Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the fun thing about the States Rights argument is that Southern states imposed defacto slavery on the North through things like the Fugitive Slave Act which allowed Southern slave hunters to travel into states where slavery was forbidden, capture escaped slaves, and re-enslave them in free states

And also, you know, kidnap free blacks South into slavery. But hey, what're countless a few minor flaws here and there compared to the most immoral, unjustifiable violation of liberty ever: a representative central government levying income tax.

YF19pilot posted:

Florida insurance nightmares

Reminder that thankfully-retired shithead Chuck Asay thought this sort of practice was a good thing overall, and it was horrible that those poor, put-upon insurance companies might have to pay out claims:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And also, you know, kidnap free blacks South into slavery. But hey, what're countless a few minor flaws here and there compared to the most immoral, unjustifiable violation of liberty ever: a representative central government levying income tax.

...which the Confederacy also had, but it just so happens we're willing to overlook it if the funds were needed to defend planters' right to own slaves

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Reminder that thankfully-retired shithead Chuck Asay thought this sort of practice was a good thing overall, and it was horrible that those poor, put-upon insurance companies might have to pay out claims:

:capitalism:
But think how much lower your premiums will be if the insurance company never has to pay out on your claim!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Wolfsheim posted:

It's worth noting that if jrode stops responding this will be the second time in a row he was chased out of his own thread for defending literal slave-states. It's almost impressive :cheers:

I'd go ahead and call it the third! He left right after we started calling him out on his Cato list having Qatar and the UAE on it, came back a few weeks later and got really annoyed we were still talking about it, left again after he dropped the "Qatar doesn't literally have slavery, PS income taxes are literally slavery" thing, and then came back for the current round of "poor ol' Confederacy." At this rate he'll pop back up in April to give us some hot takes on how evil Sonthonax was for stealing all those planters' property.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

...which the Confederacy also had, but it just so happens we're willing to overlook it if the funds were needed to defend planters' right to own slaves

Even by the standards of the time, the Confederacy hardly had a representative government. :colbert:

But yeah your larger point stands about Jrod's curious blind spot about the peculiar institution. Gosh, I just can't imagine what led to that!

quote:

But think how much lower your premiums will be if the insurance company never has to pay out on your claim!

Something something pure profit something something.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Even by the standards of the time, the Confederacy hardly had a representative government. :colbert:

You make a good point here; in my rush to accuse libertarians of inconsistency, I hadn't considered that it was the representation jrod objects to, not the income tax.

Income taxes imposed from above by a moneyed oligarchy to finance enslavement and conquest are just fine!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

I'm reading the Wikipedia article about the 14th Amendment, and seeing that Ohio rescinded ratification and didn't re-ratify the amendment until 2003. God, what a poo poo hole of a state. And my grandparents keep saying "when are you coming home?" And all I can think of is "since when is Ohio my home?" Yeah, seriously, gently caress that state. Like I'm going to move back there just to work in a loving call center.

It's hilarious seeing jrode squirm about these points, because the fact of the matter is that every Southern Revisionist point these Libertarians bring up, I've heard a million times growing up listening to my Conservative grandparents and listening to the Conservative talkers. Like:

The Civil War was about taxes, not slavery. Yes, about taxes on slaves.
States Rights! What about individual rights?
Lincoln started the war! Except he didn't. Which is doubly hilarious if you're talking to a Republican Conservative, because they'll assert this point, but then talk about how it was a Republican who freed the slaves and the Democrats are the real racists, especially the black Democrats.

Anyways, I do want to hit another point:

I apologize for not digging out this exact post, but let me tell you the story called "Florida" or "The Day the Insurance Cried".

So, in Florida, we have these little storms, maybe you've heard of them, called Hurricanes. Naturally, you buy a house, you get Hurricane insurance. The idea being that if your house is damaged by a hurricane, you're protected. Except you're not really. Somewhere as we entered the 2000s, the insurance people got smart. You now had to prove that damage was done by the Hurricane.

Hurricanes bring strong winds, and even in the outer bands of the storm you can have gusts that exceed the reported strength of the storm itself. Was your house damaged by the wind? Well, if you were in the outer bands, it wasn't *actually* the hurricane that did it. Hope you have wind insurance? Oh, you don't? Sorry you're not covered.
Struck by lightning? I hope you have lightning insurance!
Inland flooding caused by the hurricane? I hope you have flood insurance! (I think eventually even storm surges fell into the "flood" category)
And the real kicker? Let's say you have wind, lightning, flood, and whatever else, but not hurricane insurance. Guess what? All of these things were caused by a hurricane, and you don't have hurricane insurance? Claim denied.
A real loving scam where they got you coming and going as they say.

