Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The whole Holocaust aspect of Novigrad left more of an impression on me than any of the gang warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

GuyUpNorth posted:

Novigrad is gang politics and the like, in stark contrast to Peasant Misery Simulator so you just have to get used to that with perhaps new perspective. Skellige's main plot starts a fairly consistent tone.

Fair enough, I guess what I liked about Velen was doing the main story quest while occasionally riding out in the wilds to help a peasant village overcome their local monster. In Novigrad I feel there is a bigger disconnect between those two, as well as the story just being less interesting. But these are all small complaints about a great game.

gently caress that interface though, it's not funny on a PS4.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Novigrad's probably the shittiest part of the game if only because of how often you have to run to the exact opposite end of where you are in the city.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah, Geralt resembles the typical gruff hero type enough that there were a few early criticisms of the character that jumped the gun based on first impressions, but he's got a lot more personality than even he's comfortable admitting.

seems like a good time to repost this, witcher as pulp detective novel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkIKbTiuJ9A

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

kanonvandekempen posted:

I love this game as much as anyone in this thread, but I'm in Novigrad on my first play through, and unless the main quest picks up again very soon, the story i'm experiencing now is in no way consistent in quality with the early parts of Velen (Bloody Baron/Crones)

That's fair enough, it seems a lot of players find Novigrad to be the weakest area (myself included) but that's really only in comparison to the rest of the game. Novigrad is a change of pace for sure but it has some really awesome quests.

What I meant by consistent in quality is that there's almost zero "filler" content. Compare to, say, Dragon Age: Inquisition or Fallout 4 where much of the gameplay is "collect five bear asses" or "go clear out dungeon X and retrieve plot Macguffin."

The assumption most open-world RPGs make is that you have to water down your quests, especially making side-quests generic grindy gameplay, to fill a large world.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pellisworth posted:

That's fair enough, it seems a lot of players find Novigrad to be the weakest area (myself included) but that's really only in comparison to the rest of the game. Novigrad is a change of pace for sure but it has some really awesome quests.

What I meant by consistent in quality is that there's almost zero "filler" content. Compare to, say, Dragon Age: Inquisition or Fallout 4 where much of the gameplay is "collect five bear asses" or "go clear out dungeon X and retrieve plot Macguffin."

The assumption most open-world RPGs make is that you have to water down your quests, especially making side-quests generic grindy gameplay, to fill a large world.

Most of the filler content in Witcher 3 is "do this to do that to find them to do that to find them to do that to finish this quest". A character even jokes/complains about it at one point.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TheHoosier posted:

Out of the "gritty, gravely Male Protagonist" that games have, like Batman, Snake, Marcus Fenix, etc, Geralt tends to be the most engaging as well. Yeah I guess you as the player develop most of his sensibilities and characteristics, but the even in that respect Geralt feels really fleshed-out and alive. even with the player making most of the decisions, Geralt seems to have some personality beyond "kill enemies, growl a lot." so yeah I agree with Witcher 3 being a pillar of the genre from here on. i'm certainly having a blast with it. even the somewhat samey Witcher Contracts have writing that makes them feel unique.

Outside of his voice (which I think works well for a century-old dude who has Seen Some poo poo), I don't even think Geralt fits within that category at all. E.g., if Geralt were confronted with some bullshit like Riddler challenges, he'd roll his eyes so hard that they'd pop out of his head, possibly make a terrible punny joke, then go see if Catwoman was up for a quick shag.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jack of Hearts posted:

Outside of his voice (which I think works well for a century-old dude who has Seen Some poo poo), I don't even think Geralt fits within that category at all. E.g., if Geralt were confronted with some bullshit like Riddler challenges, he'd roll his eyes so hard that they'd pop out of his head, possibly make a terrible punny joke, then go see if Catwoman was up for a quick shag.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I've seen this image many times now and it still makes me laugh every time. :allears:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I've seen this image many times now and it still makes me laugh every time. :allears:

It's probably true, if you never get past White Orchard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

Don't you remember the part of the game where Geralt finds Ciri, seemingly dead, and just says "ok" and leaves?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

homullus posted:

It's probably true, if you never get past White Orchard.
Geralt expresses fear and vulnerability and also smiles in the game's introduction! The worst part too is that the guy made those claims after the game came out, so it's even more obvious that he didn't even play it.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My favorite part about the Wild Hunt's writing is that they're not afraid to make Geralt the butt of a joke.

