Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

extra stout posted:

here's a nod for ya

WHAT IS THIS I NEED IT NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hey thread, I'm a completely new player who just got his guardian to level 15 (on Landroval of course). Is there any sort of up to date new player guide? I subbed a month to get the quest packs as well if that matters, because I really like what I'm seeing so far.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

alucinor posted:

WHAT IS THIS I NEED IT NOW.

New store item Silvan War Antlers, then you can just buy white horse dye but that's more expensive, the antlers are only 495 tp. I saw a guy who had the white fur, antlers, and I think it was some kind of snow beast yule hide or something over it, was amazing. Mine's just the Minas Tirith steed dyed white with the antlers.

SettingSun posted:

Hey thread, I'm a completely new player who just got his guardian to level 15 (on Landroval of course). Is there any sort of up to date new player guide? I subbed a month to get the quest packs as well if that matters, because I really like what I'm seeing so far.

I don't know of any really popular amazing guides but there is a rough one on lotro.com I linked on the first page, as well as a wiki one or a forums one I think someone else posted. You can always bug people in game and they'll be more helpful and update to date than any guide if you pick the right nerd, what's your guardian's name? I'll send you some gold and pipeweed. Glad to hear you're enjoying it already

Lars posted:

Is there any interest in doing Helegrod, Goblin Throne Room, Cairn Dun? I'm approaching 50 fast soloing but I would love to see some group content. (Or would somebody take me on a guided tour with a 100 or 2?)

Sure, you should really add The Rift to that list it's pretty cool. What's your name in game again? I'll run you through it if you can't find a similar level group.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 23, 2016

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If you see Edheladan on, I'm usually down to run whatever or help with quests. Only a feeble level 79, though.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Run the epic story. Run all of it. If someone tries to tell you not to, ignore them. The epic story lines are great. Do anything else along the way that looks interesting to you.

Run the Great Barrows instances around 22ish, then run the Garth Agarwen stuff around 32ish. At that point, you'll need to buy the Evendim quest pack and your choice of either the Trollshaws/Misty Mountains/Angmar/Forochel/Eregion quest pack. At 45 you immediately buy the best value option that gets you the Moria expansion, and run straight to the Moria intro quests so that you can get your first 2 Legendary Items - which for Guardians will be a weapon and a belt.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

extra stout posted:

New store item Silvan War Antlers, then you can just buy white horse dye but that's more expensive, the antlers are only 495 tp. I saw a guy who had the white fur, antlers, and I think it was some kind of snow beast yule hide or something over it, was amazing. Mine's just the Minas Tirith steed dyed white with the antlers.

Thanks, they are exactly as awesome as I thought they would be.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ignore the epics they're shite.

Phooch
Oct 18, 2006
I made a loremaster named Jhiaxus and will hit an officer up for an invitation.

Phooch fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 23, 2016

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Phooch posted:

I made a loremaster named Jhiaxus and will hit an officer up for an invitation.

i-get-that-reference.jpg

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

sassassin posted:

Ignore the epics they're shite.

It's hilarious because you were the person I was specifically thinking of when I wrote that.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

extra stout posted:

Sure, you should really add The Rift to that list it's pretty cool. What's your name in game again? I'll run you through it if you can't find a similar level group.

I'm playing on Osrandir - just made it to level 51. I'm a filthy euro spy, so I'm on at weird times.

Ooh ooh - btw - The riding traits are on sale atm. Is the only way (besides scrolls) to go faster than 68% to invest in the 78% journeman riding for 2k+ tp?

Lars fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 25, 2016

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Finally hit the Misty Mountains, and immediately remembered why winter zones are my favorite type of zones in MMORPGs. So pretty. I'll level to 45, pick up those legendary weapons, and then I'll make Lembas and stuff for a day or two.

edit:

Gonna hit you guys up for a Fellowship invite soon!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lars posted:

I'm playing on Osrandir - just made it to level 51. I'm a filthy euro spy, so I'm on at weird times.

Ooh ooh - btw - The riding traits are on sale atm. Is the only way (besides scrolls) to go faster than 68% to invest in the 78% journeman riding for 2k+ tp?

You'll get a warhorse eventually and they go fast.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

sassassin posted:

You'll get a warhorse eventually and they go fast.

Alright - I'll hold out on that then. Thanks!

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
So, I made it to Moria at 52½ and just "quickly" grinding out the last of the epics in old-land before "heading in". Is there a point to get crafting (I'm a Tinker) up to par with what's going on within Moria? Or should I just go and forget it, and handle it later?
I figured I could start the Bingo Boffin chain and just spend a bit of time getting some mats along his way with not a lot of downtime.

Lars fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 26, 2016

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Lars posted:

So, I made it to Moria at 52½ and just "quickly" grinding out the last of the epics in old-land before "heading in". Is there a point to get crafting (I'm a Tinker) up to par with what's going on within Moria? Or should I just go and forget it, and handle it later?
I figured I could start the Bingo Boffin chain and just spend a bit of time getting some mats along his way with not a lot of downtime.