It became a huge joke, because despite having hurricane insurance to protect you from the hurricanes, the insurance companies would find some way to not blame it on the hurricane.

Then came the 2004 hurricane season. After Charlie, most of the insurance companies started talking about how they couldn't afford to keep up. After Ivan, instead of an insurance payout, most people got a letter saying "we're dropping you. Good luck, maybe the government can help you." And after Katrina in 2005, anyone who hadn't already packed up and gone home, did.

I believe it was in this time that Florida changed their laws regarding hurricane and home-owner's insurance, which further helped along the massive flight of insurers from the state; trying to get ahead of the Three Card Charlie game the insurance companies were playing. Basically, Florida for once did something right and told the insurers to knock their poo poo off, and all the companies basically took their respective balls and went home. That's right private insurance companies would rather scam the gently caress out of people than be forced to provide the service people were paying them for.

And somehow jrode feels this is the way that health insurance should behave, and holds is up as a model of behavior.

To use the fire model jrode provided, in case the hurricane incident wasn't clear.

Case: House burns down from lightning strike

Scenario 1: I have fire insurance
Response: It was started by lightning. You don't have lightning insurance, claim denied.

Scenario 2: I have lightning insurance, but not fire insurance.
Response: Your house burned down because of a fire. You don't have fire insurance, claim denied.

Scenario 3: I have fire and lightning insurance.
Response: House was improperly grounded to prevent fires caused by lightning strikes. This is a contractor issue, and you cancelled the insurance from that after the first year of home ownership. Claim denied.

Scenario 4: I have all three of the above.
Response: This was an unforeseen disaster of a storm which has damaged many of our customers' homes including yours. We can't afford to pay out any money or we'll go bankrupt. Therefore, we're dropping you and the hundreds of others who have paid us thousands of dollars in hopes that we'd help them out when this exact thing happens. Call your governor, maybe he'll declare it a disaster area and you'll get some federal aid, but we're not giving you poo poo. Thanks for being a loyal customer, sucker.

You're maybe just too loving stupid (or maybe you're just bedazzled by my good looks, everyone says that I'm handsome) to understand how free markets work and that onerous regulation by the state is why those insurance companies had to keep refusing claims. In a truly free market if an insurer didn't pay your claim then you'd agree to arbitration by an independent third party, who would surely rule in favor of you, the downtrodden citizen, rather than the insurance company with deep pockets.

How do I know this? Free market :smugdog:

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 22, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I discussed a similar topic (hurricanes and insurance) with some libertarians on another website. Their take was that instead of having the government as an insurer of last resort, nobody should live in hurricane prone areas at all. And I mean, I find it kind of hard to argue with the idea of depopulating Florida, but I took a completely different path to get there.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Free and unrestricted trade is the backbone of a prosperous Libertarian society!

Step one: nobody build or operate a port. Ever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Step 2: Abandon the agricultural breadbasket of the country so insurers don't have to cover tornadoes

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Free and unrestricted trade is the backbone of a prosperous Libertarian society!

Step one: nobody build or operate a port. Ever.

NO ONE MAY DWELL NEAR THE COASTS! THE VOLCANO GOD FREE MARKET HAS SPOKEN!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Step 3: Spread the population of earthquake prone California out throughout whatever disaster-free zone remains.

At this point we're all living in.... northern Ontario I guess?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I've actually seen that argument before in libertarian and conservative articles, and the childish short-sightedness is amazing. Instead of getting together as a country through our representatives and deciding that it's in our best interests to be able to receive shipping through critical port cities like New Orleans, Houston, New York, Mobile, etc and acting as insurer of last resort so the people who live and work there can survive and rebuild after a hurricane, just let them be destroyed, that'll teach those idiots not to take a job unloading oil tankers to fuel my car and cargo containers bringing my precious animes.

