Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It was fun and neat to see Cruise play the kind of lovely persona in it. He did well IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

morestuff posted:

It was on HBO GO last I looked.

Edit: looks like its cycled out. Not even available for rental on the major sites.

World of Tomorrow is on Netflix. It is great.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

World of Tomorrow is on Netflix. It is great.

Edge of Tomorrow and World of Tomorrow are very, very different films.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Sarchasm posted:

This is like when I wanted to watch Midnight Run but accidentally rented Midnight Express.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Every nerd gushes about Edge of Tomorrow which makes me feel weird for thinking it's kinda lousy.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Bone Tomahawk was some loving movie. It's a slow burn western/horror that builds up to a harrowing climax as a small posse from a frontier town set out into the wilderness on a rescue mission. It's filled with scenes of white knuckle tension and fantastic chemistry between the group of four as they descend into the proverbial heart of darkness. This is probably one of my favorite movies of 2015 just for how different it is.
Has anyone else seen it? Someone told me it had pretty mixed reviews and I'd be curious to hear from someone who wasn't enamored with the movie like I am.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He creates the eats while he spins the beats. And he won, what, 2k? Nice job, doofus.

I don't remember exactly what it was, but he blew almost all his cash on the very first (super easy) sabotage the second they started bidding. Alton was like "who will give me a hundred for this canned corn" and he just blurted out "20,000!!!!!!" and everyone was like WTF. At least I'm pretty sure that was the episode. It was the funniest thing I've seen on that show.

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Every nerd gushes about Edge of Tomorrow which makes me feel weird for thinking it's kinda lousy.

I thought it was serviceable but I don't get the love for it. To me it was right on par with other middle of the road Tom Cruise sci fi flicks like Minority Report and Oblivion. Fun to watch, but totally forgettable.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 22, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

That Works posted:

It was fun and neat to see Cruise play the kind of lovely persona in it. He did well IMO

Tom Cruise is at his best when his character is at least something of an rear end in a top hat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Tom Cruise is at his best when his character is at least something of an rear end in a top hat.

Absolutely agree.

It wasn't like some world beating movie, just more that I thought it was probably going to suck and at best just be very mediocre and it ended up being pretty good and entertaining. Not gonna rave about it but its a decent enough sci fi movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

I don't remember exactly what it was, but he blew almost all his cash on the very first (super easy) sabotage the second they started bidding. Alton was like "who will give me a hundred for this canned corn" and he just blurted out "20,000!!!!!!" and everyone was like WTF. At least I'm pretty sure that was the episode. It was the funniest thing I've seen on that show.

I thought it was serviceable but I don't get the love for it. To me it was right on par with other middle of the road Tom Cruise sci fi flicks like Minority Report and Oblivion. Fun to watch, but totally forgettable.

I haven't seen Oblivion but Minority Report is literally one of my favorite films ever, so different strokes I guess,

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

They are! And I only realized my mix-up after I posted.

Buuuuut they have some slight thematic similarities, so let's pretend it was a next-level alternate suggestion.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon has a pretty decent stable of original content in the pipeline.

Spike Lee's Chi-Raq
Jim Jarmusch's Paterson
Terry Gilliam's The Man Who Killed Don Quixote
Nicolas Winding Refn's The Neon Demon
Elvis & Nixon starring Kevin Spacey & Michael Shannon
Desired Moments starring Kristen Wiig
Complete Unknown starring Rachel Weisz & Michael Shannon
Untitled Woody Allen miniseries

All of them should be out by the end of the year.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Call Me Charlie posted:

Terry Gilliam's The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

I guess Amazon's going bankrupt by the end of the year

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Minority Report just makes me wish I was watching The Fifth Element instead.

Edge of Tomorrow kinda turns very generic at the end, but it's a very funny and fun action movie in an era where those are fairly hard to come by.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Lurdiak posted:

Yup.

Lurdiak posted:

Edge of Tomorrow kinda turns very generic at the end, but it's a very funny and fun action movie in an era where those are fairly hard to come by.

Yup.

I also liked Edge of Tomorrow way better than World of Tomorrow, which I thought was just a bit too precious.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

That Works posted:

Absolutely agree.

It wasn't like some world beating movie, just more that I thought it was probably going to suck and at best just be very mediocre and it ended up being pretty good and entertaining. Not gonna rave about it but its a decent enough sci fi movie.

Yeah. It was nice to see an action movie that was a little clever, not part of a franchise or whatever, had a sense of humor and fun. Not the greatest movie ever, but nice to see. I wish they made more action movies that check those boxes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Edge of Tomorrow is on Netflix somewhere, I watched it using SmartFlix.

fake edit: It's on Netflix Denmark. And yeah it's the most I've liked Cruise in something since Vanilla Sky or Minority Report for sure.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Call Me Charlie posted:

Spike Lee's Chi-Raq

I hope somebody tries to cash in on this with a super low budget biopic of Jacques Chirac.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Much like your opinions on Edge of Tomorrow, while better than Minority Report, The Fifth Element is not as good as everyone says

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

a worthy uhh posted:

Much like your opinions on Edge of Tomorrow, while better than Minority Report, The Fifth Element is not as good as everyone says

I agree with this. Enjoyed the film but pretty forgettable for me.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Yeaa the end of Edge of Tomorrow is bad, not so much the everybody lives happily ever after thing, but more of them having to kill the end boss and everything in Paris not being great. I guess that's down to the good guys losing their magic powers which made the movie funny and excellent, and without them it was just dull action.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

a worthy uhh posted:

The Fifth Element is written like a children's comedy but it has titties and blatant depictions of oral sex, so it comes across really weird. Fantastic production design, though, and Chris Tucker is great.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Well it is from Fronce where it seems like folks aren't as uptight about sexy themes in all-audiences movies as we are in the US. Fifth Element has aged amazingly well for an effects-heavy sci fi film from the frigging 1990s.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

a worthy uhh posted:

Finally! Someone who agrees with me!

