Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This prequel arc is sick, almost wish the whole of part 8 focused on these two. Well I guess it does but, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Continuing from the Josefumi stand discussion, I am a little disappointed that it looks more like Soft & Wet. Well, more specifically, it's Soft & Wet's line down that middle I'm not too down with, because to me it symbolized Josuke being two different people.

Not really too big of a deal, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Crazy Diamond eyes for Josefumi seem to be gone too, unless that's significant as well.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Butt Ghost posted:

Continuing from the Josefumi stand discussion, I am a little disappointed that it looks more like Soft & Wet. Well, more specifically, it's Soft & Wet's line down that middle I'm not too down with, because to me it symbolized Josuke being two different people.

Not really too big of a deal, though.

my guess it will look about the same, but without the big crest.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Could well have one of Josuke's other symbols that Josefumi also wears, such as a heart or Peace sign instead of the anchor which is sort of a Kira thing in JJL.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
I hate being caught up with this drat comic. I want more of the flashback and the present events. I mean, Joshuu's been stuck in that sink for, what?, months now.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

LOVED the backstory with Josefumi but listen it's hardly going to be a surprise to anyone that I already love Josefumi, period. It's the pomp. Even the waffle shirt's growing on me.
I agree with everything about this except for the part about the waffle shirt. I'm getting attached to these characters, even though I know they're more or less dead in the present time, and even though it's kind of weird to see a version of Kira being a decent human being.

Also, I find it hard to believe that Josefumi's stand is just going to be S+W with a couple of different details, when it seems like Araki is deliberately holding off giving us a full shot of it. My bet is that it'll have similar eyes and maybe the anchor, but beyond that...? I know the anchor motif is more of a Kira thing, but his stand doesn't have it, and if Josefumi got his stand from this swimming accident, maybe it's fitting for it to have some kind of nautical symbol? I'm probably reaching here.

I don't want this earlier post to get lost in the middle of update chat, so:

Daxing Dan posted:

Well, good news is someone from JJCA let me know he was more than happy to help with the typesetting. I've already written up a first-draft script and sent it in to him, so fingers crossed that we'll see results soon.
Fantastic! Was it Bracketier? I know he posted something a while ago about looking into getting someone to produce a better translation. You guys (and the rest of the team) did such good work on the coloured version of Part 4.

quote:

Anyway, as far as my assessment of DM's translation goes, I don't think their biggest issue is with tone or word choice, as you guys mentioned. But, English was always my worst subject, so maybe I'm not one to judge anyway. Rather, the issue to me seems to be that they have too much enthusiasm and not enough expertise. As such, their translation contains errors. Frequent errors, glaring errors, errors that betray a critical lack of understanding of the Japanese language, and errors that turn into significant rewrites of plot points. And all of this is done while they bill themselves as being "Better than the old translation." Well, to put it bluntly, that's true in the sense that I would rather eat a rat turd than a dog turd. But, given the option, I'd rather be eating no turds at all. Making matters worse, they have the production values to give off the outer appearance of a reputable, high-quality operation, and unless you actually know Japanese, you're gonna have a hard time figuring out that they're pulling their script out of their own rear end.
[... specific details ...]
Jeez, okay, those translations sound pretty rough. Some of them, like the missed literary reference, are just little blips--I mean, not that it isn't a problem, but I'm sure most people will just skim over that kind of thing and assume they hadn't heard of whatever the reference is. But some of the errors in GER's speeches seem like they're just going to leave people still confused about what King Crimson and/or Gold Experience Requiem does. And looking at those examples especially, it also sounds like the tone/word choice stuff is partly coming out of the awkward translation decisions. (By the way, the examples did make sense to me, a non-Japanese-speaker.)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This chapter was really good.

Josefumi and Kira have a real mysterious angle to him where I kinda wanna see more of them than I do the rest of the cast. These cool dudes, doing cool poo poo cause they respect A Mom.

Maybe I'm loving up the timeline of events, but its not possible for the equivalent exchange of the Rokkakka is what cause Holly to have chunks of her brain missing, right? Or is that what they're trying to fix with the fruit? Holly also has a Stand in the present as she was able to see Paisley Park even before Yasuho knew about it.

Either way, Josefumi's waffle shirt owns and even his lovely half pompadour is growing on me. At least have a full one, dude.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 22, 2016

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Moltrey posted:

Maybe I'm loving up the timeline of events, but its not possible for the equivalent exchange of the Rokkakka is what cause Holly to have chunks of her brain missing, right? Or is that what they're trying to fix with the fruit? Holly also has a Stand in the present as she was able to see Paisley Park even before Yasuho knew about it.
Have we seen anything to contradict that idea in earlier chapters? I feel just about due for a re-read. It sounds, from this chapter, like there was something else wrong with Holly that the fruit was supposed to fix. On p.24, Josefumi asks if she has some kind of rapidly deteriorating condition; stealing the fruit and using it on whatever she had might have fixed that but removed some brain chunks in the process.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Amaryllis posted:

I hate being caught up with this drat comic. I want more of the flashback and the present events. I mean, Joshuu's been stuck in that sink for, what?, months now.