Let's just try to operate a modern industrial economy without trade everyone, that's got to be better than a few cents on my tax bill going to rebuild the homes of irresponsible poors

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A lot of people say that the societal Jrod espouses is Mad Max-like, but I honestly think it would be more like the America in Octavia Butler's "Parable of the Sower". And that, frankly, is somewhat more terrifying to consider, because in the former case maybe you can still be a V8-powered road warrior, while in the latter, the gated communities you live in, surrounded by a crumbling society and uncontrolled chaos, just make you a sitting duck in denial. It's both the radical survivalist's fear and yet should also be one of the pragmatic progressive, since it's a potentially plausible nightmare.

Which, I think, makes anarcho-capitalism and the like so ridiculous. So you have a gated community, or a defensible suburb, or a rural safehold. What's your job? How are you going to resupply yourself with food, fuel, spare parts for your machines and devices, ammunition (or components thereof) to keep away the angry and desperate hordes? When utility poles and pipes are obvious targets for theft, vandalism, or a siege (so if your at-home business relies on those, say goodbye to it), when businesses have to maintain the added expense of heavy security forces, when transport is potentially hazardous and drivers are faced with the prospect of ambushes, sniper attacks, roadblocks, and so on? When the factories that make goods and components can't get their raw materials or make anything because of the aforementioned factors, then what?

A highway gas station works because there is plenty of peaceful traffic safely going by it, because towns, counties, and states maintain law enforcement services to patrol and respond to incidents, because most people have a strong enough social stake to not risk it all for the couple hundred bucks in the till. Take that away, and why shouldn't Crazy Jim's Buckwild Naked Boyz take it all over if the have the firepower and manpower to do it? Crazy Jim's a crazy psychopath, of course, so good luck explaining to him that he's transgressing on your right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, when ending your life with a trigger pull and $0.50 of lead and powder is all that stands between him and everything that isn't nailed down.

Admittedly, these are rather out-there scenarios, but for an "out there" belief system (I won't credit A-C as a philosophy), they're still valid. When there is no common social interest, just individuals and groups pursuing their own goals, it seems ridiculous to think any of it will work out in a stable manner. Either one group prevails and we have autocratic tyranny forming and spreading, or we end up with a loss of any sort of traction for economic development and progress, as people try to tread water and hold on. No "non-aggression principle" (a deus ex machina solution) is going to hold or make people behave when they're desperate, or greedy, or have become jaded, cynical, and angry. Not in an anarcho-capitalist world of little state interference and easy access to powerful weaponry.

So, Jrod - maybe in your society, I would be a "Crazy Jim". It's not that the presence of the state right now is keeping me from that state of being; I'm a pretty laid back guy who isn't big on violence or avarice and would prefer orderly, peaceful reforms and progress. But everyone is potentially dishonest, potentially willing to break laws solely for their personal gain (look at drug use statistics, and also consider how much violence that use funds), and plenty capable of lashing out or snapping. Break the social trust, break the faith in social stability respective of one's overt participation of such, throw in material stresses (such as climate change affecting crop production, drought, social breakdown and violence, economic collapse, and so on), and neither your bleating about non-aggression or your DRO membership card will save you. You dead, son, so dead.

In short, Jrod, you espouse a worldview fit for a corpse.

Maybe that is why you can continue to obnoxiously hold on to this nonsense you believe - you are a corpse. After all, a corpse cannot suffer, cannot foresee a future (it's time is over), and if myth and literature are any indication, it either resents its loss of place among the living or does not envision itself as belonging to them any longer. You're a corpse, that's all, incapable of creating new thoughts, because your world (and your mind) is just like the grave - a dark box, buried under six feet of dirt, containing nothing but gross and rotten contents that 99.9% of people find vile and foul to behold. The substance, such as it was, is still there. But now it's just residues and mold, only ever decaying into dust.

So I guess, Jrod, that you are indeed unique - a typing corpse, dead meat just regurgitating the same nonsense it had in its actual life. Your absences are due to your loss of energy and motor function due to decay. Your incessant harping on certain topics and meaningless quibbles are just those parts of your brain that haven't yet rotted and fallen out of your skull. I guess the only real question I have is this: Does it hurt to earn your living whoring yourself out to necrophiliac libertarians?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

jrodefeld posted:

Take it up with Lysander Spooner. Are you calling into question Spooner's abolitionist credentials?

If I believe that there was a more ethical, more effective manner by which emancipation could have taken place without the bloodshed and horrific ramifications of the Civil War and I point this out, in what rational world does this make me "pro racial slavery"?

You're not a leftist, jrod. Your ideology does not come from the left. Yeah, the folks at mises found some of the more kooky abolitionists and anarchists to claim as intellectual forebears, but the lack of interest (or knowledge) in the world as it actually exists brings the true origins to light.

