Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

OhFunny posted:

Speaking of Vader. I can't wait to see him kill these upstart pretenders.

I think the fake cyber-newtype Jedi are purposely lovely and lame so that it's satisfying when Vader kills them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

OhFunny posted:

Her lightsaber is green so I guess she'll be revealed to be a good guy.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

site posted:

And then get chumped by Vader anyway

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

Nah, the Mon Calamari cyborg has multiple colors, including a purple one.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So, I pulled the trigger on some TPBs of Star Wars and Darth Vader.

Trades 1 and 2 of DV came in today and they were fantastic. They really sold him as a brilliant and utterly terrifying monster with a few moments of pathos sprinkled in. I hope Space Holmes shows up again in the future; he was awesome. I loved how annoyed he got at how stupid the not-jedi kids were and the tension of him constantly on the verge of unraveling Vader's schemes. Liking Aphra too. She started out kind of annoying, but the second TPB brought a lot of depth to the character. Only bad things are going to happen if she stays around Vader, but she doesn't really have the choice of leaving and doesn't really want to even if she could.

I've only read the first TPB of Star Wars, but the second one should arrive tomorrow. So far it's done a pretty good job of capturing the characters as they were in ANH. Han is a low-life showing flashes of being something more; Leia is a hardass who wants to shoot Han in the face when she doesn't want to kiss him; and Luke is the whiny, know-nothing farmboy who's got a lot of growing up to do. Probably not as good as the Vader book overall, but I'm definitely looking forward to the next TPB.

I almost ordered the Vader Down TPB as well, but I wanted to see what other people thought about it first. And does it lead into future stories in the main SW and DV books, or is it self-contained?

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Vader Down only just wrapped up, so we haven't seen if it has any impact on the ongoing lines. That said. I really enjoyed it and think it's worth grabbing if you enjoyed the others so far.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

Nah, the Mon Calamari cyborg has multiple colors, including a purple one.

Was supposed to be a joke on Lucas' pickyness but I guess it wasn't that good :p

Well Vader Down was only stand alone for one issue and then ran through both Star Wars and Darth Vader series, so I don't see why it wouldn't affect their stories. And yeah it was good, Vader's a loving boss in it

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I honestly thought Vader Down felt way over the top. I know Vader's a badass, but come on.

I did just read Lando and that was really awesome. Lobot :smith:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

OhFunny posted:

Is the one on the right supposed to be Not!Mara Jade?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Canemacar posted:

I've only read the first TPB of Star Wars, but the second one should arrive tomorrow. So far it's done a pretty good job of capturing the characters as they were in ANH. Han is a low-life showing flashes of being something more; Leia is a hardass who wants to shoot Han in the face when she doesn't want to kiss him; and Luke is the whiny, know-nothing farmboy who's got a lot of growing up to do. Probably not as good as the Vader book overall, but I'm definitely looking forward to the next TPB.

Although its not a terrible read, I've cooled off the main Star Wars book a ton since it came out. Luke will show some mastery over the Force and maybe do something cool, then it slips away and he reminds himself that he has a long way to go before he's a real Jedi. Repeat ad nauseum, because the book is set between Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back, so he can't actually show much learning or growth because he's still a novice when the next movie starts. It was neat during the Boba Fett encounter, but started to get old by the time he tries to use the Force in the gladiator arena and gets knocked on his rear end for his trouble.

I didn't mind the same setup nearly as much for Vader, because he spent a lot of off-screen time in the movies that gets filled in here, and really, he was already a well-developed character at this point, so I don't feel like he's rehashing the same character beats over and over like Luke. Plus, his main development is discovering Luke is his son, which happened mostly off-screen in the movies, and so is available to explore in the comics.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Phenotype posted:

I didn't mind the same setup nearly as much for Vader, because he spent a lot of off-screen time in the movies that gets filled in here, and really, he was already a well-developed character at this point, so I don't feel like he's rehashing the same character beats over and over like Luke. Plus, his main development is discovering Luke is his son, which happened mostly off-screen in the movies, and so is available to explore in the comics.

