Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Pretty certain folks like Edil and Alicia never gave up and are going along with the plan to become powerful enough to oppose the king. Zell prolly lost it a bit, but I think the others are still on Helcks side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

El Burbo posted:

Azudora is the best and I want him to win but I also want to know what Mikaros wants to do with the gate.

He's going to summon Nippon soldiers from the 21st century.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Is barrier guy dead??? He can't be, right?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6KA4oTZ-WQ

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I really doubt he's dead considering there was zero fanfare and they were making jokes about edil's crush on hyura like two pages later

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
DEFENSE BOMBER!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

how do you pronounce piuy

pew-wee

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

how do you pronounce piuy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUP8jr74R0

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I love this manga so far, but I wish HELCK had more facial variety than "jolly" and "serious".

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ViggyNash posted:

I love this manga so far, but I wish HELCK had more facial variety than "jolly" and "serious".

Well, he's getting prettier by the minute so he'll probably add "dreamy" to the repertoire soon.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

ViggyNash posted:

Don't forget "HELLO!"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
His jolly face is also his depressed face.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

helck beaten up and tired after beating thousands of new world organisms and faceless winged soldiers looks up and sees an arrow pointed right at his head by the hooded winged soldier. helck with a tear in his eye and a great big smile on his face looks up and says i love you alicia al-right

ftfy :buddy::hf::buddy:

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
On what day do we get more HELCK?

two for the shoah
Jan 14, 2016

doghands is the loving best

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I say that Vamirio is actually Piccolo, not Vegeta

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

El Burbo posted:

I say that Vamirio is actually Piccolo, not Vegeta

Too strong, I think defense guy is Piccolo, Fast dude is Krillan, Hyura is 18.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

AtomikKrab posted:

Too strong, I think defense guy is Piccolo, Fast dude is Krillan, Hyura is 18.

Edil is Krillin. Dude can't stop dying but 18 is waiting for him at the end of the tunnel

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Don't forget low-effort smile! |‿|

I wish Helck had a less dumb name. I know they're going for the Hercules joke with him and his brother but I still don't like it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I wish Helck had a less dumb name. I know they're going for the Hercules joke with him and his brother but I still don't like it.

pot calling the kettle black

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The art in this isn't getting better, by the way. This is all from Vamirio's point of view so his changing appearance is based on her opinion of him. He looked like some stereotypical dumb brute at first cause she hated him, and now he's looking different because she feels differently about him and sees there's more to him than dumb brute.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like Helck's name, but I do not like Cless' name.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

pot calling the kettle black

I hate having to name things for websites and games

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Helck's name could not be more perfect. It somehow fits him perfectly, plus for some reason it looks hilarious when written like HELCK

I mean, early on we're supposed to view him (at least superficially) like this big goofy muscly dude, and Helck seems to fit that pretty accurately. It helps contrast with what we later find out about his background and personality.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

How are the names rendered in the original Japanese, anyway? There are a lot of those terminal consonants that Japanese does not seem keen on.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The art in this isn't getting better, by the way. This is all from Vamirio's point of view so his changing appearance is based on her opinion of him. He looked like some stereotypical dumb brute at first cause she hated him, and now he's looking different because she feels differently about him and sees there's more to him than dumb brute.

Isn't getting better? What's wrong with it?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Megafunk posted:

On what day do we get more HELCK?

nice av.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The characters have changed from the first few chapters. Vamirio's tendency to rage uncontrollably is gone, as is Helck's tendency to play around. Whether that is due to character development or gradual revisions by the author is unclear, but also unimportant.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dzhay posted:

How are the names rendered in the original Japanese, anyway? There are a lot of those terminal consonants that Japanese does not seem keen on.

Heruku, Kuresu, Ediru, Rafaedo, Mikarosu, etc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I like Helck's name, but I do not like Cless' name.

what's wrong with cless

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

AnonSpore posted:

Heruku, Kuresu, Ediru, Rafaedo, Mikarosu, etc.

So the slightly European-like names are just the translator's quirky interpretation, huh. It's way more obvious from this transliteration that the brothers are supposed to be named something like "Herk" and "Kuleas."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rodyle posted:

jokes aside I am mostly just sick of Mikaros floating around all smug and invincible when Rafaed and the King are more interesting (assuming the King is an individual) relative to Generic Evil Wizard Man

I mostly find both of them interesting in that they're almost certainly both simply awakened heroes themselves and at least Rafaed seems to be struggling in what little way he can against it, since he talks quite calmly to Helck about things in a tone that suggests he bears him no ill will and simply doesn't seem a good end point in line for humanity anymore - only for Helck personally. He's suggested to Helck that humanity is hosed so Helck should just go find some measure of happiness elsewhere a couple of times now I think. Mikaros isn't as nice to him, but he does have the high regeneration we've witnessed in other monsters Helck has fought and he seemed to kindly and not at all creepy in the past to have always been bad in my opinion. I think both of them, and possibly the king too are just the pawns in a greater scheme, presumably originating or at least including the enemies the demons are fighting to the north.

Mikl posted:

I like that this chapter shows that the awakened humans still have a little bit of free will. Edil, for example, clearly intervened in the fight between Mikaros and Hyura to save Hyura's life. It's probably some sort of "exact words" thing going on, i.e. the king says "go and fight the demons" without any specific details. This allows the humans to follow the orders to the letter while still being able to do as they wish. I just hope Mikaros doesn't figure it out, or that loophole will be closed real quick.