You do not want a world where people work together to make things better for everyone, where anyone who wants to help is welcomed and assisted and respected.

No, you want a world where there is no welcome, no assistance, no respect. There's no working together, you work for someone and you're reminded often that it's a privilege that you even get that much. You work until you're tired, huge chunks of your life your body is not fully your own, but you're still looked down upon for not being wealthier, for not being educated or savvy or personable enough to get a better job. You're looked down upon for enjoying the too-short moments of freedom you have, for not filling that time with more work or classes or whatever else you could do to make more money. You're judged for daring to have a family, for even trying to live a normal life.

And if it all becomes too much to handle and you end up on the streets or you need an operation you can't afford you have to come begging to a charity, trying to look sufficiently penitent for being such a lazy, awful person. And if they do decide to help you you better look grateful. They're doing you a real favor here, and in the world you want that's a big deal because most people have enough on their plates just trying to look after themselves.

This is all perfectly acceptable to you, despite some positions similar to those on the left, because you approach everything differently than those who are actually leftists. Actual leftists are moved by the situation of the world to want to do something to improve it. We're looking for the best approach to take to make things better. This is what we're trying to work out when we learn about the world.

But you're not like this. You have detected that the world is messed up, but rather than being moved to do something, you decided that somebody had to be to blame, and so you went looking for your villain.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
jrod, if you actually lived in your ideal libertarian utopia, how would you make your fortune? I'm assuming you have something grander in mind than selling bootleg blu-rays.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

I've actually seen that argument before in libertarian and conservative articles, and the childish short-sightedness is amazing. Instead of getting together as a country through our representatives and deciding that it's in our best interests to be able to receive shipping through critical port cities like New Orleans, Houston, New York, Mobile, etc and acting as insurer of last resort so the people who live and work there can survive and rebuild after a hurricane, just let them be destroyed, that'll teach those idiots not to take a job unloading oil tankers to fuel my car and cargo containers bringing my precious animes.

Let's just try to operate a modern industrial economy without trade everyone, that's got to be better than a few cents on my tax bill going to rebuild the homes of irresponsible poors

Heh, well my friend, clearly you haven't *farts* considered an alternative here where lower income workers pool voluntarily create mutual aid societies which *continues farting* don't rely on coercive taxation to provide relief funds and certainly wouldn't ever be strained far past the point of breaking *farting noises increase, plus some gurgly spattering sounds* by a large-scale natural disaster, on the off chance of which *is now clearly making GBS threads self, with eye-watering sulferous reek beginning to fill the room* they might consider contracting some of their future labor to a better off individual in exchange for assistance. If you can't see how that's both more moral and effective than taxation, which is literal slavery and also worse that historical slavery (which wasn't really that bad), than I don't know what else I can tell you! *collapses into ankle-deep pool of own vile excrement, begins rolling around while moaning "mises.org" over and over*

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Kthulhu5000 posted:

A lot of people say that the societal Jrod espouses is Mad Max-like, but I honestly think it would be more like the America in Octavia Butler's "Parable of the Sower". And that, frankly, is somewhat more terrifying to consider, because in the former case maybe you can still be a V8-powered road warrior, while in the latter, the gated communities you live in, surrounded by a crumbling society and uncontrolled chaos, just make you a sitting duck in denial. It's both the radical survivalist's fear and yet should also be one of the pragmatic progressive, since it's a potentially plausible nightmare.

Which, I think, makes anarcho-capitalism and the like so ridiculous. So you have a gated community, or a defensible suburb, or a rural safehold. What's your job? How are you going to resupply yourself with food, fuel, spare parts for your machines and devices, ammunition (or components thereof) to keep away the angry and desperate hordes? When utility poles and pipes are obvious targets for theft, vandalism, or a siege (so if your at-home business relies on those, say goodbye to it), when businesses have to maintain the added expense of heavy security forces, when transport is potentially hazardous and drivers are faced with the prospect of ambushes, sniper attacks, roadblocks, and so on? When the factories that make goods and components can't get their raw materials or make anything because of the aforementioned factors, then what?

