Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bait and Swatch posted:

On a whim, I swapped out the AC20 on my ghostdad for an LBX10 and upgrading to MPLs, and enjoy it much more. The weapon doesn't explode nearly as often, and it's a great finisher on mechs who've lost their armor after a volley or two of aSRM6s, especially with the crit bonuses. With the tier 5 CD module for the SRMs, their CDs are also much closer. Just wanted to share in case anyone else was tired of the AC20 and wanted to tryout something else.

Why only one? AS7-D-DC It does get a bit ammo starved. You'll need to drop to a 335 to really fit more ammo on, it's already skirting the edge of too little armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What can have ecm and er large lasers

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Bait and Swatch posted:

A weekend of non-stop polar highlands sounds very painful.
It wouldn't be that bad except that literally 90% of the playerbase has an intelligence level that doesn't even qualify as human, so they keep losing with the same bad builds and tactics and after the event the Brown Sea is flooded with complaints that a full weekend isn't enough time to score three victories on a particular map no sir it's not fair PGI.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

ZenVulgarity posted:

Any mech with both ECM and energy hardpoints.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I don't mind Polar Highlands. I don't mind it in a brawl mech. I don't mind how big it is. I think the map feels Battletech as gently caress and it introduces something new to this game that people don't know how to handle : Maneuver warfare. Everything is suddenly viable now and people are losing their loving minds, the people who depend on meta builds the most.

This map has the potential to be great because actual fluid strategy and tactics can be formed. Lights have a role, harassers have a role, ECM makes surprise sneak attacks devastating. The map isn't bad, the people refusing to adapt, who just want the same old arena warfare are. I feel the game would be in a much better place today if the first maps had this ones scale, where a fight can erupt in any grid area as opposed to maps like the new Forest Colony that are huge with wasted space but the fight is predominately in the same two places EVERY game.

Polar Highlands gives you the the chance to explore new things and new combinations and instead everyone is squandering it by bitching about LRMs and MUH META as opposed to trying to find a way to exploit a new way to play.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
On each side of the map I found a building to hide behind that allows you to have your 12 man team completely covered from LRM fire. Also, they have to crest completey to shoot you from any other angle and it's close enough to the bases that you can get back in time if a cap war starts. The only problem is that on conquest you're better off deathballing and hoping they split so you can overwhelm them.

I'll try to find it on the map and circle the sector then upload it with the trenches you have to take to get there so you aren't lit up on the way. The minimap blows in this game.

I'm calling the building the "uncle toms cabin" strat. Also I've been finding that sticking in the trenches while your light scouts them out then trenching over to them is getting the most wins. You just stick your paper thin stuff in the back and spread some ECM around. I'd say I win 99 percent of my games by getting every one to stick to trenches until we are about 300m away. People are doing a lot of static defenses so it usually works since they can shoot through their own lines. It won't work against the cabin strats though. I gotta figure out how to counter my own poo poo.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 22, 2016

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
It's hard to explore new things and gauge the success thereof when the rest of your team is either Lurming, playing LEROY JENKINS, or plinking with AC2s from 1500 meters because winning in this game is about not losing any armor ever.

vvvv or throwing a fit b/c Thou Shalt Not Fire Beyond 270m.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Bait and Swatch posted:

A weekend of non-stop polar highlands sounds very painful.

A fitting finish for the polar highland week were having.

Come to think of it, how could they NOT put the HIGHLANDER on sale when they released that map?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vorenus posted:

It's hard to explore new things and gauge the success thereof when the rest of your team is either Lurming, playing LEROY JENKINS, or plinking with AC2s from 1500 meters because winning in this game is about not losing any armor ever.

Don't pug? Try to get things going with goon drops? I don't know what you want me to tell you. I recognize that most pubs are retards, coordination between strangers can be hard, one man generally isn't going to turn the tide of battle, etc etc etc but that doesn't mean that the opportunities aren't there. I bet if we ran a 12 man on Assault or skirmish on Polar with each lance having a role, we might actually dominate. I know that crosses into omg caring and tryhard territory, but it might actually be fun.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Vorenus posted:

Play with better peeps man. Or figure out how to get that commander voice and make be pugs bend the knee.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

EoRaptor posted:

Why only one? AS7-D-DC It does get a bit ammo starved. You'll need to drop to a 335 to really fit more ammo on, it's already skirting the edge of too little armour.

That build looks like I would have heat troubles, plus I like the MPLs in the arms to have a bit of precise damage. I wouldn't want to drop the engine, since I need to match the speed of the Stalkers I am usually with. I may try out some version of it though, just for kicks. Here's what I am running AS7-D-DC

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Endbuster posted:

Play with better peeps man. Or figure out how to get that commander voice and make be pugs bend the knee.
Sadly I'm not one of the few goons gifted with the miraculous power of successful pubherding.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

Me and Mathmath were just discussing how this works on a spider the other day, actually.

Would not recommend most people buy a spider. Cataphract 0xp is good times, though. The griffin 2n has a pair of arm energy slots, but erppc quirks :( There's one raven that makes for a great er large sniper, but I forget which one and I'm fairly sure it isn't the ecm raven.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Stock Cadet Raven has them.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Bait and Swatch posted:

That build looks like I would have heat troubles, plus I like the MPLs in the arms to have a bit of precise damage. I wouldn't want to drop the engine, since I need to match the speed of the Stalkers I am usually with. I may try out some version of it though, just for kicks. Here's what I am running AS7-D-DC

I like the look of both these builds but it's going to spend more time facing the target if you want to fire those LBs the whole time

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I just want ECM and something that will shoot lrmboats

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
You can put 3 Er/LLs on the ecm Cicada, but it won't run cool or very fast, and doesn't have great energy quirks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

Me and Mathmath were just discussing how this works on a spider the other day, actually.