I saw the damned thing on opening night and my friends loving loved it, I loving hated it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Battle Creek is a pretty solid show. I love Dean Winters' curmudgeon act, and its enough of a police procedural but not so bad that you can predict the culprit in the first 5 minutes of the show. And created by Vince Gilligan of Breaking Bad :dance:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 22, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That Works posted:

I agree with this. Enjoyed the film but pretty forgettable for me.

If you can forget Gary Oldman, Chris Tucker and Milla Jovovich then you've got a worse memory than mine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

McSpanky posted:

If you can forget Gary Oldman, Chris Tucker and Milla Jovovich then you've got a worse memory than mine.

Maybe forgettable isn't the right word. "less replay value" is better. Like, I've seen Dredd more times than I've watched 5th Element and if element was on right now I probably wouldn't sit down and watch through the rest of it unless I was reaaaaaaly bored.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

quote:

One of the best pilot TV episodes we've seen in ages was for Amazon's Mad Dogs, a drama led by Shawn Ryan of The Shield and Terriers fame. It stars Christopher from The Sopranos, Billy Zane, and Steve Zahn as old friends who are vacationing in Belize until things go very dark and very weird. Sit back, click play, and enjoy this thrill ride. The whole season premiered today and the last 15 minutes of the pilot will have you on the edge of your seat.

You had me at Shawn Ryan.

:getin:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Honestly the last time I rewatched The Fifth Element it wasn't nearly as good as I remember. The great parts are still absolutely great (MOOLTIPASS, Gary Oldman, Chris Tucker, the general design etc) but it's definitely not aged as well as City of Lost Children

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I feel bad for "Christopher from The Sopranos" that the writer trusts you know who Zane and Zahn are but not him

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Bone Tomahawk was some loving movie. It's a slow burn western/horror that builds up to a harrowing climax as a small posse from a frontier town set out into the wilderness on a rescue mission. It's filled with scenes of white knuckle tension and fantastic chemistry between the group of four as they descend into the proverbial heart of darkness. This is probably one of my favorite movies of 2015 just for how different it is.
Has anyone else seen it? Someone told me it had pretty mixed reviews and I'd be curious to hear from someone who wasn't enamored with the movie like I am.
Wait - so Kurt Russell is in two suspenseful 2015 Westerns featuring his awesome mustache? Does that seem odd to anybody else?

The movie looks awesome. But it's not streaming yet, (at least on Netflix). But I can't wait to see it.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

magnificent7 posted:

Wait - so Kurt Russell is in two suspenseful 2015 Westerns featuring his awesome mustache? Does that seem odd to anybody else?

The movie looks awesome. But it's not streaming yet, (at least on Netflix). But I can't wait to see it.

It went up on Amazon Prime recently. It's definitely worth a watch if you can.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

red19fire posted:

You had me at Shawn Ryan.

:getin:

Quoting myself because this pilot episode is loving insane.

magnificent7 posted:

Kurt Russell could easily be a time traveller from the 1860s. in Hateful 8 and Bone Tomahawk he's basically the human embodiment of a Single Action Army revolver.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That Works posted:

Maybe forgettable isn't the right word. "less replay value" is better. Like, I've seen Dredd more times than I've watched 5th Element and if element was on right now I probably wouldn't sit down and watch through the rest of it unless I was reaaaaaaly bored.

I can respect that, besides the fine character acting I mentioned the memorable moments are really memorable and there's a lot of great little worldbuilding touches here and there but it does tend to drag between those moments. I really enjoyed it but I don't feel a great need to rewatch it either, I've only seen it maybe three times total since it came out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Honestly the last time I rewatched The Fifth Element it wasn't nearly as good as I remember. The great parts are still absolutely great (MOOLTIPASS, Gary Oldman, Chris Tucker, the general design etc) but it's definitely not aged as well as City of Lost Children

Strong disagree, but then I kinda can't stand Jeunet.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

The Fifth Element is one of my favorite movies, but really one of the strangest things about it is that the hero and the villain are never in the same room together at any moment.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I mention this every time the movie comes up but my absolute favorite thing about the FE is the completely uncommented-upon fake white Ruby Rhod who's hard of hearing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I mention this every time the movie comes up but my absolute favorite thing about the FE is the completely uncommented-upon fake white Ruby Rhod who's hard of hearing.

i don't know if i even noticed that til like my third time through, it's amazing

i think the Ruby Rhod scenes are, if anything, even funnier now than they were in 1997

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

magnificent7 posted:

My guess would be he was filming both movies either the same time, or one after the other. Get that Kurt Russell mustache while you can, said both studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Kurt Russel makes a hell of a cowboy in both movies, but Bone Tomahawk was the better film.