A highway gas station works because there is plenty of peaceful traffic safely going by it, because towns, counties, and states maintain law enforcement services to patrol and respond to incidents, because most people have a strong enough social stake to not risk it all for the couple hundred bucks in the till. Take that away, and why shouldn't Crazy Jim's Buckwild Naked Boyz take it all over if the have the firepower and manpower to do it? Crazy Jim's a crazy psychopath, of course, so good luck explaining to him that he's transgressing on your right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, when ending your life with a trigger pull and $0.50 of lead and powder is all that stands between him and everything that isn't nailed down.

Admittedly, these are rather out-there scenarios, but for an "out there" belief system (I won't credit A-C as a philosophy), they're still valid. When there is no common social interest, just individuals and groups pursuing their own goals, it seems ridiculous to think any of it will work out in a stable manner. Either one group prevails and we have autocratic tyranny forming and spreading, or we end up with a loss of any sort of traction for economic development and progress, as people try to tread water and hold on. No "non-aggression principle" (a deus ex machina solution) is going to hold or make people behave when they're desperate, or greedy, or have become jaded, cynical, and angry. Not in an anarcho-capitalist world of little state interference and easy access to powerful weaponry.

So, Jrod - maybe in your society, I would be a "Crazy Jim". It's not that the presence of the state right now is keeping me from that state of being; I'm a pretty laid back guy who isn't big on violence or avarice and would prefer orderly, peaceful reforms and progress. But everyone is potentially dishonest, potentially willing to break laws solely for their personal gain (look at drug use statistics, and also consider how much violence that use funds), and plenty capable of lashing out or snapping. Break the social trust, break the faith in social stability respective of one's overt participation of such, throw in material stresses (such as climate change affecting crop production, drought, social breakdown and violence, economic collapse, and so on), and neither your bleating about non-aggression or your DRO membership card will save you. You dead, son, so dead.

Maybe that is why you can continue to obnoxiously hold on to this nonsense you believe - you are a corpse. After all, a corpse cannot suffer, cannot foresee a future (it's time is over), and if myth and literature are any indication, it either resents its loss of place among the living or does not envision itself as belonging to them any longer. You're a corpse, that's all, incapable of creating new thoughts, because your world (and your mind) is just like the grave - a dark box, buried under six feet of dirt, containing nothing but gross and rotten contents that 99.9% of people find vile and foul to behold. The substance, such as it was, is still there. But now it's just residues and mold, only ever decaying into dust.

So I guess, Jrod, that you are indeed unique - a typing corpse, dead meat just regurgitating the same nonsense it had in its actual life. Your absences are due to your loss of energy and motor function due to decay. Your incessant harping on certain topics and meaningless quibbles are just those parts of your brain that haven't yet rotted and fallen out of your skull. I guess the only real question I have is this: Does it hurt to earn your living whoring yourself out to necrophiliac libertarians?

Nice, this is a much more eloquent version of how I've been wanting to ask him how much shouting "But the NAP!" will help someone being strung up in a tree for being the wrong race/religion/etc in his brave new libertarian future.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The big issue with "we should create a stateless society based on the NAP" is the very simple question of "but how do you enforce it?" The answer he comes up with is "DROs, of course!" but how do you enforce them? The free market won't do it. We've seen time and time again throughout history that businesses hate competition and are perfectly happy to collude with their competitors to destroy competition. Just look at the telecom industry. Monopolies, collusion, price fixing...that poo poo is rampant throughout its entire history and the businesses get away with it because how the gently caress can you survive in contemporary America without access to a phone? Plus if you can choose your own DRO you're going to choose the one friendliest to your interests. They're guaranteed to be corrupt if nobody has any power to force them to not be.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The big issue with "we should create a stateless society based on the NAP" is the very simple question of "but how do you enforce it?" The answer he comes up with is "DROs, of course!" but how do you enforce them? The free market won't do it. We've seen time and time again throughout history that businesses hate competition and are perfectly happy to collude with their competitors to destroy competition. Just look at the telecom industry. Monopolies, collusion, price fixing...that poo poo is rampant throughout its entire history and the businesses get away with it because how the gently caress can you survive in contemporary America without access to a phone? Plus if you can choose your own DRO you're going to choose the one friendliest to your interests. They're guaranteed to be corrupt if nobody has any power to force them to not be.

Ah but you see, monopolies are secured with the collusion of the state :eng101:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

You're alright, Kthulhu. You're alright.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's the fascinating thing about DROs to me. Even if we take obedience to the NAP as given, and discount scenarios like regulatory capture or Valhalla DRO, they still resolve into states almost immediately. People will naturally flock to whichever company offers the best services. And which DRO will offer the best services? The one with the largest network, the best judges, the strongest police. Once everyone you deal with on a daily basis has shifted over to PowerDRO, why would you stick with Mediocracorp? You'd be at a disadvantage in any dispute that broke out.

