not sure that there's anything left of me

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Kmlkmljkl posted:

yo did any of you guys have this thing? allows you to play gameboy games on your SNES. p cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sfiTMybZTs

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
There are 2 games I cannot for the life of me find info about, but they were a huge part of my young childhood gaming sessions.

First one was called (at least on my PC) "Jeep", and it was a 2d top down at a slight angle scrolling game where you drove a jeep over and around mud pits, logs, etc. You could get stuck, and it used the built in PC speaker for its engine noises, which I can still remember. The color scheme was black and red IIRC, and it was very basic. Played it around 1989-1992, and so far I can't find a single thing about it online.

Fake edit: I just found my second game!
It was called visual Star Trek, and I would have a blast exploring different stars and galaxies and getting tribbles on my ship! It came out in 1990 and had a sequel, but I don't know if I ever played it.

Have some floppy disks I need to take photos of, got even more old game stuff laying around!

E: My dad made his own DOS UI, it was a layered menu thing where you could scroll down the list to pick whatever program you wanted, it would have a folder for games, work, etc. For a young Gasmask this was amazing; it pretty much meant I never had to deal with loading the games, my dad had set it up ahead of time! I don't know what he made it in, but it did set me on a path that ended up with me getting wayyyyy into "coding", which involved lots of w32dasm, hiew16, resED, and poo poo around 1996, which then led to cracking a bunch of shareware and eventually having the FBI contact my parents for credit card fraud because while in 6th grade I ordered something like 6-10k worth of 3D modeling software (which I already had pirated copies of...) using a stolen credit card from Sweden, a fake name, but my real address.

Since I was so young the people who owned the card chose not to pursue charges, but I got grounded for a long-rear end time and learned a bit about what not to do when breaking the law.

E2: and now I'm going down memory lane re: top sites, ftp sites, getting a leaked copy of Renderman right after Toy Story came out (still no idea how that actually ended up in my hands), having to install NT so I could use Softimage 3D, cracking the demo of the first release of Maya for my own personal enjoyment (meaning I could load, save, and all that). Only thing I couldn't do was get rid of the overlay on the render - that was probably hardcoded in and well above my skill level.

If I'd kept it up I could've leveraged it into a good school and a good job, but my parents were really unhappy with the legal attention I'd been getting and strongly encouraged me to do something else with my life.

The Gasmask has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jan 22, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Best 8bits era song: Solstice Theme for the NES

https://youtu.be/ypNPxwnppU0

Thanks for this. Thick as a Brick is one of my favorite albums ever and this was very clearly inspired by it!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

The Gasmask posted:

There are 2 games I cannot for the life of me find info about, but they were a huge part of my young childhood gaming sessions.

First one was called (at least on my PC) "Jeep", and it was a 2d top down at a slight angle scrolling game where you drove a jeep over and around mud pits, logs, etc. You could get stuck, and it used the built in PC speaker for its engine noises, which I can still remember. The color scheme was black and red IIRC, and it was very basic. Played it around 1989-1992, and so far I can't find a single thing about it online.

It was called visual Star Trek, and I would have a blast exploring different stars and galaxies and getting tribbles on my ship! It came out in 1990 and had a sequel, but I don't know if I ever played it.

Have some floppy disks I need to take photos of, got even more old game stuff laying around!

E: My dad made his own DOS UI, it was a layered menu thing where you could scroll down the list to pick whatever program you wanted, it would have a folder for games, work, etc. For a young Gasmask this was amazing; it pretty much meant I never had to deal with loading the games, my dad had set it up ahead of time! I don't know what he made it in, but it did set me on a path that ended up with me getting wayyyyy into "coding", which involved lots of w32dasm, hiew16, resED, and poo poo around 1996, which then led to cracking a bunch of shareware and eventually having the FBI contact my parents for credit card fraud because while in 6th grade I ordered something like 6-10k worth of 3D modeling software (which I already had pirated copies of...) using a stolen credit card from Sweden, a fake name, but my real address.

Since I was so young the people who owned the card chose not to pursue charges, but I got grounded for a long-rear end time and learned a bit about what not to do when breaking the law.

E2: and now I'm going down memory lane re: top sites, ftp sites, getting a leaked copy of Renderman right after Toy Story came out (still no idea how that actually ended up in my hands), having to install NT so I could use Softimage 3D, cracking the demo of the first release of Maya for my own personal enjoyment (meaning I could load, save, and all that). Only thing I couldn't do was get rid of the overlay on the render - that was probably hardcoded in and well above my skill level.

If I'd kept it up I could've leveraged it into a good school and a good job, but my parents were really unhappy with the legal attention I'd been getting and strongly encouraged me to do something else with my life.

Haha, my friend and ran an FTP server.. His mom got a nasty letter from their small-town ISP and came in to yell at us and see what was going on. We showed her how we'd set it up, how it worked, what we'd had uploaded to us... We booted up pirated Unreal Tournament and showed her levels we made, and some 3D models we made as well.