I don't think he can really close that loophole as such. Them retaining their personality is an intrinsic part of the process used to make them stronger so he can't subsume their personality, at least, not with that particular spell. He may be able to close it with another spell. Other than that, all he can do is keep a stricter eye on them and give more stringent orders.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I really doubt he's dead considering there was zero fanfare and they were making jokes about edil's crush on hyura like two pages later

I love that even in universe people are starting to make jokes about that.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

tsob posted:

I don't think he can really close that loophole as such. Them retaining their personality is an intrinsic part of the process used to make them stronger so he can't subsume their personality, at least, not with that particular spell. He may be able to close it with another spell. Other than that, all he can do is keep a stricter eye on them and give more stringent orders.

That was what I meant, but I didn't make it clear in my post. My bad. On the other hand, since the humans have to follow the king's orders, the king (or whoever is controlling him, since I'm betting he's just a puppet too) must be really careful not to give orders that are too strict to avoid gimping the human's fighting. For example, if the humans were ordered to "attack the demons at Shin Castle", they would be unable to stop attacking the demons at Shin Castle, even if they were needed elsewhere, essentially precluding them from re-deploying on the fly to face new threaths.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Mirage posted:

So the slightly European-like names are just the translator's quirky interpretation, huh. It's way more obvious from this transliteration that the brothers are supposed to be named something like "Herk" and "Kuleas."

The name of the manga is literally Helck

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

tsob posted:

I mostly find both of them interesting in that they're almost certainly both simply awakened heroes themselves and at least Rafaed seems to be struggling in what little way he can against it, since he talks quite calmly to Helck about things in a tone that suggests he bears him no ill will and simply doesn't seem a good end point in line for humanity anymore - only for Helck personally. He's suggested to Helck that humanity is hosed so Helck should just go find some measure of happiness elsewhere a couple of times now I think. Mikaros isn't as nice to him, but he does have the high regeneration we've witnessed in other monsters Helck has fought and he seemed to kindly and not at all creepy in the past to have always been bad in my opinion. I think both of them, and possibly the king too are just the pawns in a greater scheme, presumably originating or at least including the enemies the demons are fighting to the north.

I'm pretty sure Rafaed and Mikaros are the actual villains here. I mean they could introduce some new third party that's "actually" the mastermind behind everything, but that would be dumb. Mikaros and (especially) Rafaed both have personal connections to Helck which along with their definitely ominous long-range plans make them good villains. Introducing someone with no actual connection to the characters beyond "I was in control all along hahaha" would be Bleach poo poo.

Mikaros seems like's the kind of villain you're meant to hate, what with gleefully smug he is about doing the evil poo poo. Him being nicer in the past is explicitly fake, since from the moment he discovered Cless he's been grooming him for his purposes.

Rafaed seems more like the noble type of villain, with an understandable goal but heinous methods that ultimately make him someone that needs to be killed. He's definitely awakened since he wasn't affected by the awakening snow, and I'm of the opinion he's the actual one with the domination power and the King is just a puppet (which is why Cless's sword didn't kill him).

I'd be surprised if the threat to the north ends up coming up significantly in the story. It seems primarily a way to have the empire be both strong but also susceptible to the potential threats the awakened humans bring. Like, that's why the emperor doesn't just pop over to the human kingdom to roast everything to ash or w/e.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if them dying leads into a new arc dealing with where they're drawing power from

also it'll definitely go into detail on the war in the north. it's still tied to the demons and they make up like half the cast at least. you don't just set up a threat like that and then ignore it

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Adlai Stevenson posted:

The name of the manga is literally Helck

Obviously that would need to be changed as well.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

also it'll definitely go into detail on the war in the north. it's still tied to the demons and they make up like half the cast at least. you don't just set up a threat like that and then ignore it

That's literally what the manga does when they first mention the northern front, IIRC

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The story has ignored it so far, that doesn't mean the story will ignore it forever. The story has set up the idea that the demon world is being hosed pretty hard not just by the awakened human invasion, but by far greater and older forces that have left it in a permanently bad state. The atmosphere is polluted and they have to keep in barriered cities for their own health, monsters infest the entire place (as well as the human country) and extra-dimensional ones pose an additional threat. All of which is an un-natural state of affairs brought about by something else, but spilling over in to other countries, like the place where humans live. There is essentially no chance that the story won't deal with resolving that to some degree and Mikaros and Rafaed cannot be behind it, at least on their own, because they're just not old or even really ambitious enough. They've only really ever spoken about the demon world, at least in terms of their own plans, but whatever is screwing the demon world (and the world as a whole really) is a bigger thing and has greater implications so I can't see them being behind it on that front either.

Plus, with the revelation that Rafaed's daughter is the only remaining normal human I just don't see him being ultimately a villain. It's too obviously a parallel to the brother that saved his sister and countrymen by invoking the curse. He almost certainly invoked it for what he saw as the greater good, not because he's an evil person. Mikaros I can see being that guy, though I don't personally believe he is. Rafaed I can't.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

Obviously that would need to be changed as well.

Its literally "helck", in english

• Locked thread