One of them will naturally monopolize their region without doing anything anti-competitive, and once they have a monopoly, why would they create joinder with any upstart DRO that tries to move in? Treat them as illegitimate, and their customers as having no DRO subscription. Social isolation will bring them to heel. The only DROs to respect are others of their stature, ones that have gained monopoly over neighboring regions, that is to say "other countries." The only difference between states and the year 2 of the DRO system is that the social contract between you and your government is literal rather than implied.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

VitalSigns posted:

Think of how cheap cotton would be if we didn't pay the people who harvest it. Guys, I have an idea; meet me at the South Carolina state capitol...

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
But without the State (grrrr I hate it sooo much!!) we'll all be rich! We'll be the ones who get to corrupt the DROs and then they'll have to do our bidding! Then we'll get those stinking bla.... Hhhhachooo! Sorry, had to sneeze there. Anyways, as I was saying, we'll finally have secured our property rights, which we should care about because

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Ograbme posted:

Think of how cheap cotton would be if we didn't pay the people who harvest it. Guys, I have an idea; meet me at the South Carolina state capitol...

And that's the thing that gets me about the "slavery was becoming unprofitable, it was on its way out" Civil War argument. Not paying people will always be less profitable than paying people. Hiring and training new people to replace turnover will always be more expensive than just not allowing your employees to quit. It really is just that simple.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's honestly not a big mystery. I mean everyone asking these questions I think realizes deep down that they are rhetorical, because even Ayn goddamn Rand realized what "competition in the enforcement market" actually means. Well, I guess I can't say for sure how she imagined it because she just left it as a rhetorical question herself. I think it's more useful to answer the question and put the onus on anarcho-capitalists to refute it: nothing resembles this "DRO/covenant community/mutual aid/private charity/everything's insurance and binding arbitration" model more than archetypal feudalism.

Ultimately, the right of exit is a farce when there is no way to survive economically outside the DRO system and opting into a DRO means, in practice, moving into a physically located community which will have its own "covenant" proscribing your actions and which may even be nothing more than the company town of a business. Joining a covenant will probably require, in practice, obeying the regulations and abiding by the judgements of the DRO (signing up for "coverage") that the community contracted with for arbitration and security services. Like healthcare in the US, actually being able to afford the DRO's fees might be offset as a benefit of employment; no prize for guessing how the relationship between your employer and the DRO your employer provides you for justice would work out in any conflict between you and your boss. If mutual aid works in libertopia the way it worked in reality, then this adherence to community norms and DRO regulations will mirror qualification for mutual aid benefits: you have to meet the moral (and possibly ethnic/religious/cultural) requirements of whatever organization provides the aid. It's not hard to imagine aid organizations that operate more as charities being religious in nature and using the aid they provide to convert or at least enforce the adherence of their clients. Mutual aid/charitable organizations may align themselves with DROs, completing the "package."

You can already see these related structures merging together into things that resemble medieval monarchies. It will be quite possible for one DRO to obtain an effective territorial monopoly on force and operate as the head of a complex hierarchy of subordinate/franchise DROs and company town covenant communities, and with its practical authority morally bolstered by an interlocking relationship with mutual aid and charitable institutions. On no level will warfare be avoided in this system because, in practice, the complex web of contracts holding this all together and the competing, overlapping, and redundant forms of arbitration authority will provide as many pretexts for "aggressive repossession and recovery of damages" as needed, which can be worked out by the loser transferring ownership and authority of various enterprises to the winner. The outlines of three estates vaguely come into focus, but instead of "warriors, clerics, and peasants" it's security insurance, charity, and employees.

Reading Hoppe and Molyneux makes it clear that these are features, not bugs.

eta:

Nolanar posted:

The only difference between states and the year 2 of the DRO system is that the social contract between you and your government is literal rather than implied.

And by year ~10 or so, for the first Generation $, it's back to being a social contract in effect. Maybe with a token ritual signature ceremony upon reaching whatever qualifies as the age of majority, or as you might call it, an oath of fealty.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 22, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nolanar posted:

And that's the thing that gets me about the "slavery was becoming unprofitable, it was on its way out" Civil War argument. Not paying people will always be less profitable than paying people. Hiring and training new people to replace turnover will always be more expensive than just not allowing your employees to quit. It really is just that simple.

