Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Cyster posted:

I'm still here. Being sensible about things, of course; a game dev's life in this business is understanding that you probably shouldn't purchase a home or have nice furniture, lest you have to shift your life to another state in a week.

There haven't been any unreported layoffs or anything. We're still working on new things, fixing bugs, etc.

Doginburninghouse.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
The hero the game deserves.

quote:

You forgot to mention that Wildstar also failed because its developers were openly and blatantly hostile to its player base. I mean for gently caress sake, how long ago was it that u/CRB_Timetravel was posting on Reddit blatantly mocking guilds that cleared content after a nerf? The loving moron did it right on Reddit for the world to see, using his Carbine tagged account. No one wants to stick around a game whose developers behave like that. There are just too many MMOs on the market.

He apparently apologized though and didn't mean it in that spirit. The dumpster fire is growing!

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Cyster posted:

I'm still here. Being sensible about things, of course; a game dev's life in this business is understanding that you probably shouldn't purchase a home or have nice furniture, lest you have to shift your life to another state in a week.

There haven't been any unreported layoffs or anything. We're still working on new things, fixing bugs, etc.

Square-Enix is looking for a new North American community team lead...

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Holyshoot posted:

Doginburninghouse.jpg

There's a reason I haven't changed my avatar back. :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cyster posted:

There's a reason I haven't changed my avatar back. :v:

I have to ask, is there any realization at all as to where things went off the rails (I.e. having Hardcore on the design doc at all) or is the team still largely confused as to why it all went bad?

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I have to ask, is there any realization at all as to where things went off the rails (I.e. having Hardcore on the design doc at all) or is the team still largely confused as to why it all went bad?

Without going into detail, there's some realization, yeah. We're working on turning some things around.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cyster posted:

Without going into detail, there's some realization, yeah. We're working on turning some things around.

I hope it works out. I'm still playing just because I enjoy the raid content. But I literally log in only to raid. That makes me a poor customer, and I certainly wouldn't cater future content towards people like me. The key is to get the like it or not "Bad" players involved in your content.

If that means LFR so be it. Also legit feedback: Christmas event was bad. The Skymall took too long to complete, and the rewards were ugly as hell. People liked the Halloween event because they could be in and out of the event instance in about 15 minutes and the costumes were fun.

Also more costumes for the cash shop. That stuff is selling like hotcakes when it looks good. That latest set? Didn't look good.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rhymenoserous posted:

I hope it works out. I'm still playing just because I enjoy the raid content. But I literally log in only to raid. That makes me a poor customer, and I certainly wouldn't cater future content towards people like me. The key is to get the like it or not "Bad" players involved in your content.

If that means LFR so be it. Also legit feedback: Christmas event was bad. The Skymall took too long to complete, and the rewards were ugly as hell. People liked the Halloween event because they could be in and out of the event instance in about 15 minutes and the costumes were fun.

Also more costumes for the cash shop. That stuff is selling like hotcakes when it looks good. That latest set? Didn't look good.

It would probably help if you could preview dye on cash shop gear (and resize the preview window) too. At some point I got a free set of the chrome armor? It looks dumb as heck in the tiny preview window in the star, but changing even one part with dye makes it look pretty rad.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Rhymenoserous posted:

If only WoW thought this way, because that is exactly what they've been doing. The sad part is that means OTHER companies are gonna do the same and go 'OOH OOH BLIZZARD IS DOING IT, WE SHOULD TOO'

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
So blizz is legitimately trying to cater to the hard raid crowd? How loving dumb. I mean as a dude that gravitates to hard modes (eventually) I thought LFR was a brilliant tool to give people something to do. I knew a ton of "LFR Raiders" who due to time commitments or whatever only wanted to eat raids in 30 minute increments.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
More of just catering to the raiding crowd in general. It doesn't seem to be pleasing anyone, and has been about the only content they've been producing. WoD has been lackluster since it's had only three raids total and no new dungeons beyond launch in its lifespan; the dungeons were made pointless incredibly quick thanks to LFR, and the fact you needed to do the stupid role trials to get into heroics but NOT into LFR, standard raids, or even mythic dungeons.