And also the fallout from the loss of the Death Star, and the development of a more antagonistic relationship with the Emperor.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Canemacar posted:

I almost ordered the Vader Down TPB as well, but I wanted to see what other people thought about it first. And does it lead into future stories in the main SW and DV books, or is it self-contained?
The Vader Down crossover is certainly going to affect the the third arcs of Star Wars and Vader due to a certain character getting captured.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is the one on the right supposed to be Not!Mara Jade?
Not really, no. They're part of an experiment to create cyborg fake Jedi. She and the guy are siblings. Vader's not happy about the whole thing.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So did anyone else find the artwork in this week's Star Wars to be a little...off?

And also, jesus Owen I get that you don't want Obi-Wan giving Luke stuff for something he's supposed to be grounded from, but to complain that you're the only one not being robbed by Jabba and raided by Tuskens is a loving dumb thing to bitch about. A simple "I don't particularly like you hanging around but...thanks for not letting us get murdered in our sleep." isn't much to ask.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So did anyone else find the artwork in this week's Star Wars to be a little...off?

And also, jesus Owen I get that you don't want Obi-Wan giving Luke stuff for something he's supposed to be grounded from, but to complain that you're the only one not being robbed by Jabba and raided by Tuskens is a loving dumb thing to bitch about. A simple "I don't particularly like you hanging around but...thanks for not letting us get murdered in our sleep." isn't much to ask.

It might make other locals resentful I guess, and being sideeyed by Jabba for being "untouchable" probably isn't a good thing.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Why would Jabba want to extort a moisture farmer?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He extorts everybody. They mention Jabba's water tax.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
He could probably force business owners to screw Owen on purchases or flat out not sell to him too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

plainswalker75 posted:

Hmm, yeah I had forgotten about that.

Not to mention Obi Won tells Luke why he claimed Darth Vader killed Anakin in RotJ.

Similar question, I've seen it mentioned a few time that the movies straight up calls Jedi a religion, but the only times I can think of is Han and Motti in ANH and both times it's being dismissed as hokey superstition. Are there any instances of someone that actually understands the force calling it a religion?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not to mention Obi Won tells Luke why he claimed Darth Vader killed Anakin in RotJ.

Similar question, I've seen it mentioned a few time that the movies straight up calls Jedi a religion, but the only times I can think of is Han and Motti in ANH and both times it's being dismissed as hokey superstition. Are there any instances of someone that actually understands the force calling it a religion?

Tarkin does in ANH, and he's shown in clone wars to sometimes work with the Jedi and obviously works with the emperor and Vader. But I suppose his level of understanding could be up to debate.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

BizarroAzrael posted:

And also the fallout from the loss of the Death Star, and the development of a more antagonistic relationship with the Emperor.

Yes, that too! I think that's why I like the Vader book so much - the movies focused on the good guys, and so basically everything Vader went through during the OT besides his actual confrontations with them were just kind of hinted at off-screen, and so there's a lot of character development that they can do from scratch. We know he eventually breaks from the Dark Side due to love for his son, but the journey he takes to get there is largely unknown and makes a good story.

Meanwhile, the story of a boy growing into a warrior is severely hamstrung if you're unable to show him making any real progress in growing into a warrior.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is there some resource on the stuff from the old EU that's been integrated into the new canon?

Offhand I can think of:
Black Sun (only as a name so far)
House Viszla and the Deathwatch
It looks like a bunch of Boba Fett's background (like Concord Dawn) are being incorporated in upcoming Rebels episodes
Interdictor Cruisers

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is there some resource on the stuff from the old EU that's been integrated into the new canon?

There's sort of hints that Revan is. Kylo's look is very much based ohf his, but according to Wookiepedia, his lightsaber design also dates from the time of the Great Scourge of Malachor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The novelisation of Episode III has an expanded version of the scene where Mace Windu and his cannon fodder go to arrest Palpatine, and he says something like, "Come now, Master Windu, even if I was a Sith Lord, there's nothing in the constitution that says I couldn't hold office because of my religious beliefs," which I quite enjoyed.

Re: EU holdovers: Darth Bane is still part of the backstory. He appeared as a Sith ghost (voiced by Mark Hamill!) in one of the Netflix episodes of the Clone Wars.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Force is not a religion any more than gravity is. It's science. It's a thing that exists that can be manipulated in various ways, and an individual's potential ability to do that can be objectively measured.

Jedi and Sith are religions with beliefs on what the Force means, where it comes from, and how it can and should be used.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

The Force is not a religion any more than gravity is. It's science. It's a thing that exists that can be manipulated in various ways, and an individual's potential ability to do that can be objectively measured.