It's easy to see why these clever loophole justifications for "voluntary slavery" are so appealing to anarcho-capitalists: in slavery, labor is essentially a capital investment.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Nolanar posted:

In addition black slaves developed innovative working techniques, were often fed diets comparatively high in protein, and were themselves extraordinarily valuable because of the effective end of safe and legal imports (iirc on most plantations the value of the slaves outstripped the value of the land), providing their owners with a growing supply of underlying capital as well as labour that they could reproduce at the biological ceiling for human reproduction.
Oh and you can murder and torture them at will if they don't work hard enough.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I saw a banner ad from across the room, it actually said "DAD vs DAD" (maybe it was for that will ferrell/mark wahlberg movie) but for a minute I thought it said "DRO vs DRO" and I got really excited.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
Did jrod ever come out explicitly in favor of the DRO-centric society, or did we just latch onto it from HHH and jrod never bothered to deny it?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Disinterested posted:

In addition black slaves developed innovative working techniques, were often fed diets comparatively high in protein, and were themselves extraordinarily valuable because of the effective end of safe and legal imports (iirc on most plantations the value of the slaves outstripped the value of the land), providing their owners with a growing supply of underlying capital as well as labour that they could reproduce at the biological ceiling for human reproduction.
Oh and you can murder and torture them at will if they don't work hard enough.

And, as I've posted direct evidence of before, slave owners at that very time were complaining that the free states were preventing their equal access to the territories, where they could put their "property" to use in new, profitable ways. The idea that slavery was already dying in the US during the late ante-bellum period is a hot sack of ahistorical garbage.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Nolanar posted:

At the time of the American Revolution a lot of people interested in political economy were of the belief that slavery was on the way out, would become unprofitable, and disappear of its own accord. This was unlikely but may have seemed plausible to someone with a strongly held liberal notion of society and historical forces.

What actually transpired was cotton became first a feasible cash crop and then, with the first industrial revolution in Britain, the most essential commodity in global trade, the petroleum of its day. This in turn created a thriving internal market in human chattel as the established slaveholding regions like Virginia and the Carolinas exported the slaves necessary to develop the burgeoning cotton states like Alabama and Mississippi. Slavery actually became more important and entrenched than ever, and the American South basically developed into a complex machine that turned human suffering into the cotton that fueled the world economy. This in turn fueled plans for the further expansion of slavery into areas where the path had previously been barred; e.g. shredding the Missouri Compromise and launching an armed invasion of Kansas, and many other aggressive and belligerent actions.

The reality of the election of 1860 was that Lincoln won because the slave power was then stronger than it ever had been. Slavery became the central, unavoidable issue of the day and forced a response from the majority of the population that had to that point been content to avoid the issue as long as they weren't forced to see slavery in their own communities. They finally understood that the aim of their opponents was conquest rather than coexistence--slave markets in Boston Common, ordinary citizens forcibly deputized as slave hunters by unaccountable out-of-state law enforcement, critics of slavery terrorized into silence by the threat or actuality of violence.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Juffo-Wup posted:

Did jrod ever come out explicitly in favor of the DRO-centric society, or did we just latch onto it from HHH and jrod never bothered to deny it?

Hoppe is covenant communities, DROs are Molyneux. Pretty sure he posted Moly's model as a thing he supported.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Juffo-Wup posted:

I believe he cited Molyneux's DRO writings multiple times, and he only stopped citing Hoppe when we wouldn't shut up about what a monster he was.

e: GunnerJ, I'm ratting you out to my DRO! :argh:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

e: GunnerJ, I'm ratting you out to my DRO! :argh:

I've got efb damages coverage so whatever. :smug:

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
Ugh they're so hard to keep straight

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Juffo-Wup posted:

Well you better keep straight, 'cuz we don't cotton much to homos in this here covenant community, boy. :toughguy:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Juffo-Wup posted:

Molyneux is the one who wants everyone to be monitored at all times by an unquestionable panopticon that will sentence you to exile or death at the first sign of disobedience, for freedom. Hoppe is the one who wants all the homosexuals and race-mixers and people who disagree with him to be, ahem, "removed from society," for freedom.