There's pretty well gently caress all to do in WoW beyond raid, run old content, and roleplay once you hit max level. You can PvP but WoW's never PvP has really been that fun to me.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
No, there's definitely catering to the hardcore crowd. The casual players haven't gotten anything much different from MoP. In WoD:

* Tier sets no longer drop in LFR, only Normal+, and for some classes are 50% or more of their DPS. A normal raider will do a MASSIVE amount more damage than an LFR player, even in equal item level gear.

* lovely, +stat-only trinkets only drop in LFR. The real trinkets are Normal+ only.

* Exclusive mounts for Heroic+ raiders.

* Exclusive item level boosts for Heroic+ raider's Legendary items. (This was changed now, but they still tried.)

* Exclusive shoulder armor models for Mythic tier sets.

Blizzard really wants people to be doing Normal+, and definitely Heroic.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

No, there's definitely catering to the hardcore crowd. The casual players haven't gotten anything much different from MoP. In WoD:

* Tier sets no longer drop in LFR, only Normal+, and for some classes are 50% or more of their DPS. A normal raider will do a MASSIVE amount more damage than an LFR player, even in equal item level gear.

* lovely, +stat-only trinkets only drop in LFR. The real trinkets are Normal+ only.

* Exclusive item level boosts for Heroic+ raider's Legendary items. (This was changed now, but they still tried.)

At some point, blizz realized that the only people still gonna play are raiding in some fashion. The real casual people don't give much of a gently caress about the stuff raiders get.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

I didn't know most of this, to be honest; I lost interest in raiding in general before even Cataclysm, when I started having less time to devote to being able to kill ice giants and all that. It's felt like they're catering more to the super casual crowd and the raiding crowd at the same time, with people being able to do poo poo like the garrison missions and handling a farm and all that other junk to have something 'productive' to do with the ten minutes they get to play the game.

But the content on both ends is incredibly shallow. You have three raids and three or four raid difficulties and the main difference is how much damage the enemies do, with some bosses being changed to be so ridiculously easy in LFR that you have to be an idiot to die to them. I'm looking at you, Kargath.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

The Chairman posted:

Square-Enix is looking for a new North American community team lead...

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

John Dyne posted:

But the content on both ends is incredibly shallow. You have three raids and three or four raid difficulties and the main difference is how much damage the enemies do, with some bosses being changed to be so ridiculously easy in LFR that you have to be an idiot to die to them. I'm looking at you, Kargath.

Oh for sure, I'm not arguing that it isn't shallow as poo poo, it is and I really, really don't like WoD. It's my least favorite expansion by far.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Oh for sure, I'm not arguing that it isn't shallow as poo poo, it is and I really, really don't like WoD. It's my least favorite expansion by far.

Same. I'm leery of Legion because WoD was supposed to be them learning from the mistakes of MoP, so them going 'oh no we totally learned from our mistakes this time' makes me kind of suspicious.

I was unsubbed for the longest time but my wife resubbed me so she could have a tank or someone to run one of her alts through a low level dungeon, so now I only ever get on if she needs me to hit things.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

You can still have your 6 figgie job and super model girl friend and do normal+. HTH

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

So blizz is legitimately trying to cater to the hard raid crowd? How loving dumb. I mean as a dude that gravitates to hard modes (eventually) I thought LFR was a brilliant tool to give people something to do. I knew a ton of "LFR Raiders" who due to time commitments or whatever only wanted to eat raids in 30 minute increments.

No they're not, they're trying to cater to dipshits that'll keep pulling skinner box levers well after the content and fun has run dry. Making raids horribly overtuned is one way to stretch the trickle of content they do make. They're actually supposed to be lowering the skill ceiling and amount of buttons players have very significantly next expansion.

They also bought King Games for $5 billion and are basically trying to end WoW as gracefully as possible.

e: And to drive the content stretching home, when I quit last tier there was a <1% completion rate on the end bosses with gear you could actually obtain from the same difficulty. They were actively made to be basically impossible until Blizzard significantly buffed the power levels of gear from that instance after several months.