*Places both hands over his eyes and then steps through a portal*

I hate portals.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cmykjester posted:

My favorite part about the Wild Hunt's writing is that they're not afraid to make Geralt the butt of a joke.

*Places both hands over his eyes and then steps through a portal*

I hate portals.

The running joke of Geralt being an Old because of his hair pissing Geralt off every time he hears it is funny too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv-fDIgiVlQ

geralt from witcher 3 is emotionally deficient in the extreme. never cries or laughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zA1efN9u5Q

never expresses grief, fear, sadness or vulnerability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvl3G3lu-BM

geralt of rivia is the perfect embodiment of hegemonic masculinity. #thewitcher3

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 22, 2016

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
This game definitely needs a cry button. I'd ride around sobbing non-stop. I need a Cry button and a Hug button, for after crying.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Supreme Allah posted:

This game definitely needs a cry button. I'd ride around sobbing non-stop. I need a Cry button and a Hug button, for after crying.

CDPR had to take the hug button out after playtesters refused to do anything but hug Dandelion once they reached Novigrad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

never expresses grief, fear, sadness or vulnerability

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv-fDIgiVlQ

geralt from witcher 3 is emotionally deficient in the extreme. never cries or laughs.
This is one of my favorite scenes of any video game. The drunken logic used in their attempt to invite a bunch of sorceresses over to party is perfect. :allears:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
If I could be as in touch with people of varying walks of life as Geralt, I would be a better person.

I can't wait for the next DLC so I can play again, I've done almost everything and explored almost everywhere.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm not very far into the game, but Geralt gets pretty fired up at the Bloody Baron.

Speaking of which, holy poo poo.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The emotional content is subtle. Basically he is not at all what I supposed he would be like, knowing only the franchise's advertisements and maybe 10 hours of one of the two previous games.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A side effect of the trial of the grasses is supposed to be the fantasy equivalent of lithium yet Geralt still has a better sense of humor and overall humanity than someone trying to see he is unemotional.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Being taken from your family at a young age and forced into the brutal training young Witchers undergo, then the Trial of Grasses which mutates the gently caress out of you and kills 7/10 of your friends, then spending your unnaturally long life as a wandering outcast monster-hunter is not a recipe for well-adjusted people.

Geralt's gruff emotionless facade is mostly an affect, and he's well aware of that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Like the set dressing around Geralt's generation of witchers is that the world drove the emotionally deficient witcher extinct, and the times are a changin such that you need fruitful, healthy personal relationships to survive on the path these days.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

zedprime posted:

Like the set dressing around Geralt's generation of witchers is that the world drove the emotionally deficient witcher extinct, and the times are a changin such that you need fruitful, healthy personal relationships to survive on the path these days.

That's an interesting way of thinking about it, hadn't really occurred to me before. Is that mentioned much in the books?

My take was that the "Witcher Code" and Witchers being emotionless were just convenient myths that the Witchers themselves helped perpetuate. Gruff up your voice and tone, the fact that you do actually have cat eyes doesn't hurt, and bam, extra respect and fear from ignorant dirt farmers. Want to reject a contract or haggle a higher price? You see, we have this Code...

The reality is that Witchers aren't much (if at all) different emotionally than normal humans. They're just really hosed up and PTSD from their training, Trial of the Grasses, and a lifetime spent on the Path as outcast monster hunters for hire.

I dunno maybe other Witcher schools did more brain-washing or other stuff that made their Witchers less emotional? But at least for the Wolf School witchers, the emotional and pyschological toll was too much and that's why none of them have any interest in training new Witchers. poo poo was harsh.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

zedprime posted:

A side effect of the trial of the grasses is supposed to be the fantasy equivalent of lithium yet Geralt still has a better sense of humor and overall humanity than someone trying to see he is unemotional.

