Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Last update is that they are still searching for the F-16 pilot, but that 'signs indicate' that he did not eject, and is most likely dead.

Bagdad is a mining town, and the terrain in that area is very rough. Interesting note - Bagdad is about 8-10m (as the crow flys) NE of "Nothing". Really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Locator posted:

Last update is that they are still searching for the F-16 pilot, but that 'signs indicate' that he did not eject, and is most likely dead.

Bagdad is a mining town, and the terrain in that area is very rough. Interesting note - Bagdad is about 8-10m (as the crow flys) NE of "Nothing". Really.

But how far is it from Why?

Fredrick
Jan 20, 2008

BRU HU HA HA HA

SeaborneClink posted:

Taiwanese apparently. SAR has located the wreckage, pilot status still unknown. They were allegedly practicing high g combat maneuvers simulating air to air combat.

Going to say he probably lost consciousness and buried himself 7ft underground.

That's really unfortunate.
I was just reading that F-16 SLEP is supposed to contain a ground collision avoidance package due to the high proportion of F-16 losses being to flying into the ground. Does anyone know if that'd help in a situation like this, or is it more meant to help with spacial disorientation scenarios instead of complete loss of input?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Fredrick posted:

That's really unfortunate.
I was just reading that F-16 SLEP is supposed to contain a ground collision avoidance package due to the high proportion of F-16 losses being to flying into the ground. Does anyone know if that'd help in a situation like this, or is it more meant to help with spacial disorientation scenarios instead of complete loss of input?

From what I've read, the system should work whether the pilot does nothing or is disoriented.

According to an Aviation Week article, the system first issues an evasion command to the pilot when it thinks an impact is imminent, and if the pilot doesn't respond, it rolls the aircraft wings-level and does a 5g pull up until the aircraft is clear of terrain. Apparently there's also an option for the pilot to command a recovery if they get disoriented.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I started this post trying to come up with BFM scenarios that would cause the system to gently caress up, but I can't think of a single reason that the pilot would hold full stick in any direction for more than a second other than being passed out.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But how far is it from Why?

About 200 miles by road.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Small world. Apparently that pilot was part of the squadron stationed at the airport I near where I live. A friend of a friend and all that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Pilot's remains located.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

Pilot's remains located.

My grandpa worked at Luke Field in Arizona during the war investigating student fighter pilot crashes. He said a lot of times the only thing left was the pelvis still buckled in. And sometimes they'd find the hands thrown clear at the edge of the debris field.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

tactlessbastard posted:

My grandpa worked at Luke Field in Arizona during the war investigating student fighter pilot crashes. He said a lot of times the only thing left was the pelvis still buckled in. And sometimes they'd find the hands thrown clear at the edge of the debris field.

Have a friend of a friend who is stationed there. He is the safety officer and apparently yesterday was supposed to be his day off.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

tactlessbastard posted:

Worst story that I've heard along these lines was when an F-111 went down in Scotland & landed among a herd of sheep. You can probably figure out what some poor bastards spent several days doing at the crash site.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Eating lamb? :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sometimes, probably.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

inkjet_lakes posted:

Worst story that I've heard along these lines was when an F-111 went down in Scotland & landed among a herd of sheep. You can probably figure out what some poor bastards spent several days doing at the crash site.

Mourning their mistresses' death?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
At least those lamb kebabs weren't bathed in hypergolic fuel :shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I still think the "OMG F-16 APUs are full of TOXIC CHEMICALS" :supaburn: that comes up every time a Viper crashes is a load of hysteria. Yes, there's a small tank of hydrazine in the fuselage. Yes, hydrazine is very bad for you. Know what else is bad for you? Twenty thousand pounds of burning kerosene.

Another thing. Hydrazine is highly reactive and starts fires with all kinds of things its touches. Know what else starts fires? Twenty thousand pounds of burning kerosene.

Any hydrazine that leaks out during the crash is going to be consumed in the inevitable fireball. If it doesn't leak, it's contained. Q.E.D.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe exposure to hazardous materials at the crash sites of secret planes causes people to hallucinate about flying saucers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I still think the "OMG F-16 APUs are full of TOXIC CHEMICALS" :supaburn: that comes up every time a Viper crashes is a load of hysteria. Yes, there's a small tank of hydrazine in the fuselage. Yes, hydrazine is very bad for you. Know what else is bad for you? Twenty thousand pounds of burning kerosene.