John Dyne posted:

Same. I'm leery of Legion because WoD was supposed to be them learning from the mistakes of MoP, so them going 'oh no we totally learned from our mistakes this time' makes me kind of suspicious.

I was unsubbed for the longest time but my wife resubbed me so she could have a tank or someone to run one of her alts through a low level dungeon, so now I only ever get on if she needs me to hit things.
It's going to be The Pandering Expansion and a rehash of WoTLK. Only instead of good gameplay and fun social dynamics it's just going to be shallow, grindy trash with extra glitter on the sword models.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 22, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

You can still have your 6 figgie job and super model girl friend and do normal+. HTH

Er okay, not sure what that has to do with my post.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
Yeah most well adjusted adults consider being obligated to waste 10+ hours a week on a single video game pretty excessive. It kind of excludes having a 6 figgie job and girlfriend lmfao

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Rhymenoserous posted:

To be fair, all they really did to LFR was make the reward for doing it, match the effort it took to clear the place.

Mythic sets look significantly better, and there's always been exclusive mounts/titles for end tier raiding (Hell you can still get the Blackhand mount at 100% now, and it's a 2 minute fight).

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Thunderbro posted:

Yeah most well adjusted adults consider being obligated to waste 10+ hours a week on a single video game pretty excessive. It kind of excludes having a 6 figgie job and girlfriend lmfao

Most well adjusted adults waste more time watching TV 10 hours is hardly a waste. And lmfao if you need 10 hours a week to do normals. Literally 3 hours a week on a Sunday. Sorry you suck at time management :shrug:

Er okay, not sure what that has to do with my post.

Your post makes it seem like you have to have no life to do normals +. Which isn't the case. Also why do people who's only monsters they kill that can be done in starter gear need to be super powerful? Is killing that blue 5 man dungeon 1 second faster that big of deal? You get the appropriate raid gear to kill the bosses you're going after. If you want game genie powers in your video game with no challenge go play a single player game.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

Your post makes it seem like you have to have no life to do normals +

It didn't but ok.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

No, there's definitely catering to the hardcore crowd.

How is having to do normal+ mean you're hardcore?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

How is having to do normal+ mean you're hardcore?

It's a term that means different things to different people.

But keep posting, you are definitely owning me or whatever. :shrug:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

It's a term that means different things to different people.

But keep posting, you are definitely owning me or whatever. :shrug:

lmabo

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'd argue that if you have to set your "Video Game Schedule" it's no longer casual. I mean granted this is a thing I do, but I don't kid myself that it's something everyone has time to do. There have been periods in my life where planning anything ahead of the next hour is pretty much impossible.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'd argue that if you have to set your "Video Game Schedule" it's no longer casual. I mean granted this is a thing I do, but I don't kid myself that it's something everyone has time to do. There have been periods in my life where planning anything ahead of the next hour is pretty much impossible.

Correct. But if a video game can't encompass all walks of life then it's a pile of garbage :goonsay: . I do agree however that WoW needs more poo poo to do outside of raiding.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

This is the worst part of MMOs and doubly if you're a raid leader or anybody crucial to a group's success. It makes you stay subscribed and play far past the point where you find a game boring or awful

Holyshoot posted:

Most well adjusted adults waste more time watching TV 10 hours is hardly a waste. And lmfao if you need 10 hours a week to do normals. Literally 3 hours a week on a Sunday. Sorry you suck at time management :shrug:

Your post makes it seem like you have to have no life to do normals +. Which isn't the case. Also why do people who's only monsters they kill that can be done in starter gear need to be super powerful? Is killing that blue 5 man dungeon 1 second faster that big of deal? You get the appropriate raid gear to kill the bosses you're going after. If you want game genie powers in your video game with no challenge go play a single player game.
except you can like, have a sex during TV, cook a meal, or turn it off at any point without it screaming and pissing at you to keep playing so you don't fall behind your friends

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 22, 2016

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
e: ^^ This is 100% true. I was the main tank for my raid group. I saw all the content and then had to re-do it to the point where it was muscle memory and there was nothing really interesting or challenging about it.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah I agree with this. LFR's casual as gently caress because you just log in and queue and gently caress around a bit until you get in it. Normal and higher tend to be a bit less casual, if not specifically 'hardcore' since it requires you to actually plan time in your life to do something inane like beating up a giant orc.