She was impressed as hell actually. She was a cool mom. She told my dad, and next week my friend and I were signed up for a bunch of computer classes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Gasmask posted:

Thought this story was going to end with "I now work at Dreamworks and have three story pitches before the board"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man, that DuckTales moon theme really just makes the whole world nuts, doesn't it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwbMkIROOGU

(rightly so)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Played this a lot. My friend had it for C64, and I got it later for PC. I was very disappointed by the much shittier color. I managed to finish the game, but only once.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Data Graham posted:

Thought this story was going to end with "I now work at Dreamworks and have three story pitches before the board"

Hah, if only. I couldn't really separate from the desire to be a leet cracker, so even when my parents attempted to grow my actual 3D modeling skills by buying me Inspire 3D (budget version of Lightwave) and Poser, plus a couple of plugins, I kept on scouring the web for the newest 0-days and the most esoteric/rarest programs. I couldn't even learn the Inspire/Lightwave flow, the program had separate modeler and scene apps so instead of being able to model something then immediately animate or render, I'd have to import it into the scene program. And if something didn't look right on the model I'd have to close the scene app and reopen modeler, gently caress around, then hope it would look right when imported. This was significantly more complicated in my mind than the program I'd been using for a few years (and could have the newest versions), so I pretty much just used it when I wanted different render options and already had something made in MAX.

I didn't even realize just how crazy my skills were - I taught myself how to unwrap meshes to make textures, how to do both box-based modeling and NURBS, how to output a scene command-line to my Renderman server (I had a 3 PC "render farm"), and even poo poo like morph targets for facial animation, synced perfectly to audio clips.

Instead I thought of it as a hobby that I was terrible at that seemed to get me into trouble, and once I got into high school I decided I was going to be a musician/recording engineer instead. Which, admittedly, did go over a lot better with my parents and is something I still do.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Mak0rz posted:

Our first computer was the humble Tandy 1000:

This just made me remember that when I was little, one Halloween my mom took me "trick-or-treating" during the day at a shopping center that was doing it for some reason. Most of the stores had candy, but I got a few weird things, like a keychain for a smooth jazz radio station, and a Whiz Kids comic book from Radio Shack. This one, I think:

In an extremely 90s situation, the Tandy Whiz Kids use their Tandy 1000 to learn about recycling, and then use a Tandy camcorder to shoot a movie about it! And save the environment or something probably!

There's also an Archie comic in there. After eating a nutritious breakfast, low in fat and cholesterol, Archie goes on a field trip to a science museum, which has all of the teenagers genuinely excited and not at all bored or irritated. They learn about electricity, and then the pinnacle of electronics, the Tandy 1000. This youngster goes mad with power while demonstrating how to use the Tandy 1000 to access an electronic encyclopedia.

That's from 1991, so I was five and had no idea what a Tandy was. It was perplexing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

you were warned posted:

This just made me remember that when I was little, one Halloween my mom took me "trick-or-treating" during the day at a shopping center that was doing it for some reason. Most of the stores had candy, but I got a few weird things, like a keychain for a smooth jazz radio station, and a Whiz Kids comic book from Radio Shack. This one, I think:

In an extremely 90s situation, the Tandy Whiz Kids use their Tandy 1000 to learn about recycling, and then use a Tandy camcorder to shoot a movie about it! And save the environment or something probably!

There's also an Archie comic in there. After eating a nutritious breakfast, low in fat and cholesterol, Archie goes on a field trip to a science museum, which has all of the teenagers genuinely excited and not at all bored or irritated. They learn about electricity, and then the pinnacle of electronics, the Tandy 1000. This youngster goes mad with power while demonstrating how to use the Tandy 1000 to access an electronic encyclopedia.

That's from 1991, so I was five and had no idea what a Tandy was. It was perplexing.

Wow I retract my statement. The Tandy 1000 was not humble at all!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
That picture is of the 1000 HX (and maybe the cat one is the 1000 EX) which were sort of oddballs in the Tandy 1000 line. Unlike most other computers in their line that used somewhat standard design, they required the use of a proprietary upgrade cards which had WAY more options produced by third-parties sold through magazines than by Tandy/Radio Shack itself.

Also, the Tandy Color Computer line which still has a following with some folks.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

I remember playing Number Munchers all the time in computer class

And now and then Cross Country Canada

There were also a Number Munchers quiz game that had you walk around and be quizzed on stuff that wanted to be an RPG but i can't find it. There was also an Endless Ocean like game as well.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

stubblyhead posted:

Played this a lot. My friend had it for C64, and I got it later for PC. I was very disappointed by the much shittier color. I managed to finish the game, but only once.
I have the vaguest memory of this on C64. Recall the name?

We played the hell out of Way of The Exploding Fist too.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

stubblyhead posted:

I bought it for the C64 from some place out of Compute Gazette. Not a single one of my copy programs would copy it. I wound up giving the disc to my mom who took it to a guy she worked with and he manually cracked the protection on it.

I doubt back then it would have traveled very far, but if any of you happened to have a copy of Bruce Lee that said it was "Cracked by Bruce O", that was him.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

The first computer we had at home was one of these:

The Commodore VIC-20. Attached to this:

The 1702 Monitor. This would go on to be the first TV I had in my room, using a VCR as a tuner.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sten Freak posted:

I have the vaguest memory of this on C64. Recall the name?

We played the hell out of Way of The Exploding Fist too.

Bruce Lee, by Datasoft. You could do two player, and player two would be that green sumo wrestler or whatever fixing to get his rear end beat right there. I could routinely get to the room at around 12:08 in this video, but always got hosed up on the third or fourth walkway. The rest of the game was pretty anti-climactic as I recall.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Jun 24, 2020

Gonzo the Eggman
Apr 15, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

That's a likeness of Kyle MacLachlan, from the David Lynch Version of Dune where the game's trippyness came from.

Are you sure? It's, like the spitting image of him.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ello tech support have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Mechanism Eight posted:

good lord :shittypop:

Which rad af operator logo did you all have as kids?

I forked out for the F/M Bus cable so I made a bit of money loading logos and tones. Also unlocking was a big thing those days.

I remember an older phone - the Ericsson A1018s I had that I reflashed with a home made cable to instead of act like a phone, would copy any SIM that was inserted.