To put it differently, Molyneux's ideal of maximum freedom is "society as insurance company," while Hoppe's ideal is "society as homeowner's association."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nolanar posted:

Molyneux is the one who wants everyone to be monitored at all times by an unquestionable panopticon that will sentence you to exile or death at the first sign of disobedience, for freedom. Hoppe is the one who wants all the homosexuals and race-mixers and people who disagree with him to be, ahem, "removed from society," for freedom.

To put it differently, Molyneux's ideal of maximum freedom is "society as insurance company," while Hoppe's ideal is "society as homeowner's association."

More relevant to the thread: Though both are incredibly misogynistic and racist, Molyneux is more misogynistic, whereas Hoppe is more racist.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Anybody who knows anything about the 1850's can tell you, jrod, that the issue of slavery made congress into a completely nonfunctioning body. If you think our current congressional deadlock is bad, imagine trying to get anything passed while half the country believes literally every bill is a conspiracy to end slavery.

Basically nothing of substance was done nationally in the 1850s without risking open war between North and South. Admission of states, territorial purchases or expansion, building a goddamn railroad, you couldn't do loving anything politically without going through months of agonizing debate about slavery, trying to cool down threats of secession, and ultimately producing compromises that made matters worse. The compromise of 1850 to allow California into the Union as a free state resulted in the Fugitive Slave Act, which dramatically increased abolitionist sentiment in the North, because it essentially legalized the false imprisonment of free blacks. The Kansas-Nebraska Act settled the transcontinental railroad issue by breaking previous compromises on the expansion of slave states. It would allow Kansas and Nebraska to decide whether to be free or slave states, and the result was a bloody invasion of Kansas by proto-Confederate southerners. This mess created the Republican Party and put abolitionism at the top of the list of concerns in the North.

Knowing this context, doesn't it make perfect sense that Lincoln's racism and abolitionism can indeed coexist? There were a lot of abolitionists who wanted to end slavery not because they felt blacks were the equals of whites, or because they thought whites and blacks should have an egalitarian and integrated society, but because slavery itself made the country ungovernable. Indeed, even believing that saving the Union was more important than ending slavery is a perfectly valid point of view for Lincoln and his contemporaries, with respect to the larger political context. Lincoln still held out hope that he could preserve the Union by a combination of diplomacy and forcing the south to sue for peace through military encirclement and blockade. Eventually, with the fire-eaters out of power in the south, a gradual and peaceful emancipation could occur. The North did not commit to total war until it became apparent that there was no possibility of a political solution to secession.

EvanSchenck posted:

At the time of the American Revolution a lot of people interested in political economy were of the belief that slavery was on the way out, would become unprofitable, and disappear of its own accord. This was unlikely but may have seemed plausible to someone with a strongly held liberal notion of society and historical forces.

What actually transpired was cotton became first a feasible cash crop and then, with the first industrial revolution in Britain, the most essential commodity in global trade, the petroleum of its day. This in turn created a thriving internal market in human chattel as the established slaveholding regions like Virginia and the Carolinas exported the slaves necessary to develop the burgeoning cotton states like Alabama and Mississippi. Slavery actually became more important and entrenched than ever, and the American South basically developed into a complex machine that turned human suffering into the cotton that fueled the world economy. This in turn fueled plans for the further expansion of slavery into areas where the path had previously been barred; e.g. shredding the Missouri Compromise and launching an armed invasion of Kansas, and many other aggressive and belligerent actions.

The reality of the election of 1860 was that Lincoln won because the slave power was then stronger than it ever had been. Slavery became the central, unavoidable issue of the day and forced a response from the majority of the population that had to that point been content to avoid the issue as long as they weren't forced to see slavery in their own communities. They finally understood that the aim of their opponents was conquest rather than coexistence--slave markets in Boston Common, ordinary citizens forcibly deputized as slave hunters by unaccountable out-of-state law enforcement, critics of slavery terrorized into silence by the threat or actuality of violence.

Jrod has totally studied the Civil War Era, so I'm sure he'll be along any moment to address these posts.

Any minute now...

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

DrProsek posted:

Step 3: Spread the population of earthquake prone California out throughout whatever disaster-free zone remains.

At this point we're all living in.... northern Ontario I guess?

"As long as I get to keep my racial covenants, this sounds good to me."
-Ludwig von Mises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I am passing judgement on jrod in abstensia since he's failed to show up to property court.

Jrod doesn't pay federal taxes and is a poopy head. Libertarian case for self determination is hereby dismissed.

• Locked thread