Good, leave him there. :v:

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

My memory of early Jojolion is pretty hazy. Is it established that being buried near the walleyes is responsible for whatever happened to Kira and Josefumi? Could the fruit have been involved somehow?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I thought the implication was that two bodies had been buried and one got back up with aspects of both of them and the explanation was "walleyes"

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

If you put two things in the ground near the walleyes they combine. It's the secret to the Higashikata fruit family fortune.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think we know yet if there's a connection between the rokkakka and the wall eyes yet. i'd assume there is one, if the wall eyes exchanging properties and the rokkakka doing some weird exchange poo poo are any clue to go off of. if the fruit comes from another country entirely then it begs the question of how the two are related, though. holly's condition is probably not because of the fruit.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I thought holly's condition was related to the higashikata curse in some way

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
So Josuke's body is essentially Josefumi's right? Only Kira's was found buried next to the Wall Eyes and he was missing his testicles while Josuke has four so unless we find Josefumi's body down there too, it seems that Josuke is less two bodies mashed together and more like Josefumi's body with some added Kira. This would explain why Soft & Wet is more like Josefumi's Stand with some Kira's abilities thrown in.

Maybe this is dumb and wrong, JoJolion is weird and I don't remember a lot of it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
drat, this was a good chapter.

Moltrey posted:

So Josuke's body is essentially Josefumi's right? Only Kira's was found buried next to the Wall Eyes and he was missing his testicles while Josuke has four so unless we find Josefumi's body down there too, it seems that Josuke is less two bodies mashed together and more like Josefumi's body with some added Kira. This would explain why Soft & Wet is more like Josefumi's Stand with some Kira's abilities thrown in.

Maybe this is dumb and wrong, JoJolion is weird and I don't remember a lot of it.
There were some other hybrid bits about Josuke, if I recall correctly. I think his eyes being funky splits was one of them, but I also haven't read the early stuff in quite awhile.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gappy is using josefumi's body, yes. the wall eyes merely exchange bits between the two things, they don't pop out something entirely new.

also, it's weird to me when i say he's 'using' josefumi's body because technically it's his body and god it must be loving depressing to find something like that out about yourself

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's the gist of it, yes.
Though he still comes up as 95% Kira on DNA testing so he still took significant chunks of Kira, he's just using Josefumi's body as a base.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

At least his component people seemed to be friends, not mortal enemies or whatever.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it probably doesn't hurt that they're technically related as well

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Johnny Joestar posted:

gappy is using josefumi's body, yes. the wall eyes merely exchange bits between the two things, they don't pop out something entirely new.

also, it's weird to me when i say he's 'using' josefumi's body because technically it's his body and god it must be loving depressing to find something like that out about yourself
Alright cool, I think I was remembering the fruit example Norisuke used wrong because I thought the Wall Eyes mashed the components together but sometimes things like four testicles and weird eye splits happen, but with Kira's body being there, it took me a while to realize that Josuke's body is neither a 50 50 combination nor did it just pop into existence one day.

Also early JoJolion is really good at making me care about a amnesiac hero. Looking back, Josuke looking around at families after the earthquakes and being crushed that there's no one out there looking for him or even cares or knows about him and watching him attach onto Yasuho who is the only person who looks out for him that Isn't Up To Some poo poo was just all done really well.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

This flashback is cool. Josefumi is cool. Kira is cool. JoJo in general is pretty cool right now.

I'm not sure I get what Josefumi's Stand power is, though. He can attach things with bubbles, I guess? Is that how he took the pepper out of his soup, by attaching the pepper to his hand? Weird. I suppose we'll see that in action soon enough. Kira seems largely the same, power-wise, only instead of touching things he uses floating bubbles; and it seems he doesn't even have to blow up the bubbles, as we could see when he smacked surfer dude in the face.
...it was never explained how that made surfer dude "eat his fingers", wasn't it.

I like how we're getting some postmortem action for the stonemen. First the architect, now tree dealer dude. I guess we'll see eventually how the architect kills Kira - maybe we'll have more events with characters that have already died, that would be nice!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Josefumi's stand's ability shown here probably isn't much different to Crazy Diamond. It's just fixing the broken trees together as though they were from the same plant (which is a legit thing also called grafting). Crazy D kinda did similar things with Angelo and Terunosuke becoming a rock and a book in that it could repair things that weren't actually what the original thing was.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

Also early JoJolion is really good at making me care about a amnesiac hero. Looking back, Josuke looking around at families after the earthquakes and being crushed that there's no one out there looking for him or even cares or knows about him and watching him attach onto Yasuho who is the only person who looks out for him that Isn't Up To Some poo poo was just all done really well.