Another thing. Hydrazine is highly reactive and starts fires with all kinds of things its touches. Know what else starts fires? Twenty thousand pounds of burning kerosene.

Any hydrazine that leaks out during the crash is going to be consumed in the inevitable fireball. If it doesn't leak, it's contained. Q.E.D.

Its to scare away the public so everybody else can do their job and find all the plane parts. :ssh:

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

The account mentioned that the USAF held a barbecue for the locals as thanks for their hospitality towards the clean-up crew, so who knows. Waste not want not?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

This is from 2007, so no doubt it's been posted at some point, but I'd never seen it before. I chuckled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWoqa5nGmk

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Haha I like how no one, including the cameraman, seems to notice or give a poo poo.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What I wouldn't give to hear those radio comms.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Absolutely.

Duke Chin posted:

Haha I like how no one, including the cameraman, seems to notice or give a poo poo.

Well the camera man is filming the bombers in case of a mishap, so he actually got everything he needed on the F-16. And nobody else is dumb enough to cross behind a B-1 with it's engines running and other fighters potentially taxiing through.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's like an airfield anti-bullying psa

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

And nobody else is dumb enough to cross behind a B-1 with it's engines running and other fighters potentially taxiing through.
Some times you have to, though. Those fuckers love nothing more than parking themselves at the EOR and running checklists forever.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

dumb. posted:

B-47 taking off with the help of some loving rockets.

Crossposting from Badass picture thread

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The Locator posted:

This is from 2007, so no doubt it's been posted at some point, but I'd never seen it before. I chuckled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWoqa5nGmk

It's okay, that tail is used to being in that position:

Same tail jumped chocks during a ground run a few years before the Bone incident, wound up in a very similar position after skidding down the snow-packed ramp

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

iyaayas01 posted:

It's okay, that tail is used to being in that position:

Same tail jumped chocks during a ground run a few years before the Bone incident, wound up in a very similar position after skidding down the snow-packed ramp

Hahaha

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I wonder which crew chief gets their name on the side of that jet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

The one slowest to say "Not It"?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dead Reckoning posted:

I hope that Lancer got a nice F-16 silhouette decaled on the side.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

freelop posted:

Crossposting from Badass picture thread

That was my desktop wallpaper back in the day when you could still set it on a USAF computer. Got a lot of people to do double-takes as they walked by.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv1ZN8c4_Gs

I like the sheer amount of detail in this video for a relatively minor synthwave group's track.

E: come to find out they licensed it from a Polish short film called "Paths of Hate", which is really good by itself.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 24, 2016

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
I just came in to catch up on this thread and to mention a CRJ peed on me yesterday with 40lbs of fuel from the outboard starboard wing. I still smell 2 showers later :(

Structures life!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Dannywilson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv1ZN8c4_Gs

I like the sheer amount of detail in this video for a relatively minor synthwave group's track.

E: come to find out they licensed it from a Polish short film called "Paths of Hate", which is really good by itself.

They cued that up pretty good. Yeah, I watched "Paths of Hate" a while back, strongly suggest watching that as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FullMetalJacket posted:

I just came in to catch up on this thread and to mention a CRJ peed on me yesterday with 40lbs of fuel from the outboard starboard wing. I still smell 2 showers later :(

Structures life!

Ask a DC-10 mechanic about the fuel pump AD that came out a few years ago. (HOLY poo poo ALMOST A DECADE AGO IM OLD) All 16 (IIRC) got R&Red at once on three airplanes.

Never. Again.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Ask a DC-10 mechanic about the fuel pump AD that came out a few years ago. (HOLY poo poo ALMOST A DECADE AGO IM OLD) All 16 (IIRC) got R&Red at once on three airplanes.

Never. Again.

This was my third wet entry, my first was a 737-2S2C. Even with supplied air the mask occasionally comes off because of how restricted it is in there, and the work we had to do for that instance was inboard at the wing root butted against the center tank. full body entry, no tyvek, nothing in your pockets and boots off. I've a vid I can upload if requested :)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:justpost:

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Here you go. don't mind that name. It's a pseudonym. *cough*

https://youtu.be/VN6KbWOATxE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!