The 5D can fit 2 ER Large in the right arm to go with its ECM, but I wouldn't recommend it. You'd have to downgrade the engine to find an extra half ton to get the second laser, and it's already the slowest Spider.

It's pretty much a worse ECM Raven at that point.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
What's up with the Nova love all of a sudden? What changed?

Ran a few games in my Cheeter last night but I've yet to see Polar.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
The ECM Raven can fit 2 ERLL and a big engine, so theres that.

If you have the Cicada-3F, I like to run this: CDA-3F(L)

Fast enough to keep up and doesn't run too hot in my experience. Normally I run that with LLs, but with Polar being common atm I run ERLL.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Well..... The *cough* shadow cat has ECM and can carry long range lasers. Might be the best platform for squirting around and cockpitting idle LRM boats. I has jumpers which the raven 3L does not.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

BlancoNino posted:

You can put 3 Er/LLs on the ecm Cicada, but it won't run cool or very fast, and doesn't have great energy quirks.

You can also do 3xERLL on the Shadowcat and run hot as balls. Alternatively just put 4 on a Hellbringer.

Vvv: Yeah, I can't stand the burn times and just use LPLs instead.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 22, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I cant bring myself to put ER lasers on clan mechs. They're too loving hot and they burn so goddamn long.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Who was it that said blackjacks are good now? They are loving dogshit

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

Every clan ECM carrier. Hellbringer and cheetah are the best bets.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Skoll posted:

I cant bring myself to put ER lasers on clan mechs. They're too loving hot and they burn so goddamn long.

Griffin 2n with erppc, srms and ecm!

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Clan ER Large are alright for the CW maps where you get to use them at the outside of their optimal range; other than that they put out horrible damage for their heat and duration. I can see them being somewhat less of a liability on Polar, but imo you're always better off taking LPL with a range module. (Or even without, really).

I mean, run whatever is fun for you but running 2xERLL on a Cheetah is like running LRMs on an Atlas.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Now that this is on steam is it fully updated through steam itself or do you still have to go through the launcher?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hello internet posted:

Now that this is on steam is it fully updated through steam itself or do you still have to go through the launcher?

Steam should keep it up to date, and you can also force it to update by trying to play if there is an un-applied patch.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Vorenus posted:

Clan ER Large are alright for the CW maps where you get to use them at the outside of their optimal range; other than that they put out horrible damage for their heat and duration. I can see them being somewhat less of a liability on Polar, but imo you're always better off taking LPL with a range module. (Or even without, really).

I mean, run whatever is fun for you but running 2xERLL on a Cheetah is like running LRMs on an Atlas.

The hellbringer can do 4x ERLL in very high mounts and have space left over for a big TC and lots of heat sinks. It's terrible in a brawl, but it can do work in maps like polar.

it also comes with a free dead side, but due to erll burn times you can't really use it.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 22, 2016

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm not actually minding polar highlands even when playing a brawling angry dad atlas on it. We had a fun conquest game the other day where we got totally outcapped by a couple of ecm lights but then meat grinder-ed through their entire team minus one light in a big swirling brawl.

Pubs loading up on lrums hoping for polar highlands just means running into more hopeless HOLD LOCKS GUYZZZZ :byodood: on other maps where lrms are worthless garbage :shrug:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yes and they often end up filling out our team.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Such is the way of things. LRM pubs are never going to stop. Play in bigger goon groups I guess.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Banano posted:

Man they're so good. What are you using on them

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Banano posted:

Haha, are you trolling? They're as tanky as an IS 70 tonner, have high mounts, and are quirked to hell and back for lasers or in the BJ-1's case, AC/2.

They are redic good. Ton for ton 2nd only to the Artic Cheetah.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Endbuster posted:

Haha, are you trolling? They're as tanky as an IS 70 tonner, have high mounts, and are quirked to hell and back for lasers or in the BJ-1's case, AC/2.

They are redic good. Ton for ton 2nd only to the Artic Cheetah.

Blackjacks are no joke right now, they are harder for me to kill than most heavies and quite a few assaults. I really hate whichever one has all the MPLs, that one stings even in an Atlas.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
To be fair some robots don't click with some people no matter how amazing the robot is. I am still lukewarm towards the Arctic Cheetah to this day. v:shobon:v

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Pooncha posted:

To be fair some robots don't click with some people no matter how amazing the robot is. I am still lukewarm towards the Arctic Cheetah to this day. v:shobon:v

And I am absolute garbage with Heavy 'mechs.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Supporting LRM boats would be so much nicer if TAG were togglable. I'm aware ahk scripts/pennies/rocks exist, but it feels slightly unscrupulous to do so, and the penalty incurred by using it to begin with (directly drawing a line to your position while constantly facing your opponent) makes me feel like making them more involved to use is a bit ridiculous.

e: I'm garbage with all mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

mashed_penguin posted:

Such is the way of things. LRM pubs are never going to stop. Play in bigger goon groups I guess.

Playing in larger groups sucks poo poo

• Locked thread