Auction hall is your friend, Or the kinship can send you some mats along.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Lars posted:

Unless something has changed, crafting is mostly a big time and money waste just because you want to see a full bar when you look at your skills list or whatever. It gets exponentially more grindy as it goes up in tiers (I can't speak to the latest tier). The armor you can make with it is nice, but never ever worth the effort compared to what you can get via other means.

There are only 2 reasons to do it:
1. You want to make first agers (but we have people in the guild who can make them for you, or someone on the server will, probably cheap/free if you provide the mats).
2. You just enjoy it, at which point, go for it! Get some speed potions or whatever off the store that make crafting time faster, else literally queue it up and come back in half an hour.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
At least crafting eventually added the Processing thing that basically eats materials to let you level the craft faster. It doesn't address the fact that resource gathering is still hellishly boring but it's a start.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I had leveled Weaponsmithing back when we were on Silverlode because I was used to playing when there was nobody else online in the Nazgun. Now that we're on Landroval it's kinda pointless for me to spend my limited gaming time leveling crafting. If you have the spare time, you can make a pretty decent amount of gold through essence crafting, and I'd imagine gear crafting as well.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

Lars posted:

Is there a point to get crafting (I'm a Tinker) up to par with what's going on within Moria? Or should I just go and forget it, and handle it later?

As other have said, craft if you enjoy it but it's not going to change your gaming experience.
As for Scholar, you can do attack and defence scroll and hope token, they are nice to have and certainly very useful for the harder encounter but it's not lfie-changing.
You can also craft first age minstrel and lore master book.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

My main character has the Explorer vocation so he can gather both wood and ore. That's probably the best vocation for people that don't have a lot of time to invest in actually crafting gear, but you can refine the mats to sell on the AH.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

ruffz posted:

My main character has the Explorer vocation so he can gather both wood and ore. That's probably the best vocation for people that don't have a lot of time to invest in actually crafting gear, but you can refine the mats to sell on the AH.

This right here is the correct answer. I would recommend to ALWAYS have explorer as your vocation for your first character (and/or main character). You can then gather the most common materials as you level and at end game, potentially selling them or using them as others have mentioned to give to a kin-mate to craft you something. Save the crafting professions for alts.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

You can make a pretty good living in the game selling current level wood and ore, and especially stuff from mid-level areas like Moria where people are often too lazy to go mine/harvest themselves.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

flowinprose posted:

This right here is the correct answer. I would recommend to ALWAYS have explorer as your vocation for your first character (and/or main character). You can then gather the most common materials as you level and at end game, potentially selling them or using them as others have mentioned to give to a kin-mate to craft you something. Save the crafting professions for alts.

And I have to disagree with you on that. :D

Sure, Explorer is an okay alternative if you're the kind of person that doesn't really like crafting in MMOs(and it does make you some good money), but if you actually like crafting(like I do), then find a profession that has good synergy with your class.

The #1 reason for why you want a good profession is so that you can craft your own 1st & 2nd Age Legendary Items. The most beneficial way to level your crafting is by making Guild Emblems. You want to level Guild Rep so you can make the really good guild recipes. Granted, doing it this way is slower than gently caress, but it's the method that has the best long-term benefits.

You're a RK? Join the Jeweler's Guild ASAP. Goons will probably be happy to throw mats at you to help you out.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Scooted over to Moria at 45 and got my first Legendary weapon. Only back in Rivendell did I remember that people in this thread were talking about two items from Moria. What other piece of (Legendary?) equipment was I supposed to pick up there?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Jack's Flow posted:

Scooted over to Moria at 45 and got my first Legendary weapon. Only back in Rivendell did I remember that people in this thread were talking about two items from Moria. What other piece of (Legendary?) equipment was I supposed to pick up there?
It depends on your class. If you're a Hunter or Warden then it'll be a melee weapon. Otherwise, it's something that goes in your "Class" slot. Could be a book. Could be a belt. Could be a rock with stuff chiseled into it.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

ArchWizard posted:

It depends on your class. If you're a Hunter or Warden then it'll be a melee weapon. Otherwise, it's something that goes in your "Class" slot. Could be a book. Could be a belt. Could be a rock with stuff chiseled into it.

Ok, thank you. Somehow I missed it then. Is it a separate quest? Or the same that yielded the melee weapon? Got a sword, and was sent to the Forge-Master in Rivendell. Gotta hit the LOTRO Wiki.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 27, 2016

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Jack's Flow posted:

Ok, thank you. Somehow I missed it then. Is it a separate quest? Or the same that yielded the melee weapon? Got a sword, and was sent to the Forge-Master in Rivendell. Gotta hit the LOTRO Wiki.
You need to continue the epic to get it.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

ArchWizard posted:

You need to continue the epic to get it.

Yeah, just read that I simply need to do the final few steps in the chain. My bad. Too hasty. Thanks for the help.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Brave New World posted:

And I have to disagree with you on that. :D

Sure, Explorer is an okay alternative if you're the kind of person that doesn't really like crafting in MMOs(and it does make you some good money), but if you actually like crafting(like I do), then find a profession that has good synergy with your class.