It's stated in game, and I believe in the books as well, that emotions are trained out of them. It's not entirely the trial of the grasses so much as years of indoctrination. Witchers were an army, and were trained in a military fashion to reflect that. Imho that's partly why witchers died out, soldiers do not thrive in society, and rarely even survive, especially with that much ptsd by age twelve. Witchers are 100% a relic from before mankind was so far reaching and needed an army against the wilderness.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Speaking of the soundtrack, there's a particular track I was looking for but couldn't seem to find in the official soundtrack Youtube video. It seemed to play a bunch early on in Novigrad while searching for a particular companion, but now I haven't heard it since. The key thing I remember about it was a "twang" sound effect that would kinda strike during the quieter parts of the piece. Anyone know which track this is?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Geralt is shown in the game as somebody who is supposed to hold back his emotions and be tough because of how cruel the world he finds himself in is. He must be seen as the toughest guy in the room full of the toughest motherfuckes to do his job and he himself must in a way be that guy considering his job and the how the society is depicted in the game. That's where the myth about emotionless witchers comes from - on one hand that's how they want to be seen to survive and on the other hand that's what they become seeing all the misery doing their job.

However it's shown time and time again that things just aren't that simple. That no matter how much Geralt would actually like to be emotionless he just isn't. When poo poo hits the fan and his witcher contract ends with innocent people getting killed he feels guilty and depressed. When he witnesses another atrocity commited in the name of some war, he's furious and powerless. He witnesses all this sadness and realises that when he gets too close to people - like Yen or Ciri - he's making himself vulnerable and opens them to the dangers that he's seen happening for decades. This conflict is actually the main theme of both the games and the books and you can even observe how it influences Geralt's relations that often show traumatic or even pathological characteristic. It fucks him and his family up big time.

The beauty of this game is that this is all shown but never explicitly explained. You'll see Geralt talking tough and emotionless but behaving in quite the opposite manner, making decisions that often contradict his tough-guy pose. It's meant to be picked up on by the audience and you'll never hear Geralt directtly explain in a long monologue that he experiences an extreme emotional conflict every time he goes off on a mission. This means that: a) people keep saying that witchers are emotionless because they believe in the appearances without seeing the context b) twitter morons talk about hegemonic masculinity because nobody bashed them on the head with a Bioware-like monologue that would explain things step-by-step.

It's a complex and satisfying character building that you gather from a variety of experiences in the game where the audience isn't treated like idiots. It helps that the stories are often closer to realistic dramas (like Baron) that evoke sometimes difficult or even unpleasant feelings that the AAA+ RPG genre is often afraid to touch or never pulled them off in such a convincing way.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 23, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think the fact that everyone can disagree about the baron questlines end, as well as the Baron himself is ample evidence for the games excellent writing. Because it gives credence to both arguments whilst not forcing their own ideals upon the player. It's complex writing showing humanity.

Geralt himself furthers this complexity and it's interesting watching people who mostly watch Netflix and play games slowly wrap their heads around a complex character like him. The way he interacts with people very differently based on circumstances in addition to the players choice is pretty awesome.

It really gives me hope for Cyberpunk. As well as for games as a whole. I feel like too many companies try to keep their characters extremely
consistent, which makes them very inhuman and boring.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

My favorite moment thus far is when (Baron spoilers)when Geralt is dealing with the Crones, and in a moment of pure seething anger, he tells them he's going to find Ciri. And when he does, they are both going to come back and kill them (the Crones) Don't know why that moment stood out so much, but it felt like Geralt losing his cool because of the situation at hand and who it concerns

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a post-game quest to kill off the last crone btw?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

There is if (BAD ENDING SPOILERS DO NOT READ VERY SAD) Ciri dies when she confronts the White Frost. Geralt tracks down the last crone to get Vesemir's medallion because it's the only memento he has left. :smith: This didn't happen in my game, but I checked the other endings out of curiosity.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Only for one of the endings

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Safety Factor posted:

There is if (BEST ENDING SPOILERS DO NOT READ VERY SAD)

:colbert:

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

So graceful.

https://fat.gfycat.com/AgileWhirlwindBongo.webm

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
More graceful when he faceplants into the boat that's below the bridge.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

You're wrong. :colbert: What kind of monster gets that ending?

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ImpassionedThreadbareAfricanclawedfrog.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Safety Factor posted:

You're wrong. :colbert: What kind of monster gets that ending?

If it wasn't behind having to be a bad dad everyone should, it's a great ending for Geralt's story.