For me, 'I don't have time for this' wasn't a 'OH MY GOD MY LIFE IS SO BUSY I CAN'T FIND TIME FOR THIS' thing but 'ugh why am I doing this, this is a waste of my time, I could be doing literally anything else.'

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

John Dyne posted:

e: ^^ This is 100% true. I was the main tank for my raid group. I saw all the content and then had to re-do it to the point where it was muscle memory and there was nothing really interesting or challenging about it.

Yeah I agree with this. LFR's casual as gently caress because you just log in and queue and gently caress around a bit until you get in it. Normal and higher tend to be a bit less casual, if not specifically 'hardcore' since it requires you to actually plan time in your life to do something inane like beating up a giant orc.

For me, 'I don't have time for this' wasn't a 'OH MY GOD MY LIFE IS SO BUSY I CAN'T FIND TIME FOR THIS' thing but 'ugh why am I doing this, this is a waste of my time, I could be doing literally anything else.'

Yeah that's a really soul-crushing feeling when you're like "I could be doing literally anything else. I could be hanging out with my friends. I could be reading. Why the gently caress am I doing this?"

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

John Dyne posted:

Aren't there crazy idiots who love Wildstar who absolutely LOATHE the idea of a Steam release for the game for some disjointed reason? I remember it either coming up in this thread or the last one.

Every MMO nerd hates Steam releases because it brings the masses to their corner of the internet even though their game would die if it didn't go Steam.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Thunderbro posted:

Yeah that's a really soul-crushing feeling when you're like "I could be doing literally anything else. I could be hanging out with my friends. I could be reading. Why the gently caress am I doing this?"

Basically why I stopped. I did normal HFC 3-4 times, then as I was queuing for the fifth week I just sort of realized I could be playing literally any other game and having a lot more fun.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Thunderbro posted:

except you can like, have a sex during TV, cook a meal, or turn it off at any point without it screaming and pissing at you to keep playing so you don't fall behind your friends

To be fair, none of the stuff you listed are things that goons ever have to worry about.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Thunderbro posted:

The absolutely hilarious part is when entire guilds get this way over time (by getting stuck on overtuned content, having people who've played for years and no longer have fun, whatever) and it comes collapsing down like a house of cards the moment one or two people finally realize it and throw in the towel and everyone else suddenly realizes they finally have an excuse to stop wasting their lives.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Asimo posted:

The absolutely hilarious part is when entire guilds get this way over time (by getting stuck on overtuned content, having people who've played for years and no longer have fun, whatever) and it comes collapsing down like a house of cards the moment one or two people finally realize it and throw in the towel and everyone else suddenly realizes they finally have an excuse to stop wasting their lives.

This happened to basically every raid group in WoW Goon Squad and I'm actually happy about that because we actually have fun chatting and chilling in other games when we're on at the same time

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

randombattle posted:

They aren't very optimistic in that forcast. gently caress wildstar though so it adds up.

I'll say, a big fat zero for 4Q 2016 :rip:

First Doobie, later Wildstar and probably Star Citizen. 2016 will be a rough year for things goons like to make fun of. Good job MS has infinite money or we might've lost the Bone too! :cry:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Turns out this is just some investment firms forecasts. The actual quarterly numbers don't come out till next month. Or so it's being reported. Probably just nerd delusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Turns out this is just some investment firms forecasts. The actual quarterly numbers don't come out till next month. Or so it's being reported. Probably just nerd delusion.

Yeah but this is Wildstar. If there are new numbers to come out, whatever the source, they will be worse

• Locked thread