Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
That poo poo looks waaaaaay too precious for me to want to give it the time of day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I said this the last time it was posted but I rly don't like how the homemade effects look, they're too technically well-done for the 'lovely' joke to play and they're too intentionally lovely for them to seem like a sincere attempt.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Vegetable posted:

What the hell am I watching

An extension of the concepts first explored in 'Penn and Teller Get Killed'?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mr. Plinkett The Motion Picture.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Emptiness is form

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Jenny Angel posted:

That poo poo looks waaaaaay too precious for me to want to give it the time of day.

It doesn't appear to be doing a very good job at aping either of the visual styles it seems to be satirizing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Duke Jeffrie posted:

Penn Jillette and Adam Rifkin's Director's Cut: https://youtu.be/pAuh1u-IZ3k

That's the most boring trailer I've seen this year. I know it doesn't say a lot, but me bothering to type it out might. Good lord.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I like it and I will watch it and possibly enjoy it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mister J posted:

It doesn't appear to be doing a very good job at aping either of the visual styles it seems to be satirizing.

It's not actually satiring anything. It's just dark unapologetic humor.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

That's the most boring trailer I've seen this year. I know it doesn't say a lot, but me bothering to type it out might. Good lord.

I feel like maybe the trailer was a minute to long. A bit less footage to leave you wondering what the gently caress, might have made it feel a little more interesting. As it stands, it just felt kinda wanky.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

BonoMan posted:

It's not actually satiring anything. It's just dark unapologetic humor.

If it was going for humor, it was completely lost on me. I thought it was going for meta-horror, a la Scream.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hey, kiimo, this might be out of your knowledge since Amazon Studios picked it up but do you have any idea what's going on with Neon Demon, Nicolas Winding Refn's new movie? It wrapped filming back in November and has been publicly known about for over a year, but there hasn't been a single trailer for it yet that I can find, which seems out of the ordinary .

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfT2uq_rNms
Hunt for the Wilderpeople looks pretty good, but I'm biased for my love of Sam Neill and Taika Waititi

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Warcraft TV spot with some new footage (and probably footage in the first trailer with more CGI added).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qEXq0cH3x0

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Hey, kiimo, this might be out of your knowledge since Amazon Studios picked it up but do you have any idea what's going on with Neon Demon, Nicolas Winding Refn's new movie? It wrapped filming back in November and has been publicly known about for over a year, but there hasn't been a single trailer for it yet that I can find, which seems out of the ordinary .

Sorry I have no idea.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

LORD OF BUTT posted:

How is it at all unusual for there not to be a trailer for a film that only wrapped two months ago?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The general rule of thumb for features is that it usually takes at least 2 to 3 times as long to finish a film in post as it does to shoot it. If it's shooting under a DGA contract the director has 10 weeks just for his cut. Then there's studio notes, vfx, sound mix, D.I. and color timing, print mastering, versioning and delivery. I'd be very surprised to see anything that finished shooting in November in the theatres before the summer.

e. Oh, you asked about a trailer, I'm bad at reading. They're probably still in directors cut right now, probably why nothing is out. It's not unheard of to have marketing doing trailers early in the cut (I've watched picture editors have to cut a trailer on day 5 of shooting), but a Refn film probably doesn't require the buzz of a long and protracted marketing push.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 25, 2016

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The MSJ posted:

Warcraft TV spot with some new footage (and probably footage in the first trailer with more CGI added).

This probably would have been cool if it came out like 14 years ago.

Instead it's nothing but a boring 95% CGI spectacle.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Warcraft trailer aired during football games and basically got booed by everyone from the staid Baby Boomer accountants to the millenial artist types. I really feel like it's gonna flop.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
It is 200% going to flop. I really hope it doesn't kill Duncan Jones' career.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

It is 200% going to flop.

Your mod flair is neat

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GonSmithe posted:

If he can just complete Mute (and god willing the Warcraft flop doesn't dampen that effort) then I feel he'll be ok.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dillbag posted:

e. Oh, you asked about a trailer, I'm bad at reading. They're probably still in directors cut right now, probably why nothing is out. It's not unheard of to have marketing doing trailers early in the cut (I've watched picture editors have to cut a trailer on day 5 of shooting), but a Refn film probably doesn't require the buzz of a long and protracted marketing push.

I'd say that all of the normal procedures are hard to rely on since it is Amazon who is wisely following Netflix's lead on producing (edit: or distributing) their own films but might go about the process of marketing the film in a unique way. Maybe.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 25, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Was the Warcraft movie stuck in development hell or something? It feels likes its 5 years too late from when it should have been smart to release it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

he'll just go back to making small flicks, its not like Moon was a billion dollar success

edit: maybe he'll direct a Bowie biopic and save his careeer

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Was the Warcraft movie stuck in development hell or something? It feels likes its 5 years too late from when it should have been smart to release it.

The main issue it seems is that originally it was set during the events of the first game, then they decided that World of Warcraft would be a better setting, then they decided to go back to the original plan.

During the World of Warcraft setting, it was supposed to be directed by Raimi and he had done a lot of pre-production work when they scrapped everything. (this would've been around 2011, and the current director was attached in 2013)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Warcraft was announced a decade ago, and originally planned for 2009. Sam Raimi came and went from the project before Jones signed on. So yeah, it's been in the works for way too long, and movies like that always seem to limp unimpressively across the finish line.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

GonSmithe posted:

Ugh, Jesus, I totally forgot it was a Duncan Jones movie... what the gently caress.
How did they even pick him of all people to do it?

Hey lets get the guy that directed the quiet almost introspective film Moon to direct this brainless spectacle laden CGI fest!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

Warcraft was announced a decade ago, and originally planned for 2009. Sam Raimi came and went from the project before Jones signed on. So yeah, it's been in the works for way too long, and movies like that always seem to limp unimpressively across the finish line.

Which brings us to Angry Birds...

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Deakul posted:

Ugh, Jesus, I totally forgot it was a Duncan Jones movie... what the gently caress.

Hey lets get the guy that directed the quiet almost introspective film Moon to direct this brainless spectacle laden CGI fest!

Source Code I would assume

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Deakul posted:

Duncan jones has hundreds of hours sunk into world of warcraft. he loves the franchise and asked to direct it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

Well the new effects aren't doing it any favors because it still looks bland/generic as poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The preview image there is not doing the movie any favours.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well the new effects aren't doing it any favors because it still looks bland/generic as poo poo.

You mean its true to its source material then

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

scary ghost dog posted:

Duncan jones has hundreds of hours sunk into world of warcraft. he loves the franchise and asked to direct it

Huh, alrighty then...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deakul posted:

Huh, alrighty then...

Henry Cavill is also another big WoW nerd and almost missed the call from Snyder for Man of Steel because he was playing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
warcraft has ten million built in fans. my mom and her friends are excited for it because they played Warcraft 2 on their Mac IIs

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ten million people going to see a movie like that is jack poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

10,000,000 x $15(+/-) = $150,000,000 - so not too bad just from nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ten million people going to see a movie like that is jack poo poo.
oh yeah big boy? wanna count the seats in the chinese theater?

• Locked thread