The #1 reason for why you want a good profession is so that you can craft your own 1st & 2nd Age Legendary Items. The most beneficial way to level your crafting is by making Guild Emblems. You want to level Guild Rep so you can make the really good guild recipes. Granted, doing it this way is slower than gently caress, but it's the method that has the best long-term benefits.

You're a RK? Join the Jeweler's Guild ASAP. Goons will probably be happy to throw mats at you to help you out.

Sure, crafting is fine if you like it, but in my opinion it is best saved for an alt because you don't have to be anywhere near max level (unless they've changed something) in order to max out crafting professions. On the other hand, collecting materials is best done on your highest level character.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Rename explorer to millennial because you essentially re-sell poo poo you didn't make on ebay, have no understanding of the world or a craft of your own.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

extra stout posted:

Rename explorer to millennial because you essentially re-sell poo poo you didn't make on ebay, have no understanding of the world or a craft of your own.
Explorers have Tailoring so they can make bespoke artisanal scarves out of Fair Trade cloth and free range leather :colbert:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ArchWizard posted:

Explorers have Tailoring so they can make bespoke artisanal scarves out of Fair Trade cloth and free range leather :colbert:

So a beorning explorer could both sell artisan scarves and artisan organic self made honey on their etsy? Updating the OP with a new get rich quick guide.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

extra stout posted:

Explorer is handy on my Captain because I was able to make my own banner and herald dressup outfits. :colbert:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Ran into a couple of level 100 players with 40,000 hp for the first time today. I guess that's what it looks like when you've been playing (and raiding) for a couple of years. Also, I can't wait to get a war-horse.

edit: Completely forgot how much I hated Angmar. Ugh.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 29, 2016

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Jack's Flow posted:

Ran into a couple of level 100 players with 40,000 hp for the first time today. I guess that's what it looks like when you've been playing (and raiding) for a couple of years. Also, I can't wait to get a war-horse.

It's crazy how much morale you can get with essence gear now. My guardian has basically just quest gear plus a couple pieces from the Minas Tirith epic battles, and is sitting a bit under 29,000. I'd only pay for high end essences if I had the time to spend 20 hours a week in group instances.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
On the subject of Crafting : I have a top crafting tier Scholar, Jeweller, and Weaponsmith. My metalsmith is almost there too.

If you need something crafted let me know here or in game (Nazgun / Jaia). I don't always have all the tier of material in stock so providing them might be required.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey,

I am looking for some newb advice on low level tanking. I recently discovered that I am a bad tank, I either cannot hold aggro or I go down lickety split, and the more I've read the more confused I have got. So I had hoped that somebody here could help set me straight on the matter.

I recently did some instances where I was the primary tank, including my first go at Ost Elendil, where I did horribly until somebody told me to go Blue Line instead of Red. Obviously this allowed me to keep aggro, but I don't have the ability to heal as well (no heals on crits) so I die. A lot. Now I realize I could spend points in red line while I'm blue line, but doing so eats up so many points that at level 41 I have very little left over to spend on blue line.

I've also seen a lot of posts on other sites talking about Guardians needing to focus on Might and Fate, not Might and Vitality, as the increase to the mits from Fate are better. But this flies in the face of what I was originally told when I started out (though it sorta makes sense to me.)

Lastly I've heard people brag about being about to tank 3-6 mobs at a time with their Guardian, while I can do 1-3, sometimes more if I'm a little lucky or they are lower level. I feel inferior and wonder if it is my play style.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

I want to be able to group and not suck. That's really it.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I'm in on Landroval as a lowly hunter. Name is Faingorian, if someone has a chance to throw me an invite. Things have changed a good bit since the last time I played (a few years ago) but I'd really like to see some of the stories through. I never really ever got through starting areas when I'd played before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Titus82 posted:

Hey,

I am looking for some newb advice on low level tanking. I recently discovered that I am a bad tank, I either cannot hold aggro or I go down lickety split, and the more I've read the more confused I have got. So I had hoped that somebody here could help set me straight on the matter.

I recently did some instances where I was the primary tank, including my first go at Ost Elendil, where I did horribly until somebody told me to go Blue Line instead of Red. Obviously this allowed me to keep aggro, but I don't have the ability to heal as well (no heals on crits) so I die. A lot. Now I realize I could spend points in red line while I'm blue line, but doing so eats up so many points that at level 41 I have very little left over to spend on blue line.

I've also seen a lot of posts on other sites talking about Guardians needing to focus on Might and Fate, not Might and Vitality, as the increase to the mits from Fate are better. But this flies in the face of what I was originally told when I started out (though it sorta makes sense to me.)

Lastly I've heard people brag about being about to tank 3-6 mobs at a time with their Guardian, while I can do 1-3, sometimes more if I'm a little lucky or they are lower level. I feel inferior and wonder if it is my play style.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

I want to be able to group and not suck. That's really it.

Gear and experience are the main thing that let people take on a bunch of mobs at once. In group content someone else should be your source of healing, though I haven't played guardian before. A really good warden might keep themselves up on trash and such for I haven't seen one self-heal enough against bosses outside of some 3 man content.