Gappy's a top tier Jojo. I was sort of meh on him going bit by bit but when I did a full re-read right after the melting joshuu chapter I completely came around.

I'm not sharing my Jojo rankings here though because I'll get trolled into the ground.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Share them.

If anybody makes fun of you I'll just probate Josuke.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I'm not sharing my Jojo rankings here though because I'll get trolled into the ground.
I'll post mine if you post yours.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Johnny > Josuke = Jotaro > Jolyne = Joseph > Giorno > Jonathan ? Gappy

Go for it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

1. Johnny
2. Josuke (4)
3. Jolyne
4. Jotaro
5. Joseph
6. Johnathan
7. Giorno

I don't want to put Gappy on the list yet, but if I had to, I'd put him around Jotaro.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody needs to post individual Jojo rankings because everyone knows objectively that the list is Josuke > Johnny > Gappy???? > Jotaro > Jolyne > GioGio > Joseph > Jonathan. (Sorry, Jonathan, you're just too nice.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if anything gappy provided us with one of the most baffling out of context pages in jojo's history, that of someone sobbing after looking at citrus fruit

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Josuke, Gappy/Jotaro, Jolyne, Johnny, Giorno, Jonathan/Joseph ?
but the lower end's honestly fiddly because as I said before I don't dislike any Jojo; I just definitely like Josuke/Gappy/Jotaro best.

DIU, JJL/SBR, SDC, Vento, Stone Ocean/BT, PB

I put Vento so high in spite of the translation issues because whatever mess the plot is- cool stands and antagonists, Grateful Dead battle + Sticky Fingers in general.

I'm a Bad JoJo Fan.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Josuke (4)
Johnny
Jolyne
Joseph
Josuke (8)
Jotaro
Giorno
Jonathan

I'm glad we're all pretty similar

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

If anybody makes fun of you I'll just probate Josuke.

If this is the cost of justice, I accept it gladly.

Josuke > Johnny > Jolyne > Jotaro > Joseph > Jonathan

lovely translation omits Giorno, JoJolion is incomplete.
Based on so-far for JoJolion, I'd slot him in above Jolyne.
So basically, Amaryllis' ranking sans GioGio

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, you're not. The only bad JoJo fans are people who started watching the anime

Oh if we're ranking parts too then

7 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 2 > Part 1 Anime Dubbed > 6 > 1

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I'm a Bad JoJo Fan.
The bad fan is me: I got more and more indifferent about Joseph the more I read of the series, Stone Ocean is one of the lowest on my part rankings even though I love Jolyne and Dadtaro, and I originally put Giorno higher on the list because I like the first part of the mess that is VA so much that I'm willing to forgive the rest of it. My opinions make no sense.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Josuke > < Joseph > Johnny > Jolyne > Jotaro > Giorno > Jonathan

4 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 6 > 2 > 1

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm very slowly reading SBR again and I really wonder if I'm missing the boat with Johnny. I don't dislike him and he has a compelling story but he doesn't hold my interest as much? Reading that slowly probably isn't helping, I'm reading at like a chapter every week-ish right now.

Yet I have no real qualms about putting Gappy on the list even if we're maaaybe halfway through JJL if even because he's so charismatic.

Amaryllis posted:

The bad fan is me: I got more and more indifferent about Joseph the more I read of the series, Stone Ocean is one of the lowest on my part rankings even though I love Jolyne and Dadtaro, and I originally put Giorno higher on the list because I like the first part of the mess that is VA so much that I'm willing to forgive the rest of it. My opinions make no sense.

I have major issues with Stone Ocean, the only reason it notches higher is that there are some characters I really like in it.

No, Josuke, the major issues aren't just that I wanted a happier ending, I don't even take that into account. :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
But the real bad JoJo fans are people who like All Star Battle

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't like ranking giorno all that much myself because a lot of a character is decided by how they talk and if the translation is entirely hosed up for vento aureo then it's not fair to judge him yet, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If this is the cost of justice, I accept it gladly.

Josuke > Johnny > Jolyne > Jotaro > Joseph > Jonathan

lovely translation omits Giorno, JoJolion is incomplete.
Based on so-far for JoJolion, I'd slot him in above Jolyne.
So basically, Amaryllis' ranking sans GioGio
One of these days I will probate your for real and flip a coin.

If it's heads, the reason will be a glorious full-sized spread of President Valentine saying "My actions are unclouded. They are those of justice."

If it's tails, it'll be the longest version of the One-Punch Man OP I can find on Youtube.