Jedi and Sith are religions with beliefs on what the Force means, where it comes from, and how it can and should be used.

Boy, someone should tell every fantasy writer in existence that their clerics are not religious because they can cast Cure Light Wounds.

Also the Force is explicitly some form of sentient and can guide people's actions which is a bit more than "a thing that exists to be manipulated."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 22, 2016

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I read the first couple of issues of the current Star Wars ongoing, and I couldn't get past the bad artwork. It looks like an IDW Star Trek book.

I see that different people work on it as time goes on, please tell me it just improves across the board.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Boy, someone should tell every fantasy writer in existence that their clerics are not religious because they can cast Cure Light Wounds.

Also the Force is explicitly some form of sentient and can guide people's actions which is a bit more than "a thing that exists to be manipulated."
Clerics are religious because they follow and worship a god who they believe guides their actions. If they can't perform their magical abilities without this, then that's beside the point, but most fantasy I've seen suggests you don't need any specific belief system to wield magic in some form beyond and understanding of how it works.

Even the Star Wars movies are pretty straight-forward that Force sensitives can use the Force without any specific training or belief system, just not as well as someone with dedicated training. You do NOT have to believe what the Jedi or Sith believe to be able to use the Force, you just have to have the right body parts.

Belief in the Force is not religion, because it's not something that can be denied. I don't stop sticking to the groun because I don't follow any religions.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I read the first couple of issues of the current Star Wars ongoing, and I couldn't get past the bad artwork. It looks like an IDW Star Trek book.

I see that different people work on it as time goes on, please tell me it just improves across the board.
Stuart Immonen is a vastly better artist than Cassaday.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OhFunny posted:

The Vader Down crossover is certainly going to affect the the third arcs of Star Wars and Vader due to a certain character getting captured.

As for that spoiler There is no way that she didn't allow herself to be captured on Vader's orders

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Belief in the Force is not religion, because it's not something that can be denied. I don't stop sticking to the groun because I don't follow any religions.

That is not the definition of religion. Religion has nothing to do with the fact that something can be disbelieved. Even if someone proved tomorrow that God exists incontrovertibly it wouldn't make belief in him not religious.

And likewise The Force is something that can be denied and is in fact done so by people in the setting. To quote Han Solo: "Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense." Notice that what he's denying isn't that dudes can move stuff with their mind but that The Force is an all-powerful thing that controls everything.

"May the Force Be With You" (which is said even by non-Jedis I'll note) isn't saying "may the psychic ability move things with your mind be with you." It's explicitly more of a "may God be with you."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 22, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Order 66 was actually The Rapture.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Jedi are mainline Protestants, while the Sith are what Jack Chick imagines Roman Catholics to be like. :v:

I can't remember whether they ever did any stories where a Jedi came to the Order with existing religious beliefs and couldn't square them with the Force, Jedi being more or less trained from birth and all that. However, there was a story (The Truce At Bakura) where Luke has this fling with an ex-Imperial senator who's part of a religion predicated on the idea of cosmic balance, which is opposed to the Jedi because they believe that their connection gives them too much power and thus upsets the equilibrium of the universe. Something like that. It wasn't a great story.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The worst part was finding out that Luke apparently always wore the same outfit his entire life. Every year Beru bought him the next size up, I guess

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

The worst part was finding out that Luke apparently always wore the same outfit his entire life. Every year Beru bought him the next size up, I guess

Honestly, I'd believe that.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Were the Knights of the Old Republic comic books any good? I remember reading the first few issues and found them OK, and I was wondering if I should check the rest.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I really liked them, the characters were solid and they didn't get to heavy with tying it into the game, though those characters do pop up. It actually gives Revan some character from the few issues he is, and they are only a few.

The art varies from passable to bad tho.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I enjoyed it. It made Malak into not a giant chump, which I appreciated.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cptn_dr posted:

Though it did give him a bit of a silly surname.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

I dunno. I always kind liked how Malak was always a huge fuckup who rode Revan's coat tails.

I liked to imagine during his big finale speech, Revan was thinking to him/herself "Oh my god, shut up. You're not a badass. I remember when you used to get wedgied back in school."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The real reason Malak betrayed Revan was that when they weren't out conquering the galaxy, Revan spent all his spare time griefing Malak when they played Star Wars: Battlefront.